Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee, acclaimed filmmaker and die-hard New York Knicks fan, is writing and directing the single-player MyCAREER mode for NBA 2K16.

Lee, who directed films such as "Do the Right Thing" and "He Got Game", said he was asked to work on the game this year, an offer which he accepted.

Quote:
"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.

Lee is known for his gritty storytelling style, but that won't be an issue with NBA 2K16.

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."

UPDATE: (via SimBaller, AKA Erick Boenisch - comment post #68)

Quote:
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

UPDATE #2: (via @Ronnie2K)

Quote:
Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

What do you think about Spike Lee directing the MyCAREER story this year? What do you expect to see out of Frequency Vibrations' story this season?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 VDusen04 @ 06/04/15 09:52 AM
Frequency Vibrations stopped me dead in my tracks. Now on to the rest of the article...

Alright, I've struggled with 2K's story mode over the years due to its severe fantastical elements. But one of my biggest criticisms has been the corny and awful dialogue and voice acting. As such, when hearing things like this below, it is encouraging:

Quote:
The "Malcom X" and "She Hate Me" filmmaker focused on drawing out realistic performances from actors, whose voices and movements were all digitally recorded. Lee, whose teenage son Jackson is an avid gamer, said he actually felt liberated working on a motion-capture stage for the first time in his career.
And as for those wondering how far a Spike Lee joint is going to go:

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."
I guess I'm curious, didn't previous story modes have players use their MyPlayer? It sounds as though this year will have a specific player people control, no? Or might folks be able to switch their own player in their place?

# 2 Hassan Darkside @ 06/04/15 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I guess I'm curious, didn't previous story modes have players use their MyPlayer? It sounds as though this year will have a specific player people control, no? Or might folks be able to switch their own player in their place?
They did.

I'm thinking they'll give you full control over your player's appearance and attributes, but he'll have to be in that story under that horrific name.

# 3 cthurt @ 06/04/15 10:07 AM
Quote:
Frequency Vibrations stopped me dead in my tracks. Now on to the rest of the article...
?

I thought I missed read this lol I had to read it a couple times, so no more playing as yourself??? Now your an actual character of a story??? Wonder if you can still make the character have your face, then again what's the point with a name like Frequency Vibrations.

# 4 The 24th Letter @ 06/04/15 10:11 AM

Frequency Vibrations...

is there a option to venture into adult films in this years MyPlayer?

If so, you're all set with that name..

# 5 DocHolliday @ 06/04/15 10:36 AM
That is the most ridiculous name ever. I'm assuming you have to be a brash "get mine" type player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 6 brent3419 @ 06/04/15 10:39 AM
please dont be true lol

Sent from the landmass between new orleans and mobile on Tapatalk

# 7 Clappington @ 06/04/15 10:40 AM

USA today dropped the cover for Anthony Davis, and also story line is you are a top high school prospect so maybe we can do college?!?! That would be dope!

# 8 iTofu @ 06/04/15 10:45 AM
Quote:
Frequency Vibrations stopped me dead in my tracks.
Yea, maybe that's the nickname? Pretty funny either way. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Frequency Vibrations...

is there a option to venture into adult films in this years MyPlayer?

# 9 Eman5805 @ 06/04/15 11:05 AM
I hope that isn't just the new Jackson Ellis guy that insists we're rivals even though I dominate him every step of the way.

He's was a damn good FT shooter though.

Also, AD is on the cover? Hope this means they'll get him in to mocap his jumper in the game. I need that super high release, man!

# 10 Taer @ 06/04/15 11:09 AM
I have so many mixed feelings about this that I'm reconsidering buying this upcoming year immediately.

It truly seems that the 2K team has listened to a few of my concerns with the past 3 years MC implementation ... taking in the most minor and ignoring the greater more important.

The corny and stupid characters (Jackson Ellis) and cut-scenes ("Cover Somebody!" after stealing the rock) is a criticism to be addressed but ignoring the railroading of my player into being a petulant drunken Allen Iverson ranting about practices and spending 40k on strippers might mean the end of my loyalty.

Mark my words, if I am forced into an Allen Iverson cosplay adventure, I will wash my hands of 2k for good.

# 11 tsbmolina @ 06/04/15 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I have so many mixed feelings about this that I'm reconsidering buying this upcoming year immediately.

It truly seems that the 2K team has listened to a few of my concerns with the past 3 years MC implementation ... taking in the most minor and ignoring the greater more important.

The corny and stupid characters (Jackson Ellis) and cut-scenes ("Cover Somebody!" after stealing the rock) is a criticism to be addressed but ignoring the railroading of my player into being a petulant drunken Allen Iverson ranting about practices and spending 40k on strippers might mean the end of my loyalty.

Mark my words, if I am forced into an Allen Iverson cosplay adventure, I will wash my hands of 2k for good.
You do know you don't have to play the story mode if you don't want to, right? There are so many ways to play NBA 2K

# 12 aholbert32 @ 06/04/15 11:20 AM
Spike's names are always silly. Jesus Shuttlesworth. Flipper Purify.......but come on.

Frequency Vibrations!

LOL, WTF was 2k thinking when they approved that name.

# 13 Taer @ 06/04/15 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
You do know you don't have to play the story mode if you don't want to, right? There are so many ways to play NBA 2K
I play all of the offline modes consistently ... but enjoy MC the most. I can recreate my character in either of the Team modes but the entire structure and focus is on the team/coaching/management so the results are not the same ...

If I wanted to do this, I'm wondering why I don't just fire up 2k9-2k15 ... any of these prior titles will accomplish the same thing. Sure, I'll miss the new logos, courts and players joining this upcoming year but modding and create-a-player will solve those issues...

Will the gameplay advances Mike Wang, Da_Czar and others hint at be enough to compel me to buy this year's title? I honestly can't tell you at this point.

# 14 aholbert32 @ 06/04/15 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer

Where did they mention strippers? They confirmed that its an E rated game so I doubt anyone will be drunk. I also doubt there will be strippers.

# 15 jb12780 @ 06/04/15 11:23 AM
Frequency Vibrations...what?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 16 Taer @ 06/04/15 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Where did they mention strippers? They confirmed that its an E rated game so I doubt anyone will be drunk. I also doubt there will be strippers.
I do not think the strippers will be overt. However Spike does say:
Quote:
"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.
Which, bringing forth the AI analogy, means clubbing. Perhaps it will be breaking a leg in a scuffle with the NY police but my point is valid nevertheless.

Edit: If someone at 2K wants to produce a basketball movie, perhaps they should fund a full production of a movie instead of trying to shoehorn their fantasy into a MC mode in their game.

# 17 buganation7 @ 06/04/15 11:28 AM
If we are stuck playing with this dude, it will be an epic failure. smh

# 18 jaateloauto @ 06/04/15 11:54 AM
Quote:
Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.
ehhhh u wot m8

# 19 lilteapot @ 06/04/15 12:04 PM
This sounds like the worst idea of all time.

Shouldn't be called "MyCareer" then.

# 20 HowDareI @ 06/04/15 12:07 PM
At no point in the development of these scripted "My"Career modes has it been MY career. It's just a path developed for me that I have to mostly follow.

When it first came out and you could go basically anywhere and even to the d league? That was a my career.

And does this mean they're not trying the facescans again? If we can't be whoever we want?

Does this mean there will finally be separate online and offline my careers? Because you can't play online as the same guy or even the same name right?

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.