Home
NHL 16 News Post

The official release of the NHL 16 Feature list is here, and while its the exact same as the list leaked yesterday, it's nice to get confirmation on what is coming in this year's game.

Here is the full list of game modes in NHL 16:

Check out the full list of NHL 16 features below:

Quote:
"Built with more input from our fans than ever before, NHL 16 steps onto the ice to deliver ways to compete as a team, new features across the most played single-player modes, gameplay innovation at every position on the ice and an unrivalled game day atmosphere.

New Ways to Compete as a Team

Hockey is a sport that comes to life in a competitive team-based gameplay experience. Whether it’s through speed, skill, or physicality, every player makes an impact on the ice no matter what position they play or their role on the team. So grab some friends and jump into either 6 v. 6 Online Team Play, Online Couch Co-op, or the re-imagined EA SPORTS Hockey League and prove that great individuals can’t beat a great team.

The New EASHL

Sharpen those skates and grab your buddies because the EA SPORTS Hockey League is back! This fan-favorite online team mode has been reimagined and lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Player skill and your ability to play as a team will now be the determining factor in who wins and loses hockey games.

6 v. 6 Online Team Play

New copy: Play online with up to twelve skaters including user controlled goalies. Using real-world NHL rosters you can compete in ranked drop-in games against players from around the world or invite your friends to a private OTP session before you step into EA SPORTS Hockey League.

Online Couch Co-op

The perfect way to play when you and your friends want to jump on the couch, join forces and play some drop-in hockey online. It’s the best place to practice your team play skills before playing OTP or EASHL.

A Way to Play for Every Hockey Fan

Whether you’re an armchair GM, want to live out your NHL pro fantasy, or build your ultimate dream team, NHL 16 will deliver a single-player game mode for every type of hockey fan - each with new features that you’ve never seen in EA SPORTS NHL.

Be a GM: Player Morale

Being a GM is about more than just getting the best players, it’s about getting the right players to play well together. Each player on your NHL and AHL team has a different personality that you will have to manage. Deal with trade demands, teammate relationships, and much more by calling team meetings or adjusting your roster to directly affect your team’s on-ice performance.

Be a Pro: Shape Your Legacy

The way you play dictates the type of player you will become in an all-new Be a Pro progression system. On-ice actions directly influence attributes earned, ensuring that your Pro will reflect the way you play. Sim to your next shift and the ability to work your way up from CHL rookie to an NHL Superstar also make a return in NHL 16.

Hockey Ultimate Team: Single Player Seasons

The most played mode in the NHL series gets even better. Improved player management and the introduction of HUT Single Player Seasons gives you another way to hone your skills before jumping online with HUT Online Seasons or challenging your friends with the Play a Friend feature.

Visual On-Ice Training

Whether you’re new to the NHL series and looking for pointers or are a grizzled veteran trying to perfect your game, this new training tool will help sharpen your offensive and defensive skills no matter your talent level. Visual aids project shooting targets, passing lanes, open teammates, and more.

Complete Control From Every Position

Whether you play as a forward, defenseman or goalie, NHL 16 delivers a balanced gameplay experience that makes every position on the ice meaningful to team success. With gameplay innovation on offense and defense, players have new tools to not only score goals, but to prevent them as well.

Precision Skating

Utilize a new skating tool that allows you to make refined movements with your skater in any situation. On defense quickly jump into passing lanes and intercept the puck, or walk the blueline on the power play and open yourself up for that one-timer in the offensive zone.

Seamless Puck Pickups

The ability to quickly control a pass or corral a loose puck can be the difference between generating a scoring chance and getting leveled. New puck pickups result in smoother transitions when receiving the puck no matter what your position, giving you more time and control to make your next move.

Unrivaled Game Day Authenticity

NHL 16 brings the game to life with distinct arena atmospheres, the most realistic players yet, and a story-driven commentary package to pull you into the energy of the game like never before.

Distinct Team Arena Atmosphere

Best in class arena authenticity gets even better with the inclusion of authentic arena effects and props including team specific celebrations, mascots, chants, and even signature props like the Lighthouse at the Xcel Energy Center in Minnesota.

Story Driven Commentary

Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, and Ray Ferraro are back and now call the game with even more emotion. Hear Doc’s voice rise and fall with the action on the ice and get analysis from Eddie & Ray on the peaks and valleys of a NHL season. An expanded NBC SPORTS broadcast package and new pre-game intros brings the drama to life in more ways than ever before.

Superstar Authenticity

Enhanced facial features and new equipment details synonymous with the league’s top players adds another layer of player authenticity. Use these new equipment elements to customize your own created character giving them a unique look, from custom stick tape, colored skate laces, tinted visors, and more.

Playoff Beards

One of the oldest and most iconic traditions in hockey has arrived. With accurate representations of beard patterns, length, thickness, and growth rates for individual players, the road to the Stanley Cup just got hairier."

UPDATE: One thing people keep asking about is if "edit a pro" is in the game. Right now, none of the GameChangers or EA is saying it will be in NHL 16.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 croatian @ 05/19/15 02:53 PM
Are national teams back in the game ? When I watched season mode video, I saw only leagues listed, not NT-s !?

# 42 spidertour02 @ 05/19/15 02:57 PM
I see a ton of encouraging things here. Yeah, a lot of it is returning features, but that's pretty much what I wanted at this stage.

# 43 brandon27 @ 05/19/15 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b
They better let us edit players.
This.

If it's not there, despite all of the fan feedback demanding it, it's completely inexcusable.

Its a nice list of features (to bring back), and sounds like a couple nice additions. If they don't bring back edit player though (even if it's only outside of GM mode similar to Madden right now) then I may consider passing on this. EA's roster support for the NHL series is pretty terrible, which is very disappointing considering how bad the rosters typically are to start with.

# 44 canucksss @ 05/19/15 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Really hoping that player and team separation has been addressed. Just gotta have this basic thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg19
In the "Ask EA NHL" area, I asked if there was going to be any player differentiation this year.

I feel extremely confident that question will be ignored, while the question of if Mascots were in the game was quickly, and affirmatively answered.
I was hoping EA will have something about player and team differentiation and not just different atmosphere!

I am more skeptic with this announcement of EA.

I ask for more video, just like the guy who posted about Crosby and the other player, where there's not much of a difference, skating, handling puck etc.

I will not be duped again EA.

# 45 Armor and Sword @ 05/19/15 03:32 PM
Now that the modes from PS3 are back......day one purchase. I am still playing NHL 13.

Time to get an NHL game for my PS4.

# 46 AdamJones113 @ 05/19/15 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
I was hoping EA will have something about player and team differentiation and not just different atmosphere!

I am more skeptic with this announcement of EA.

I ask for more video, just like the guy who posted about Crosby and the other player, where there's not much of a difference, skating, handling puck etc.

I will not be duped again EA.
Agreed.

At this point, I would literally assess every single goalie attribute in the game if I knew EA was looking at my ratings. I just want to know that there is a difference between players (in my case, goalies), and a difference between teams in the next step. Hell, I would analyze every single goalie animation if I knew there was a purpose to it.

But it ain't so.

# 47 canucksss @ 05/19/15 03:54 PM
Playoff beard, its not that I dont like it but I just hope its "organic". What I mean is that in the last few games of the season, the beard should should be there already instead of just "appearing" in the playoffs, that from 1 inch growing up to 3 inches in a matter of few days, thats kinda unrealistic....but hey its EA. They could make that "miracle", growing the beard instantaneously

# 48 himynameisao @ 05/19/15 04:19 PM
Not sure why player editing is such a huge deal with everyone IF ea can keep up with updates. It's absolutely annoying and time consuming to sit and update players. This should be done automatically. The big thing would be Be A GM: Online. I want to play friends in multiple seasons, fantasy draft. It works in ALL other games. Game Modes are way more important, to me at least, then sitting and editing players for hours. Just tell us you'll update weekly, and I'm good

# 49 redsox4evur @ 05/19/15 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisao
Not sure why player editing is such a huge deal with everyone IF ea can keep up with updates. It's absolutely annoying and time consuming to sit and update players. This should be done automatically. The big thing would be Be A GM: Online. I want to play friends in multiple seasons, fantasy draft. It works in ALL other games. Game Modes are way more important, to me at least, then sitting and editing players for hours. Just tell us you'll update weekly, and I'm good
Because with EA's ratings I can put up Gretzky types numbers using John Scott. But I go and use the Revamped Roster project, I can't put up Gretzky's best season during his whole career.

# 50 Syce @ 05/19/15 05:19 PM
i find that funny they say that HUT is the most played Mode, WELL NO SH*T its pretty much the Only mode. lol

# 51 headzapp @ 05/19/15 05:55 PM
So we get to hear errr err err let's go Blues x2 then a errrr errrrrr errrrrr Letttt's goooo BLuuuuues? I hope we get some board play like in real life. A lot of the game is fighting for the puck along the boards. It seems they put a lot of effort into this game. So maybe everyone complaining about eashl was really a good thing haha. Happy that it seems Doc will say He SCARRRRRRS! Loudly instead of the quiet ones he did in 15.

# 52 Arrowhead21 @ 05/19/15 06:05 PM
Quote:
Not sure why player editing is such a huge deal with everyone.
pretty simple: EAs ratings suck.

Quote:
It's absolutely annoying to sit and edit players
its even more annoying when game developers cant do their job

i will gladly spend the few minutes it takes to adjust ratings for each team; I did all the time on xbox360 when we actually had the ability.

# 53 bad_philanthropy @ 05/19/15 07:54 PM
Re: editing players. It's also nice to be able to edit goalie equipment—especially in GM mode where the sending up and down from the minors, and trading of goalies often sees them wearing old team equipment and mask on their new team or horrible looking equipment with odd color schemes that detracts from immersion. It's nice to just be able to fix small details like this quickly.

More than that, for a lot of guys who have been playing this series for a long time, editing is a feature we've used to adjust ratings or tailor the smaller details of the game to our liking. Since the PS1 era we're used to having the power to customize our single player experience to certain personal standards. No reason why it should be gone.

# 54 Beelzebot44 @ 05/19/15 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltliquor23
I see BE a GM. I guess they went ahead and left regular ol Season Mode right out. I was hoping it would come over cause I'm not one for scouting or going on multiple seasons. Guess not this year.
Can't you just not do the scouting and stop after the first year?

# 55 13whitebread @ 05/19/15 09:08 PM
All be it gimmicky is there a winter classic or all star game in a season mode? The winter classic as well as the all star game is a part of the NHL for at least more than half a decade. And yes I would rather have gameplay better over a winter classic.

# 56 peter21 @ 05/19/15 09:18 PM
Some intriguing things in this announcement, but EA has to do more to win back my loyalty. I'll wait and see how the game plays before I get back on this horse.

The one thing that continues to annoy me with their PR and marketing is the hying of HUT and disparaging of GM online. Glad that HUT is popular and makes them money, but the spin involved in GM online makes me angry.

They'll say they ditched the mode because no one played it, but the reason no one played it, was it was slow, buggy and not a fun player experience. That is ENTIRELY EA's fault! They never put the resources in to improve it, giving them an easy excuse to discontinue it.

I'm more of a EASHL/OTP player at this point, but that always irked me.

# 57 s_mkheidze @ 05/19/15 09:36 PM
Quote:
.......people like this are why we can't have nice things.

# 58 rjviking11 @ 05/20/15 12:48 AM
Absolute joke if edit player isn't in. Why have they still not included roster share??? every other sports game out there has it. Are they afraid to realize how many people can do their job 1000x better?

# 59 Money99 @ 05/20/15 07:54 AM
Speaking of ratings, I hope that EA will eventually one day add multiple positions for certain players.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg can both play LW and C equally.
Tyler Ennis started as a LW but is now a C. He can switch between the two. Jeff Carter? RW and C.

The list goes on and on.

It'd be nice to see some guys have different attributes depending on where they lined-up.
It would also give GM's more options knowing they have guys that can play multiple positions.

IMO, this is long overdue.

# 60 Pezell04x @ 05/20/15 11:36 AM
Roster editing and a roster share would breathe fresh air into this game like none other. Let's be honest, EA does not have a good track record with NHL's roster updates. While Madden and NBA 2K get weekly updates - the NHL series seems like they go 4-6 weeks at a time and then the ratings barely change.

Being able to have the Revamped team comb through ratings and attributes and equipment then be able to share it without the need of third party programs would be fantastic. The Revamped 14 project, literally, changed how NHL 14 played. Anyone who believes that the edit player function isn't useful never used that roster.

I can only hope that the NHL team took the feedback and backlash that was NHL 15 and made some drastic changes including adding the edit player function.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.