Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 05/12/17 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Sounds like simulation style could be synonymous with normal style. The other two sound like additions and simulation sounds like what we've always had.

# 2 kyle81 @ 05/12/17 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Sounds like simulation style could be synonymous with normal style. The other two sound like additions and simulation sounds like what we've always had.
I'm wondering if they won't reimplement some fair play rules to separate from arcade though.

# 3 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/12/17 10:56 AM
Maybe this was a way for the developers to finally add the simulation things that the higher ups wouldn't allow due to competitive play. Excited to hear more.

# 4 T4VERTS @ 05/12/17 10:56 AM
Quote:
Maybe, I think the "play to ratings" thing is interesting. In talking with Rex he said the competitive guys didn't want QB's missing throws when the read was right and I think the game tuned that way throughout 17. I am curious if we will see more errant throws and sack fumbles when throwing, things that were there early and slowly changed.

# 5 howboutdat @ 05/12/17 10:56 AM
Quote:
actually ive yet to see players play according to their ratings , same for entire team.So i hope that means attributes other than sped,accel matter more than those two going forward, along with weight, height , etc.

# 6 Cowboy008 @ 05/12/17 10:58 AM
Will definitely be going with sim game style.

# 7 moose1619 @ 05/12/17 10:59 AM
If I remember correctly they had this feature back on ps1 or early ps2 days. Glad it is back, more options is always a win for the community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 8 KickassJohnson @ 05/12/17 11:13 AM
Quote:
This is my fear..

Madden as a whole has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm in the wait and see group now.. hard evidence is needed to impress me

# 9 T4VERTS @ 05/12/17 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickassJohnson
This is my fear..

Madden as a whole has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm in the wait and see group now.. hard evidence is needed to impress me
I'm okay if that is true though. They had to tune things like overthrows and sack fumbles to appease the competitive crowd. I am assuming the took the offsides off on defense (made it was harder at least) to appease the arcade crowd. I think we can get back some of the things we wanted, with the option to add more unique things going forward.

# 10 dougdeuce @ 05/12/17 11:56 AM
I think by reading those descriptions that competitive will be the "no bad snaps, no bad throws, no DPI, no holding, nothing out of user control" mode that Madden has been forever.

Sim will hopefully allow those things to be part of the game finally.

# 11 CM Hooe @ 05/12/17 12:05 PM
If "Simulation" does include things like bad snaps / etc., I very much look forward to seeing the reaction of the first user to lose a game of Madden like this:

# 12 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/17 12:06 PM
This could be amazing. Hopefully there's new sliders that undoubtedly work and more penalties for Simulation mode. I really hope they both get equal post launch attention as well.

# 13 TTD71 @ 05/12/17 12:17 PM
As long as "simulation" does NOT have the ability to 'swerve' the DBs out of position for easy deep throws, then I'm down for it! I really do hope this "simulation" mode has things like gameplay affecting stamina, awareness-based penalty chances, in-game penalties like holding on BOTH sides of the ball, etc.

100% wait and see for anyone who has a pulse and been around for any length of time with the Madden series...same story every year with the hype videos and trailers that show nothing of gameplay and in-game mechanics.

EA has always been able to put together tight hype vids...

# 14 howboutdat @ 05/12/17 12:29 PM
so rex has already stated that :

"Gameplay tuning updates will be play style specific. Title updates are more about global fixes."

Now my concern here, and yes its premature since we dont have full details on this , is that it seemed to me the patches were more what messed the game up than simple tuners. Maybe it will be done in a different manner now that gameplay styles are split up. I am hopeful this plays out well. I know only time will tell though, but still trying to be hopeful at this point.

# 15 SpyPirates @ 05/12/17 01:54 PM
I'm pretty hyped about this. I think this was a constant ask made by us here on OS, especially when we saw patches that seemed to take randomness out of the game.

This may not be popular on here, but i hope the sim mode doesn't restrict going for it on 4th down, 2 pt conversions, etc. I want sim mode to reflect how I would manage a team in the NFL rather than how a conservative, "i dont want to get fired" coach would. Especially as analytics are showing that so-called risky calls like going for it on 4th and 2 are actually optimal for winning games, i think it would be misguided to restrict gameplay artificially in this manner. At least include an option for it.

# 16 CM Hooe @ 05/12/17 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
This may not be popular on here, but i hope the sim mode doesn't restrict going for it on 4th down, 2 pt conversions, etc.
Could not agree more. Let me live and die based on my own play calling decisions.

# 17 Cowboy008 @ 05/12/17 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
This may not be popular on here, but i hope the sim mode doesn't restrict going for it on 4th down, 2 pt conversions, etc.
I don't think they would restrict your play calling. When I hear the word sim I think of bad snaps, high snaps over the QB's head, penalties that sometimes just kill a drive, and QB's who aren't 100% accurate.

# 18 thescoop @ 05/12/17 02:45 PM
A small little blurb but I'm excited by what I read. I'm very curious about the "target passing" and of course who wouldn't be pumped to read a simulation mode?

This is the first time in a while that Madden has come out with very little info but what they gave us got me excited. And none of this info has anything to do with my favorite mode, Franchise. So hopefully we'll get some good stuff there in the next couple of months. (Please finally give us custom draft classes!)

# 19 Crunky @ 05/12/17 02:45 PM
If SIM Mode is what I think it is I'm definitely buying the game.

# 20 Playmakers @ 05/12/17 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
This could be amazing. Hopefully there's new sliders that undoubtedly work and more penalties for Simulation mode. I really hope they both get equal post launch attention as well.
I'd be curious to see if they went in hard coded some sliders themselves to render a SIM experience

You could never play Madden with qba at default 50 and get realistic results for human players

And teams always played the same so this will be interesting to see how ea separates teams or is this just a hype fluff train marketing ploy

« Previous1234567891516Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.