Home
NHL 15 News Post

Electronic Arts recently emailed select NHL 15 owners a survey that asks for feedback on this year's game and attempts to judge fans' interest in a few potential features for NHL 16.

Forum user NJDEVIL30274 posted a cell phone screen capture of the survey on Electronic Arts' official forums, showing some of the new features that the company is considering:

GM Connected, the 180-player online franchise mode that debuted in NHL 13 and was dropped from the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions of NHL 15, is disappointingly absent from this list. Though given EA's statements on the mode's metrics during a public Q&A that was conducted back in August, its absence is perhaps expected.

It's no surprise, either, to see Ultimate Team receiving so much attention, since EA continues to tout it as the series' most-played mode. Recent earnings reports have placed Hockey Ultimate Team's year-over-year digital revenue gains at 50% and 113% for the first two fiscal quarters of 2015.

The return of the EA Sports Hockey League (which also brings in digital revenue via paid attribute boosts) seems inevitable, and will likely win back some fans who skipped NHL 15. Rebuilding old modes from past titles, however, may not be enough to reverse the franchise's negative momentum in North America, where retail sales have decreased every season since NHL 11.

Surely EA will have some bigger surprises to share with its fanbase by the time E3 arrives next June.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Cletus @ 12/16/14 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab321
Owner mode would be really cool if they have it like madden. Relocations would be fun. But what the hell EA. You've been working on this game for 2 years. Shouldn't you have these things figured out a while ago? You should have these modes built and being tested right now so it's ready to go come next year.
Who even knows how long they worked on the game? First they say 2 years, then they say we only really had one year. Then their bullet point is fans and hiring some guy to work on puck physics. I'm not sure why owner mode hasn't been put in. It was in Madden and MVP '05.

# 62 Therion7 @ 12/16/14 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
World Cup of Hockey with authentic teams is intriguing.
Yep, that's the only thing I'm vaguely interested in... but it absolutely has to have authentic jerseys otherwise there's no point.

Team Creator sounds similar to the FIFA Creation Centre so it could be okay in theory *if* you can upload completely custom logos and centre ice graphics and create a league.

It was possible to add team and tournament emblem from PNGs when creating your football team on the web then downloading to FIFA on console. I made the Japanese J-League and it looked to all intents and purposes very close to being "licensed" in-game. Painstaking work mind you.

I'd certainly be up for making the UK Elite League if the feature was implemented well enough but I don't hold out much hope for it.

Right now I'd be happier with more fluid commentary, good framerate at 1080p, real group goal celebrations, customisable season length and edit player. Custom playlists from the PS4 usb music player although I'd hope Sony would have that supported from the hard drive pretty soon.

tl;dr; Get the stuff that was cut, back in. Improve it.

# 63 NHLandPESFan @ 12/17/14 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbitte
Historic teams & players, vintage gears, authentic old school arenas. 2 games in 1
Like what 2k had on their PS2 games?

# 64 half-fast @ 12/23/14 02:55 PM
I love it. "When we first put GM Connected in NHL 13 it was a highly requested mode from our fans but that hasn't translated into the usage we expected". It was so poorly created, and loading any screen took ages, and the lack of features and stats, my friends and I simply lost interest between the aforementioned points and the crappy gameplay. But its "our" fault because we didnt use a broken mode. They seriously make me sick.

# 65 Pezell04x @ 12/23/14 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
I love it. "When we first put GM Connected in NHL 13 it was a highly requested mode from our fans but that hasn't translated into the usage we expected". It was so poorly created, and loading any screen took ages, and the lack of features and stats, my friends and I simply lost interest between the aforementioned points and the crappy gameplay. But its "our" fault because we didnt use a broken mode. They seriously make me sick.
If it didn't take longer to propose a trade then to actually play the game, people would use the mode.

# 66 jyoung @ 12/23/14 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
And the only schedule option in GM Connected was the full 82 games, plus another 20 or so games to complete the playoffs. Most online sports leagues are naturally going to have a hard time finishing 100 games without falling apart. How do you keep user teams interested in playing when they're 20 points out of a playoff spot and it's still going to take another month or two to finish the first season and start the next draft?

Plus you couldn't use custom gameplay sliders in GM Connected, and were limited to EA's default game styles, which don't cater to the style of hockey that most of the people on hardcore forums like this want to play.

# 67 MaddenFan676 @ 12/29/14 06:37 AM
I really want improvement in social interface that is similar to NHL .com twitter feeds or news feature or general news so as to get the feel of GM. Along with this momemtum skating will be another good feature. The site also has some good features listed http://nhl16game.com/nhl-16-ps4-xbox...-xbox-360.html

I am also happy with the survey. hope it brings good changes.

# 68 Moose24x @ 12/29/14 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee
NO EASHL that has been there since 09 and worked great and has a big community and will always be the best part about the NHL series game.. if they don't include this.. I will never buy NHL again and just about everyone I play NHL with since 09 since it debut will do the same

The EASHL should not only be brought back.. but it should be the most worked on and important game mode to this series. no other game mode should be more important than the EASHL... back in 09 and 10... this was the case

only mode I will touch... sad that this mode use to be the best thing going in sports video gaming and today and it doesn't even exist. EA SPorts gets what it deserves on the poor sales and feedback for NHL 15 next gen because of this.

ps. Next gen is suppose to be better but sadly... everything was better on previous gen when it comes to NHL and many other games as well. The online play should be improved on Next gen.. instead again.. it's worst and not only worst but you gotta pay for it now
Here's my problem with this: I don't give a fart about EASHL. I don't play it and don't care if they work on it or even include it at all. I buy "NHL" video games because I'm a fan of the NHL and want to play with NHL teams and players (and their prospects), manage an NHL team and win the NHL's big, prestigious trophy (you know, the Stanley Cup?). EA makes the only hockey game for consoles because EA has exclusive rights to the NHL license. If that's going to be the case I need them to put all of their focus on the NHL aspects of their product, not some imaginary drop in league where everything from the uniforms to the team names to the players are made up and (and this is "the big thing") DON'T REQUIRE THE NHL LICENSE. If I'm going to buy EA's NHL game (and I am, because - again - exclusive license; they're the only game in town) than I need the focus to be on bringing the NHL to life with incredible depth and realism.

Now, all of that said, I understand full well that EASHL is massively popular and that there's a vast group of customers to whom it is a VERY important feature. However, owing to the fact that it doesn't require an NHL license, nor roster updates, nor really any of the features that are essential to making a good "NHL" game, what I REALLY want EA to do is to make it a downloadable application separate unto itself and either charge a set amount for those who only want the EASHL game (they can discount it for those who purchase the regular NHL offering as well) or charge a subscription fee for playing in the EASHL (kind of like league fees in real life - a season costs this much, what have you, etc.) and support this separate mode with micro-transactions for boosts or different gear, etc.

We all know EA loves its micro-transaction cash cows anyways so I really see this as a win for everyone involved. If you just want to play EASHL, there's your option. If you enjoy both, get both. Those of us who are hardcore about our NHL experience can now get a more dedicated (and thus hopefully deeper and overall improved) NHL game and EA has another avenue of milking their customers through purchase of the EASHL app or league fees or whatever model they might choose to adapt.

# 69 redsoxfan31 @ 12/29/14 05:55 PM
I am really hoping for EA sports to bring back the ability to edit players (which allows for the creation of missing college draft prospects), a more in depth Be A GM mode that allows you to move your team if you're in a bad market (especially with the talks of possible NHL teams in Las Vegas, Quebec, etc.) Really, just bring back the things you took away

# 70 Moose24x @ 12/31/14 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan31
I am really hoping for EA sports to bring back the ability to edit players (which allows for the creation of missing college draft prospects), a more in depth Be A GM mode that allows you to move your team if you're in a bad market (especially with the talks of possible NHL teams in Las Vegas, Quebec, etc.) Really, just bring back the things you took away
This is obviously necessary. They need to open it up so we can change generic faces too. If the player doesn't have a scan their face should be editable. Simple.

# 71 capnlarge @ 12/31/14 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
Here's my problem with this: I don't give a fart about EASHL. I don't play it and don't care if they work on it or even include it at all. I buy "NHL" video games because I'm a fan of the NHL and want to play with NHL teams and players (and their prospects), manage an NHL team and win the NHL's big, prestigious trophy (you know, the Stanley Cup?). EA makes the only hockey game for consoles because EA has exclusive rights to the NHL license. If that's going to be the case I need them to put all of their focus on the NHL aspects of their product, not some imaginary drop in league where everything from the uniforms to the team names to the players are made up and (and this is "the big thing") DON'T REQUIRE THE NHL LICENSE. If I'm going to buy EA's NHL game (and I am, because - again - exclusive license; they're the only game in town) than I need the focus to be on bringing the NHL to life with incredible depth and realism.

Now, all of that said, I understand full well that EASHL is massively popular and that there's a vast group of customers to whom it is a VERY important feature. However, owing to the fact that it doesn't require an NHL license, nor roster updates, nor really any of the features that are essential to making a good "NHL" game, what I REALLY want EA to do is to make it a downloadable application separate unto itself and either charge a set amount for those who only want the EASHL game (they can discount it for those who purchase the regular NHL offering as well) or charge a subscription fee for playing in the EASHL (kind of like league fees in real life - a season costs this much, what have you, etc.) and support this separate mode with micro-transactions for boosts or different gear, etc.

We all know EA loves its micro-transaction cash cows anyways so I really see this as a win for everyone involved. If you just want to play EASHL, there's your option. If you enjoy both, get both. Those of us who are hardcore about our NHL experience can now get a more dedicated (and thus hopefully deeper and overall improved) NHL game and EA has another avenue of milking their customers through purchase of the EASHL app or league fees or whatever model they might choose to adapt.
Does EA have an exclusive license? Last I heard, EA, 2K, Microsoft and Sony could all make NHL games. 2K released NHL 2k on mobile

# 72 actionhank @ 12/31/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnlarge
Does EA have an exclusive license? Last I heard, EA, 2K, Microsoft and Sony could all make NHL games. 2K released NHL 2k on mobile
EA doesn't hold an exclusive NHL license (they may with some of their stadium licenses, but that's speculation at best). But, other companies are probably a bit hesitant to try and compete with a juggernaut series. If anything, maybe NHL15 showed 2K or even SCEA (The idea of an NHL game with the awesomeness of The Show makes me happy. But, there would have to be some way to have a cross-platform release) that now they have a chance to jump in and take on Goliath so to speak.

It honestly wouldn't take a lot of changes to make a strong competitive title to go up against EA, but the problem is game companies work based on how much the game can make, and splitting a demographic that's already small can be a gamble. It seems with how much it costs to make a good game, and license everything in sports game, you kind of have to dominate the market, or write the idea off.

SCEA just now got licensing for their apparel and gloves etc, which makes me think they might have been waiting for a while to negotiate what i can only imagine was a pricey deal to get those things in game.

Honestly, if some other company could get NHL licensing, and allow a more customization-friendly game that let the user decide on simulation or arcade play, and offered more in depth editing of players and equipment, I would gladly sacrifice "name brand" gear like Bauer and Nike skates. Sure, they're nice, but i would just as well have some generic skates that i can pick from 10 color options on while editing my player who has a custom face and more than 10 physical attribute features that i can edit over name-brand gear for a few years.
I just want great gameplay, nice graphics, and customization that's easy to implement and share. The rest can fall into place in due time.

# 73 capnlarge @ 12/31/14 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
EA doesn't hold an exclusive NHL license (they may with some of their stadium licenses, but that's speculation at best). But, other companies are probably a bit hesitant to try and compete with a juggernaut series. If anything, maybe NHL15 showed 2K or even SCEA (The idea of an NHL game with the awesomeness of The Show makes me happy. But, there would have to be some way to have a cross-platform release) that now they have a chance to jump in and take on Goliath so to speak.

It honestly wouldn't take a lot of changes to make a strong competitive title to go up against EA, but the problem is game companies work based on how much the game can make, and splitting a demographic that's already small can be a gamble. It seems with how much it costs to make a good game, and license everything in sports game, you kind of have to dominate the market, or write the idea off.

SCEA just now got licensing for their apparel and gloves etc, which makes me think they might have been waiting for a while to negotiate what i can only imagine was a pricey deal to get those things in game.

Honestly, if some other company could get NHL licensing, and allow a more customization-friendly game that let the user decide on simulation or arcade play, and offered more in depth editing of players and equipment, I would gladly sacrifice "name brand" gear like Bauer and Nike skates. Sure, they're nice, but i would just as well have some generic skates that i can pick from 10 color options on while editing my player who has a custom face and more than 10 physical attribute features that i can edit over name-brand gear for a few years.
I just want great gameplay, nice graphics, and customization that's easy to implement and share. The rest can fall into place in due time.
I would definitely be first in line to buy a new NHL 2k or NHL Faceoff The Show

# 74 Moose24x @ 12/31/14 01:14 PM
Even if EA's license isn't exclusive, my overall point about EASHL stands. The game is called NHL 15. EASHL is a fantasy league that requires zero NHL licensing. They can make that a separate entity, charge some sort of price or subscription for it and put the focus in their NHL title on NHL details. In no way does the EASHL have to go away, but when people constantly refer to it as the most important game mode and the area they want EA to devote most of their attention it drives me nuts. Devote the attention to making a better NHL experience. It's an NHL game! The EASHL is a fantasy league. Let it be its own glorious separate entity.

# 75 actionhank @ 01/02/15 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
Even if EA's license isn't exclusive, my overall point about EASHL stands. The game is called NHL 15. EASHL is a fantasy league that requires zero NHL licensing. They can make that a separate entity, charge some sort of price or subscription for it and put the focus in their NHL title on NHL details. In no way does the EASHL have to go away, but when people constantly refer to it as the most important game mode and the area they want EA to devote most of their attention it drives me nuts. Devote the attention to making a better NHL experience. It's an NHL game! The EASHL is a fantasy league. Let it be its own glorious separate entity.
I'd actually never really thought of it that way. They wouldn't even need to have authentic arenas, or equipment. I'd imagine not dealing with licensing issues would enable them to sell it as a pretty reduced cost. Though it may just be something that's easier for them to work on "in addition" to the work they do with the rest of the game.

I still think HUT will be biggest problem for everyone wanting a realistic/enjoyable experience with any other facet of the game. It's hard to argue with numbers, and HUT brings in the $70 purchase price, plus all of the money after, facebook activity, twitter shares, all of that marketing. Things like Be a GM and other modes just don't really bring the same level of income. Which is why i would love for someone else to step in and challenge EA in the hockey market. The door couldn't get much more open. Plenty of people are ready to get something better, so now it's up to EA to right the ship, or continue to have those non-HUT people stay away, or better still, for someone to sweep in with a new perspective and steal away those sales.

That said, i wonder how much copyright issue there would be. The skill-stick is pretty unique, and i would hate to imagine that you couldn't use something similar. I remember MLB2K was a worse baseball game in just about every way, except for the pitching interface, which was amazing in regards to what The Show offered. To throw certain pitches, you used unique movement of the right stick. A fastball might just be hold down then up, a change up would be up then down, a curve would require a rotation of 270 degrees, and then flicking the stick to the side. All of it was compounded with the fact that you were trying to time it, so if you rushed it, or had a tired pitcher, it all became more difficult. It was an awesome and organic way to make pitching more difficult without resorting to forcing the player to make sacrifices. You could go for the complete game with your starter, but as he got tired, the timing of the pitch meter required more effort to get it right.

Anyhow, i think that was copyrighted (similar to the "swiping" of touch screens on phones, which was absurd in the age of everything having a damn touchscreen.) and if the idea of shooting and (hopefully, if EA smarts up) playing defense and using the sticks to have dynamic movements that have higher or lower error rates based on your input along with player ratings not be something being something another company couldn't do and had to find a way to make hockey fun with just the face buttons. I don't know that i could switch back.

# 76 Moose24x @ 01/02/15 02:45 PM
I'll never switch back to face buttons. I just can't.

# 77 capnbuh @ 01/03/15 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I'd actually never really thought of it that way. They wouldn't even need to have authentic arenas, or equipment. I'd imagine not dealing with licensing issues would enable them to sell it as a pretty reduced cost. Though it may just be something that's easier for them to work on "in addition" to the work they do with the rest of the game.

I still think HUT will be biggest problem for everyone wanting a realistic/enjoyable experience with any other facet of the game. It's hard to argue with numbers, and HUT brings in the $70 purchase price, plus all of the money after, facebook activity, twitter shares, all of that marketing. Things like Be a GM and other modes just don't really bring the same level of income. Which is why i would love for someone else to step in and challenge EA in the hockey market. The door couldn't get much more open. Plenty of people are ready to get something better, so now it's up to EA to right the ship, or continue to have those non-HUT people stay away, or better still, for someone to sweep in with a new perspective and steal away those sales.

That said, i wonder how much copyright issue there would be. The skill-stick is pretty unique, and i would hate to imagine that you couldn't use something similar. I remember MLB2K was a worse baseball game in just about every way, except for the pitching interface, which was amazing in regards to what The Show offered. To throw certain pitches, you used unique movement of the right stick. A fastball might just be hold down then up, a change up would be up then down, a curve would require a rotation of 270 degrees, and then flicking the stick to the side. All of it was compounded with the fact that you were trying to time it, so if you rushed it, or had a tired pitcher, it all became more difficult. It was an awesome and organic way to make pitching more difficult without resorting to forcing the player to make sacrifices. You could go for the complete game with your starter, but as he got tired, the timing of the pitch meter required more effort to get it right.

Anyhow, i think that was copyrighted (similar to the "swiping" of touch screens on phones, which was absurd in the age of everything having a damn touchscreen.) and if the idea of shooting and (hopefully, if EA smarts up) playing defense and using the sticks to have dynamic movements that have higher or lower error rates based on your input along with player ratings not be something being something another company couldn't do and had to find a way to make hockey fun with just the face buttons. I don't know that i could switch back.
This assumes that EA's control scheme is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I just have clumsy fingers but I can't always shoot when I want to on skill stick. Also, skill stick leads to lots of accidental interference. I'm not a game designer but I'm sure another company could come up with a control scheme as good as, or better than EA's.

Personally, I liked NHL 2K8's control scheme but I know most fans and critics hated it, so I don't think that is the solution.

# 78 DanglingPenguins @ 01/05/15 12:01 AM
If we could stay away from the zamboni racing crap... That'd be great.

# 79 actionhank @ 01/05/15 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbuh
This assumes that EA's control scheme is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I just have clumsy fingers but I can't always shoot when I want to on skill stick. Also, skill stick leads to lots of accidental interference. I'm not a game designer but I'm sure another company could come up with a control scheme as good as, or better than EA's.

Personally, I liked NHL 2K8's control scheme but I know most fans and critics hated it, so I don't think that is the solution.
I think the "skill stick" is probably one of the best ways to represent control in hockey. That's definitely not to say it couldn't be improved.

Shooting can be difficult at times, but i'm not sure how much of that is the control setup, or just EA not doing much to change their system. I like the idea of just quickly tapping up to take a snap shot, or rolling right/left and up to take a wrister, and the obvious movements for the slap shot are fun.

But, it could definitely be better. Maybe holding R2/Right Trigger and then pushing the right stick to pass, and the direction and speed you move the stick with affects how accurate and quickly the make the pass. Tapping R3 and then flicking the stick could be used for elevating the puck maybe. It would be cool to have a more context based system, especially for clearing. Clearing on the PK is awful. You can take a slapper, but who knows what direction the computer will decide to fire in. Using R1 to clear seems to result in launching it into the crowd more often than not, and it's tough to just chip the puck along the boards.

Speaking of defense, imagine using the right stick to control poke checks, and stick lifts, instead of relying on frantic button pushing, with your timing, accuracy (The direction of your poke/life) and the speed you hit the stick with contributing to the chances of success or a penalty.
It would be nice to get in front of the net on D, and use the left stick (With L2 facing the puck carrier, EA, please bring that back. I'm so sick of trying to face a guy, and being completely hosed when the puck hits the goalie and i can't turn to do anything) and then with your right stick you can try to time it so you lift the stick, or even slash it down to break up a pass/shot (with the added chance of snapping the stick and getting whistled for slashing.)

I would love for EA to especially give defense a makeover.

# 80 sabres32 @ 02/03/15 11:14 PM
Be a GM or owner mode is the important part of the ea sports nhl series. I love being able to control a team and attempt to make them successful. I just wish it was more in depth and more challenging. Basically an ultra realistic be a GM mode would make me one happy dude. I can't believe how much be a GM is lacking in NHL 15. At least in the previous games it was some what interesting. Please EA, make the best be a GM or owner mode that a video game has ever had to offer.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.