Home
Preview
MLB Bobblehead Pros Preview

This Xbox Live Arcade downloadable title will be hitting this summer, and it appears that the game is essentially the Power Pros gameplay engine, now complete with bobble-headed players and still-legless body models. In other words, it's basically downloadable Power Pros.

The game is not quite as feature-complete as the old Power Pros games, but there is still a 162-game season in place and online play. For a downloadable title, this is still quite a bit of content, but I'm sure some fans will miss the old "The Life" mode.

Of course, I'm mostly talking like a fan right now, so for those who have never had the chance to play Power Pros in the past, it's a simulation series that uses cursor-based hitting and pitching. Players in the game look ridiculous, but they still retain their authentic styles. Side-arming pitchers throw sidearm in this game, and pitchers themselves usually have repertoires that are very close to authentic as well. This game is absolutely a simulation of the sport of baseball. And it's a good one at that.

The only negative here on the gameplay front is probably the fielding. Throwing to bases and diving/jumping are tied to the face buttons. So if you don't wait for the player to actually pick up the ball, you might end up diving when you just want to throw to first base. Still, once you get a handle on the system, it really should not affect you all that much. For example, I made an amazing diving stop with Robinson Cano on a grounder up the middle, and then was able to flip the ball to second base all in one motion -- and this was after I had botched a simple play earlier in the inning by diving when I really just wanted to throw to first base.

In terms of presentation, there is not much commentary, but all the MLB stadiums and players are represented here, and the game still has TV-like touches with some arcade flair. There are replays in the game after a big hit, and the game also recognizes a big pitcher-batter duel by cutting the screen in half for a moment to zoom in on both the batter and pitcher.

Final Thoughts

MLB Bobblehead Pros proves that you can't judge a game by how it looks. It may look ridiculous, but once you begin a game with the ability to warm up your pitcher on the mound, it's immediately noticeable that this is still a baseball simulation in the mold of Power Pros. Xbox 360 and PS3 fans will have a chance to download this baseball simulation this summer.

MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Evlmnky33 @ 06/09/11 02:22 PM
Thank god!! For the past 3 years iv bought the show and just ended up playing power pros instead. Can't wait for this.

# 2 ExtremeGamer @ 06/09/11 02:48 PM
SOLD! Now I can't wait for this game. Love Power Pros!

# 3 therockstar2005 @ 06/09/11 02:56 PM
Awesome! Loved Power Pros on Wii, and even more excited that this will be a downloadable game. Cannot wait.

# 4 boomhauertjs @ 06/09/11 03:01 PM
Finally, a good baseball simulation on the 360!

# 5 Blzer @ 06/09/11 03:55 PM
This isn't even a question. I would get it for $60 on release day. I've been waiting so long for this!

# 6 Blzer @ 06/09/11 04:26 PM
I also just read this from an article dated last week on TeamXbox:

Quote:
The first of three games to be released is MLB Bobblehead Pros which will be available soon, MLB Bobblehead Stars will be a DLC pack available around the MLB All-Star Game in July. The third game, MLB Bobblehead Battle, will feature a batting battle that will be out later this year.
And it also mentioned "selecting favorite individual players" as well, so in accordance with Chase's article it doesn't exactly sound like the full-fledged game we remember from the past, which is slightly unfortunate. I would still love the same commentary and being able to have my players practice, etc. Hopefully streaks/slumps are still in as well.

I basically would like to have the same game we used to have with a 16:9 & 720p option, as well as removing the black screen transition when putting the ball in play if possible.

Either way, I'm getting this game day one.

# 7 tvman @ 06/09/11 07:32 PM
So is this PS3 as well or only xbox?

# 8 rudeworld @ 06/09/11 09:42 PM
whatever happened to 2k bringing over that MLB game that was on the Wii and PS2... I never got a chance to play that game but it looked pretty good

# 9 ExtremeGamer @ 06/09/11 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
So is this PS3 as well or only xbox?
I assume both but the press release I read only mentioned 360.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 10 Blzer @ 06/09/11 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

If so... ****.

EDIT: Looks like that might be the case EG, based on what this info displays:

http://www.konami.com/games/mlbbobbleheads/

Anyone miss the cute big eyes on these players?

# 11 ChaseB @ 06/10/11 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

Yeah, I'm going off original press release, but both demo kiosks at the show were 360, so who knows.

# 12 boomhauertjs @ 06/10/11 08:31 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...blehead/716098

This page says that it is for PSN and XBL.

# 13 michfan16 @ 06/10/11 09:38 AM
heres a less laggy video

# 14 jvalverde88 @ 06/10/11 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...blehead/716098

This page says that it is for PSN and XBL.
Hopefully this is the case because I will definitely get this game this summer. As soon as I read "Power Pros" this game became a instant buy for me.

# 15 jvalverde88 @ 06/10/11 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michfan16
heres a less laggy video

Just because the Mets suck IRL doesn't mean he/she had to make them look bad.

The Mets suck at everything.

# 16 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/11 10:12 AM
Yes...this has become an instant purchase for me. I played the hell out of the Power Pro series, and this looks to be in the same mold. I wish they would say when it's coming out....all they keep saying is soon.

# 17 tvman @ 06/10/11 10:49 AM
Can you imagine the hype around here if Konami could make a MLB game based off PYS.

By the way has a price been announced yet?

# 18 LingeringRegime @ 06/10/11 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Just because the Mets suck IRL doesn't mean he/she had to make them look bad.

The Mets suck at everything.
For real.

I hope that there is a way to turn off the bobble on the bobble heads. That could get annoying by about the 2nd inning.

# 19 jvalverde88 @ 06/10/11 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ

For real.

I hope that there is a way to turn off the bobble on the bobble heads. That could get annoying by about the 2nd inning.
I hope so too, the bobbing of heads is annoying and distracting.

# 20 LingeringRegime @ 06/10/11 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
I hope so too, the bobbing of heads is annoying and distracting.
Unless......Nah, I will leave that one alone.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.