Home
News Post

Joe Montana tweeted this CG image of himself... Twice, for some reason... with the following hashtags.

Quote:
#youvewaitedlongenough #joemontanafootball16

He then followed it up with a bunch of pictures from the Legends of Candlestick flag football game, which featured retired players (see the full rosters here) with Joe Montana and Dan Marino quarterbacking the respective sides.

The image Montana tweeted doesn't really match up, does it? Could we get a Joe Montana Football 16 announcement in the coming days or is it just wishful thinking?

With the exclusive license still in the hands of EA, if a videogame version of Joe Montana Football does arrive, it won't have any current NFL player names, likeness, etc.

Maybe it will feature retired players, similar to All Pro Football 2K8? Maybe it's going to be a simple mobile game. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Either way, if we do see a football game from Joe, with a 16 at the end of the tweet hashtag, we probably won't see it until 2015. Let's hope for the best.

If anything solid comes from this, we'll update everyone.

UPDATE: Thanks to jlfarris (via FaceMask), it does in fact look like a mobile game is in the works, utilizing Unreal Engine 4.

What are your thoughts?

screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Member Comments
# 341 kjcheezhead @ 02/26/15 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
That said, if this is truly your attitude towards community in game development - disregarding community input entirely and speaking disrespectfully of your target audience - you will fail as a game developer. A video game franchise is only as strong as its community, and all things considered I'd say Madden NFL's community is pretty lively, in some part due to active fostering and stewardship of said group of fans by the people who make the game and in part because people like talking about shared interests in the general case.
I'm a bit confused by this part here. Specifically the disregarding community input and speaking disrespectfully of the target audience. Are you referring to the JMF 16 team? Because, if you are, I just don't see it. They've released next to no info, but just like I tried to explain to BringBackSim, I don't see them disregarding community input here. I can find countless posts on this site that say all the poster wants is APF with a franchise mode, or the route based passing, or a good story mode for a my player mode. It's all right here already because we've been begging for a new game for years. Silence does not mean they are ignoring community input.

And how are they disrespecting the target audience? Damon has mentioned 2k5 half a dozen times now always hinting that that game is the bar to strive towards. When people post vids on his Twitter or ask for certain features he comments and says he enjoys watching them. He's been nothing but respectful and anyone can tell he knows this group.

Posters like myself doubt the value of these vids and this "look at my request" he gets, but he's never been what I would call disrespectful or ignored his community in any way.

# 342 kjcheezhead @ 02/26/15 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
No, he wasn't referring to Damon, he was referring to me hypothetically due to my views on community involvement.
I didn't explain that well. I understand he meant you, but I get the idea that people feel like the silence from this team means this team is actually doing that same thing. I'm still trying to explain my position that just because this team didn't put up a poll asking what's important to us doesn't mean they haven't gotten useful feedback for this game from sites like this.

# 343 kjcheezhead @ 02/26/15 12:34 PM
So Damon tweeted that they are in a "Sprint" leading up to a push out. To any developer types in here, is there a typical time for a Sprint? Like an insane final 3-4 days, or is it a week or two or a whole month? Does it vary on the project? Just trying to get a better idea to how close we are to info.

# 344 mestevo @ 02/26/15 01:17 PM
A sprint is a predetermined period of time to accomplish tasks specified before it began. Typically a week or two but there's no hard and fast time and when done you typically plan and begin another sprint after.

If they're full on agile (a method of planning and executing tasks/work) then this is just a reference to how they work.

# 345 kcsam @ 02/26/15 02:23 PM
If they are in deed utilizing an agile methodology, a "sprint" could mean a couple of things.

1) If they are in a "sprint" to complete the development/coding then we are still looking at a few months (depending on what the scope of the project is)

2) If they are complete with development, then they should be entering the testing phase of the project. A "sprint" in that sense would mean that they are near completion of the testing phase and preparing for implementation/release.

It just depends on where they are in the process of the project. Who knows, testing could last anywhere from a month to 6 depending on the scope and granularity of requirements.

# 346 kjcheezhead @ 02/27/15 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
I'm a big advocate for community involvement even if it's something as simple as an idea board like a lot of companies have done over the years, but I think it's fairly obvious that it's too late for that now anyway, so the debate--though fun--is not relevant like it would've been last year.

All we can hope for now is that they've developed a product that has at least the base things I think we all want; deep customization without the restrictions we got in All-Pro Football, strong football fundamentals, good animation and good player models, good presentation, and some kind of mode that extends the game and makes it worthwhile beyond just "Play Now", be it franchise or something else.

If they're able to hit those marks, we'll have something special.

Now I'm just waiting to see how they make a proper, official confirmation.
This is what I mean when I say I don't think direct input is as important as some believe. In that little paragraph you described what the majority of us want that would make this game a success.

# 347 mestevo @ 02/27/15 12:57 PM
Looking for franchise/superstar mode(s) that are fun to play and provide a reason to keep playing them. Other games got too cute and blew up this use case. Backbreaker's gameplay issues and depth got in the way of an interesting idea of soccer-style offseason team movement and was relatively lifeless off the field while APF omitted franchise and superstar modes completely.

There will be a gimmick, because 'not madden' isn't enough (not even close) for a game to be successful... my hope is it doesn't get in the way of an enjoyable and repeatable experience for my particular use case.

Branding, etc is all secondary to me, but is important for larger/wider adoption and success.

# 348 kjcheezhead @ 02/27/15 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
I don't think having those base things mean it's going to automatically be a 1 Million+ seller (which would be a big victory for a non-NFL licensed football game, budget-depending of course), but I do think it will at least clear what our group expects and have a potentially solid foundation which is a bare-minimum to establish a loyal cult following.

The thing is, even if you have those things, how they're done is just as important. When team sharing was announced for All-Pro Football, everyone was jacked for it. What we didn't know at the time is that team sharing was going to be done in this ridiculous, long Omega Code-level code system and that it had to be written down because there was no other way (you could take a picture, but, bleh). I remember a post some years back where an ex-2K dev was saying that they should've looked into using a system of being able to copy and paste into online messages through XBL and PSN and then be able to copy from it, but nobody on the team considered it at the time.
How they do it is important, but it's on the developers and their talents. Like I mentioned before, people wanted a football game where multiple defenders got involved in tackles. Tiburon developed protak as the answer. Terrible design from top to bottom but nothing fans could've provided in feedback would've changed the fact that there are better ways to address this issue, including just adding 2 and 3 man animations like APF had.

# 349 kjcheezhead @ 02/27/15 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Looking for franchise/superstar mode(s) that are fun to play and provide a reason to keep playing them. Other games got too cute and blew up this use case. Backbreaker's gameplay issues and depth got in the way of an interesting idea of soccer-style offseason team movement and was relatively lifeless off the field while APF omitted franchise and superstar modes completely.

There will be a gimmick, because 'not madden' isn't enough (not even close) for a game to be successful... my hope is it doesn't get in the way of an enjoyable and repeatable experience for my particular use case.

Branding, etc is all secondary to me, but is important for larger/wider adoption and success.
I hope they skip the gimmick. I don't believe they need one. APF didn't succeed because it lacked a franchise and needed more customization, it would've done well enough to warrant a sequel at least if they had avoided that. If anything, the "gimmick" was adding legends and that only cost them more to make the game. It probably would've been more profitable with all generic players.

I don't play soccer games, but I don't believe PES had a gimmick either, it succeeds without a license basically by not being FIFA. EA tends to go with more focus on user control in its other games like Madden and NBA live, and sacrifices a lot of realistic movement. There is room for a competitor to create a football game that doesn't have a "madden" feel to it without resorting to a gimmick.

# 350 mercalnd @ 02/27/15 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I don't play soccer games, but I don't believe PES had a gimmick either, it succeeds without a license basically by not being FIFA.
PES has quite a few licenses actually, including an exclusive Champions League license, as weel as licensed French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch leagues.

# 351 stos5363 @ 02/27/15 11:28 PM
i found this a cgi artist page of a headscan of joe montana stating he was working on an NFL game for joe montana he also show goal posts he's working on check out the links people !!! The goal post pic states its for unreal enginge i think we have a NFL game folks !!!!!

http://artforgames.com/joe/nfl-stadium-project/

# 352 mestevo @ 02/28/15 12:39 AM
He owns a company: http://airship-images.com/

...and they're in the UK.

The office park they list looks to be a bit newer/different style than what Mr. Grow posted.

# 353 mestevo @ 02/28/15 01:08 AM

# 354 kjcheezhead @ 02/28/15 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
PES has quite a few licenses actually, including an exclusive Champions League license, as weel as licensed French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch leagues.
Thanks, I know nothing about soccer leagues. I got the impression PES' licenses were nothing compared to FIFA from comparisons like this one.

http://features.en.softonic.com/fifa...015-comparison

Quote:
Alessandro - FIFA 15: The work done by EA is impressive. There are over 25 championships, all licensed. You also have the complete Premier League, along with all the stadiums from the first division. In short, there is something for everyone.

The range of licenses offered by PES is notoriously worse: only leagues from Argentina, Spain, France and the Netherlands are fully licensed, while leagues from Brazil, the United Kingdom, Italy and Portugal have only partial licenses. Having the rights to the Champions League, Europa League, European Super Cup and the Copa Libertadores doesn't compensate for the clear difference.

# 355 Boltman @ 02/28/15 10:04 AM
Y'all getting sidetracked lol.

# 356 kjcheezhead @ 02/28/15 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
He owns a company: http://airship-images.com/

...and they're in the UK.

The office park they list looks to be a bit newer/different style than what Mr. Grow posted.
On the plus side, this company worked on Ryse and Forza 2, both console/PC games. On the downside they were Xbox one exclusives. Looks like I may have to buy another console.

*edit Both those games were produced under the Microsoft studios umbrella. Doesn't Microsoft have a partnership with the NFL of some kind?

# 357 TemplateR @ 02/28/15 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stos5363
i found this a cgi artist page of a headscan of joe montana stating he was working on an NFL game for joe montana he also show goal posts he's working on check out the links people !!! The goal post pic states its for unreal enginge i think we have a NFL game folks !!!!!

http://artforgames.com/joe/nfl-stadium-project/

I seee...............nothing. Blank.

# 358 roadman @ 02/28/15 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Interesting point KJ, yes Microsoft did partner with the NFL for exclusive content at the launch of Xbox 1 and Microsoft did have NFL Fever prior to the NFL license going exclusive to EA. Hmmmmmm, the plot thickens [cue dramatic chipmunk].
Hopefully, it's more than just this, tablets and fantasy football stuff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ewing-of-games

# 359 Jr. @ 02/28/15 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Hopefully, it's more than just this, tablets and fantasy football stuff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ewing-of-games
I think this stuff is already done. Surfaces were all over the sidelines (and commercials about them during the games) this year. And I remember X1 commercials advertising people watching football, checking fantasy stuff, and Skyping all through the console.

It's a 5 year contract though, so lots of time for more stuff to come about.

# 360 roadman @ 02/28/15 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I think this stuff is already done. Surfaces were all over the sidelines (and commercials about them during the games) this year. And I remember X1 commercials advertising people watching football, checking fantasy stuff, and Skyping all through the console.

It's a 5 year contract though, so lots of time for more stuff to come about.
That's just it, though, nothing about the future has been advertised.

So, is it status quo, or is there more?

Let's hope for more.

Stay tuned.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.