Home
Preview
MLB 12 The Show Preview (PS3)

While the snow might be piling up across the land (or not), things are heating up at the SCEA studios. Info regarding MLB: The Show 12 is steadily starting to trickle out day by day. 

But if you are looking for wholesale changes, look elsewhere. SCEA follows a strict policy of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” This is certainly not a bad thing. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, we consistently see building blocks, but this isn’t to say there is no innovation.

Last year we were introduced to analog hitting, pitching and fielding. This year, one of the early features we know about is Pulse Pitching, which is loosely based off of classic pitching. After selecting your pitch, and location, you then press X to start the pitch. A large X on the screen will appear and you must press X again at its smallest point. This is certainly a new and welcome take on pitching in this series. 

We will also have a new way of hitting once again with Zone-Analog. This time you use both sticks to hit; the right, to mimic the swing of the bat and the left, to place the bat in its correct zone quadrant. This should appease many hardcore fans. 

Another innovative feature being introduced this year is collision awareness. This will finally eliminate the clipping we see when players pass right through each other. Now you will see players getting spiked, plenty more animations for breaking up double plays, new tags and slides. Finally players can collide anywhere on the field. This has been a community request for years. 

My personal favorite improvement that we know about so far is the improved ball physics. SCEA Community Manager Ramone Russell said that the engineering team re-wrote the entire code on how a spinning object interacts with such things as a bat, wall or even the field. This should be a game changer when it comes to total realism. 

Speaking of total realism, MLB 12: The Show will feature over 500 new presentation animations, 300 new fielding and base running animations, 150 new batting stances, 75 new pitching motions, and one of my personal favorites, 14 new umpire personalities. I would say SCEA is doing more than their annual due diligence.

There is a reason why The Show is one of the highest rated sports games year in and year out. The folks at SCEA never seem to let us down. They never seem to break anything for the sake of that shiny new back-of-the-box marketing feature. They build off the rock solid foundation that has been in place for so many years, and I’m sure there will be many more features to be announced before the season approaches.

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 nemesis04 @ 01/06/12 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
The info box reads: MLB 12 The Show OUT NOW!
Good luck finding it! It does not exist yet.

# 62 Knight165 @ 01/06/12 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Good luck finding it! It does not exist yet.
Oh....but it does exist....deosn't it?

M.K.
Knight165

# 63 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/06/12 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_SCEA
I see a ghost!!
Who let Eddy out of his cage?

O.o

# 64 Pared @ 01/06/12 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe
Ramone's always good for some taunting! I gotta admit, I'm really excited to see everyone's reaction to the final announcement... #imalwayswatching

-K
Really??? REALLY??

You're excited for it to be raved about, analyzed, dissected, complained about, damned to hell then subsequently be labeled broken??

Glutton for punishment I see.

# 65 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/06/12 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Really??? REALLY??

You're excited for it to be raved about, analyzed, dissected, complained about, damned to hell then subsequently be labeled broken??

el oh el...

I was just gonna say this. Just wait for his "new" forum come this August!

# 66 thaSLAB @ 01/06/12 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
I would love an additional commentary team and for retractable roofs to actually open/close. The roof thing might not seem like a big deal to some, but when you play most of your games in one of these ballparks, it's HUGE.

Commentary isn't bad by any means. I just think another team would really keep it fresh.
I think the team is very capable, as is. The sound has been remastered for '12, so that should help with the "sound & feel" aspect of the commentary. And the flow/cohesiveness/dead air hopefully is improved too.

I say this because Vasgersian and Karros did the Cubs @ Red Sox (FOX) game back on May 21st, and I thought they did a very good job together and a had a good chemistry going.

# 67 nemesis04 @ 01/06/12 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I think the team is very capable, as is. The sound has been remastered for '12, so that should help with the "sound & feel" aspect of the commentary. And the flow/cohesiveness/dead air hopefully is improved too.

I say this because Vasgersian and Karros did the Cubs @ Red Sox (FOX) game back on May 21st, and I thought they did a very good job together and a had a good chemistry going.
To me, Campbell seems to be the odd man out now and the next that should get replaced.

# 68 thaSLAB @ 01/06/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
To me, Campbell seems to be the odd man out now and the next that should get replaced.
LOL, I didn't want to come out and say it directly, since I have a soft spot for Soup who is a Michigan guy but yeah... it seems like that would be the next step in the evolution.

# 69 labguy @ 01/06/12 01:44 PM
Unless the MLB team can fix the online issues the game will still be on my "no buy" list. Offline the game is great, but playing the CPU does not keep my interest. I know baseball is a timing based sport, which makes playing online difficult. But these guys should be sharp enough to come up with something to improve the performance so playing their game online is enjoyable. The strikeout levels and low batting averages online the last couple of years is ridiculous. Anyway that is my two cents.

# 70 nomo17k @ 01/06/12 01:54 PM
Quote:
Tough crowd!

I just started with MLB 10 last year, so all these guys haven't gotten so stale for me yet, though what they actually say necessarily become stale being repeated over and over; but I don't know how that can be avoided it. Heck I didn't even think Rex was that bad... he at least added a completely different personality which is often nice...

Repeaters and those who buy the game every few years might have a different view on how quickly these guys go stale. Just saying...

# 71 thaSLAB @ 01/06/12 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Tough crowd!

I just started with MLB 10 last year, so all these guys haven't gotten so stale for me yet, though what they actually say necessarily become stale being repeated over and over; but I don't know how that can be avoided it. Heck I didn't even think Rex was that bad... he at least added a completely different personality which is often nice...

Repeaters and those who buy the game every few years might have a different view on how quickly these guys go stale. Just saying...
Yeah, I wouldn't say Soup is terrible. He is more of a victim of selected lines and actual delivery, much like Rex was. Rex was kind of a love/hate deal, depending on how you were doing at the time in the game .

I thought that Matt's jokes about Rex were very funny tho!

# 72 BaylorBearBryant @ 01/06/12 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB

The team is very capable. I really have no problems with what is said or how it's said. I just get tired of listening to one crew, over and over. If you ever played NCAA Basketball 10, the best thing in that game was having two commentating crews. It kept it fresh.

With only one, how can you expect not to get a little tired of it after a while. Honestly, the same can be said for any sports game really. But as much as I play this game, I thought it would be a great add-on. Even if it was DLC.

# 73 Heroesandvillains @ 01/06/12 03:10 PM
Quote:
Heck I didn't even think Rex was that bad...
You must be an incredibly patient man in real life. Your tolerance for snarky one liners is second to none.

# 74 nomo17k @ 01/06/12 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
You must be an incredibly patient man in real life. Your tolerance for snarky one liners is second to none.
Or he's actually very good at motivating someone to get better (in order to shut him up); he advertises himself as such:

Rex Hudler - Motivational Speaker

Maybe 20 years from now, guys playing the Show now will fondly remember him as the main reason why they got so much better at baseball video gaming... Karros just doesn't cut it...

We miss you, Rex.

# 75 nemesis04 @ 01/06/12 03:32 PM
Quote:
Tough crowd!

I have been listening to Campbell in this game since 99! I am ready for a change!

# 76 blueduke @ 01/06/12 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humaca80
It would be nice if they could nail the 1080p resolution this year. Last year's game seem to take a performance hit when it was forced to 1080p.
Think it only played in 720p

# 77 sydrogerdavid @ 01/06/12 06:18 PM
Quote:
I have been listening to Campbell in this game since 99! I am ready for a change!

EXACTLY!!!!! Longest tenured video game announcer? Probably. I'm not really sure about John Madden or Al Michaels though.

# 78 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/06/12 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduke
Think it only played in 720p
That is correct. '09 was the last version that had true 1080p.

It is now disabled and only runs in 720p optimized. You force 1080p in the XMB and your TV is just scaling the image.

Native 1080p has been removed due to them already pushing the PS3 with everything going on in the stadiums, etc. (out of the mouth of one of the developers last year)

# 79 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/06/12 06:36 PM
Quote:
Totally agree

I'm so over Dave Campbell and his blabbering, useless, rehashed comments

Seriously does this guy even have a real broadcasting career anymore or does he just do his commentary from his recliner at home

# 80 Kolbe @ 01/06/12 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Really??? REALLY??

You forget... I won't be at the office when the "OMG ITS COMPLETELY BROKEN!!! THIS SINGLE FEATURE RENDERS ALL PS3 GAMES UNPLAYABLE! REFUND!!!!" happens. I'll still be sad that people hate me (because when you don't like something we can't be friends) but ill be safely tucked away in FL.

-K

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.