Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Ronnie2K (New York Knicks) and LD2K (Los Angeles Lakers) played a full game of NBA 2K14 earlier today. If you missed the stream you can view it in the embedded video above, over at DmanUnt2014's YouTube page or click here to view it on Twitch. The game was played on Superstar/Sim.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Bad mindset. You don't wanna give the excuse if "its last game of the generation, I don't expect much to improve." That's IMO, just ridiculous. Yeah you can't enhance everything like a PC, but the art department can easily edit all these jerseys in 1 texture edit in Photoshop and it will be easy.

You want the current gen to be big and great to hype the next gen instead of assuming all work went to next gen when really it wasn't much of an improvement to someone's eyes.

Tap Tap Tapatalking away from my iPhone

I think it is reality. 2k basketball has improved tremendously over the last couple of years but I don't think that it is realistic for them to squeeze in every little thing that we want in the last version on the current gen platforms. I do believe that based on the information we have received so far about 2k14, that we will have a lot to forward to on the next versions of the game. There is just no way possible to have everything that you want in this years version.

# 122 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Yeah, I understand. It does get repetitive and some people do complain about the craziest things. But who I am to say what's important to them? Like you said, most of everyone on here is a diehard 2K fan, so they will still buy the game anyways lol. I'll be optimistic with you and hope it makes it into the retail version and it definitely should be in next-gen.

We can only hope and as I said before the crowd noise has always been an issue in 2k games. Baseball, hockey and basketball. It was good in NFL 2K5 and APF2K8 but i'm not sure why they can't seem to get it right on the current games. Having a smart crowd would sure add to the atmosphere of the game. It would nice to have it so loud in opposing arenas that it affects how you play. Maybe one day.

# 123 MarvinOida @ 09/07/13 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
I think it is reality. 2k basketball has improved tremendously over the last couple of years but I don't think that it is realistic for them to squeeze in every little thing that we want in the last version on the current gen platforms. I do believe that based on the information we have received so far about 2k14, that we will have a lot to forward to on the next versions of the game. There is just no way possible to have everything that you want in this years version.
Yeah, but I'm not saying EVERYTHING, just its bad to think that they can't improve the looks of the game because I believe they can. I actually am near sure that they can improve the looks but not even adding/changing code. Gameplay and space wise, yes we're at max. But graphically, it still lacking accurate colors and I know they can do it if OS users can and NLSC members can make jersey patches:

Tap Tap Tapatalking away from my iPhone

# 124 VDusen04 @ 09/07/13 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
You seem to want to keep punishing them for their ridiculously good previous efforts by saying they should be making similar gains every year - which imo isn't fair or practical to expect. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but in a game that was already doing things several years ago that most other sports games weren't doing - or still aren't doing today - you seem to keep expecting them to make the same monumental leaps every year/continually lapping the competition when there are limitations from a technology standpoint and I'd think even a developmental standpoint.

Sure, it's possible for every release to feel like they've thrown the kitchen sink into the game - but I think it's unfair to hold them to that exact standard every year. There are so many little things that get added to the game during any year that much gets unnoticed in part because they don't toot their own horn - such as people in the crowds realistically trying to "yell" at a ref that an opposing team's player travelled, the way much of everything along the baseline is interactive, the varied coach reactions, etc. But you seem to be faulting them for not having added the things YOU'D like added, based on your list. There are limits to what can be done. It only makes sense that in a game that already has a lot of little things content that they're going to be able to add the same amount every year where it's noticeable. Especially to people that play the game near non-stop for 11months out of the year.

I mean c'mon - it'd be nice to see them add players taking off/putting on their warmups when they come in/out of a game. But that's an out-there expectation imo. I'm still amazed they have various animations for players waiting to check into a game, varied free throw reaction anims that mix seamlessly with the individual player free throw routines, etc. I don't see how this game can be faulted for not paying attention to the little things (sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying)
I see where you're coming from. I didn't really mean my rundown to be a pointed and precise wishlist. I was kind of just throwing examples out there off the top of my head. I was trying to reason why this year's game hasn't looked particularly fresh in comparison to other iterations.

And you're surely right that I'm a little bummed that 2K seems to not be doing a lot of the things I want them to do. I'm guessing we all have things we look for from the games we buy and when games do not follow through on our wishes, it can be a little tough to reconcile.

In short, for me, NBA 2K's been my basketball game since 2K2 because their priorities seemed to be in sync with mine (with the exception of ESPN NBA Basketball 2004). The simulation and authentic replication of real life NBA basketball is my driving motivation here. I like good gameplay, but I admit I'm a sucker for stupid small things that look cool and remind me of real NBA (everything ranging from the implementation of signature jump shot animations to the Detroit Pistons pre-game flame throwers a few years ago).

I understand what you're saying about getting those small things a few years ago and now punishing them when they no longer keep pace. That is not my intent, I'm just kind of scrambling to see how this game is going to appeal to me with such an apparent focus on modes I don't feel truly involve NBA replication (MyPlayer, MyTeam, Crew), no real graphical improvements, and an apparent lack of the aforementioned little things.

I'm a basketball fiend and I know there's a lot that can't be said for a game until it's in one's hands (for better or worse). It's just, coming off a game I didn't love last year (for the first time in a while), I'm hesitant and admittedly a little pessimistic about what I've seen so far.

# 125 Taer @ 09/07/13 02:56 PM
It was really hard for me to draw any further conclusions from this video. Ronnie2k's and LD2K's playstyle is a lot different from mine, and they seemed to actually emphasis the flashy gimmicky offensive orientated aspects of 2k14, instead of the basic fundamental goodness a lot of us here enjoy.

The "flashy" passes they highlighted were nothing I've not done in 2k13 before, so my worry that these might be too emphasized in 2k14 is a little alleviated.

On the other hand, the number of "peripheral" animations (ie. Steve Nash arguing referee calls) seemed to be a bit much for my liking so I have a new concern. In 2k13, these were borderline game-breaking when I'd be dinged for "leaving my assignment" as the unbreakable animation was playing out on the other side of the court of my player gyrating his disappointment.

I play a lot of Lakers, so I really hoped I'd get a feel for 2k14 differences over 2k13 but unfortunately all I got a sense was that Kobe seems to have the high ratings he has had the last few years and he will be used a lot by people who do not know how to use the rest of the team.

The presentation snippets shown were too few and too little for me to get a good feel on them but at least we saw a few more aspects then in any prior video.

I guess it has reached the point where I am going to need to play the release version before I can get any other solid conclusions drawn.

# 126 wxn8822 @ 09/07/13 03:06 PM
I am sure there are a lot of things reserved for the next gen. As for what I saw above, it is a good game, but doesn't really warrant $60.

# 127 Xxstr8xRecklessxX @ 09/07/13 06:10 PM
gameplay looks decent has few flaws and more to come when i buy the game for sure i see but just curious.......has anyone notice that on every 2k that whenever you go against a team they show highlight reels for both teams as a intro but, its just only the team your going up against right now than other teams for example on the video from where it starts 0:00 to 0:13....just lakers and knicks highlights not lakers and knicks hightlights of going against other teams like heat, bulls, celtics, etc..... just wondering if anybody notice that and maybe their was less complaints about tht.

# 128 VDusen04 @ 09/07/13 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxstr8xRecklessxX
gameplay looks decent has few flaws and more to come when i buy the game for sure i see but just curious.......has anyone notice that on every 2k that whenever you go against a team they show highlight reels for both teams as a intro but, its just only the team your going up against right now than other teams for example on the video from where it starts 0:00 to 0:13....just lakers and knicks highlights not lakers and knicks hightlights of going against other teams like heat, bulls, celtics, etc..... just wondering if anybody notice that and maybe their was less complaints about tht.
Yeah, small thing, but definitely noticeable. It popped out to me right away last year because I used the Rockets in an Association initially and every single game, Jeremy Lin would be dominating the pre-game intro in a Rockets uniform facing that evening's opponent... even though he'd never played that team as a member of the Rockets in his life.

It kind of felt like creepy fast forward. And it's weird because I feel like 2K used to do them right (with the pre-game highlights being against different opponents, home and away). Not sure what happened there.

# 129 Sinner @ 09/07/13 06:37 PM
Quote:
We can only hope and as I said before the crowd noise has always been an issue in 2k games. Baseball, hockey and basketball. It was good in NFL 2K5 and APF2K8 but i'm not sure why they can't seem to get it right on the current games. Having a smart crowd would sure add to the atmosphere of the game. It would nice to have it so loud in opposing arenas that it affects how you play. Maybe one day.
Crowd atmosphere would make the game so much better, they should take a note from their College 2k8 game and maybe use that as a starting point. Had that 6th man crowd effect going, something similar would be a good start except on a NBA level.

Quote:
I've always hated that, little thing but still a little annoying. I just put in my mind that its from a previous game last year when the two teams played. They could actually get rid of it and do some player intro's, show more players warming up, show the crowd..whatever.

# 130 Bad_Intentions @ 09/07/13 09:53 PM
I'm going to hold out for the ps4 version....hurry up Nov 15th!

# 131 alabamarob @ 09/07/13 10:27 PM
Liked the paint contact. Don't like the full court passes, and the generic dribbling.

# 132 Boilerbuzz @ 09/07/13 10:27 PM
Quote:
It's very noticeable. But it's that or have all of the art and assets for every team loaded in the game. That's a huge waste.

# 133 Vast @ 09/07/13 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck
Oh and Bargnani got 5+ REB. Career high ? lol He is a career 5.7 per 36
Coach Woodson has instilled a defensive rebounding mentallity in Bargnani and he will play well after checking out in Toronto.

This game looks amazing.

IMO The meat and potatoes of the gameplay is damn near fantastic. Sure there are a few things to tweak here and there, but the added collisions and the more seamless way to come in and out of contact; Opens the game up and adds new much needed wrinkles to the gameplay when offense and defense interacts.

Despite Ronnie's mockery of my Knicks in videogame form. I was able to take out of it everything i need to know in terms of contact in the paint and defense.
I was actually rooting for my Knicks at the end of the game.

# 134 Deck @ 09/07/13 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Kafe
How do you know ? Lol didn't even play a game yet
He's a 7 footer and 1st pick, rebounding will come with experience and NBA body right ? That's what Toronto fans had been wishing for years !(I wasn't moking the game, but when I see bargs rebounding I can't help myself)

# 135 iBEgoinHAM @ 09/07/13 11:56 PM
wesley johnson has been one of the best players in 2k since he been in the league tho

# 136 NvME @ 09/08/13 01:02 AM
Quote:
Well it's not life or death, it's a video game, so it's pretty easy to be optimistic about something like this. I wish more folks felt this way, then there would be less whining about something that they don't own yet.

I think I would actually prefer to read anything as opposed to reading you complain about complainers to tenth post in a row. You should take your advice and give it a rest. It's not life or death, so someone voicing their personal concerns that aren't in line with yours over a video game should not emotionally affect you to this extent. Reading through this board at times gives me the impression it's owned by Kim Jong Un. No dissenting opinions allowed.

For the love of all that is holy, give it a break.

# 137 KyotoCarl @ 09/08/13 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
Minus online and my player which are the most played. I liked some of the new animations but the only gameplay enhancement I noticed is like someone stated earlier the animations that create space is gone from what I've seen, better contests in the paint I guess, and It seems as though you can stay in front of your man better even though I wouldnt say these guys d is on point.....there were few instances.

There were just not enough positives to convince me to buy. I doubt there will be much of a change hands on but of course we'll try the demo as the last test.

All in all I been playing nba 2k since inside drive but this game is just getting to clunky and sloppy to me. It doesnt look real enough to me and im not talking about graphics. Hopefully next gen will look and move different but Im really not seeing it looking much different than for what it is now.
Yes but in My Player it's not a problem since you can control it, and the CPU doesn't throw up an unrealistic number of 3's and make them.

If you are playing online and 3 point shooting is a problem in this regard then you are probably shooting too many 3's per game and a quick game player who is just there to have fun and realism isn't the biggest concern anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

# 138 SkyWater1417 @ 09/08/13 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexskHmyw3w

Chris Smoove Thoughts...

# 139 Vni @ 09/08/13 09:50 AM
I wish they would have shown the 'manuals escape dribbles' if I can call it that. Branching a move with a jumper. We're yet to see it.

Is there a gameplay dev insight coming?

# 140 Taer @ 09/08/13 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I wish they would have shown the 'manuals escape dribbles' if I can call it that. Branching a move with a jumper. We're yet to see it.

Is there a gameplay dev insight coming?
It is too bad that they also did not show how their teams cpu-contolled players branch into different sets within the play-calling system.

Lots of little things could have been highlighted in this video instead of focusing on Steve Nash arguing referee calls or Coach antics on the sidelines.

Any number of in-depth insights would be very welcomed in the following weeks. As others, I missed those from a few years back. They are much more welcomed then the current marketing scheme with guys on utube.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.