Home
WWE 2K14 News Post

2K Sports conducted a stream this afternoon detailing what's new in Universe Mode in WWE 2K14. Universe mode allows you to set up WWE shows by playing as the GM with your own matches, storylines, and PPV event cards.

Some of the new additions this year:
  • New this year are custom rivalries, which will allow you to set up your own feuds throughout the course of the mode. The rivalry manager allows you to have short or long rivalries, and they can begin and end and different times.
  • Improved menus which will have news, rankings and statistics within your own personal Universe.
  • The game will also set up rivalries by itself if you choose not to use the manager.
  • You can now manager wrestler attires within the mode. You can customize the look of each wrestler as you move through the mode.
  • Other customization options include the ability to edit the rosters of each show, edit the tag teams, titles, and the storylines.
  • You can now set up an actual King of the Ring PPV in Universe Mode complete with the tournament along with other matches within the card. This is accomplished via the PPV editor, which also gives you the option to select a 'No Man's Land" PPV theme, which features a PPV built around different cage matches.
  • Winning King of the Ring will result in a Superstar carrying the title of King of the Ring for the rest of the year.
  • You can set up a Divas Themed PPV now with Diva Titles being able to be named a major title.
If you want to watch the full stream, you can do so at this link.

Game: WWE 2K14Hype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
WWE 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 SmashMan @ 10/12/13 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redapple
but you shouldnt have toooo....the AI should be so good every match should be like that without out you fixing it, that should be a givin.
The series needs an overhaul, but it's clear they're not moving in that direction. How do you suggest they improve the AI (read: make it "so good"), considering their current system?

There's no wrestler logic to guide the AI, so the player is forced into leading the match, moreso than we have in past games.

You can't force AI to play out a 'real' (scripted) pro wrestling match. You can, however, include logic and tendency options that dictate how the AI approaches a match - they've just decided not to go that route. What we have is a fighting game with wrestling moves, so with this system we have to really work to make matches play out in a realistic fashion.

# 62 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/14/13 09:03 AM
Wow I didn't even realize that the game comes out in 2 weeks

even worse I have to wait a month or 2 to even get it smh

# 63 KANE699 @ 10/15/13 12:54 PM
Will Money in the Bank winners carry their briefcase down the ramp until they cash in?

# 64 ggazoo @ 10/16/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstopher5
I think too many people miss the point when it comes to pro wrestling games. It's not a sport. I could go in there with Cena and destroy Punk in about 3 minutes on any difficulty any day. Or, I could go in there, make it look real, trade moves and strikes, and make it feel like a real match. Then, towards the end when we are both badly hurt, whoever gets a big move off first and gets the pin/sub wins. That's how you play a wrestling game. That's how I do at least. The challenge is trying to put on an amazing match where you sit back and go, "Wow. That's better than they do on TV."
I couldn't disagree more. We shouldn't have to "work a match" in order to play a wrestling game. It should be challenging to play.We shouldn't have to pretend to be losing in order to get enjoyment out of it.

And I hate to compare, but Fire Pro had the best of best worlds. Challenging gameplay (for the most part), and it had the "Audience Match", where you did in fact have to work a match to get a good reaction from the crowd and a high match rating. There was a point to it, an objective. Plus, it was optional.

Of course, if you're playing with a buddy, none of that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
The series needs an overhaul, but it's clear they're not moving in that direction. How do you suggest they improve the AI (read: make it "so good"), considering their current system?

There's no wrestler logic to guide the AI, so the player is forced into leading the match, moreso than we have in past games.

You can't force AI to play out a 'real' (scripted) pro wrestling match. You can, however, include logic and tendency options that dictate how the AI approaches a match - they've just decided not to go that route. What we have is a fighting game with wrestling moves, so with this system we have to really work to make matches play out in a realistic fashion.
Exactly. Again, see Fire Pro. With the WWE games, each character looks different, and have different move sets... but they all preform exactly the same way. Like I said earlier, it's boring.

# 65 MizzouBravesFan @ 10/19/13 04:37 AM
Ok I haven't played a WWE game in ages so bear with me...is this mode basically a Be the Booker type mode?

I mean can you plan out storylines way in advance, determine champions, which matches take place where, etc?

Wondering just how deep and customizable it is for the player?

# 66 theCP @ 10/19/13 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
Ok I haven't played a WWE game in ages so bear with me...is this mode basically a Be the Booker type mode?

I mean can you plan out storylines way in advance, determine champions, which matches take place where, etc?

Wondering just how deep and customizable it is for the player?
You can set rivalries using the new Rivalry Manager, where you determine whobyoubwant to feud and the duration of the feud (not sure what options you have in terms of longevity). If you let the game do the booking, you won't get say in what matches happen other than through setting rivalries.

If you adjust each card as it happens, you can make any match happen any time. I have used an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of rosters, champions, feuds, and plans. It works, but I am really looking forward to how Rivalry Manager will simplify things.

# 67 nate1986 @ 10/19/13 03:42 PM
I'm wondering if there is a limit to how many rivalries you can have on universe mode

# 68 bigbob @ 10/19/13 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1986
I'm wondering if there is a limit to how many rivalries you can have on universe mode
The number floating around is something like three per show.

# 69 theCP @ 10/19/13 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Good enough for me. If I do 5 matches per show, I only have 2 matches to worry about booking, unless the standard booking is good.

# 70 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/19/13 08:06 PM
I think 4 would be perfect that way Every Champion(s) can be involved in a feud on each show

# 71 Jm0ney2001 @ 10/19/13 11:16 PM
was anyone else concerned that it seemed like if two wrestlers were feuding they would just face off every week in a different match? That's not how feuds work. the work with run ins, promos, tag team matches. My fear is its going to be really lame if its just week after week with the same match up. ntm how would a triple threat work can one wrestler be in two feuds??

# 72 nate1986 @ 10/20/13 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I don't pay much attention to how many rivalries the WWE shows usually have on average but three per show seems low

# 73 theCP @ 10/21/13 12:17 AM
I've been thinking over it more, and I have to retract my previous statement. 3 feuds per show would be too low for me, since I plan on doing 5 matches on the weekly shows and 7 for ppv.

I don't plan on having divas in my universe so only 3 titles, but I do want non-title feuds too.

# 74 Caveman24 @ 10/21/13 01:01 PM
Good improvements need online leagues next .

# 75 Calinks @ 10/25/13 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redapple
i dont feel like Universe mode has really changed since wwe 12 . like wwwe 13 was broke and not usedable and wwe 2k14 is pretty much wwe 12 with a tacted on Rivaliry Manager.

i wont speak to much untill i play it myself but has any one played friday night fight games? there season/Universe/my player mode (what ever you want to call it) rules why cant they just copy that???even the ufc games are better. wwe games have a real noob feel about them .
Friday night fight games? What games are those?

# 76 SoxFan01605 @ 10/26/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm0ney2001
was anyone else concerned that it seemed like if two wrestlers were feuding they would just face off every week in a different match? That's not how feuds work. the work with run ins, promos, tag team matches. My fear is its going to be really lame if its just week after week with the same match up. ntm how would a triple threat work can one wrestler be in two feuds??
Execution remains a question mark of course, but they already stated that it won't just be weekly matches:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Sitterson
-Hey guys,
So, since yesterday I've been seeing some confusion about how the rivalry manager works. Some folks have assumed that setting a rivalry between two Superstars will cause them to have a match every single week on their respective show. That is absolutely not the case, and I'm not even sure where that rumor came from.

Now, it is possible - especially with a shortened rivalry - that two Superstars might have a match every week of the rivalry. But that's something that happens on WWE television as well sometimes with shorter rivalries.

In most cases, when storylines are allowed to play out, you'll see...other stuff happen in addition to just regular matches: Cutscenes, matches with other opponents, etc.

Getting ahead of some of the "But-but-buts!" I've seen some places...In the livestream, we simulated a full month to get ahead to a pay-per-view, so you don't actually get to see what happened during that entire month. Apparently some confusion arises from the fact that when we looked at the rivalry history, it showed a bunch of matches and outcomes. But, if you look again, you'll see that not all of those matches are tagged as involving BOTH Bryan and Orton.

I hope this clears things up for folks, as I was a little concerned when I saw people taking potshots at Rivalry Manager. Frankly, it's the biggest step forward Universe Mode has ever made, and if you want to get involved with it, will completely change the way your Universe operate, for the better.

If you don't believe me, ask some of the folks who were at our playtests, forum regulars like RAWFShowtime, Miketheratguy and CyberOcelot.

Got a lot going on right now (as you can probably imagine), so I won't be commenting in this thread too much, but just wanted to get some clarification out there for you guys.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.