Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Virtual Currency (VC) in NBA 2K14 is a problem and if consumers don't voice their concerns, it's going to get worse.

Sure, there are ways to get free VC via the mobile app (if you can get it working), but gamers shouldn't be required to use VC to do simple tasks such as changing a lineup. We can understand using it in MyTeam (as it has been successful for EA Sports and Ultimate Team), but to have it added into other modes really has the community fired up. Customization isn't as fun as it once was, since VC is needed to update accessories and the ratio is ridiculous. Could this be next?

While there are many posts here at OS slamming it, other sites such as NeoGAF and Reddit have also been killing it from day one. PastaPadre has written a detailed article on it and the hate is spilling over.

VGRevolution warned users about it last year. Twitter is filled with complaints from users actually purchasing VC and not receiving it or crashing/freezing in modes, losing what they've earned. With no official word from 2K Sports, this is becoming a very large concern.

Where do you stand on VC?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Sundown @ 12/11/13 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
How are we encouraged to NOT play this game?? For me if it takes 82 days to play a regular season, that's about 75,000 VC. If I'm using the app every day and getting free VC, that's probably another 82,000 VC. So in less than 3 months I could be sitting on 150,000 VC just from playing the game that is actually good. I don't see the issue here.
You just saw the dynamic-- someone defending VC actually said he wasn't about to play the games to earn them. 3 months to make some reasonable progress in one mode if you forgo items like shoes and accessories?

The app is another problem. It should NOT reward you more for a couple of taps and swipes as playing full games. If you're arguing that an iPhone app (that doesn't even work for me) makes the actual in-game VC effort-to-reward ratio a balanced and satisfying one, you might be doing it wrong. :P It actually argues the opposite.

# 142 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
You just saw the dynamic-- someone defending VC actually said he wasn't about to play the games to earn them. 3 months to make some reasonable progress in one mode if you forgo items like shoes and accessories?

The app is another problem. It should NOT reward you more for a couple of taps and swipes as playing full games. If you're arguing that an iPhone app (that doesn't even work for me) makes the actual in-game VC effort-to-reward ratio a balanced and satisfying one, you might be doing it wrong. :P It actually argues the opposite.
Im not about to play those 3 months just to upgrade my MyCareer guy

# 143 seanbarkley @ 12/11/13 04:35 PM
Quote:
These are my personal preferences.

I don't feel like I'm necessarily "owed" everything on the disk-- but I do feel like the content I'm purchasing should be satisfactory and complete (and games should have proper endings without additional spending). I think they do better to not include DLC on the disk and have them be downloads even if it's ready on launch day, just to fix perception issues.

I also imagine that DLC on the disk sometimes necessitate additional after-release assets, work, patching, or testing. Most DLCs can't be completed unless they've been started well during the production cycle of the main game, so in the end all I care about is expectations, quality, and value.

I'm also fine with microtransactions for minor progress boosts that increase variety in some games or add bits of additional cosmetic content that is hopefully constantly updated. I'm okay with how it appears to be implemented in some games like BF4. Progress in the base game should still be satisfying. BF4 manages microtransations without being a Pay-To-Win game.

Progress in the base game in 2K is not satisfying. It doesn't qualify as any of the above. In some ways, it may be the most expensive, unabashedly Pay-To-Win game ever released when we consider modes like MyTeam with its price increases and The Park.

Anyway, these are my personal levels of tolerance for DLC and microtransactions. At the end of the day, I ask if the content is worth it and whether a disproportionate amount of content or progress is held hostage behind a paywall.
Matter of tastes man, I seriously believe that 70€ ($96) should give you the key to enjoy every aspect of a game. What some companies are doing nowadays is selling you the game in chapters (the 1st one being 70€ and the 2 DLCs 20€ each. Total: 110€ ($150)), and that's abusive imo. I respect DLCs with work behind them (as Ballad of Gay Tony, Dishonored - the knife of Dunwall or some Borderlands 2 DLCs), but what some other companies are doing is just insulting.

I'm OK with MTs for specific modes of a game (like MyTeam or Ultimate Team), but what 2K has done with this game was just nasty. What is next? Releasing the game with just generic shoes and if you want more pay them? Release the game without legends and if you want them burn your credit card?. If people keep supporting this be sure that things like these will end up happening.

Maybe I'm a romantic and remember when we had complete long lasting games with everything in from day 1, but I guess Nintendo is the only company which still hasn't sold its soul for extra revenues. Who knows, maybe the next Mario will have Luigi as a DLC and mushroms have to be paid with microtransactions.

# 144 poloelite @ 12/11/13 04:37 PM
Quote:

No sir, I'm saying the balance of VC is off in how it is distributed, but overall I don't think it's a bad thing. You don't have to forgo shoes or accessories for months. You can spend the VC you earn however you choose to. I'm just pointing out that by playing the game (1a day) and tapping the app (which the iPhone app works perfectly for me), you can make around 150,000 VC in less than 3 months. I think partially as gamers we gotten used to getting the game and blowing through it in 2 weeks, that building over the course of a year until the next iteration makes us even more impatient.

The thought of us having a regular NBA rookie that isn't dominant, grinds for playing time and may only have one good skill his first couple of months in the league is too much for some. To me that could be seen as sim because most rookies share this fate, but if you want your guy to progress quicker they give you the option to purchase VC. If you're against purchasing VC, between playing and the app, you can earn enough by the All Star break to reasonably progress in whatever mode you're playing. The fact that guys want to play one mode and then start off high in another, isn't really sim in my opinion.

# 145 DEFAULTCAMERA @ 12/11/13 04:49 PM
Quote:
No sir, I'm saying the balance of VC is off in how it is distributed, but overall I don't think it's a bad thing. You don't have to forgo shoes or accessories for months. You can spend the VC you earn however you choose to. I'm just pointing out that by playing the game (1a day) and tapping the app (which the iPhone app works perfectly for me), you can make around 150,000 VC in less than 3 months. I think partially as gamers we gotten used to getting the game and blowing through it in 2 weeks, that building over the course of a year until the next iteration makes us even more impatient.

The thought of us having a regular NBA rookie that isn't dominant, grinds for playing time and may only have one good skill his first couple of months in the league is too much for some. To me that could be seen as sim because most rookies share this fate, but if you want your guy to progress quicker they give you the option to purchase VC. If you're against purchasing VC, between playing and the app, you can earn enough by the All Star break to reasonably progress in whatever mode you're playing. The fact that guys want to play one mode and then start off high in another, isn't really sim in my opinion.
I agree with the rest of the guys on this, but I also see your point. But the only way to some what make this acceptable is have all the modes carry over each year. For example the guy you put hours into on 2k14 should carry over to 2k15. You should not have the headache of starting all over again, the same should go for your VC. If I have 300,000 VC in 2k14 when I purchase 2k15 that's what my account should show on the new game not make me start all over.

# 146 zimmtron @ 12/11/13 04:49 PM
I can just see it in 2k15, you only start with the ability to use the jazz and bucks, then you have to buy the right to use any other team, haha

# 147 KayOtic723 @ 12/11/13 04:57 PM
Its not as bad as your making it takes what 500 vc to edit a line up if you play one game maybe 2 in your franchise then you will have enough or in MYPLAYER by the end of your rookie yr see how much vc you make its a ridiculous amount people complain because they don't want to work for anything last time i check you can go play nab live….

# 148 KayOtic723 @ 12/11/13 04:58 PM
nba* sorry

# 149 tom180 @ 12/11/13 04:59 PM
I think it's a joke... you buy this game to have full modes available and instead we have to go through all these hours to unlock coins... honestly...

# 150 godylla @ 12/11/13 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFAULTCAMERA
I agree with the rest of the guys on this, but I also see your point. But the only way to some what make this acceptable is have all the modes carry over each year. For example the guy you put hours into on 2k14 should carry over to 2k15. You should not have the headache of starting all over again, the same should go for your VC. If I have 300,000 VC in 2k14 when I purchase 2k15 that's what my account should show on the new game not make me start all over.
The carry over aspect is going to be implemented in the coming version of MLB The Show. I am jacked to hear that, and hopefully other games will start doing the same.

# 151 asu666 @ 12/11/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmtron
I can just see it in 2k15, you only start with the ability to use the jazz and bucks, then you have to buy the right to use any other team, haha
It almost feels like that's a possibility now. 2K should make the top of the disc look like wood grain too, so when we can no longer connect to the server, we have a nice coaster.

# 152 poloelite @ 12/11/13 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFAULTCAMERA
I agree 100% with the carry over. If they don't want to for our myPlayers because of technical reasons, they could at least let us carry over VC from previous games. I have a ton of VC earned in 2K13 that's worth less than the dollar these days lol.

# 153 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayOtic723
Its not as bad as your making it takes what 500 vc to edit a line up if you play one game maybe 2 in your franchise then you will have enough or in MYPLAYER by the end of your rookie yr see how much vc you make its a ridiculous amount people complain because they don't want to work for anything last time i check you can go play nab live….
They rather complain about the VC thing then play a ps2 game on next gen

# 154 WaddupCouzin @ 12/11/13 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willh313
Ok...this is a valid argument but honestly most of the stuff you do in franchise is purchasable after a few exhibition games(even if you lose on HOF you get 400-500 VC per game)...without spending a single dime of real money...has the micro-transaction thing gone too far...in a word, yes; but by no means does this game REQUIRE you too spend that extra cash(you spending the extra dough or wanting to is matter of your own impatience)...I have not spent any extra money on the game and get everything I want out of it...They only put $h!t like this in the game because a lot of gamers now a days whine about wanting more sooner and if you want that then there's the option. Same thing for Battlefield and it's instant upgrade kits and damn near every other game that is made by people willing to compensate whiners...It used to be that you could buy a game play it and be happy with what you got in the box until something else came along...then people started saying theres not enough levels...we need new this...I beat it so fast that...so now companies bleed you for stuff like this because a lot of you guys are spoiled and can't play game for more than a month without getting tired of it....I'm sorry to be the one who said this but...the main reason the whole dlc thing in general is getting out of hand is BECAUSE of gamers...remember when we used to get Expansions....things that could have almost been whole games of their own....WE RUINED that....The vast number of us who can't WAIT or have to run through a game in one weekend instead of taking the time get everything out of the games we have....I know this wont be popular but I felt it needed to be said....I mean guys you don't even notice that we don't even have cheat codes in the game anymore....developers are probably like ..."why make secrets when they are just going to run through the game and not try everything it has to offer anyway"....again i understand the anger here but you guys gotta realize this kind of stuff is our fault...when what you paid for stopped being enough this is what happened
You said it! I remember people saying on NBA2K10 my player, it takes too long to upgrade your player, and they remedied that. Some of this blame goes to the gamer as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 155 Sinner @ 12/11/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Czar what's up family?? I could be reaching here, but I think the point they're getting at is they want the game to last all year long. So building a player in a more sim time frame and for us to not have Gold Players until we go deeper into myTeam. I'm not sure how domination mode works, but if you beat the team and get 3 stars, do you get a gold player from that team?
There's no need to make little simple things cost VC to make the game last, they didn't have to do anything they've done to make the game last. The only reason they did it is for more money...period.

If they wanted to make this game so people will play it longer and make it last you know the BEST way to do this? Make a damn good game that allows you to play the modes in it how you want.

Even in one of your earlier post you mentioned people who say they are "sim" should like the way VC is used.....I'm having a very hard time putting "SIM" and "VC" in the same sentence as linking one with the other.

There is no sim in needing VC to change rotations in MyGM, there is no sim in your MyPlayer having a contract paying you in VC...it's just not working for me or many others.

Also in your earlier post you mentioned being able to play the app to earn VC...well there is a problem login in to play the App, so can't do that.

# 156 barimanlhs @ 12/11/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
VC is going nowhere. But I'm confident in saying that we can expect a complete overhaul come next year.

The only place VC belongs is an optional gameplay mode. Not something that the majority of its players buy the game for.
VC makes sense for player attribute improvements, but why do we need to pay for basic things like an arm sleeve, bracelet, etc, something that used to be COMPLETELY free. The amounts seem to be correct for MyCareer but horrible for every other facet of the game.

# 157 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 06:08 PM
Looking at it really should have just gave us the graphics and kept everything from CG for NG a lot of people are turned off by what they did ..hell you see a lot of people still playing it on the 360

# 158 MarvinOida @ 12/11/13 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Looking at it really should have just gave us the graphics and kept everything from CG for NG a lot of people are turned off by what they did ..hell you see a lot of people still playing it on the 360

I saw 20K Online. ON 2K13 LAST NIGHT

So yeah, that's kinda telling us a lot at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 159 eslimm @ 12/11/13 06:14 PM
It's even worse when they want to choke you out of even more money with VC and deliver a fully bugged game with lack of control options (online leagues) .. Makes no sense to me

(Galaxy S4)

# 160 TalenT @ 12/11/13 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayOtic723
Lol Dude...the point is not "how much" it takes to edit your lineup. Our issue is why should you have to pay AT ALL to change a lineup? Certain things should just be VC free in our opinion. I don't think we're overreacting at all.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.