Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

GameInformer has posted an article listing "29 Reasons Why MyGM May Be the Future of Franchise Modes," going over the new conversation system, GM tools, scouting, player progression, offseason, and much more in NBA 2K15's MyGM mode.

Here are some tidbits from the article:
  • On Virtual Currency: "Visual Concepts is distancing itself from its controversial approach to injecting VC into the MyGM experience last year. In NBA 2K15 the VC is nearly stripped out of the mode in favor of a leveling system where you accrue XP for every action you take."
  • On Total Control: "In response to last year's backlash regarding basic functions being hidden behind the upgrade system, Visual Concepts has surfaced the vital skills that form the backbone of the GM experience. Every GM has full control of trades, free agency, player rotations, coach firings, etc. right from the start. "
  • A new Sim feature: "Strategy-minded players who prefer a hands-off approach should check out SimCast. This new system allows you to manage rotations, strategies, sliders, and points of emphasis before hitting the start button on a sim."
  • New Scouting System: "A new pro scouting system analyzes how your team stacks up against your next opponent. Feedback includes areas of weakness you can exploit in the rival team, an analysis of their biggest threats, the team stats, and suggested points of emphasis."
  • New Draftee Storylines: "Visual Concepts plans to surface several storylines throughout the year based on research it did on the last 20-30 draft classes. The various types of players you could encounter include flash-in-the-pan players who may be at their full potential already on draft day, late bloomers who rise up the draft board at the last minute, players with serious injury concerns that you may not know about unless you him in for a visit."
  • College Stats: "For NBA 2K15 Visual Concepts built an engine to simulate an entire college season, giving you the ability to look at the stats of all draft candidates."
  • Draft Combine is in: "NBA 2K15 adds the draft combine to the mix this year, where you may find out that a school is playing fast and loose with the height and weights they list in their game programs."
  • Better Player Progression: "Visual Concepts has done a significant amount of work on player progression this year. Before, all you could do was train them in the offseason. This year that progression is split between the offseason workouts and in-season training."
  • Better Offseason Logic: "Visual Concepts says the CPU-controlled teams in NBA 2K15 have improved logic this year when managing their roster balance. Teams should better recognize that they don't need to spend on another point guard if their team already has a viable starter and will know to use their resources elsewhere."
Be sure to check out the full article for many more details on MyGM mode.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 Detroitfan4life1993 @ 09/04/14 09:56 PM
This just might be the best basketball game ever created.

# 182 lakers24 @ 09/04/14 10:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, an this is OT but, the menus give off a serious 2k9 vibe(which I freaking loved). The logos turned inward & spotlighted, the dark greyish backgrounds. The transparent glass windows. It's a really stylish-clean UI.

# 183 Cabish @ 09/04/14 10:28 PM
If 2k listens to the fans why are they not fixing the spacing and sliding,why are t they making a college hoops game pleasers hellooooo 2k

# 184 lakers24 @ 09/04/14 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabish
If 2k listens to the fans why are they not fixing the spacing and sliding,why are t they making a college hoops game pleasers hellooooo 2k
I'm guessing you missed the gc impression that said defensive sliding is pretty much gone. I'm also guessing you don't understand companies need to make money and college bball games don't make enough of it to warrant making them.

# 185 Superman38134 @ 09/04/14 10:44 PM
Quote:
The lack of a college game isn't 2k's fault. Up to now, college players couldn't be compensated for their likeness being used in video games, while video game companies and colleges were making millions off said players. So a suit was filed and courts sided with players. That's why no college games are being made at present.

# 186 SoundsLikeScone @ 09/04/14 10:45 PM
Quote:
I bet that 2K would fix sliding if they could. I can't imagine its an easy thing to fix considering it exists to some extent in pretty much every sports game out there

# 187 woshihuxingtan @ 09/04/14 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez
We don't have the rights to use people not in the NBA (except for Legends that we've made deals with).
Are there new legends added in 2K15? Can roster dev team add star players who retired recently, like T-Mac, Yao? Or some classic legends, like Reggie Miller, Chris Webber?

# 188 VDusen04 @ 09/04/14 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
Will either mode see a Summer League?
Quote:
No Summer League in either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
Ouch. Would it be hard to get for either 2K16 or 2K17?
Quote:
If enough people want it, then maybe.
I've been on record of saying this before, but I think re-introducing Summer League and the D-League would both be great additions, particularly with the authentic turn MyLeague has brought about. Under the right circumstances (editable D-League players to re-create real life rosters, authentic Summer League tournaments), things could get legit.

# 189 Ivanhoe @ 09/04/14 11:20 PM
I had no interest in NBA 2K15...until now. My biggest wish now is for an improved CAP system, something similar to MLB the Show.

# 190 amedawg00 @ 09/04/14 11:21 PM
Quote:
A *lot* of people had input into both modes. The primary people involved in coming up with most of the designs and feature sets are Erick (overlord of all), Leftos (features engineer, newbie that's already a rockstar, and "the hairy beast"), Tim (lead franchise engineer and one of the main engineers from the College Basketball games) and myself (old 2K vet from the NFL/APF days, who left for 5 years, and came back last year to be the lead designer/producer on the franchise modes), but many others are involved and deserve credit. Scott Kohn (engineer for MyTEAM), for instance, had the idea to do simulated college stats and Abe Navarro (designer for MyTEAM) did the design for the injury system -- which is based on and has improvements on his injury system designs from APF and NHL.

Oh, and OS also deserves a lot of credit, as we based a lot of our plans on feedback from 2K14.
Sounds like working with an all star cast of devs. What with devs that worked on classic games like nfl 2k, nhl 2k, and ch 2k contributing to what is amounting to OFFLINE nirvana for association heads, what bones are being thrown to the online league guys; knowing that Online Associations have been scrapped, which of these aforementioned mygm/myleague features will make it into online leagues?

I remember Erick shattering online league hoopers world when he brought the vaunted association online in 2k12 that started 2ks push presentation based immersive features into the online portion of the game (yes its linked...take a ride back in memory lane, the day all online league heads rejoice at what initially seemed the mother-lode).

Are we taking two steps back for the proverbial one step forward with 2k15; what with the regression to online leagues, when we had barely functional, glitch laden online associations, in last gen 2k14.

I'll spare 2k14 current gen for the embarrasing effort of a categorically broken online league feature that lacked basic admin and league customizations that veterans of the series had come to take as a given in a 2k offering.

The dev team responsible for the 2k14 current gen online leagues should be court martial-ed for dereliction of duty if they weren't excused for the limited resources and shortened development time in order to launch for xb1 and ps4.

Can the online league heads get some love in 2k15? We are are a passionate community of sim head hoopers, not unlike the many posters of OS, who parrot the same sim ethos and authenticity; only that we prefer to play like-minded sim human opponents in contrast to the predictable and some might argue boring AI. Lastly, we play the game year-round, creating impermeable and cheese resistant sim ecosystems in an online world (shocker I know, but we exist). So it only makes sense to bring these immersive myleague features online, if not for 2k15, then in the next iteration of the greatest sports simulation on the market today, in adding to the already addictive gameplay. Imagine what the addition of these immersive presentation features would add to the replay value online. What is stopping these features from being ported to an OA or Online league mode? Is it 2k's notorious online net code, servers, or both?

If I sound bitter, its only because I am so jealous of you offline association heads. You have no idea how spoiled and in turn jaded you have become! If we got 1/2 of the features you offline guys got, you would hear nary a beep from the OA/Online League community, who have role playing and conversations in the form online leagues; you know, with actual human beings, some rational, some irrational, and some david khan-esque with respect to team building. So, you offline guys can keep your MyGm mode. We are tired of being ignored.

/rant over

# 191 MarvellousOne @ 09/04/14 11:23 PM
Being that there is 80 years in both MyGM and MyLeague, are there enough storylines created for draft classes to where every year if you play that long it's fresh every season?

# 192 InvisibleAndre @ 09/04/14 11:39 PM
Fantastic work on this mode, 2k. You guys secured my preorder, for what it's worth.

I haven't seen any news on potential ratings, so here are some thoughts....

It would be cool if there was more uncertainty with potential ratings of players. Currently, you know exactly which young players on your team are worth keeping and which ones should be cut. You even know that for every team in the association, which always struck me as weird.

I think it would be better if there were a much less specific potential rating that was available to the user (something like High-Low). Maybe this could gradually morph into the specific A-F rating that has traditionally been present, depending on the quality of your scouts.

Of course, there should be a ton of uncertainty with incoming rookies so that even after maxing out scouting (if that's even possible this year) you can still draft a bust in the lottery.

# 193 strawberryshortcake @ 09/04/14 11:43 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I'm guessing you missed the gc impression that said defensive sliding is pretty much gone. I'm also guessing you don't understand companies need to make money and college bball games don't make enough of it to warrant making them.
Unfortunately based on gamescon video, defensive sliding is definitely still present.

When new NBA 2k videos are released, the ONLY thing I look for is defensive footplant. Sliding is definitely still present. Even though many "say" there's practically no more sliding on the defense, just watch any of the 2k15 videos, primarily focusing on the defenders -- defensive sliding still happens. Don't focus on the ball handler; just watch the defenders foot work.

# 194 Phreezy P @ 09/04/14 11:54 PM
When I read this I was just like...

brb preordering

# 195 Glenn33 @ 09/05/14 12:26 AM
Quote:
We don't have one for severity (good idea for 2K16...). But, we do have ones for CPU Injury Frequency, User Injury Frequency, Career-Ending Injury Frequency, User Injury Effects, CPU Injury Effects.

# 196 Eman5805 @ 09/05/14 01:01 AM
You listened, 2K! You really listened!!!!! I am the excite!!!!

Next you'll tell me that contract negotiations have their own sway of logic to players that are all about getting big, big money cuz they're young. Then they switch to being more mellow and ring focused so they'll flock to whatever team is the super power to get one final championship run.

You'll tell me that next, right?

# 197 RedSceptile @ 09/05/14 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
You listened, 2K! You really listened!!!!! I am the excite!!!!

Next you'll tell me that contract negotiations have their own sway of logic to players that are all about getting big, big money cuz they're young. Then they switch to being more mellow and ring focused so they'll flock to whatever team is the super power to get one final championship run.

You'll tell me that next, right?
I'm pretty sure that was mentioned as Sliders in MyAssociation?

# 198 lakers24 @ 09/05/14 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Unfortunately based on gamescon video, defensive sliding is definitely still present.

When new NBA 2k videos are released, the ONLY thing I look for is defensive footplant. Sliding is definitely still present. Even though many "say" there's practically no more sliding on the defense, just watch any of the 2k15 videos, primarily focusing on the defenders -- defensive sliding still happens. Don't focus on the ball handler; just watch the defenders foot work.
I did watch all the videos and I saw improvement. If people say it's pretty much gone, I'm pretty sure they are speaking from a personal perspective meaning watching some grainy vid won't allow you to actually FEEL the difference. It can LOOK good all it wants, but might not play that way so that's why I'm not really banking my whole reasoning on those vids from gc. If that is gone and I can actually stay in front of my man w/o ending up on the other side of him because an animation slid me there I'm good.

# 199 AirJordanFan93 @ 09/05/14 01:49 AM
I think 2K has won me back with the removal of VC from MyGM and the inclusion of MyLeague it really does seem liked they have listened to the community. Probably gonna be getting both Live and 2K this year.

# 200 strawberryshortcake @ 09/05/14 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I did watch all the videos and I saw improvement. If people say it's pretty much gone, I'm pretty sure they are speaking from a personal perspective meaning watching some grainy vid won't allow you to actually FEEL the difference. It can LOOK good all it wants, but might not play that way so that's why I'm not really banking my whole reasoning on those vids from gc. If that is gone and I can actually stay in front of my man w/o ending up on the other side of him because an animation slid me there I'm good.
I certainly understand where you are coming from (...but). In that case, there is definitely two aspect to "sliding."

1) How it looks visually (the feet should realistically plant, along with heel lift, each and every single time to do an action, motion, movement).
2) How it feels when you play.

However, don't be so quick to dismiss internet gameplay videos considering what I play (sports games) on my HDTV and what I see on youtube (sports games) is exactly the same. Grainy or not, it honestly shouldn't matter. What I see in youtube videos for NBA2k14 is the same as I see it on my PS4 connected to an HDTV.

If the digital basketball player's foot slides without realistically planting/stepping/heel lift from point A to point B regardless of the distance traveled, it is in fact sliding into position. How I look at the issue with "sliding" is how it looks visually -- does it realistically represent someone planting and moving their feet on defense, or any type of movement.

If the foot magically slides (clockwise or counterclockwise) 45/or 90 degrees to get into position without actually having to lift his heel (even a small lift), then I consider that sliding.

I believe if 2k get can footplanting to be a realistically visual representation of what truly happens in real life, then it would also give the gamer better control of the video game character. Without real visual solid footplanting technology, sliding can take over anytime.

On thread topic: All good stuff. Getting it day one for the PS4. Don't know if my computer is up to snuff for the PC version. Not sure about going digital, advantage being not having to swap out disc.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.