Home
News Post

Well, it appears that Joe Montana Football is a game -- of some sorts.

Joe Montana tweeted the above screenshot
out to the internet, which appears to be an in-game screenshot of a football game long rumored to be in the works. It also appears to dispel the 'NFL game in the works' rumors that were floating around the last week. The screenshot shows Joe Montana (or someone with his name and number as his skin color looks much darker than Montana's) rolling out with players blocking and stumbling around.

The teams are both generic, and the stadium itself looks generic as well, although that much isn't fully clear. The screenshot features the Unreal Engine logo, and appears to be quite detailed -- but there's no signs of whether this game is for consoles, mobile platforms, or PC. Although just one screenshot, it definitely isn't a huge leap over what is already on the market sports games wise just at first glance, so it's really impossible to tell if this is even a console title, although it'd be a very impressive looking mobile/tablet title if that is the case.

The player models themselves look like a cross between Backbreaker and the old 2K titles, with the tall and slender bodies vs. more realistic proportions. But hey, it's way too early to be breaking these things down.

As mentioned by jyoung...

Quote:
No sports games have come out yet on UE 4. Action Arcade Wrestling 3 is using it, but that game's still in development.

UE 3 was used in several sports games:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (terrible)
  • WWE All Stars (pretty good)
  • Black College Football: The Xperience (subpar)
  • Kinect Big League Sports (never played it)
  • Real Boxing (never played it)
  • Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring (never played it)
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (never played it)
What do you see in the screenshot? Any clues as to what Joe Montana football is going to be at this point?

Member Comments
# 181 mva5580 @ 03/17/15 01:08 PM
I'll happily buy if it comes out on PC, but I'm not buying a console for one game.

# 182 kjcheezhead @ 03/17/15 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Exclusivity has the potential benefits of reduced production costs (no porting, etc) and perhaps some benefits from the platform holder. All indications remain that this is a pretty small team, so those could be pretty enticing benefits.

The Windows 10/Xbox One push is making it easier to not only make games for both, but for them to play together also. For small productions that's got to be attractive. Tools like Unreal though are relatively platform agnostic and could help defray the development cost of multi-platform development. That's about as far as I speculate though, someone like CM Hooe could probably better elaborate.

There are costs involved though, both licensing and development not just benefits of being available to more people. The Xbox One / PS4 sales gap in the primary market isn't all that massive either.

As for purchasing decisions, depth of features and an attractive/unobtrusive gimmick will what decide for me. Platform or it not being Madden isn't enough, those elements will determine if it's a day one console purchase or a sub $10 pickup during the Steam spring sale.
I can understand some benefits, but the bold is big. If the console sales were even, the Montana team doubles its market by adding playstation gamers. Hard for me to imagine they would pass on that.

And like you said, unreal 4 should make it easier to cross platforms.

# 183 areobee401 @ 03/17/15 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEgend
It's like Montana seen that the other thread closed (With the anonymous post) then tweeted out a screenshot to keep the fires burning here.
Joe tweeting just minutes after the other thread was locked is no coincidence. They're watching.

# 184 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I can understand some benefits, but the bold is big. If the console sales were even, the Montana team doubles its market by adding playstation gamers. Hard for me to imagine they would pass on that.

And like you said, unreal 4 should make it easier to cross platforms.
i just cant see leaving one platform off this game, either xbox1 or ps4. There are huge markets and potential customers on both side . You limit it to one, and your immediately cutting your sales in half.

# 185 aholbert32 @ 03/17/15 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
i just cant see leaving one platform off this game, either xbox1 or ps4. There are huge markets and potential customers on both side . You limit it to one, and your immediately cutting your sales in half.

If Ms or Sony is a publisher that doesn't matter.

# 186 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
If Ms or Sony is a publisher that doesn't matter.
yes, but Joe himself has been quoted as saying he wants a game to compete with madden. Last i checked madden is on 4 consoles ps3, xbox 360 , xbox 1 and ps4. They wont compete with them just on one system. Mark it down...

# 187 mestevo @ 03/17/15 01:49 PM
Quote:
yes, but Joe himself has been quoted as saying he wants a game to compete with madden. Last i checked madden is on 4 consoles ps3, xbox 360 , xbox 1 and ps4. They wont compete with them just on one system. Mark it down...
Yeah? I hear The Show turned out to be a pretty decent competitor to it's deceased multi-platform rival(s).

# 188 Methlab @ 03/17/15 01:50 PM
Quote:
Competing with Madden is probably a long term goal. I doubt they expect to compete right off the bat.

# 189 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 01:57 PM
well im not going out and buying a new console for 1 game, just not going to do it, i have other priorities , guess thats part of having a family . i dont any any pcs, only macs, and im not buying and xbox to play 1 football game. so i hope you very wrong about it being just on xbox 1 and pc. That entire rumor come from that one guys post, who also said it was an NFL game. Not saying its not for sure, but sure dont look like it atm. So not sure why people still wanna buy into that rumor when the other seems false, as does the likely hood of 2K being involved.That post starting to look like swiss cheese, full of holes.

# 190 MajorSupreme @ 03/17/15 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Yeah? I hear The Show turned out to be a pretty decent competitor to it's deceased multi-platform rival(s).
Yup, The Show from SCEA. Who is making this game?

# 191 booker21 @ 03/17/15 02:01 PM
What we know most about this game came from the OS post. Which said several things that we already know are not true, so why do we keep thinking this will be only a MS game?

On the other hand the black sign on the screenshots looks very very xbox logo on it, the old one.

Hopefully this will be multplatorm and heavely customize to be able to mod reproduce the NFL game, otherwise i donīt see this game doing any good.

# 192 SageInfinite @ 03/17/15 02:01 PM
Quote:
well im not going out and buying a new console for 1 game, just not going to do it, i have other priorities , guess thats part of having a family . i dont any any pcs, only macs, and im not buying and xbox to play 1 football game. so i hope you very wrong about it being just on xbox 1 and pc. That entire rumor come from that one guys post, who also said it was an NFL game. Not saying its not for sure, but sure dont look like it atm. So not sure why people still wanna buy into that rumor when the other seems false, as does the likely hood of 2K being involved.That post starting to look like swiss cheese, full of holes.
This game would have to be simply MIND BLOWING to get me to buy an XBone. If this WAS an NFL game, and it was awesome, I'd probably bite and buy the Xbox because that's how desperate I am for some NFL football gaming.

With it being generic, no way, I have to see how it all plays out.

# 193 mestevo @ 03/17/15 02:03 PM
Quote:
Your hope that it's multiplatform had you making a completely different argument, when the above is completely reasonable. Totally understand the desire to see it on multiple platforms.

# 194 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 02:09 PM
Guess my point is, they gonna piss off alot of people if its not on both, cause both console owners deserve something much better than maddens constant BS for a football game. Its gotten so old. Madden 15 could have been decent, but if your into online franchise, they totally screwed it up, trying to make it better. Which leads me to think, they dont really know how to make the game better. I mean so many things wrong in cfm. Its honestly like they dont even bother to test the bs they put in the game.Some of the things are so easily seen on a first run thru by just gamers, hard to believe the game was tested and none of the simply easy things to notice wasnt picked up on and fixed. Joe tweeted the hashtag #youwaitedlongenough..... you dang right we have , gamers on both consoles , not just one.

# 195 bcruise @ 03/17/15 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
What we know most about this game came from the OS post. Which said several things that we already know are not true, so why do we keep thinking this will be only a MS game?

On the other hand the black sign on the screenshots looks very very xbox logo on it, the old one.
Well, my train of thought (if that really is an XBOX logo) is that why would you have an XBOX banner for a stadium in a multiplatform game? It certainly wouldn't have one in a Playstation version, right? PC...well maybe, since it's all Microsoft. But then it goes back to trusting what I read in that one post (which I don't).

That whole line of thinking is dependent on that being an actual logo, though - if it's not then the entire train of thought crashes and burns.

# 196 tanner75 @ 03/17/15 02:13 PM
I'm still holding off on buying an xbox one until we have confirmation of platforms. I guess we won't know until E3, so I will wait till then if needs be. Should be an interesting 3 months ahead.

# 197 roadman @ 03/17/15 02:13 PM
Quote:
Guess my point is, they gonna piss off alot of people if its not on both, cause both console owners deserve something much better than maddens constant BS for a football game. Its gotten so old. Madden 15 could have been decent, but if your into online franchise, they totally screwed it up, trying to make it better. Which leads me to think, they dont really know how to make the game better. I mean so many things wrong in cfm. Its honestly like they dont even bother to test the bs they put in the game.Some of the things are so easily seen on a first run thru by just gamers, hard to believe the game was tested and none of the simply easy things to notice wasnt picked up on and fixed. Joe tweeted the hashtag #youwaitedlongenough..... you dang right we have , gamers on both consoles , not just one.
My first take on you waited long enough was the 20 yrs it's been since a Joe Montana football game, but I see how it could be the other way, too.

Edit--Sage>>>>Please go back to either 2 previous avatars. They are much easier on the eyes, lol.

# 198 jeremym480 @ 03/17/15 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
This game would have to be simply MIND BLOWING to get me to buy an XBone. If this WAS an NFL game, and it was awesome, I'd probably bite and buy the Xbox because that's how desperate I am for some NFL football gaming.

With it being generic, no way, I have to see how it all plays out.
This is pretty much where I am. I've decided to be a one console owner this gen unless something really forced me to buy the other system. An exclusive NFL game would be that thing. A generic football game just isn't... not for me anyway.

Of course, if we could customize and download other users work, then maybe that would get me to make the jump as well. However, in the current gaming landscape I just don't see anyway that EA would allow NFL content to be shared between users. Maybe 7-8 years ago, but after EA has had to block the use of certain names on EA MMA, been sued by a tattoo artist on NFL Fever and had their NCAA game canceled partly due to sharing content, then I just don't see that happening.

At this point, the best thing I see coming from this is A) JM16 as a good showing and is able wrestle the exclusive license away from EA and/or B) this gives EA the kick in the pants to really push the envelope like never before... they could start by adding in features from 10 years ago and go from there.

# 199 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
My first take on you waited long enough was the 20 yrs it's been since a Joe Montana football game, but I see how it could be the other way, too.
maybe your correct there. However between joe wanting to make a game to compete with madden , and the #notjustarosterupdate he tweeted , which to me is a pretty clear jab at madden, makes me feel like the other # he did is to. maybe not but sure seems like it when hes already on record wanting to compete with madden ( has to be a reason he wants to ) . If i was making a game, i would not want to limit my sales by only going on 1 platform when i could easily double my sales by going on both. Sure deving it for both may cost more, but your gonna sale alot more too. So i dont see how its that big a risk, especially knowing how many are dying for a new football game thats not , the super sub par madden .

# 200 jeremym480 @ 03/17/15 02:24 PM
Quote:
maybe your correct there. However between joe wanting to make a game to compete with madden , and the #notjustarosterupdate he tweeted , which to me is a pretty clear jab at madden, makes me feel like the other # he did is to. maybe not but sure seems like it when hes already on record wanting to compete with madden ( has to be a reason he wants to ) . If i was making a game, i would not want to limit my sales by only going on 1 platform when i could easily double my sales by going on both. Sure deving it for both may cost more, but your gonna sale alot more too. So i dont see how its that big a risk, especially knowing how many are dying for a new football game thats not , the super sub par madden .
If Microsoft is the publisher, then they're not worried about just selling the game... They want this to be a system seller.

Although, if they think that a generic football game is really going to move the console sales needle, then they're sadly mistaken.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.