Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee, acclaimed filmmaker and die-hard New York Knicks fan, is writing and directing the single-player MyCAREER mode for NBA 2K16.

Lee, who directed films such as "Do the Right Thing" and "He Got Game", said he was asked to work on the game this year, an offer which he accepted.

Quote:
"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.

Lee is known for his gritty storytelling style, but that won't be an issue with NBA 2K16.

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."

UPDATE: (via SimBaller, AKA Erick Boenisch - comment post #68)

Quote:
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

UPDATE #2: (via @Ronnie2K)

Quote:
Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

What do you think about Spike Lee directing the MyCAREER story this year? What do you expect to see out of Frequency Vibrations' story this season?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/04/15 01:37 PM
That name has to go! Come on 2K really?!? Hopefully it's not too late into development to change it. WTF is that? Frequency Vibrations? SMH! This is still a basketball game not some SCI Fi show or adult film. This will be an epic FAIL if they don't change that name. I get that Spike is trying to be different as usual but this is ridiculous.

# 42 RyanLaFalce @ 06/04/15 01:46 PM
The career mode honestly sounds/looks REALLY dumb. Thankfully there is still online play with friends and myLeague.

# 43 swimfunk @ 06/04/15 02:09 PM
Frequency Vibrations eh? Sounds like my sex life

# 44 8KB24 @ 06/04/15 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfunk
Frequency Vibrations eh? Sounds like my sex life
If it were like my sex life...it'd be Home Alone.

# 45 Chris Smoove @ 06/04/15 02:32 PM
It's hard to believe that we would be this character since its My Career. Maybe this guy is another young NBA Player who's career went crashing down. So they use his story to help you guide yours and make better decisions. That sounds more logical than us being Frequency Vibrations lol

# 46 The 24th Letter @ 06/04/15 02:39 PM

# 47 2kNerd @ 06/04/15 02:40 PM
UGH...sounds like 2K continues to appease casual gamers and little kids.

I will admit that I'm not a huge MyCareer player. But that's because the entire mode is built around becoming a star. I'd be more interested if the mode had more freedom to let players decide what path they take. 2K claims this is what MyCareer is, but the truth is every path leads to the same place, there are just different ways to get there.

Casual users have no interest in playing a mode where they don't become the next Michael Jordan. Personally, I'd be much more interested in the mode if it was realistic and made it difficult to become a Hall of Famer.

I'll wait and see before passing final judgement, but this looks like another step in the wrong direction. At times it's painful to watch this game take steps toward becoming NBA Jam 2K.

# 48 GuwopGeezus @ 06/04/15 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I have so many mixed feelings about this that I'm reconsidering buying this upcoming year immediately.

It truly seems that the 2K team has listened to a few of my concerns with the past 3 years MC implementation ... taking in the most minor and ignoring the greater more important.

The corny and stupid characters (Jackson Ellis) and cut-scenes ("Cover Somebody!" after stealing the rock) is a criticism to be addressed but ignoring the railroading of my player into being a petulant drunken Allen Iverson ranting about practices and spending 40k on strippers might mean the end of my loyalty.

Mark my words, if I am forced into an Allen Iverson cosplay adventure, I will wash my hands of 2k for good.
Why are you assuming this is an Iverson autobiography? There are other off court distractions besides strippers and clubs

# 49 Rasco11 @ 06/04/15 02:45 PM
Would have preferred Radio Raheem

# 50 Yuss @ 06/04/15 02:48 PM
Can people stop the exaggeration when it comes to 2k and mycareer mode. I understand some people here do not like it but do not pretend 2k Hasn't made two franchise modes, changed the way NBA teams run their offense in game, and made a better commitment to updating real life rosters last year.

There could be improvements, but saying this is the only mode 2K cares comes across as whiny.

# 51 Taer @ 06/04/15 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuwopGeezus
Why are you assuming this is an Iverson autobiography? There are other off court distractions besides strippers and clubs
Iverson is the "stereotype" I think of when you check off all of Spike Lee's story elements and include bringing the drama.

1. money - check
  2. fame starting at the high school level - check
  3. family members - check
  4. press - check
  5. fans - check

I hope I'm totally off-base but I am not raising my hopes.

# 52 BA2929 @ 06/04/15 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
Iverson is the "stereotype" I think of when you check off all of Spike Lee's story elements and include bringing the drama.

1. money - check
  2. fame starting at the high school level - check
  3. family members - check
  4. press - check
  5. fans - check

I hope I'm totally off-base but I am not raising my hopes.
If you're only going off only the things on that checklist, this could be based off numerous NBA players. Including LeBron.

# 53 Inzombniac @ 06/04/15 03:04 PM
People are being way too hard on this off of a name and a brief description about it. If we had actual information confirming half of what people are hating and speculating on in this thread, fair enough. All this is, is someone mentioning something and a few details and a lot of posters are acting like the end is near.

Am I fan of the name Frequency Vibrations? Not really but I'm not ready to jump on 2K for making me play with that being my only name because I don't know if that's the case. It could be the nickname (which outside of announcers saying it in the game, are pretty useless), it could be a rival, it could be a mentor, anything. I more than understand some people don't dig the cut scenes, cool. At least wait until we get more information before taking out the pitchforks and making threats about not buying the game.

# 54 lakers24 @ 06/04/15 03:14 PM
People are upset over the name pretty much since there is no other info(I'm laughing myself) but I think they'll calm down. My biggest issue as some others have said is the fact they are year by year taking away what mycareer/myplayer was at its core. I think the best solution would be to have a purely story mode like this and a separate mode that is essentially NBA 2k11's MyPlayer.

I do like the idea of a documentary style mode where you start from highschool though for a story down the road.

# 55 I Djm @ 06/04/15 03:16 PM
Y'all folks man i swear, lord knows

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

# 56 the_future420 @ 06/04/15 03:39 PM
What in the hell is a frequency vibrations? This sounds awful.

# 57 jeremym480 @ 06/04/15 04:24 PM
Which MyPlayer is going to show up tonight? Good Vibrations who can go off on any given night and is triple double machine or Bad Vibrations who doesn't pass to open teammates and is the definition of a chucker...

Tonight we got

Spoiler

Tune in tomorrow to see how the frustratingly, beautiful internal struggle between Good Vibrations and Bad Vibrations plays out. #thestruggleisreal

# 58 bxphenom7 @ 06/04/15 04:24 PM
I am not feeling this at all...we'll see how this unfolds.

# 59 snocone @ 06/04/15 04:25 PM
Hopefully its just a nickname, instead of the actual name.

# 60 SimBaller @ 06/04/15 04:28 PM
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.