Home
R.B.I. Baseball 16 News Post

R.B.I. Baseball 16 is available now for PC (on Steam $19.99) Xbox One ($19.99), Android ($4.99) and iOS ($4.99) and should be available later today for PlayStation 4 ($19.99) users. Play a few games and post your thoughts!

UPDATE: It is now available for PlayStation 4 users.

Features

Make the play
  • Make the play with your favorite Major League Baseball team and win the World Series!
Feel the action
  • R.B.I. Baseball 16 features new fielding moves like dives, wall catches, pump-fakes and more!
New and Improved
  • R.B.I. 16 features enhanced lighting and graphics, revamped defensive AI and improved batting system.
Season
  • Track your season stats by team, player and league leaders across multiple seasons. Sim through games in Season mode!
Your Team, Your Way
  • Modify your lineup with complete MLB rosters or play classic R.B.I. Baseball 16-player rosters. Downloadable roster updates throughout the 2016 season.
Multiplayer
  • Take your skills to the next level and compete online (Console and PC versions only)
More Details
  • Defense: A redeveloped defensive AI will introduce new fielding capabilities including dives, wall catches, fake throws and more. This system will give users more control than ever before in making defensive plays.
  • Baserunning: Built in part from MLBAM's award-winning tracking technology, Statcast™, baserunners' abilities will be driven by on-field metrics from the 2015 MLB season.
  • Batting: An improved batting engine will feature variable perfect timing. For the best outcome, swing earlier on inside pitches and later on outside pitches.
  • Pitching: With a reworked pitching strategy AI, pitchers will play to their individual strengths. For example, a pitcher who features a wide range of velocity will mix speeds more often.
  • Season SIM: During season mode play, sim a game or multiple games to quickly advance through the season and into the postseason -- should the team win its division or earn a Wild Card spot.
  • Lineup: Modify a team's lineup pregame or in-game, including substitution strategies such as double switches. Lineups can be set from a franchise's 40-man roster or the game's classic 16-player rosters.
  • Graphics: All 30 MLB ballparks will feature a new lighting system based on actual geographic locations, field views and additional hi-resolution realistic design elements.

Game: R.B.I. Baseball 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: Android / iOS / PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
R.B.I. Baseball 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 johnnydangerously @ 04/24/16 11:03 AM
Hey @MLBGames, is there anything preventing one from sharing a saved roster file for RBI 16? I have gone through the current “Opening Day” update and refined pitching rotations, bullpens, and starting lineups to reflect real-world results. Where available, I have updated AL teams’ “no DH” and NL teams’ “with DH” lineups if they have played any interleague games as well. It’s a great set to start a season mode with, as the other 29 teams would be playing with a true-to-life rotation and 3 to 4 real-world batting lineups (vs. LHP, vs. RHP, with DH, without DH).

I’d love to post this for others to enjoy. Maybe we can get a roster discussion going like that other MLB game with all the roster attention.

# 122 Twigg4075 @ 04/27/16 10:53 AM
Ok, so I'm approaching 40 games played in my 162-game season and I'm just loving this game. I do have several guys on my O's roster batting well below .200 but besides that everything seems solid. I can't stop playing the game. I usually play at least three games before I force myself to take care of real life responsibilities. Ha. This game reminds me so much of a combination of Baseball Stars for the NES and probably World Series for the Genesis. I loved WS but it didn't take long before I was crushing the CPU. At least with this game I get plenty of challenge on Medium. I'm actually on a 6-game winning streak which I think may be the longest I've had in either RBI '15 or this game. My record is something like 22-14 I think and I'm only 1.5 games ahead of the Stanks in the AL East.

Besides several of my hitters hitting below .200 my starting rotation is dominant, and let's be honest, the O's starting pitching is lackluster IRL. I think 3 out of 5 have around 2 ERAs which is absurd, but the games are still fun. I've actually robbed several HRs. I think a big reason that the scoring may be down a bit and the lower averages is because fielders, especially in the OF, seem to be getting to balls they didn't get to in previous games.

I also seem to get thrown out at the plate quite often with my runner from second on a base hit. The CPU does not seem to have this issue.

But overall this is the most fun I've had with a baseball game in quite some time. I won a game against the Tigers last night where I was down 4-0 late. I clawed back to a tie game after a 2-run inning in the 6th and a 2-run HR in the 7th. Then I scored another run in the bottom of the 8th on a sac fly. Britton almost blew the save but Rickard leapt up the left field wall to rob a HR and record the final out.

One thing I would like to see would be awards, like Players of the Game, AL and NL Players of the Week and even post season Awards like the Cy Young, MVP, Gold Gloves, etc. Another great addition would be legend players that you could maybe unlock by accomplish certain things or even dlc, along with old stadiums like the Polo Grounds. I'm not a big fan of dlc but I would gladly pay $5-10 for a legends pack that added stars like Griffey Jr, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Cal Ripken, etc and be able to add them onto season rosters. Adding a HR derby would be awesome too.

# 123 Twigg4075 @ 05/04/16 08:26 AM
I'm about 60 games into my season now and still loving it. I fully expect to finish a 162-games season and that is something I haven't done with a baseball game since the Genesis days and Tony LaRussa baseball. Even then I ended up simming the final 20 or so games because I had such a ridiculous lead in my division. Right now I have about a five game lead on the Yankees in the AL East and I have one more game against them in the current series.

MLB Games really tightened up and fixed most of the issues and minor annoyances of previous versions of the game. I can't say more how much I enjoy this game. Robbing homeruns is such a thrill. A few things I've noticed that still need to be addressed are:
1) The 'phantom HR' glitch.
2) Errors. I will notice that the defense will be credited with an error even if it had no affect on the outcome of the play, which should not be the case. IE, a base hit to center field and the CF flubs it. The hitter had a single anyway and did not advance to second on the flub but the CPU credits it as an error and the hitter gets screwed with an at-bat with an 'out'.
I also don't think I've ever seen an actual throwing error. There have been several times, mostly with tappers down the first base line where the AI seems to get confused and the pitcher will try to throw to 1B before the first basemen is on the bag and the throw goes sailing into RF. I've also seen a few throws to second that went into CF/RF because the fielder wasn't on 2B yet. It just seems to be an AI flaw and not intentional because the game doesn't recognize it as an error. I do wish actual throwing errors would be added into the game. Manny Machado is an amazing defender but even he will occasionally throw high or bounce one to 1B. It would be cool to see Davis make a scoop or see the ball go past him every so often. Or an outfielder trying to throw someone out at home and the throw sails wide past the catcher or bounces away. Or even a passed ball. If you want to throw those slow pitches that bounce in the dirt there should be a risk that it might get passed the catcher.
3) Fielder switch fielding animation issue. I've mostly (maybe all) have noticed this with the SS. A ball will be hit to the SS but for whatever reason the CPU selects the 3B as the suggested fielder. I'll quickly switch to the SS with B (XB1, circle on PS4) and even when the SS fields it cleanly, directly in front of him, he'll always go into this animation where it's like he plays the ball behind him, running away from home plate if you will. It's jarring and it also causes the fielder to take an extra second or so which can lead to close plays at 1B or even speeder runners to be safe on plays that should've been routine outs.
4) I stated in another thread that I think the addition of injuries would be cool. I don't want them to happen constantly but an occasional injury that would force you to juggle your roster and call up a reserve would make things interesting.

# 124 Twigg4075 @ 05/05/16 10:04 AM
I love this game but the stats are definitely out of whack. I know someone else mentioned it in this thread after they simmed most or maybe all of a season. Right now I'm sitting at I believe 59 games played and there are a total of FIVE batters hitting over .300 in the entirety of MLB. FIVE. One of which is my player Chris Davis who is batting around .340 and is leading the league. The bext closest is less than .320 I believe. And then you have pitchers that seem to be way OP. As I mentioned before, I'm using the Orioles and four of my five starters have sub-3.00 ERAs. Two of them are under 2.00 ERAs, which is insane. Only one, Ubaldo Jimenez, has an ERA over 3.00 with like a 3.40 ERA, which is still outstanding. C'mon, it's the O's, their starting pitching is mediocre at best. My bullpen has similar stats.

I love the fact that nearly every game is close and a battle but c'mon. There still seems to be plenty of hits by both teams in my games but somehow it doesn't equate to stats for the rest of the league. I shouldn't be facing teams two months into the season that have starting lineups that are mostly batting at or below the Mendoza line.

Of course it doesn't help when fielders are credited with errors a few times a game when it should've been a base hit, as I mentioned in my previous post.

I'd like to bump up the difficulty to HARD but I just think that will make it tougher for me to hit, causing way too many losses, and that's about it.

# 125 MLBGames @ 05/05/16 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg4075
Right now I'm sitting at I believe 59 games played and there are a total of FIVE batters hitting over .300 in the entirety of MLB. FIVE.
I hear what you're saying. And not dismissing that a balancing tweak could be worthwhile. But I will note that only 20 players hit over .300 last year. And only 17 the year before. So 5 is definitely low, but its not completely absurd.

Quote:
I'd like to bump up the difficulty to HARD but I just think that will make it tougher for me to hit, causing way too many losses, and that's about it.
Bumping up the difficulty should raise your pitchers' ERAs as well.

# 126 CMH @ 05/05/16 11:51 AM
Ignoring the issues stated above because I haven't really dug in, I want to repeat the words of others when I say pitching endurance needs to be improved.

Even without using the hard fastball or soft curve boosts, starters are burnt by the fifth inning.

# 127 MLBGames @ 05/05/16 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Even without using the hard fastball or soft curve boosts, starters are burnt by the fifth inning.
Do you play Classic 16 or Full 25? Classic 16 is designed to follow the model of the original RBI Baseball for NES. Stamina drains much faster and you often need to use all 4 pitchers.

Fast and Slow pitches drain stamina faster. There is no stamina penalty for curving a pitch. I've personally thrown many complete games, where the pitcher did not become visibly fatigued until the 8th or 9th inning. On average my pitchers probably start showing fatigue around the 7th inning which seems pretty accurate. But I use Fast and Slow pretty sparingly. Really only when trying to go for a strikeout. It's about being economical. But perhaps we could look at tweaking the Fast/Slow stamina penalties.

# 128 Twigg4075 @ 05/05/16 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Ignoring the issues stated above because I haven't really dug in, I want to repeat the words of others when I say pitching endurance needs to be improved.

Yeah, I don't have any issues with pitcher stamina with 25-man rosters.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

# 129 CMH @ 05/05/16 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBGames
Do you play Classic 16 or Full 25? Classic 16 is designed to follow the model of the original RBI Baseball for NES. Stamina drains much faster and you often need to use all 4 pitchers.

Fast and Slow pitches drain stamina faster. There is no stamina penalty for curving a pitch. I've personally thrown many complete games, where the pitcher did not become visibly fatigued until the 8th or 9th inning. On average my pitchers probably start showing fatigue around the 7th inning which seems pretty accurate. But I use Fast and Slow pretty sparingly. Really only when trying to go for a strikeout. It's about being economical. But perhaps we could look at tweaking the Fast/Slow stamina penalties.
I'm using full 25.

I will play some more. I took a break and haven't really dug into the game as much. But now I plan to because I enjoy it.

Don't change it based on me. I thought it might be more widespread but it's more likely my sparingly of the fast/slow is too frequent.

# 130 CMH @ 05/05/16 10:03 PM
I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or differently? I have video of my first 5 innings to share if needed.

With Buckholtz, I reached the 5th inning and only threw 5 fast or slow pitches (pressing up or down). Everything else was just movement and spotting pitches.

And despite that, he was gassed in the 5th. I stretched him into the 6th but his fastball faded into the 60s and he gave up a bomb before I pulled him.

Not sure why my starters can't get past the 5th inning without tiring out.

# 131 Steve_OS @ 05/11/16 07:24 PM
Another roster update has arrived, FYI.

# 132 Twigg4075 @ 05/12/16 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or differently? I have video of my first 5 innings to share if needed.

With Buckholtz, I reached the 5th inning and only threw 5 fast or slow pitches (pressing up or down). Everything else was just movement and spotting pitches.

And despite that, he was gassed in the 5th. I stretched him into the 6th but his fastball faded into the 60s and he gave up a bomb before I pulled him.

Not sure why my starters can't get past the 5th inning without tiring out.
Are you trying to pitch 'realistically'? IE, do you actually have walks? Are you trying to paint corners and all that stuff? If so, that may be the reason. RBI isn't a game designed for that. It's a pick up and play arcade game. I basically throw all strikes with the occasional ball when I'm trying to get the CPU to chase, and of course when I throw the slow pitch that hits the dirt. But I routinely have my starters last into the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, which is very unrealistic with the O's becuase I think they have the least quality starts in MLB. But it's fun and the games go quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Another roster update has arrived, FYI.
Is there a list of the changes somewhere?

# 133 MLBGames @ 05/12/16 11:09 AM
Quote:
Is there a list of the changes somewhere?
The following players were added. I don't have a list of players that were removed. And all Rotations and Lineups were updated to reflect real world usage. If an injured player is due to be back within roughly the next month, they were treated as active.

ARI Buschmann, Matt
ATL Brignac, Reid
ATL Cervenka, Hunter
ATL Chacin, Jhoulys
ATL D'Arnaud, Chase
ATL Smith, Mallex
ATL Tuiasosopo, Matt
BOS Rutledge, Josh
BOS Cuevas, William
BOS Light, Pat
CHC Federowicz, Tim
CHC Soto, Giovanni
CHC Kalish, Ryan
CHC Kawasaki, Munenori
CIN Adleman, Tim
CIN Hayes, Drew
CIN Ramirez, JC
CIN Somsen, Layne
CIN Wood, Blake
COL Estevez, Carlos
COL Germen, Gonzalez
CWS Gonzalez, Miguel
CWS Sanchez, Hector
CWS Smith, Kevan
DET Fulmer, Michael
DET Wilson, Bobby
HOU Devenski, Chris
LAA Achter, A.J.
LAA Ortega, Rafael
LAA Robinson, Shane
LAD Stripling, Ross
LAD Walters, Zach
MIA Ege, Cody
MIA Wittgren, Nick
MIL Guerra, Junior
MIL Freeman, Sam
MIL Perez, Hernan
MIL Presley, Alex
MIN Berrios, Jose
MIN Centeno, Juan
MIN Mastroianni, Darin
NYM Rivera, Rene
NYY Chapman, Aroldis
NYY Gamel, Ben
NYY Heathcott, Slade
OAK Manaea, Sean
OAK McBride, Matt
OAK Surkamp, Eric
OAK Triggs, Andrew
PHI Bailey, Andrew
PHI Lough, David
PIT Schugel, A.J.
SD Hand, Brad
SD Kirkman, Michael
SD Vargas, Cesar
SD Weeks, Jemile
SEA Johnson, Steve
SEA Lee, Dae-Ho
SF Gillaspie, Conor
SF Law, Derek
SF Mazzaro, Win
SF Okert, Steven
STL Diaz, Aledmys
TB Marinez, Jhan
TB Goebbert, Jake
TB Snell, Blake
TEX Griffin, A.J.
TEX Mazara, Nomar
TEX Nicholas, Brett
TEX Ramos, Cesar
TOR Dominguez, Matt
TOR Girodo, Chad

# 134 CMH @ 05/12/16 06:29 PM
Quote:
Are you trying to pitch 'realistically'? IE, do you actually have walks? Are you trying to paint corners and all that stuff? If so, that may be the reason. RBI isn't a game designed for that. It's a pick up and play arcade game. I basically throw all strikes with the occasional ball when I'm trying to get the CPU to chase, and of course when I throw the slow pitch that hits the dirt. But I routinely have my starters last into the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, which is very unrealistic with the O's becuase I think they have the least quality starts in MLB. But it's fun and the games go quickly.
This could be it. I'm definitely painting corners and racking up the strikeouts by pitching away from bats.

I don't mind if the game is actually intended for me to throw at the plate for contact.

But it seems that the CPU doesn't pitch that way either and their starters are burned by the 5th as well.

Having said that, I can change my approach and maybe knock down the difficulty so that the CPU can give me more pitches to hit while I give them more pitches to hit. Might end these insane 0-0 scores going into the 17th!

Thanks.

# 135 Twigg4075 @ 05/12/16 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
This could be it. I'm definitely painting corners and racking up the strikeouts by pitching away from bats.

I don't mind if the game is actually intended for me to throw at the plate for contact.

But it seems that the CPU doesn't pitch that way either and their starters are burned by the 5th as well.

Having said that, I can change my approach and maybe knock down the difficulty so that the CPU can give me more pitches to hit while I give them more pitches to hit. Might end these insane 0-0 scores going into the 17th!

Thanks.
What difficulty are you playing on?

# 136 CMH @ 05/12/16 08:26 PM
Quote:
What difficulty are you playing on?

Expert, whichever is the highest.

To be fair, I've been going from All Star to Expert back and forth so I can't remember which of the two I had it on when I had my second 17 inning 0-0 game in three games before finally accidentally leaving a pitch over the middle.

# 137 Twigg4075 @ 05/12/16 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Expert, whichever is the highest.

To be fair, I've been going from All Star to Expert back and forth so I can't remember which of the two I had it on when I had my second 17 inning 0-0 game in three games before finally accidentally leaving a pitch over the middle.
Now I'm confused? I thought there was only Easy, Medium and Hard?

# 138 CMH @ 05/12/16 08:49 PM
Quote:
Now I'm confused? I thought there was only Easy, Medium and Hard?

I really don't remember the names of the levels.

Medium and Hard is what I've been playing on. I don't know where I got All Star and Expert from.

# 139 Twigg4075 @ 05/12/16 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I really don't remember the names of the levels.

Medium and Hard is what I've been playing on. I don't know where I got All Star and Expert from.
I just stick to Medium. I played a few games on Hard and the CPU was just killing me. I probably win too much on Medium but I'm having fun. I think I'm like 45-20.

# 140 CMH @ 05/12/16 08:55 PM
Quote:
I just stick to Medium. I played a few games on Hard and the CPU was just killing me. I probably win too much on Medium but I'm having fun. I think I'm like 45-20.

I think I'll just do the same especially if I'm taking a less sim approach. Just enjoy the game.

Good advice. Thanks.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.