Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is available today for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We wanted to open a new discussion for those of you that didn't get a chance to try out the EA Access trial.

Get in a few rounds and post your impressions.

For those of you that have missed out on the recent news about the game, we've highlighted some of them below.For more news and media on the game, check out the Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR page.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TCrouch @ 07/14/15 12:36 PM
For what it's worth, Tour Difficulty isn't much of a challenge.

It's got "Normal" swing difficulty, for example. I go into custom and put advanced lie/wind gusts on, hard swing, no shot shaping or spin, zoom off, grid with no beads--and then I don't have that crazy scoring problem.

With all of that stuff on, especially on Tour's default "normal" swing difficulty, -20 or better is pretty simple. They just missed the boat on how to make shots have some variation in them without being either laser-accurate or wildly off target, which could have created a more organic scoring result.

# 42 cblake78 @ 07/14/15 12:40 PM
OK guys, need some help.

Preordered RM and haven't opened it yet. Also interested in TGC.

Which do I go with? Don't wanna get both. Not enough info out there on TGC or how EA will support RM down the line, so I want opinions for those who may have played both.

Does TGC come with a season mode for the digital version, or is that only for the disc version?

# 43 Flightwhite24 @ 07/14/15 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch

It's got "Normal" swing difficulty, for example. I go into custom and put advanced lie/wind gusts on, hard swing, no shot shaping or spin, zoom off, grid with no beads--and then I don't have that crazy scoring problem.

With all of that stuff on, especially on Tour's default "normal" swing difficulty, -20 or better is pretty simple. They just missed the boat on how to make shots have some variation in them without being either laser-accurate or wildly off target, which could have created a more organic scoring result.

I actually should of stated Custom Difficulty. I changed everything and still blew through the tourney.

Again I'm hoping for the best but I could not recommend this game to my worst enemy in the state that it's currently in. Just my .2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 44 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 12:52 PM
Quote:

Spot on Terry....

# 45 TCrouch @ 07/14/15 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPBLACKMAMBA24
I actually should of stated Custom Difficulty. I changed everything and still blew through the tourney.

Again I'm hoping for the best but I could not recommend this game to my worst enemy in the state that it's currently in. Just my .2

Don't know what to say, then. The shot placement is too easy on any setting, but with the grid beads off, putting is much more difficult than normal setting. And if you turn the grid off entirely, it's almost impossible to hit consistent putts.

But that's neither here nor there--shots are too easy, but to compensate you have to artificially inflate your scores by making greens impossible to read. I struggle with no grids or beads, but I can generally drop shots into a hula hoop from 200 out. I wish tour would give you an aiming line, but not an exact distance--because even with Zoom off, you still see "pin 158 ^ 6 feet", and still have a marker that says "160". OK, not much wind, I know this will drop it right there.

It would be nice to just have an arrow showing direction and not giving details like that. That's what makes those crazy scores so easy, and there's no way to disable it (and for the love of all that's holy, let me get rid of the green glob). Only thing I do to compensate is make my putting worse, intentionally.

# 46 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 12:58 PM
Quote:

And all of the Season weather and course settings are average and next to no wind at least through the Bay Hill and halfway through the Troon event. Try playing Play Now with Fast or Fastest greens and winds above 8-12 MPH and see how you do......

# 47 Flightwhite24 @ 07/14/15 12:59 PM
Quote:
Don't know what to say, then. The shot placement is too easy on any setting, but with the grid beads off, putting is much more difficult than normal setting. And if you turn the grid off entirely, it's almost impossible to hit consistent putts.

But that's neither here nor there--shots are too easy, but to compensate you have to artificially inflate your scores by making greens impossible to read. I struggle with no grids or beads, but I can generally drop shots into a hula hoop from 200 out. I wish tour would give you an aiming line, but not an exact distance--because even with Zoom off, you still see "pin 158 ^ 6 feet", and still have a marker that says "160". OK, not much wind, I know this will drop it right there.

It would be nice to just have an arrow showing direction and not giving details like that. That's what makes those crazy scores so easy, and there's no way to disable it (and for the love of all that's holy, let me get rid of the green glob). Only thing I do to compensate is make my putting worse, intentionally.

The above mentioned pretty much is the only way. Taking the grid/beads off is pretty much the only option I have to to increase the difficulty.

# 48 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 12:59 PM
Quote:

Are you reading my mind today?

# 49 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 01:00 PM
Quote:
The above mentioned pretty much is the only way. Taking the grid/beads off is pretty much the only option I have to to increase the difficulty.
NO QUESTION, they could make the game more challenging.

# 50 jakeandrew @ 07/14/15 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblake78
OK guys, need some help.

Which do I go with? Don't wanna get both. Not enough info out there on TGC or how EA will support RM down the line, so I want opinions for those who may have played both.

Does TGC come with a season mode for the digital version, or is that only for the disc version?
Personally, I like the PGA Tour series' gameplay over TGC. However, I just don't feel that RM PGA Tour is worth the $60 price tag. It has the content of a $30 game. What I'm doing is using Gamefly to rent it for a while.
TGC is not as accessible and is quite difficult but I can imagine it being very rewarding if you get the hang of it.

# 51 FSUNoles2009 @ 07/14/15 01:04 PM
This game is getting killed in reviews, many stating the same thing many people here have ... Just seems really basic compared to the other games. One review calling it a "starter pack". :-/, still interested in other's thoughts on the game.

# 52 VTKombat @ 07/14/15 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Me too. I am playing on Tour mode and have a very hard time with on the Slow rating on the swing mechanic. Can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong. I get Full Swing on the backswing, then I'm always between -2 to -7 slow.

Also, not sure but I can't get out of bunkers. No matter what shot type I select I end up stuck.

Otherwise, I like it. Wish in My Pro mode or whatever it is called you could have the option to play the whole round and not just 6 holes starting at a sim score.
For some reason the default shot type is custom. When in a bunker, switch it to full and it should come out. Just check your club distance cuz I've launched a few when I wasn't paying attention

# 53 muelly @ 07/14/15 01:16 PM
Quote:
OK guys, need some help.

I'd go with TGC. It's not licensed or as pretty visually but it's as close to real golf as you're going to get. It's truly rewarding when you hit a perfect shot, fairways and greens aren't always hittable. The game has an endless set of courses available with more to come. Some of the creations are really great.

The only knock is it's lack of depth if you want a career mode. There are online tournaments and tours but it's more about hitting the links and shooting a round.

Buy TGC $30ish
DL Rocket League for free if your on PS4
Get 2 cases of beer or use the extra $30 towards games coming later this fall.

# 54 VTKombat @ 07/14/15 01:31 PM
Quote:
OK guys, need some help.

Guess it depends on what is more important to you. I've logged over 150 hours on TGC on my pc and while it's a good game of golf and cheaper, I always felt very lonely. It's more like playing a round at your local course by yourself. While Rmpga is definitely overpriced for what you get, I really enjoy the crowd interaction and the pga style presentation of it all. IMO, Rmpga is more of a pro golf experience where TGC is more of a hometown feel. If I could put TGC's overall control into ea's game engine with all the main pga courses and a full blown character creator, I'd never leave home!

# 55 pencerm @ 07/14/15 01:33 PM
I'm not going to post much in regards to my thoughts on the game. I'll just say it feels like a game with a ton of potential that is half way done in terms of game modes, etc. I actually have a lot of faith in EA to add plenty of courses/content in the near future. They handled UFC really well and I think this'll be the same.

I do have a couple questions. 1) Is it confirmed that there will not be a new PGA game each year starting now? I know they've said that's what they're doing but I don't know if they'll start with this year's game or next's. 2) Assuming the next installment won't be for two years, how much can we reasonably expect via updates? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on what's possible and what's not. For example, career mode. By far the most disappointing aspect. Incredible hollow. How much can EA do via updates to make it better? Can they add things like a calendar, a trophy room, playoff holes, etc.? Or are we just SOL until 2017?

# 56 cblake78 @ 07/14/15 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTKombat
Guess it depends on what is more important to you. I've logged over 150 hours on TGC on my pc and while it's a good game of golf and cheaper, I always felt very lonely. It's more like playing a round at your local course by yourself. While Rmpga is definitely overpriced for what you get, I really enjoy the crowd interaction and the pga style presentation of it all. IMO, Rmpga is more of a pro golf experience where TGC is more of a hometown feel. If I could put TGC's overall control into ea's game engine with all the main pga courses and a full blown character creator, I'd never leave home!
What about the season mode? Is it included with the digital version on PS4?

# 57 calbearlover @ 07/14/15 01:50 PM
I was wondering if someone can please post there impressions of 3-click on hardest difficulty. I want to know if you can actually spray the ball left and right or is tee to green pretty easy, thanks.

# 58 VTKombat @ 07/14/15 01:52 PM
Quote:
What about the season mode? Is it included with the digital version on PS4?
If you mean the "tour pro" mode, than yes. It's a career oriented mode, albeit a little stripped. Still fun though. I saw someone post on another thread that each season is 16 rounds with the 8 courses (9 if you preordered) repeating themselves. Not the greatest but enough to keep me entertained till more courses come out.

In the end, it's all about value to you and only you. I can spend more than 60 bucks on a night out with the wife and while Rmpga is lacking. I'm sure when I equate dollars to hours of entertainment, it works out as a fair deal.

# 59 lmb89870 @ 07/14/15 01:52 PM
Hey guys-first time poster but have used this site for many years now. I have a question regarding course speed...I have changed the settings to tournament conditions yet I still fill like the ball is not rolling properly. Anyone else feel like this? For example, I hit a bad approach shot on a green with a good amount of elevation...the ball IMO should have rolled off the green due to the undulation but it doesnt....Also when I play a Links course I like to hit low punch shots to try and make it more realistic. However, the ball just bounces a few times and then stops. Anybody out there figure out how to deal with this?

# 60 saucerset @ 07/14/15 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2121
Commentary gets old quick, which I was surprised about, but the hole analysis is good.
I had to completely turn off the commentary after the 'mandatory 18 holes before you can do anything' round. They just do not shut up!

I'm enjoying the game so far, although I do agree with most of the impressions posted here. My putting is horrible and I currently live on the front edge of every green. It was kind of fun to go into the night games for a few minutes, but it got old pretty quick.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.