Home
Feature Article
The Ultimate FIFA 16 Wishlist

With the European season winding down, FIFA fans will still be going strong with FIFA 15. It's time to look at ahead by doing what we do best: compiling the ultimate FIFA 16 Wishlist.

Online Manager Mode - The ability to play online in a season mode with the transfer windows and cups/tournaments would be a huge addition to the FIFA franchise. Implementation would be difficult, but games such as Madden and NBA 2K have managed to figure it out.

Real Managers - College Hoops 2K8's Coaching Carousel was way ahead of it's time. Nearly 10 years later, the feature is long overdue in FIFA where managerial styles are distinct and carried from club-to-club. Be A Pro would become more interesting if the manager that brought you to the club was sacked. Will you retain your spot in the starting eleven? One may never know.

Stats Database - Manager mode junkies like myself have grown tiresome of keeping offline spreadsheets in order to track stats such as appearances, goals, assists, clean sheets, etc. FIFA needs to embrace the importance of club and country milestones. Manchester United fans would love to hear about Wayne Rooney -- or your Be A ro -- chasing Sir Bobby Charlton's 39-year-old club record for goals.

Preseason Friendlies/Tournaments - The ability to choose your preseason schedule is a feature that needs to come back. It would be a joy to take your club on a preseason tour of the States in order to bolster your fanbase. Preseason tournaments like the Emirates Cup are also a real measuring stick before the season starts. How your club fares in these tournaments can often influence summer transfer market decisions. Also, unlimited substitutions is a necessity in all preseason friendlies.

Individuality (Player & Team AI) - Over the years FIFA has suffered from a generic feeling whether that be the lack of unique individuality and/or the lack of distinct team styles. While FIFA 15 took a step in the right direction with much needed enhancements to Team Tactics the end product wasn't as good as advertised. An abundance of licenses are often rendered moot when the only thing that differentiates clubs are their kits.

Practice Mode - A playable practice mode within the season would be a great way to give your inner Rafa Benitez a go. Not only could you try out new formations and lineups, but you could prepare for your upcoming game by having your second side imitate the oppositions formations and tactics

Enhanced Presentation - Yes, the EPL's Sky Sports package introduced in FIFA 15 was a huge step up in the presentation arena but what about the other leagues? Or the stale nonadaptive commentary? One can only hear so much World Cup 14 talk. Little things like live cup draws, a trophy room with some of your greatest moments playing in the background (ala NCAA Football 08), and commentary that reflects recent achievements would go a long way. The return of the Creation Center would also be a welcome (re)addition.

Youth Players - If there's one thing done to the Youth Academy for FIFA 16, the ability to edit your youngsters has to be atop the list. Young players frequently learn new positions as they make a push for first-team football. Seeing your scouted left back with an 80+ finishing rating is disheartening. The youth name database also is in dire need of expansion as names are often recycled. Youth-side games (Under-21 for example) are an increasingly popular wish, especially with their excellent representation in games like MLB The Show. Instead of the infamous May 1st development upgrade, a youth season coinciding with senior side's should be available and partially responsible for development.

Targeted Player Development - Player development in FIFA 15 is far too random and could use a splash of specialized training. Nothing is more infuriating than seeing your young starting keeper increase meaningless stats while his goalkeeping attributes remain stagnant. Combining targeted development with results from the aforementioned Youth games would be the best of both worlds.

Longer Career mode - While it's rare for someone to play more than 15 years of a Manager Mode there are many out there who like to sim and use the mode as a de facto Coach Mode. For them and those who can stick it out, 15 years isn't nearly enough time. Seeing academy kids break through and establish themselves as well as missing out on potentially shattering club records in Be A Pro are just two areas we're potentially missing out on.

Awards - A season's Best XI and Player of the Year, as well as European awards like the Ballon d'Or, need to be incorporated moving forward. An added bonus would be to give the user a chance to vote in the league awards.

Defender AI - There are three main culprits that infuriate FIFA 15 players: the infamous jogging bug, terrible pursuit/closing-down angles, and the passiveness that our CPU teammate defenders have when closing down a 50-50 ball. These have been discussed at length and to a certain extent slider tweaks help to hide the the jogging bug but it would be nice to be able to count on your CPU defenders for more than taking up space while seeing them take a proper angle before engaging in a tackle.

Wages - Make wages mean something to your Be A Pro and Manager Mode careers. As it stands now, it's useless because there isn't a place to spend the virtual currency.

Winter Gear Bug - This bug has existed for over four years now. It's time that we're allowed to edit appearances without the risk of losing their winter gear.

Release Clauses and Loans - Release clauses are a great way for middle-of-the-pack clubs to generate a lot cash for pending transfers. Seeing your young prospect take the leap from "Exciting Prospect" to "Has Potential To Be Special" should be a warning sign that bigger clubs could come in and scoop them up. Setting a release clause to maximize profit while warding off potential low-balling clubs would add another dimension to the transfer market and avoid your board selling the player to a lower bidder.As it relates to loans, bigger clubs do not sit back and wait for loan offers in real life. They actively pursue clubs where they feel their youth players will grow, whether it be through playing time or at a club that employs a similar style.

Team Chemistry/Form - While it's important to have players play true to their ratings ignoring chemistry and recent form needs to play its part. Player form is currently in the game so the next logical step is to apply it to teams. Take Newcastle this year. They have talented players but experienced a run of form that nearly saw them relegated. Perhaps morale could drop as you put one past Tim Krul opening up the floodgates for many more.

Passing - Manual passers are tired of the full-on assisted players that litter FUT and online. Fully assisted players are tired of hearing manual players gripe that "playing on manual is the only true way to play the game." Somewhere, a happy balance needs to be achieved. Whether that be dedicated manual servers or an overhaul to the passing system.

It would be unrealistic to expect all, or even half of these changes to be implemented in FIFA 16, but they don't call it a wishlist for nothing. Now that we've discussed at length what changes we'd like to see brought about in please take some time to let us know what else you'd love to see in next year's release.

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 wsatterwhite @ 06/02/15 10:35 AM
One thing that I would like to think would be relatively simple to implement and would make career mode transfers much more realistic is cup-tying players. As it is, there is no reason for Real Madrid to not sell Benzema to Chelsea in the winter transfer window and buy Cavani from PSG as a replacement. Also, more emphasis placed on the relative status of teams when it comes to transfers so that the top teams buy top players from smaller clubs instead of simply swapping stars between each other.

# 2 PPerfect_CJ @ 06/02/15 10:50 AM
The winter gear bug has really been around for 4 YEARS?! That's just ridiculous. It HAS to be fixed this year. There's just no excuse for something like this. Have they even acknowledged that it EXISTS?!

# 3 Keano16 @ 06/02/15 11:02 AM
Youth Players physicals are one of the things that annoy me the most. I think the point mentioned above about it would be a great addition.

# 4 Turbojugend @ 06/02/15 11:27 AM
All great points. Honestly, if we got half of these -- along with gameplay tuning (hey, it's okay to take a few cues from Konami!) -- I'd be happy with FIFA 16. But if I could only choose one from the above list, it would be Individuality (Player & Team AI).

# 5 KG @ 06/02/15 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
All great points. Honestly, if we got half of these -- along with gameplay tuning (hey, it's okay to take a few cues from Konami!) -- I'd be happy with FIFA 16. But if I could only choose one from the above list, it would be Individuality (Player & Team AI).
Thanks Turbo! I had to trim my original wishlist. It was nearly 3 pages long, lol.

# 6 Hydra @ 06/02/15 12:16 PM
I feel like this article could be posted again some time in October and rename it to FIFA 17 wishlist. The EA sports producers might see it then and take some of the thing into consideration. This is a great list, but at this time of year, they're pretty much done the game and are just polishing it up.

# 7 flashstache @ 06/02/15 12:19 PM
I think an Under 21 team would go a long way with Career Mode. Honestly, any in depth additions to CM would be a godsend. A sponsorship and kit upgrade option every year as well as if you get promoted to BPL your numbers change to Barclay's. Also, a focus on the MLS would go a long way.

# 8 HenryClay1844 @ 06/02/15 12:43 PM
Ugh, there is so much that needs to be added or fixed in FIFA. 15 was such a massive let down for me that they really failed to utilize the power of current gen and leave behind the limitations of last gen. Part of the reason (not the only one though) that so many people were mad at the women's team announcements was how much work EA have to to to make this game on par with NKA2k or MLB the show. They have to have big news at E3 or they are going to lose thousands of customers.

# 9 JHedges2 @ 06/02/15 01:32 PM
Was our regular wislist not good enough, lol ?

# 10 ChaseB @ 06/02/15 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
Was our regular wislist not good enough, lol ?
No it was very good. It's just that FIFA info is sooooo close now and we wanted to get people re-activated.

Also I want a Sepp Blatter Simulator within the next FIFA.

# 11 talucchesi @ 06/02/15 02:27 PM
We should keep this list, and then check off how many things were addressed once Fifa 16 comes out

# 12 asu666 @ 06/02/15 02:28 PM
Some great additions, I hope they make it in the game.

# 13 ChaseB @ 06/02/15 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talucchesi
We should keep this list, and then check off how many things were addressed once Fifa 16 comes out
Certainly a feature the staff could put together after the game releases for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

# 14 ncaafootball14markus @ 06/02/15 10:58 PM
one thing that was forgotten is mix-matching uni combinations, similar to madden or the ncaa series. i cant tell you how many times i've seen EPL teams switch up colors. FOR EXAMPLE, manchester united does the red jersey w/ BLACK shorts, instead of their traditional red on white pants. i've seen everton come out in ALL blue instead of blue w/ white shorts. southampton dropped the blue home jersey w/ the yellow shorts/yellow socks (SICK combo). tottenham spurs practically wore white on white the entire year.

now i know what everyone is saying ...."most teams don't do that!" that is trueee....so perhaps what EA could do is release INDIVIDUAL COMBOS on that damn marketplace of theirs (EA Catalogue) similar to how they do the historic kits. i mean come on, who can tell me they wouldn't love to see the manchester red on black?!? bruhhh

and yes, i am a uniform/kit freak! i loved how i could bust various oregon duck combos in ncaa football, etc etc.... that is truly missing in this game, and would be a nice refreshment.

here's PLENTY of examples:

# 15 statum71 @ 06/02/15 11:37 PM
More authentic stadiums..

# 16 wsatterwhite @ 06/03/15 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaafootball14markus
one thing that was forgotten is mix-matching uni combinations, similar to madden or the ncaa series. i cant tell you how many times i've seen EPL teams switch up colors. FOR EXAMPLE, manchester united does the red jersey w/ BLACK shorts, instead of their traditional red on white pants. i've seen everton come out in ALL blue instead of blue w/ white shorts. southampton dropped the blue home jersey w/ the yellow shorts/yellow socks (SICK combo). tottenham spurs practically wore white on white the entire year.

now i know what everyone is saying ...."most teams don't do that!" that is trueee....so perhaps what EA could do is release INDIVIDUAL COMBOS on that damn marketplace of theirs (EA Catalogue) similar to how they do the historic kits. i mean come on, who can tell me they wouldn't love to see the manchester red on black?!? bruhhh

and yes, i am a uniform/kit freak! i loved how i could bust various oregon duck combos in ncaa football, etc etc.... that is truly missing in this game, and would be a nice refreshment.
That would definitely be cool. Something else would be allowing teams to carry over previous years kits as long as the sponsors and manufacturers don't change. Like Barcelona could have kept their Senyera kit from last years game for this year (they actually did wear it this season) or next year when they wear the hoop kit they can keep this years "traditional" design as an option. But a club like Man United going from Nike to Adidas (or the sponsor change this season) wouldn't keep their old kits since its more of a major change.

# 17 PPerfect_CJ @ 06/03/15 09:42 AM
Even being able to mix and match shirts, shorts, and socks would be helpful.

# 18 flyersdawgs05 @ 06/03/15 10:24 PM
I would love to see managers having more of an effect on player career mode. I like the idea of inputing a more generic position initially (maybe just D, MF, or F) and let the manager decide after the first few games or so what position he wants you to play, with the strategies that go along with that position. While the free-flowing style of the mode is fun, I would like to see more strategy and direction coming from the manager.

# 19 bukktown @ 06/04/15 12:24 AM
The only thing that makes me lose my interest every year is when I see the CPU dribble in circles as their main form of attack. I can make it through about 100 games before it becomes unbearable.

# 20 zerocc1990 @ 06/04/15 02:55 AM
I think an Under 21 team would go a long way with Career Mode.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.