Home
The Golf Club News Post

The Golf Club is set to tee off for Xbox One and PC on August 19th for $34.99. The PlayStation 4 version arrives later this month, pending certification approval.

Read the full press release below.

“THE GOLF CLUB” TEES OFF NEXT GEN GOLFING THIS AUGUST

HB Studios Announces Full Retail Release Date For Golf Simulator

Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced that its golf simulation, The Golf Club will launch on Xbox One through Xbox Live on August 19, 2014. The Golf Club will also leave early access for a full retail release on Windows PC through digital download distribution service Steam the same day. The PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club will launch later this month pending certification approval. Credited with making some of the most critically acclaimed sport franchises on the EA SPORTS label, HB Studios has developed the first golf title to bring procedurally generated courses to next gen console. The Golf Club is a highly realistic game that allows players to fully customize their golfing experience by creating and playing the course of their dreams with the built-in Greg Norman Course Designer.

“We are incredibly excited to give golf fans the game they’ve always wanted,” said Anthony Kyne, Producer at HB Studios. “No other golf game provides players with this level of customization and sophistication in course design on PC and next generation consoles. We’ve worked extremely hard to get The Golf Club ready for launch, so it’s really rewarding to officially announce the launch date and share that with our fans.”

The Golf Club is a fully featured golfing experience where users can play against friends’ and rivals’ best rounds in turn-based/asynchronous competition modes enhanced by cloud-based technology. The game supports Tours & Tournaments, stroke play, match play, and 4-ball.

The Golf Club’s Greg Norman Course Designer allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses, which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme, terrain features, and number of holes. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new members of The Golf Club through the Message Center.

The game is due for worldwide release on Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC Windows platforms priced $34.99.

The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, no loading times between holes, and the course designer feature.

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Arrowhead21 @ 08/18/14 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
You can buy psn cards from retailers that have a voucher code you enter into psn to get credit to spend in the store. Dollar for dollar exchange rate.
cool, thanks !

# 142 mebby @ 08/18/14 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I'll try to ease your pain a little bit by couching my praise of the game with how much more I think I'd be enjoying it if it was in 1080p

I'd be really interested to see the game on both consoles side by side to really see if there is much of a difference. I know that inherently there is definitely a difference but whether there's enough for the naked eye to really care about? I'm guessing that the difference will be slight at best.

# 143 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/18/14 02:52 PM
Just to clarify, as of now, this game will only work using the controller, so basically doing your swing with the analog stick on your PS4/Xbox controller, right? No Kinect/PS Camera yet?

I haven't done much research, but I loved playing golf games on the Wii versus using an Xbox controller.

# 144 UofMTigerFan @ 08/18/14 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Just to clarify, as of now, this game will only work using the controller, so basically doing your swing with the analog stick on your PS4/Xbox controller, right? No Kinect/PS Camera yet?

I haven't done much research, but I loved playing golf games on the Wii versus using an Xbox controller.

Kinect & Move are not in the plans at this time.

# 145 OnlookerDelay @ 08/18/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
I'd be really interested to see the game on both consoles side by side to really see if there is much of a difference. I know that inherently there is definitely a difference but whether there's enough for the naked eye to really care about? I'm guessing that the difference will be slight at best.
I experimented with this by connecting my gaming PC to my 55" HDTV, to which my consoles are connected in my rec room. With no AA and 4X AF, I ran The Golf Club to this set at 720, 900, and 1080p. I could easily spot the difference between even 720 and 900p, so it was no contest going from 720 to 1080p. I'd say I could see the difference from as far away as maybe 9 to 10 feet, but I sit about 7 feet away when I game and I have no question as to which one looks sharper.

What we still don't know yet (and I can't get HBS to answer this question) is what level of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering the XB1 version of TGC is using. That will have a significant effect on the image quality. In my experiment, I went to where I hope HBS may have put the the AA (4x msaa) and also the AF to 8X (although it's not a stretch to think they might go 16X here). With 4x msaa, it was a lot tougher to spot the difference between the two resolutions, even at seven feet.

The fact that HBS *seems* to be reluctant to answer my repeated questions about this suggests to me that we'll probably see something less than 4x msaa, and possibly no AA at all. I'll know tomorrow though, as I'm going to do some A/B comparisons between the PC and XB1 versions on the same HDTV set to the same res on the first tee at the same course. I'll find the filter and conditioning levels on the PC that best match what I'm seeing on the XB1 and report what they are.

# 146 mebby @ 08/18/14 03:10 PM
Quote:
I experimented with this by connecting my gaming PC to my 55" HDTV, to which my consoles are connected in my rec room. With no AA and 4X AF, I ran The Golf Club to this set at 720, 900, and 1080p. I could easily spot the difference between even 720 and 900p, so it was no contest going from 720 to 1080p. I'd say I could see the difference from as far away as maybe 9 to 10 feet, but I sit about 7 feet away when I game and I have no question as to which one looks sharper.

What we still don't know yet (and I can't get HBS to answer this question) is what level of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering the XB1 version of TGC is using. That will have a significant effect on the image quality. In my experiment, I went to where I hope HBS may have put the the AA (4x msaa) and also the AF to 8X (although it's not a stretch to think they might go 16X here). With 4x msaa, it was a lot tougher to spot the difference between the two resolutions, even at seven feet.

The fact that HBS *seems* to be reluctant to answer my repeated questions about this suggests to me that we'll probably see something less than 4x msaa, and possibly no AA at all. I'll know tomorrow though, as I'm going to do some A/B comparisons between the PC and XB1 versions on the same HDTV set to the same res on the first tee at the same course. I'll find the filter and conditioning levels on the PC that best match what I'm seeing on the XB1 and report what they are.

I don't know what half of that stuff you mentioned even means but I will say that I'm a little surprised (in a good way) that you can tell that much of a difference.

# 147 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/18/14 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMTigerFan
Kinect & Move are not in the plans at this time.
Mucho gracias.

# 148 OnlookerDelay @ 08/18/14 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
I don't know what half of that stuff you mentioned even means but I will say that I'm a little surprised (in a good way) that you can tell that much of a difference.
Yeah, I know... lotta geek speak there, but it really does means something AA (antialiasing) sharpens jagged edges and makes them appear less "stepped". There are different types of antialiasing. The type I mentioned (msaa - multisample antialiasing is a balance between highest quality and highest performance) is what I'm guessing they might be using.

Oh, it wasn't just me who spotted the difference in my experiment. My wife and my 19 year old son both spotted the difference between all three resolutions at 7 feet. I tested them independently and never told them up front, which was which.

# 149 mebby @ 08/18/14 04:03 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I know... lotta geek speak there, but it really does means something AA (antialiasing) sharpens jagged edges and makes them appear less "stepped". There are different types of antialiasing. The type I mentioned (msaa - multisample antialiasing is a balance between highest quality and highest performance) is what I'm guessing they might be using.

Oh, it wasn't just me who spotted the difference in my experiment. My wife and my 19 year old son both spotted the difference between all three resolutions at 7 feet. I tested them independently and never told them up front, which was which.

Cool! As long as it runs smooth and fast and looks reasonably good (by today's standards) I'll be a happy dude!

# 150 Acrobat @ 08/18/14 04:43 PM
Do we know what time this will be available?

# 151 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/18/14 04:47 PM
They update the store at different times, sometimes they update at midnight est, sometimes its later. Hard to say. Basically whenever they get around to updating the store. Could be midnight, could be 7am. Could be somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't expect it later than 7-8AM though.

# 152 jmaj315 @ 08/18/14 08:17 PM
Quote:
It will be a bit discouraging to try to use it. Even without the delay between voice and action, there's still a roughly 10 second delay for each shot in and of itself, whether you're using voice or not. I hit my shot and watch it play out, then after 10 seconds my opponent sees it and watches it play out before he can take his next shot. There's no "fast-forward" option so you have to watch it play out in real time.

If each player in a twosome shoots 70, you've just added over 23 minutes to the round. I don't think it's going to be well received by most. I find myself opting for turn-based ghost play much more often in the PC version.
But you don't need to wait for people to play. On YouTube, I've seen Tom Wilson finish his round and one of his playing partners was like 3 holes behind.

# 153 J ROCK 05 @ 08/18/14 09:40 PM
Quick question. Hopefully this makes sense lol. Wife and I love playing golf games but she doesn't have Xbox live on her own, just under my account. Is it possible to play tournament mode online with my Xbox live account and her shared live account?

# 154 Aggies7 @ 08/18/14 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
You can use paypal if you don't trust Sony with your credit card info (I don't)

That's what I do or go to amazon and buy PSN instant code and just do it that way. After that breach I don't trust my credit card on there

# 155 Flightwhite24 @ 08/19/14 06:05 AM
Fellows woke up at 5:15 and it was in the store to download

Went offline and played 18 at a course called Little Brook Manor. Finished with a 77(+7) the course was a 5800 yards.

My main concern was if this game had enough Bells/Whistles to keep me entertained and what I found out is To heck with all the fluff.

This being $34.99 is an injustice to HBS and that I decided after a few holes.

Leaving with this. Pony up your $35 and buy this today and stop searching for Madden 15. I'm off to play another rd

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.