Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Ok, after much anticipation we finally have the OSFM Hybrid roster ready for release.

What is the OSFM Hybrid you ask?

It is the OSFM Full Minors with a full ratings re-rate. It gives a uniform blanket rating system that brings everything together and makes very realistic game play.

What does this include?

The roster is based off the OSFM, which if you don't know is a collection of great contributors, run by Knight165 who create minor league players and major league players who were not included in this game.

We have re-rated all stats for both minor leaguers whom we had info for as well as all the SCEA original players who came in the game.

The stats we use are ZiPs preseason ratings created by Dan Szymborski, they are gathered into a spreadsheet and formulated to match ratings values in the game.

All hitting and defense ratings have been changed as well as pitcher ratings not including Pitch Edits - they will be included in V2.

Potentials were also reviewed and altered where necessary.

The roster has accurate 40 man rosters to today's date, as well as accurate as possible hitting lineups and pitching lineups for all levels. Players who are currently on 60 day disabled lists or suspended are not included in their respective teams 40 man roster and can be found on the A ball roster.

Also we have added many AAA and AA players who were not included in the OSFM - some prospects may have been removed or been put in the FA Pool to make room for players who should be in the roster - you really don't want very young top prospects playing in AAA or even AA.

Stance, Motion and Equipment updates were done where we knew changes needed to be made or could be made.

PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE OVERALLS FOR PLAYERS AS A WAY TO GUAGE THEIR VALUE Players overalls are weighted by a variety of things based on the position they play. With this re-rate most players did go down in overalls, and really the league balances out to where it should be. Player ratings are what they are. We made some adjustments to physical attributes but the pure stat based attributes are the same base across the board.

This is what the Overalls should represent

90+ - All Star and Superstar Caliber

80+ - high end regulars and All Starts

70+ - everyday players and bench players

60+ - Bench players and career minor league players

50+ - low level prospects and Organization fillers

Players Ratings have not been updated yet - that will be included in V2.1, so players like Solarte, Bettances, Melky Cabrera, Mark Buerhle to name a few will have lower ratings then you would expect based on their performances so far this season.

A roster like this can't happen without the support of many great individuals whom deserve a ton of credit - I hope I remember everyone and spell their names correct

ttbucsfan001 created our spreadsheet
teeds - my partner in crime, created a ton of players, handled the transactions and organizing of players we needed to create and replace
cultbuscus - spent countless hours creating and helping input ratings
sky63 - assisted for several days importing the OSFM players
DarionC14 - did 90% of the hitter re-rate
mmorg - did most of the OSFM re-rate
totte - helped with testing the roster
davis25 - helped create players
shaneomac - helped with rating and player creations

I ask that if you have constructive criticism that is fine but do not use this thread to complain. There is well over 100 hours poured into this project and several broken relationships and marriages.......lol

The roster is a little late this year, but I am very proud to put my name behind it. I hope everyone enjoys this and if you want the version with Pitch Edits it will be completed and released ASAP.

Thank you to all the helpers and the community for helping us along the way with suggestions, transaction updates and just entertaining posts.

The roster can be found in the Vault under the following name:

OSFM HYBRID 2014 V1.............psn Crapinmyshoe

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Madden's Jowels @ 05/27/14 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBYJT
Probably has to do with the limited data on Puig. They said they'd fix it.

What "data" would be used for arm strength? Assists? Willard basically said that the data they used was only for hitting and pitching ratings. "We made some adjustments to physical attributes but the pure stat based attributes are the same base across the board."

Don't get me wrong I'm not just hung up on Puig here (not a huge Puig fan by any stretch lol), it's just got me thinking, if they got Puig's arm soooo wrong, and then apparently Arenado was given a poor fielding rating despite being a premiere defensive 3rd basemen, then what else could be wrong on the defensive side?

The hitting and pitching stuff, it's all based on projections and they're the same across the board, so there's no nitpicking that. But the objective things like physical tools (speed, arm strength, etc), if those got mangled then that would be a little weird.

Willard I'm not hating on your roster or anything, not trying to be a downer haha, just mostly wanting to know what the deal is with these concerns and if we should be worried or if it's part of your master plan?

# 62 URBYJT @ 05/27/14 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
What "data" would be used for arm strength? Assists? Willard basically said that the data they used was only for hitting and pitching ratings. "We made some adjustments to physical attributes but the pure stat based attributes are the same base across the board."

Don't get me wrong I'm not just hung up on Puig here (not a huge Puig fan by any stretch lol), it's just got me thinking, if they got Puig's arm soooo wrong, and then apparently Arenado was given a poor fielding rating despite being a premiere defensive 3rd basemen, then what else could be wrong on the defensive side?

The hitting and pitching stuff, it's all based on projections and they're the same across the board, so there's no nitpicking that. But the objective things like physical tools (speed, arm strength, etc), if those got mangled then that would be a little weird.

Willard I'm not hating on your roster or anything, not trying to be a downer haha, just mostly wanting to know what the deal is with these concerns and if we should be worried or if it's part of your master plan?
Oh no I agree with you, just trying to provide reasoning for the oversight.

# 63 Willard76 @ 05/27/14 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I've would just use 2013 fangraphs data

Arm Strength
Arm Accuracy
Reaction=Instinct
Catching=Hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was what we used - but when you actually look at some of the numbers they are very flawed so we had to make a judgement call at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu12
Quick Question:

Since the ratings seem to be weighed by position, if I were to change the primary position of a player (example: Peter O'Brien has moved to the outfield from catcher in the Yankeees' organization, probably for good), would that mess up the offensive ratings that you gave him because now he's not at catcher and he'd need different ratings for a different position? Thanks!
His overall would be the only thing that changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahweee
Player Position Rea Fld ASt AACC blk
Manny Machado 3B 84 88 90 88
Chasey Headley 3B 66 68 60 64
Miguel Cabrera 3B 33 45 73 61

Andrelton Simm SS 87 90 91 88
Alexi Ramirez SS 63 58 65 50
Jed Lowrie SS 31 46 34 35

Dustin Pedroia 2B 81 86 52 81
Jason Kipnis 2B 58 50 47 58
Daniel Murphy 2B 41 28 47 50

Paul Goldschmidt 1B 70 71 55 66
Chris Davis 1B 44 50 57 44
Prince Fielder 1B 23 15 27 26

Yadier Molina C 70 89 89 95 85
Miguel Montero C 44 58 59 58 33
JP Arencebia C 20 3 36 4 44

Gerardo Parra RF 76 86 86 91
Nick Markakis RF 54 66 57 70
Daniel Nava RF 41 43 37 50

Carlos Gomez CF 83 77 79 72
Colby Rasmus CF 67 53 49 22
Shin-Soo Choo CF 37 45 56 64

Alex Gordon LF 81 86 83 93
Alfonso Soriano LF 42 43 62 47
Matt Holliday LF 22 28 45 32
This seems to give similar numbers as the ones we had to work with

Quote:
Don't look at the overall ratings, sure, I can buy that. I know these were tuned to play a great game and not to have pretty overall ratings for the stars. I'm 100% down with that.

But how do you justify Ryan Braun's arm strength being like 25 points higher than Puig's? Those most certainly couldn't be based off ZiPs projections so somebody made a judgement call on that one and definitely goofed it up. That's just a physical trait, no skill involved. Puig has a cannon. I'm guessing it was probably a data entry error, somebody reading the wrong cell off a spreadsheet.
I think Puig got missed somehow - I agree his arm is probably the best in baseball. As for Braun, his defensive rating was that of a LF, which for that position his arm was incredible - this is where using metric ratings sometimes work but don't work because they are based of a specific skill set

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
is the beard situation that bad for the ps4 if i use these rosters. i am using the knight roster and i havent really seen an issues on the ps4. i need to know if i should restart and use this. once again willard good job. i had your roster last year
It just needs adjusting, because of layers and textures that were needed on Ps3 give out of control hair on the Ps4 - we will be correcting that after the V2 release

Quote:
^^^ I like the idea of using the Fangraphs fan scouting or whatever

Although, it's tempting to just stick the ratings into the game as is since they're base-100 and base-99, I'm guessing we'd get better results by coming up with some sort of algorithm haha.
These were the rating we used

K guys, I apologize for not being around to answer these questions here is the lowdown on fielding ratings.

First off there are 1500 players on this roster - or somewhere around there - there is bound to be the odd thing missed. We will take suggestions to fix and go back and look at the roster - that I promise

We used Fans ratings for fielding off fangraphs, but if there was no rating we either went with the SCEA rating or ballparked it - I watch a ton of games and have played the game for years and feel I have a pretty good feel for this stuff - but not perfect. Here is my explanation below of how some ratings work.

Arm Strength and accuracy are what they are - but arm strength is based on that position - accuracy is based on throwing error percentage.

Reaction - is basically a player first step towards a ball - this is one of the great equalizers in this roster - just because a CF for instance is fast - doesn't mean he should run down every ball like you see in the default rosters and vice versa. You will really see how this plays out in the roster and how much it gives real gameplay.

Fielding Ability is based on overall skill and fielding percentage.

The other side affect is the BABIP issue and the fact that we had to lower fielding a bit to allow anything to get hit this year - you will find players with high contact rates hitting a lot of balls on a line right at fielders otherwise.

When I get the roster back from the pitch edits, I will look at the fielding again and try to make fair adjustments based on what everyone is noticing. Abreu because he did not play last year had no fielding stats so he may have been missed

Willard

# 64 Madden's Jowels @ 05/27/14 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76
This was what we used - but when you actually look at some of the numbers they are very flawed so we had to make a judgement call at times

His overall would be the only thing that changes

This seems to give similar numbers as the ones we had to work with

I think Puig got missed somehow - I agree his arm is probably the best in baseball. As for Braun, his defensive rating was that of a LF, which for that position his arm was incredible - this is where using metric ratings sometimes work but don't work because they are based of a specific skill set

It just needs adjusting, because of layers and textures that were needed on Ps3 give out of control hair on the Ps4 - we will be correcting that after the V2 release

These were the rating we used

K guys, I apologize for not being around to answer these questions here is the lowdown on fielding ratings.

First off there are 1500 players on this roster - or somewhere around there - there is bound to be the odd thing missed. We will take suggestions to fix and go back and look at the roster - that I promise

We used Fans ratings for fielding off fangraphs, but if there was no rating we either went with the SCEA rating or ballparked it - I watch a ton of games and have played the game for years and feel I have a pretty good feel for this stuff - but not perfect. Here is my explanation below of how some ratings work.

Arm Strength and accuracy are what they are - but arm strength is based on that position - accuracy is based on throwing error percentage.

Reaction - is basically a player first step towards a ball - this is one of the great equalizers in this roster - just because a CF for instance is fast - doesn't mean he should run down every ball like you see in the default rosters and vice versa. You will really see how this plays out in the roster and how much it gives real gameplay.

Fielding Ability is based on overall skill and fielding percentage.

The other side affect is the BABIP issue and the fact that we had to lower fielding a bit to allow anything to get hit this year - you will find players with high contact rates hitting a lot of balls on a line right at fielders otherwise.

When I get the roster back from the pitch edits, I will look at the fielding again and try to make fair adjustments based on what everyone is noticing. Abreu because he did not play last year had no fielding stats so he may have been missed

Willard

Thanks for the explanation Willard. That all makes sense. What do you think I should edit Puig's arm to myself? Did you guys have a system for converting Fangraphs scouting into a rating?

# 65 buczneverlose @ 05/27/14 11:37 PM
Tell me not to look at the ratings, that's what everything is based off of. Look at the batting averages after a simmed season. Pitchers own this roster set. Only three players hit over .300 in the first simmed season. Give me a break. These rosters need some major work.

# 66 WaitTilNextYear @ 05/27/14 11:40 PM
To be honest, some people won't play until the defensive ratings have had similar tender love and care as Jeezy gives the pitch edits, but luckily for me I am not that ocd about these rosters. Pitch edits mark the end of my personal rosteritis.

The problem with trying to standardize defensive ratings is that state-of-the-art defensive metrics (that are not proprietary info) are awful. Even if you guys use a system, there are bound to be problems with that--i.e. good OFs with bad FLDG %. Good SSs with bad UZR. Those stats fluctuate so much year over year it's kind of comical.

I will probably run through the hybrid set as I do my pitch edits and if I see anything glaring like a noodle-armed Puig, I'll just bump the ratings in my personal set.

Willard - I have run some sims using your roster vs OSFM v2.0 and can PM you data on how that's turning out if you'd like. The least I can do after you guys cranked out this masterpiece....some of the variations I am already getting out of Hybrid+MLB14 sim engine in limited sims is pretty impressive.

# 67 WaitTilNextYear @ 05/27/14 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buczneverlose
Tell me not to look at the ratings, that's what everything is based off of. Look at the batting averages after a simmed season. Pitchers own this roster set. Only three players hit over .300 in the first simmed season. Give me a break. These rosters need some major work.
Be aware of your sample size before knocking these rosters....

I am also simming and in one sim I got 6 .300 hitters and in another there were 12 .300 hitters.

I do agree that it looks qualitatively as though the balance has shifted slightly to the pitchers (looking at team-by-team season K, BB, and ERA numbers), BUT real life MLB is trending that way anyway...note how the hitting #s trend down over the last 5 years.

# 68 authentic @ 05/27/14 11:46 PM
Update on the pitch edits:

I have handed the roster off to ILFT. I got through the Cubs and will take a break while he gets after it. When he's done, I'll pick it back up. Still steaming at twitch.tv/osauthentic

I think I'll play a game with the pitch edits!

# 69 Pandetta @ 05/28/14 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Be aware of your sample size before knocking these rosters....

I am also simming and in one sim I got 6 .300 hitters and in another there were 12 .300 hitters.

I do agree that it looks qualitatively as though the balance has shifted slightly to the pitchers (looking at team-by-team season K, BB, and ERA numbers), BUT real life MLB is trending that way anyway...note how the hitting #s trend down over the last 5 years.

I completely agree, however the last 3 regular seasons had 24, 25, and 26 .300 players. That is pretty far from 12, much less 6 or less.

Willard and his team have done a fantastic job, and even the roster team understood the batting was a tough fix.

Honestly the current issues seem fixable and the roster is an incredible effort, especially for a v.1

# 70 buczneverlose @ 05/28/14 12:29 AM
Sorry if I'm coming across as knocking the rosters. I'm just blown away and lost with some of the sim results and ratings even tho you tell me not to look at them. That's impossible. Pretty much destroyed Puig, Arenando and plenty of others I could name. I just want to know the logic behind it all. When I wake up tomorrow I'll make sure to play a game and see how it pans out but as for me I think I'm gonna take on the task of doing the pitch edits to Version 2 of OSFM and use that for my franchise because it fits me better and provides the stats I want to see. Knowing how tough rosters are to do, I'll never knock them. It's time consuming and sometimes things slip and things don't work out as planned to what some people want. We all have our own personal preference and Willard and company did a great job in doing this and they should be commended for it. It worked great in the past I just want something to my liking and be able to start my franchise. It's the end of May. I'm more frustrated they didn't release this game any earlier so we can figure this stuff out in time for opening week/month of the season. Hope you understand. I actually would love to help fix what I feel is wrong but that wouldn't work cause you guys have a different way of doing it and I don't think I would be satisfied with any end result. Once again personal preference.

Disclaimer I am a little moody cause I spent the past 13 days in the hospital with a double kidney infection and I'm wrecked on pain meds so it makes me edgy, sorry if I offended anyone.

# 71 buczneverlose @ 05/28/14 12:36 AM
Quick question about pitch edits

When you edit the pitch types, velocity, break and control, does it factor into the overall rating or is it just the stamina, clutch, hits, hr, walks, k's and what not that determines a pitchers overall? Seems like the overall stays the same when I was testing it out but I just want to make sure .

# 72 vidgames @ 05/28/14 12:39 AM
Nice work men. Looking at Mariners defensive ratings and see you guys downgraded Miller and upgraded Zunino. That's all I need to see. Nice work!!

# 73 WaitTilNextYear @ 05/28/14 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
I completely agree, however the last 3 regular seasons had 24, 25, and 26 .300 players. That is pretty far from 12, much less 6 or less.

Willard and his team have done a fantastic job, and even the roster team understood the batting was a tough fix.

Honestly the current issues seem fixable and the roster is an incredible effort, especially for a v.1
It's true but then again it really depends on your units of measurement. How important is the # of .300 hitters really? We already know OBP is much more important. That being said, I agree that the pitching has an edge mostly due to decreased BB levels. Even so, I quoted you just my 1st 2 sims...would really need 100 sims to make any conclusions. And I'm not going there, lol.

It'll be interesting to see, however, if the pitch edits will move the needle away from pitching or not. I don't think anyone can say for sure until the edits are done.

# 74 KBLover @ 05/28/14 12:42 AM
Quote:
To be honest, some people won't play until the defensive ratings have had similar tender love and care as Jeezy gives the pitch edits, but luckily for me I am not that ocd about these rosters. Pitch edits mark the end of my personal rosteritis.

The problem with trying to standardize defensive ratings is that state-of-the-art defensive metrics (that are not proprietary info) are awful. Even if you guys use a system, there are bound to be problems with that--i.e. good OFs with bad FLDG %. Good SSs with bad UZR. Those stats fluctuate so much year over year it's kind of comical.
Yeah, probably because chances vary so much or the type of chances. Some balls are just harder than others, even when hit to "routine" depths/locations. Probably would need a sort of 3-year data set and that's hard (impossible?) to come by.

It's too bad because defense is important for sure, probably more so than pitch types in this game (you can get anyone out on any pitch, but fielding being off alters that ability for fielders).

That said - it wouldn't stop me from using the rosters. I could rate them similar to other players with the ability (rate Puig at least as high as other strong RF arms in the roster), etc.

# 75 msmith05 @ 05/28/14 12:50 AM
Question about starter stamina. Playing with Astros cosart is cruising at 74 pitches in 7th. Up 3-0. Then it says he is tired. Do i need to adjust a slider or is that right

# 76 HighCmpPct @ 05/28/14 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith05
Question about starter stamina. Playing with Astros cosart is cruising at 74 pitches in 7th. Up 3-0. Then it says he is tired. Do i need to adjust a slider or is that right
Depends what pitching style are you using? Classic, meter?

If you using anything besides pulse there's a good chance it's tied to the effort your putting on all your pitches, lots of high effort pitches drain stamina faster.

# 77 Pandetta @ 05/28/14 12:58 AM
Quote:
It's true but then again it really depends on your units of measurement. How important is the # of .300 hitters really? We already know OBP is much more important. That being said, I agree that the pitching has an edge mostly due to decreased BB levels. Even so, I quoted you just my 1st 2 sims...would really need 100 sims to make any conclusions. And I'm not going there, lol.

It'll be interesting to see, however, if the pitch edits will move the needle away from pitching or not. I don't think anyone can say for sure until the edits are done.

Oh of course, that's why I said I agreed with you. Average matters perhaps for awards, and I mainly used it to reference earlier complaints.

I certainly don't think it is something significant to worry about.

# 78 WaitTilNextYear @ 05/28/14 12:59 AM
Quote:
Quick question about pitch edits

When you edit the pitch types, velocity, break and control, does it factor into the overall rating or is it just the stamina, clutch, hits, hr, walks, k's and what not that determines a pitchers overall? Seems like the overall stays the same when I was testing it out but I just want to make sure .
It definitely affects overalls.

Just saw Ryan Brasier of LAA go from 63 to 66 OVR after editing him.

# 79 HighCmpPct @ 05/28/14 01:01 AM
Quote:
It definitely affects overalls.

Just saw Ryan Brasier of LAA go from 63 to 66 OVR after editing him.
Definitely effects it just on a smaller scale than the per/9 attributes do.

# 80 URBYJT @ 05/28/14 01:07 AM
Quote:
Sorry if I'm coming across as knocking the rosters. I'm just blown away and lost with some of the sim results and ratings even tho you tell me not to look at them. That's impossible. Pretty much destroyed Puig, Arenando and plenty of others I could name. I just want to know the logic behind it all. When I wake up tomorrow I'll make sure to play a game and see how it pans out but as for me I think I'm gonna take on the task of doing the pitch edits to Version 2 of OSFM and use that for my franchise because it fits me better and provides the stats I want to see. Knowing how tough rosters are to do, I'll never knock them. It's time consuming and sometimes things slip and things don't work out as planned to what some people want. We all have our own personal preference and Willard and company did a great job in doing this and they should be commended for it. It worked great in the past I just want something to my liking and be able to start my franchise. It's the end of May. I'm more frustrated they didn't release this game any earlier so we can figure this stuff out in time for opening week/month of the season. Hope you understand. I actually would love to help fix what I feel is wrong but that wouldn't work cause you guys have a different way of doing it and I don't think I would be satisfied with any end result. Once again personal preference.

Disclaimer I am a little moody cause I spent the past 13 days in the hospital with a double kidney infection and I'm wrecked on pain meds so it makes me edgy, sorry if I offended anyone.
Did you use the sliders that Willard recommended? They compensate for lower contact numbers.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.