Home
Feature Article
Pure Pool Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to check out Pure Pool at E3 2014, and it looks to provide a slick game of billiards for PC, Xbox One and PS4. It certainly seems like it won't be lacking for features either, as it's got all sorts of career options, challenges, online hooks and even downloadable profiles (much like Forza 5's “drivatars”). The game comes from VooFoo Studios, developers of Hustle Kings, as well as publisher Ripstone.

The first thing I noticed was how well the game plays, as it's super intuitive to pick up a controller and get playing. You basically pull back on the right stick for power and push forward to take the shot, and there was a real tactile sense of weight and momentum on the shot stick. It was easy to add a bit of spin or “English” when needed, and the ability to hit the ball exactly where I wanted felt great. There was a guide line to show how the cue ball and target would go after the shot, but these got less precise the further away I got from the target ball, which seemed like a good compromise. It's also possible to turn off the guides completely, which will suit many purists, I'm sure. Still, as it was set on default, the game felt super breezy and enjoyable, and I was totally in control of what I was doing.

Pure Pool looks great as well, with beautifully detailed table felt (that can get chalk marks on it) and photo-realistic billiard balls. Even the background felt a lot more alive than in other billiard/poker/dart games, with a room that had some hustle and bustle. There is a neat little trick the game pulls when you're going for the eight ball, as the lights dim and focus on the shot. It looks like the focus mode from the underrated Table Tennis from Rockstar Games. The physics feel accurate to real-life billiards, with appropriate caroms and kisses off balls and some satisfying bounces off the rails. It's also worth nothing that the camera angle gets the action right down on the table, and it totally works. There isn't the detachment of top-down billiards, as has been the case in previous titles.

There seems to be a reasonable number of game types to play, including 8-ball, 9-ball and several other novelty variants. There are computer-controlled characters that have specific tendencies to play against, and there are a whole host of career tournaments and challenges to try and unlock. All of this is presented with a simple UI that pops out from the side of the screen, and it's really easy to change what you want to do on the fly. The minimalist nature of everything focuses the action on the pool while keeping everything looking classy.

There looks to be a whole host of multiplayer options in Pure Pool, including local multiplayer, online head-to-head multiplayer and downloadable “DNA” profiles that mimic the ways your friends play when they aren't around. The profiles concept sounds quite interesting, as it will track your play style and tendencies but also fun stuff like whether you choose high ball or low ball (stripes or solids).

Outlook

In talking to the developers of the game, it's clear they have a passion for making a good product. From what I was able to play, this looks like a fun downloadable that will provide a rock-solid billiards experience that also has legs. If they hit their goal price point of $10, I think it will be a strong proposition on any of the available platforms.

Pure Pool Videos
Member Comments
# 61 countryboy @ 08/01/14 08:02 AM
Finally got it to download last night.

# 62 LingeringRegime @ 08/01/14 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuk123
It's a separate DLC.
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just don't see where to access it in game.

# 63 jyoung @ 08/01/14 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just don't see where to access it in game.
You have to exit the game and download the Developer DNA pack from the PlayStation store. It's free to download.

# 64 LingeringRegime @ 08/01/14 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
You have to exit the game and download the Developer DNA pack from the PlayStation store. It's free to download.

Sorry maybe I'm not clear. I have downloaded the DNA pack from the store.

How can I play against the DNA in the game? Is it in career mode?

# 65 jyoung @ 08/01/14 02:03 PM
Once you download someone's DNA, it will appear on the local player list from the "Players" option on the main menu. Just click on their name to view their stats or start a match.

Another neat trick you can do is download your own DNA. You can do that by going to "Rankings" and clicking on your name.

# 66 rspencer86 @ 08/01/14 02:15 PM
If someone plays against my DNA, and the CPU starts shooting in stripes when it has solids, it's not a bug... that's what happens when I watch Royals games on my second monitor while I play.

# 67 LingeringRegime @ 08/01/14 02:30 PM
Oh wow you can play against friends DNA? Had no idea. Can't wait to play this more over the weekend.

# 68 rspencer86 @ 08/01/14 07:10 PM
This Tyler Holt ain't no joke. Dude runs the table like it's no big deal.

# 69 jyoung @ 08/01/14 07:48 PM
Just wait until you get to the end of the Amateur 9-ball ladder.

To beat the last two opponents, you basically can't miss a shot, because the AI sure won't. I managed to get up 3 games to 0 on the final boss Madison, but she came back and won 4 straight games to take the series.

# 70 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/01/14 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Just wait until you get to the end of the Amateur 9-ball ladder.

To beat the last two opponents, you basically can't miss a shot, because the AI sure won't. I managed to get up 3 games to 0 on the final boss Madison, but she came back and won 4 straight games to take the series.
No doubt. I'm doing the 8-ball ladder and she's the final boss of that one too. I don't know how I'm going to manage 4 out 7.

# 71 LingeringRegime @ 08/01/14 08:37 PM
Anyone else having issues connecting to the servers tonight?

# 72 jyoung @ 08/01/14 08:54 PM
Yep, the servers have been down all day again.

# 73 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/01/14 09:08 PM
I got several more messages today from people trying to figure out if they were playing me or my DNA. Hopefully they get the server stuff straightened out soon.

# 74 LingeringRegime @ 08/02/14 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I got several more messages today from people trying to figure out if they were playing me or my DNA. Hopefully they get the server stuff straightened out soon.
I played your DNA tonight lol.

Pretty close match.

# 75 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/02/14 02:45 AM

Madison can suck it lol. That amateur circuit was a grind. I think I'll give the 9-ball a shot next instead of going up to the next level.

# 76 JMD @ 08/02/14 09:33 AM
Does anyone know if it possible to turn off the names that constantly pop up announcing they are now online? I'd like to not see this. Thanks

After a lot of searching the web, I found that this can't be turned off. I hope they patch it.

# 77 jyoung @ 08/03/14 02:16 PM
There is no way to disable the messages that appear at the top of the screen. The only thing you can turn off in the options is the slow-motion cutscenes.

The server errors have gotten so bad now that I can't even play an online quick match. VooFoo really botched the launch of this game. I guess they weren't prepared for the number of people that ended up buying it.

# 78 ILiveForThis @ 08/03/14 02:32 PM
Yeah - I've wanted to play matches the last two nights but can't. I'll wait it out though.

# 79 ajs41072 @ 08/03/14 11:58 PM
Just realized that if you change the Baize Colour it changes the light of the color on the back of the controller. Except slate and charcoal, which make the controller white.

# 80 Braves22 @ 08/04/14 02:20 AM
If anyone is planning on making a league I would like to join up. Psn is ptw2287

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.