Home
FIFA 17 News Post

FSB has posted their FIFA 17 hands-on impressions from E3 2016. They talk about the Frostbite engine, The Journey, physical play, attacking depth, set pieces and much more.

Quote:
One of the highlights of this early build is the variety in attacking runs. The AI is constantly assessing pace and opponent positioning in order to provide authentic and varied team mate run options. Attackers don’t just go for the gaps anymore, they consider the impact it has on the opponents backline and try to disrupt it by forcing players out of position. You will see instances where an attacker will make a run to open a gap for you. The results were quite profound in our playtest with one particular situation standing out. With Aubameyang in possession and dribbling quite close to Kagawa through the middle, Reus cuts in and makes a run into the box pulling the right back. Kagawa first offers the short pass option, but then makes an arched run behind Aubameyang, taking a centre back and opening a gap yet providing a through ball option. At that point, you realise that your AI teammates are actively providing options. Interestingly, when the opponent parks the bus, the channels become tighter, yet the effort is still there from your team mates.

Game: FIFA 17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 TheLetterZ @ 06/15/16 12:48 PM
Anything that leads to more variety among AI teams sounds great to me.

# 2 DBMcGee3 @ 06/15/16 02:10 PM
Sounds great, I just hope the defensive AI has also been upgraded. Otherwise is sounds like the offense may be a bit OP'd, a la PES 2016.

# 3 RoyceDa59 @ 06/15/16 02:31 PM
If they can really focus on player individuality ( and team tactics) that will be personally be huge for me. I have always felt like this was something incredibly lacking in this Franchise. I am guessing the previous engine kind of hindered what they could do with this.

# 4 SVCbearcat10 @ 06/15/16 02:36 PM
In PES, I think goalies were under powered more than offense being over powered. It would be great to get variety. However, I'm sure FIFA hasn't fixed the fact that a team like Shrewsbury Town plays every bit as well, and with every bit the skill, as a team like Manchester United.

# 5 KG @ 06/15/16 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
If they can really focus on player individuality ( and team tactics) that will be personally be huge for me. I have always felt like this was something incredibly lacking in this Franchise. I am guessing the previous engine kind of hindered what they could do with this.
I agree Royce. It's nice having all the licenses and stadiums but if the players don't play like their real-life counterparts than what's the point you know.

# 6 RoyceDa59 @ 06/15/16 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I agree Royce. It's nice having all the licenses and stadiums but if the players don't play like their real-life counterparts than what's the point you know.
Yes it is something that has always kept me from fully enjoying Fifa games these past few years. PES struggled getting back to that point up until last year which was one of the reasons I felt it reviewed well last year. Other than that I can honestly say this is the first Fifa release I have been looking forward to since ever.

# 7 bigeastbumrush @ 06/15/16 07:30 PM
2 things:

1. Unless I missed it, they've haven't addressed teams playing like their real life counterparts.

2. The Be A Pro Mode- why start this kid off in the Premier League at what 17 yrs old?

# 8 Zac @ 06/15/16 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
2 things:

2. The Be A Pro Mode- why start this kid off in the Premier League at what 17 yrs old?
I think hes 19. And because of all the under 21 talent in the EPL currently. There is a couple handful of kids in the EPL right now. Ali, Rashford, Check, Depay, Stirling, Bellerin, Shaw, Ibe, Grealish. There are a bunch. Its just them playing off that.

Also this isn't Be a Pro Mode, its a separate mode altogether.

# 9 TheLetterZ @ 06/16/16 09:28 AM
Quote:
2 things:

1. Unless I missed it, they've haven't addressed teams playing like their real life counterparts.
They didn't. I wish they had. But there will be more variety in terms of how teams attack, which should feel refreshing. And they did write about wanting more player individuality through new animations. Progress.

Quote:
I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me. I don't like any of these "story modes" in which you're a spoiled kid who doesn't have to pay his dues at all. Just feels weird to me.

# 10 DBMcGee3 @ 06/16/16 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
In PES, I think goalies were under powered more than offense being over powered. It would be great to get variety. However, I'm sure FIFA hasn't fixed the fact that a team like Shrewsbury Town plays every bit as well, and with every bit the skill, as a team like Manchester United.
Dude, that's complete BS. I'll be the first to admit that there's not enough variety in play styles in FIFA, but to act like the lower rated teams play at the same level as the Champions League caliber teams simply isn't true. I played a BPL season this year as Arsenal, and I can promise you that my record against the bottom half of the table was significantly better than vs the top half. It's quite a noticeable difference in both speed and skill, I honestly don't see how you could have possibly played the game this year and still say that.

# 11 TheLetterZ @ 06/16/16 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Dude, that's complete BS. I'll be the first to admit that there's not enough variety in play styles in FIFA, but to act like the lower rated teams play at the same level as the Champions League caliber teams simply isn't true. I played a BPL season this year as Arsenal, and I can promise you that my record against the bottom half of the table was significantly better than vs the top half. It's quite a noticeable difference in both speed and skill, I honestly don't see how you could have possibly played the game this year and still say that.
I agree with you.

Skill is portrayed well in FIFA. The fast players are fast. The strong players are strong. Good dribblers dribble well.

Tendencies are where I have a big problem with FIFA. One of the most beautiful things to me about the sport is how many different strategic approaches a team can take. Even at the highest levels, there exists much strategic variety among top teams. FIFA reflects this fact poorly. The good teams and players play nearly alike in terms of strategic choices. It's disappointing, and I feel like it wouldn't fly in other sports games.

# 12 KG @ 06/16/16 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
I agree with you.

Skill is portrayed well in FIFA. The fast players are fast. The strong players are strong. Good dribblers dribble well.

Tendencies are where I have a big problem with FIFA. One of the most beautiful things to me about the sport is how many different strategic approaches a team can take. Even at the highest levels, there exists much strategic variety among top teams. FIFA reflects this fact poorly. The good teams and players play nearly alike in terms of strategic choices. It's disappointing, and I feel like it wouldn't fly in other sports games.
Agreed. FIFA does a poor job with players like Messi and Ronaldo. They never feel dangerous to me. Yes, they're great finishers and will finish if they're around the net but they never take defenders on. I've played Barcelona for two years running now in the Champions League final with Milan and both times Messi hugged the touchline and did hardly anything. Teams need to play through/funnel their attacks through their main men.

It should be hard to take them out of the game, especially if you don't have to man mark them.

# 13 TheLetterZ @ 06/16/16 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Agreed. FIFA does a poor job with players like Messi and Ronaldo. They never feel dangerous to me. Yes, they're great finishers and will finish if they're around the net but they never take defenders on. I've played Barcelona for two years running now in the Champions League final with Milan and both times Messi hugged the touchline and did hardly anything. Teams need to play through/funnel their attacks through their main men.

It should be hard to take them out of the game, especially if you don't have to man mark them.
Right, exactly.

And I find it bizarre it is normal and acceptable in FIFA.

Imagine a Madden in which the Patriots and Bills ran the ball with the same frequency, or an NBA 2K in which Stephen Curry shot threes as often as Eric Bledsoe or John Wall.

It wouldn't fly.

But it's somehow normal behavior in FIFA for teams and star players to play more or less the same.

# 14 BezO @ 06/16/16 04:19 PM
Quote:
Right, exactly.

And I find it bizarre it is normal and acceptable in FIFA.

Imagine a Madden in which the Patriots and Bills ran the ball with the same frequency, or an NBA 2K in which Stephen Curry shot threes as often as Eric Bledsoe or John Wall.

It wouldn't fly.

But it's somehow normal behavior in FIFA for teams and star players to play more or less the same.
I'll take FIFA's strenghts & weaknesses over Madden's any day. Sure, tendencies may be better in Madden, but the animations, interaction and general AI are far, far behind.

I don't know why either haven't addressed these issues, but I would think tendencies would be the easier challenge.

# 15 TheLetterZ @ 06/16/16 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'll take FIFA's strenghts & weaknesses over Madden's any day. Sure, tendencies may be better in Madden, but the animations, interaction and general AI are far, far behind.

I don't know why either haven't addressed these issues, but I would think tendencies would be the easier challenge.
Of course, FIFA has a lot of good things going for it. Just saying this one area is an obvious oversight.

# 16 Matt10 @ 06/16/16 09:22 PM
Quote:
Of course, FIFA has a lot of good things going for it. Just saying this one area is an obvious oversight.
This is because FIFA is still operating on legacy code of 2002. You can see the coding on the PC, and how the different "scenarios" result in a certain script to be ran. As a former gameplay editor, I know these legacy codes very well. They were in FIFA 16, and I don't think there is any reason to remove them, in EA's mind, in FIFA 17.

# 17 KG @ 06/17/16 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
This is because FIFA is still operating on legacy code of 2002. You can see the coding on the PC, and how the different "scenarios" result in a certain script to be ran. As a former gameplay editor, I know these legacy codes very well. They were in FIFA 16, and I don't think there is any reason to remove them, in EA's mind, in FIFA 17.
Apart from legacy issues they need the individual traits to mean something. Messi is a dribbler, perhaps the best ever but in FIFA he's neutered much like Hazard, Neymar, and other dribblers.

I actually think the lack of distinct team styles (NOT differences in quality from say a Barcelona and Watford) coupled with lack of individuality is the biggest issue facing the series. It creates generic'ness and can lead to stale repetitive gameplay. What's odd is that when you play with those guys you can feel the difference in players but it somehow doesn't translate to the CPU.

I picked up Hazard in my Milan MM and on the ball he's as dangerous as he is in real life when on form. Same with Neymar who I use when managing the Selecao. Even players like Higuain who are primarily "ball-to-feet" #9's feel unique but I never get the feeling that they're dangerous when playing them. It's always obscure players that cause me issues.

The only real big time player I have had to play close attention to was Pogba. Big, strong, fast, and with a lethal shot from distance I had to actually recognize where he was at all times.

Back on topic....I don't expect wholesale gameplay changes from FIFA 17 because to be honest, it's not needed. What's needed is refinement and tweaks here & there mixed in with the above.

# 18 bad_philanthropy @ 06/17/16 09:25 AM
Would be nice if instruction, and "organized" tactics actually meant something when it came to player behavior.

Too often I see my CDM or even CB in an advanced position. The other day I was trying to counter and the damn CB was running out in front around of me for midfield some reason and I lost the ball when he decided to cut in front of me and knocked it away.

It sounds like the AI revamp is supposed to address some of this. I also hope this means they do a better job balancing AI difficulty/momentum. I understand adaptive difficulty needs to be a thing for gameplay variety purposes, but it needs some work to feel more organic.

# 19 Matt10 @ 06/17/16 09:38 AM
FIFA, for years, has not been designed around individuality. The code clearly states on Overall (OVR) values, not individual player ID's.

The main problem with FIFA's determination code is the fact that it operates on Overall values. Such as Team Overall, Player Overall, etc.

The reason PES of the old days was so great is because it didn't use OVR values. FIFA's code is built on that, and then on situations.

What would be best, to me, is add in a rating such as "tactical discipline" for each player. This rating would determine just how disciplined the player is to sticking to their prescribed instructions on the tactics. Obviously, the lower value, the lower chance he is to carry out the instructions, and the higher, the more "rigid" and unwavering he is.

All of that doesn't matter if the CTT's aren't fixed. Player individuality will stand out when OVR is removed or they take a page out of PES book and add in the player cards (fox in the box, anchor man, etc) to force recognize those individuals.

# 20 TheLetterZ @ 06/17/16 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
All of that doesn't matter if the CTT's aren't fixed. Player individuality will stand out when OVR is removed or they take a page out of PES book and add in the player cards (fox in the box, anchor man, etc) to force recognize those individuals.
Yes, that addition could have a ton of value for the series!

And I have to think they could really run with the marketing for it too ...

"Messi plays like Messi!"

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.