Home
The Golf Club 2 News Post

HB Studios have just announced The Golf Club 2, scheduled to arrive in the first quarter of next year. The game will include a very in-depth player creator, new clubs, new apparel, new swing animations, new more challenging swing options, private and public clubs/societies, a more customizable offline career mode and more.

Check out some of the features and details below, but click here to read all about it.

Unity 5 – We’ve moved the game to Unity 5. This means lots of great things for all areas of the game.

Player Creator – We’ve got a huge player creator, where player features, clothing, clubs and gear will all be customizable. It’s almost limitless with millions upon millions of combinations to get your avatar looking just as you want him or her to.

Golf Societies – We’ve now got golf societies, not only places where you and your friends can hang out and play against each other in tournaments but huge public clubs. (All currency referred to is GAME CURRENCY, not real money)
  • Societies will have club captains that will design out seasons with entry restrictions, prize money and major tournaments
  • Tournament and society entry can be restricted by entrance fees and handicap ratings.
  • Societies will have their own bank balance so they can choose their own clubhouse. The richer the clubs the grander the clubhouse. The luxury of a plush club the status that comes with that needs to be earned to get there.
  • Major Tournaments – Using club size and popularity crowds will turn up for the clubs majors. The bigger the club, the bigger the crowds. The HUD will become more TV like and the commentary will also add to the occasion.
  • Career Mode – Players will also be able to play away a more singular game against AI. Using offline societies and AI players to earn money and work your way through the challenges of increasing difficulty. All money earned here can be transferred to your online career, so it’s well worth taking part.
You’ll be able to now design courses with multi-level water, crowd placement, lots of new stuff to place as well as lots of new tools to make life easier for the designers out there.

Gameplay
  • Swing – we’re currently looking at a 3 level swing mechanic. The easy level will very much be based off of what we have now, but with tempo added and a distance reduction, Hard will be very punishing if in any way off centre and the tempo isn’t correct but when it’s good you will get a considerably further distance. Doing this gives us the variation we want, the difficulty some want and brings in the actual point of multiple tees.
  • Practice Swing – You’ll now be able to take practice swings.
  • HUD Numbering and Shot Shaper – These will be rounded giving you less ability to dial a distance while working on the shot shaper to make it much harder when trying to dial in distances.
Practice Range

We have a full driving range, putting green and chipping green. This is a full sandbox mode, giving you the ability to go out there and improve any part of your game.

Graphics
  • We’ve invested heavily in the character this time out, getting full photogrammetry scans of people and clothing to make your player look as realistic as possible.
  • We’ve also invested in a huge array of motion capture from two brand new golf pros. Well not only have a lot of great new shot animations but lots of post and pre shot stuff as well.
  • Full specular effects on everything on your course, this makes it look even more realistic than it did before.
Multiplayer

We won’t be adding a traditional lobby, but we will be improving live multiplayer extensively. We’ll be adding more game modes and the ability to play non friends.

Game: The Golf Club 2Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 jwilphl @ 06/22/16 02:32 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Can you speak to any changes to the course creator?

One of the first things I'd like to see is an ability to set four different pin positions for each day in the event a tournament is held at the created course. Another is a bit better usability, of course, like an easier way to create custom shapes for hazards/bunkers/fairways. Also perhaps a way to drag a line of objects to better create fences and long bridges.

# 42 The Headhunter @ 06/22/16 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
I'm looking forward to this. Can you speak to any changes to the course creator?

One of the first things I'd like to see is an ability to set four different pin positions for each day in the event a tournament is held at the created course. Another is a bit better usability, of course, like an easier way to create custom shapes for hazards/bunkers/fairways. Also perhaps a way to drag a line of objects to better create fences and long bridges.
Multiple tees and pins will be in TGC2. I don't think you will be able to create your own custom brushes but HB_Paul said in the E3 build reveal stream that you might be able to scale the size of the brushes. Also, the devs are working on being able to snap some objects together, i.e bridge pieces.

# 43 scagwi @ 06/23/16 06:45 PM
Can we finally choose our own conditions and time of day in Golf Club 2?

# 44 scagwi @ 07/01/16 01:26 AM
The "new game" should really be called Golf Club 1.5

So much of what is being talked about should have been in the long overdue updates to the existing game they promised over half a year ago and never materialized.

Mostly a money grab. :-(

# 45 DivotMaker @ 07/01/16 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi

So much of what is being talked about should have been in the long overdue updates to the existing game they promised over half a year ago and never materialized.

Wow....just wow....

# 46 AnthonyKyne @ 07/01/16 12:19 PM
Quote:

Please explain. The game we released in September 2014, was the game! That was a 7/8 out of 10 game to reviewers. We've improved on that Base with 14 months of free updates and an optional collectors mode DLC.

So 3 years after the original release we will release a second game. This time with the help of a publisher giving us the ability to sink funds into player editing, a complete new set of motion captures, societies, more dynamic swing mechanics.

We haven't done the yearly minimal upgrade, we've waited 3 years and invested heavily to give a hugely noticeable difference. On top of that we've given away 14months of free updates on an already good game.

How often do you go to work for free just to improve what you're doing for your boss?
The community is our boss and we want to make sure we can give the best experience financially possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

# 47 jfsolo @ 07/01/16 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyKyne
Please explain. The game we released in September 2014, was the game! That was a 7/8 out of 10 game to reviewers. We've improved on that Base with 14 months of free updates and an optional collectors mode DLC.

So 3 years after the original release we will release a second game. This time with the help of a publisher giving us the ability to sink funds into player editing, a complete new set of motion captures, societies, more dynamic swing mechanics.

We haven't done the yearly minimal upgrade, we've waited 3 years and invested heavily to give a hugely noticeable difference. On top of that we've given away 14months of free updates on an already good game.

How often do you go to work for free just to improve what you're doing for your boss?
The community is our boss and we want to make sure we can give the best experience financially possible.

No, no, no don't engage, you'll just encourage more irrational statements from others of that ilk.

# 48 OnlookerDelay @ 07/01/16 01:35 PM
Quote:

Wow... seriously!? A new game engine, a new swing interface requiring a tempo component, customizable golfers, clubs and balls, user created clubs (societies) with custom competitions, custom camera configurations, other people/players out on the course during your round, likely blended 3-D grass transitions between fairway/first cut, first cut/rough, rough/heavy rough, green/fringe, fringe/fairway... and that's only worth the designation of 1.5??

IMO, what they're proposing with TGC 2 is the biggest leap over a forerunner I've ever seen in a computer or video golf game. I can't recall a game developer offering the level of updates HBS has put out over the last two years for TGC. Yes, we haven't had but one in the last seven months, but for a year and a half we've had an unprecedented number of updates for this game.

# 49 scagwi @ 07/01/16 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay

...what they're proposing with TGC 2....

First of all that's all they're really doing right now is proposing stuff, as it's all so far away.

You are sure giving a lot of credit for stuff they have not yet delivered to a company that stopped doing updates on the first game well short of many features being finished or rolled out of all...

Lots of us on the first game still wanted a lot more updates and fixes.

# 50 scagwi @ 07/01/16 02:07 PM
Quote:

The DLC "mode" was sort of half baked, and I think you know it (your own forums seem to prove it on that)

I'm glad that "community is your boss", as they have plenty of good ideas, no question

Hopefully TGCv2 can be all that is promised, as I know many were let down by what the final features ended up being on version 1

# 51 OnlookerDelay @ 07/01/16 02:57 PM
Quote:
First of all that's all they're really doing right now is proposing stuff, as it's all so far away.

You are sure giving a lot of credit for stuff they have not yet delivered to a company that stopped doing updates on the first game well short of many features being finished or rolled out of all...

Lots of us on the first game still wanted a lot more updates and fixes.
They seemed to address most of the things they said they'd address in TGC 1. The only one they didn't get to that was a biggy for me was the reverse angle landing camera option that was strongly hinted at as a possibility in the first half year or so of existence. I guess they could have rolled some of what they're doing with TGC 2 into the current game, but honestly, I'd rather see them direct their energy at an updated game engine and a new swing interface.

I've seen enough evidence to suggest to me that HBS will deliver on what they've announced. They haven't 100% committed to the blended grass type transitions yet because they don't know for certain that they can do it within the context of their engine. I hope they can because it will be a major coup if they do... the course will look more like an environment than a map.

# 52 scagwi @ 07/01/16 03:05 PM
Quote:
They seemed to address most of the things they said they'd address in TGC 1. The only one they didn't get to that was a biggy for me was the reverse angle landing camera option that was strongly hinted at as a possibility in the first half year or so of existence. I guess they could have rolled some of what they're doing with TGC 2 into the current game, but honestly, I'd rather see them direct their energy at an updated game engine and a new swing interface.

I've seen enough evidence to suggest to me that HBS will deliver on what they've announced. They haven't 100% committed to the blended grass type transitions yet because they don't know for certain that they can do it within the context of their engine. I hope they can because it will be a major coup if they do... the course will look more like an environment than a map.
Better grass transitions would indeed be nice.

# 53 countryboy @ 07/01/16 03:25 PM
Anthony...

Any chance you guys implement the 3 click meter swing system?

# 54 goillini03 @ 07/01/16 03:41 PM
I grabbed the first game, and I will probably be picking up this one too. Maybe this time I can get a few friends to get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 55 OnlookerDelay @ 07/01/16 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Anthony...

Any chance you guys implement the 3 click meter swing system?
Anthony will eventually speak for himself, but I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that there is none... it's just not in their vision for the game.

# 56 AnthonyKyne @ 07/02/16 01:43 PM
Yeah as onlooker says ii doesn't fit the vision.
As an old 3-clicker myself I can see the reluctance to change but I can tell you once you do, it's hard to go back.

What can be achieved with analogue is far superior. The feel around the green, the deftness of touch, and the ability to take in the scene rather than concentrating on a power bar.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 57 countryboy @ 07/02/16 02:39 PM
Quote:
Yeah as onlooker says ii doesn't fit the vision.
As an old 3-clicker myself I can see the reluctance to change but I can tell you once you do, it's hard to go back.

What can be achieved with analogue is far superior. The feel around the green, the deftness of touch, and the ability to take in the scene rather than concentrating on a power bar.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I've played both ways, both 3 click swing and analog stick. I just prefer the 3 click swing.

# 58 RIFRIG @ 07/02/16 03:16 PM
Quote:
Wow... seriously!? A new game engine, a new swing interface requiring a tempo component, customizable golfers, clubs and balls, user created clubs (societies) with custom competitions, custom camera configurations, other people/players out on the course during your round, likely blended 3-D grass transitions between fairway/first cut, first cut/rough, rough/heavy rough, green/fringe, fringe/fairway... and that's only worth the designation of 1.5??

IMO, what they're proposing with TGC 2 is the biggest leap over a forerunner I've ever seen in a computer or video golf game. I can't recall a game developer offering the level of updates HBS has put out over the last two years for TGC. Yes, we haven't had but one in the last seven months, but for a year and a half we've had an unprecedented number of updates for this game.
I'm sure the game will change for the better with gameplay & options but I'm not convinced Unity 5 can do much better visually than we already have in TGC.

# 59 OnlookerDelay @ 07/02/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFRIG
I'm sure the game will change for the better with gameplay & options but I'm not convinced Unity 5 can do much better visually than we already have in TGC.
Perfect Parallel's Andrew Jones said yesterday during the Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf Twitch broadcast that they were able to nearly double the frame rates in JNPG using Unity 5.4. Of course JNPG uses SpeedTree (HBS has opted to not use SpeedTree for proprietary reasons... and I'm not here to cast judgment as to whether that's good or bad), which no doubt has some bearing on that.

The hidden benefit of doubling the frame rate is that it could also enable the unleashing of some of Unity's currently untapped or underutilized graphics features. I think we could see higher quality water reflections, more detailed 3D grass and course objects with the added performance boost, and still see a significant increase in frame rates, which the console versions, especially the XB1, of TGC sorely need.

If you've played the PC version of TGC on a better than average gaming gaming PC, you'll realize that the quality draw distance for trees and objects can be extended 4 times further, or more, while using 4X antialiasing and 8X anisotropic filtering to tidy up the graphics and textures even more. I'd like to see the console versions brought up to at least the quality and performance I currently experience on my PC. I average 40 to 45 FPS with the settings listed above on my PC. For comparison purposes, here's the specs of my gaming PC:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 960 2 GB (Superclocked)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

# 60 RIFRIG @ 07/02/16 04:03 PM
Quote:
Perfect Parallel's Andrew Jones said yesterday during the Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf Twitch broadcast that they were able to nearly double the frame rates in JNPG using Unity 5.4. Of course JNPG uses SpeedTree (HBS has opted to not use SpeedTree for proprietary reasons... and I'm not here to cast judgment as to whether that's good or bad), which no doubt has some bearing on that.

The hidden benefit of doubling the frame rate is that it could also enable the unleashing of some of Unity's currently untapped or underutilized graphics features. I think we could see higher quality water reflections, more detailed 3D grass and course objects with the added performance boost, and still see a significant increase in frame rates, which the console versions, especially the XB1, of TGC sorely need.

If you've played the PC version of TGC on a better than average gaming gaming PC, you'll realize that the quality draw distance for trees and objects can be extended 4 times further, or more, while using 4X antialiasing and 8X anisotropic filtering to tidy up the graphics and textures even more. I'd like to see the console versions brought up to at least the quality and performance I currently experience on my PC. I average 40 to 45 FPS with the settings listed above on my PC. For comparison purposes, here's the specs of my gaming PC:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 960 2 GB (Superclocked)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit
I personally think the 2D grass of PG blend way better than the 3D grass of TGC.
I think going back to 2D would free up some performance & allow for a more organic looking game with a wider variety of texture options.
HB also spend a lot of time making the sky look good but I feel the terrain visuals are being held back to allow for this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.