Home

APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised!

This is a discussion on APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #89
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I understand the logic, but it really doesn't count for much when it comes to game sites reviewing a game based on current expectations for next-gen games. APF excels in one department, and it falls short in two or three others. That's what reviewers see and what they base their reviews on. And truth is, if I'm paying $80 (with tax) for a game, I expect a whole game, not a half of one, regardless of whether it's a 2K game or an EA game.
Agreed. I love the game on the field. But imo, a $60 price tag is not waranted, and was a poor idea.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #90
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

BTW, IGN just gave the 360 version an 8.7 and the PS3 version a 7.7.. Still not seeing the obvious bias.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #91
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Yeah don't see it that way. And if DB play is an issue, then 2k5 is just as guilty. 2k5 is held as a classic, for many reasons. Not all of them are due to the greatness of the game.

I think 2k fans such as yourself forget about some of the issues 2k5 suffered.
I can tell you the majority of everything that was wrong with 2k5 (I still play it). When 2k fans speak, people jump to the irrational conclusion that we are saying that 2k games are perfect and madden games are not. No, that is not the case, I know 2k games are not perfect, no video game is perfect, my only contention is that what madden and 2k set out to do, and that is to provide video gamers with a rendition of the nfl that they see on tv, 2k does it better and has done it better or just as good (before 2k5) since the beginning, they just don't get the acknowledgment by the main stream video game reviewers. Heck, they practically had to give 2k5 away just so maddenites would even look at it! Once they did look, some of them got the picture, that is when and why ea pulled the plug.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #92
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Is franchise mode half a game? Or is it franchise and minigames are half the game... I get confused.
Franchise mode; player editing; User defined CPU rosters; User defined CPU playbooks; User defined season set-up; co-op mode in season play; alternate uniforms... Those are just off the top of my head, and none of which are in APF.

Last edited by baa7; 08-13-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #93
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
I can tell you the majority of everything that was wrong with 2k5 (I still play it). When 2k fans speak, people jump to the irrational conclusion that we are saying that 2k games are perfect and madden games are not. No, that is not the case, I know 2k games are not perfect, no video game is perfect, my only contention is that what madden and 2k set out to do, and that is to provide video gamers with a rendition of the nfl that they see on tv, 2k does it better and has done it better or just as good (before 2k5) since the beginning, they just don't get the acknowledgment by the main stream video game reviewers. Heck, they practically had to give 2k5 away just so maddenites would even look at it! Once they did look, some of them got the picture, that is when and why ea pulled the plug.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder For every 2k fan at the time there were plenty of people who still preferred Madden. Or people like me that played both.

As far as why EA pulled the plug. Again, how is the NFL not held accountable. the NFL pushes exclusive licensing like no other corporation. Nor am I sure how worried EA was about sales. The PS2 version of Madden alone outsold every version of 2k5 combined. Even at the lower price point, and the earlier release date.

From the IGN review:

Closing Comments
Madden NFL 08 is a great game. It's certainly the best Madden since the 2005 edition and a worthy offering for the new generation of gaming. The new animation system is outstanding and the game itself plays wonderfully. Madden succeeds where it matters most: The gameplay. Now Tiburon just needs to bolster the surrounding aspects and it could have a true classic on its hands in the near future. The presentation needs a serious kick in the ***. Let this be the last year with a radio broadcast play-by-play. It's embarrassing to listen to this homer calling (and miscalling) plays. Madden 08 is not the best football game ever made, but it is one of the better iterations in the franchise. It's certainly the best Xbox 360 football game to date.

Don't see how that is so far out there.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #94
Banned

Quote:
Same as you, Gut feeling, not really based on anything factual. Just a feeling I had.
Cool, then you understand what I am saying. Well, my gut still has that feeling. My gut is like my corns, they always act up when there is rain in the air, my gut always acts up when I read some of those ridiculous reviews. If your gut has somewhat settled on the issue, I can respect that.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #95
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Cool, then you understand what I am saying. Well, my gut still has that feeling. If yours has somewhat settled, I can respect that.
I wouldn't say my gut settled as much as I looked beyond all the rhetoric out on the forums and gaming sites, and looked at the facts. They just don't support the notion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #96
Banned

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder For every 2k fan at the time there were plenty of people who still preferred Madden. Or people like me that played both.

As far as why EA pulled the plug. Again, how is the NFL not held accountable. the NFL pushes exclusive licensing like no other corporation. Nor am I sure how worried EA was about sales. The PS2 version of Madden alone outsold every version of 2k5 combined. Even at the lower price point, and the earlier release date.

From the IGN review:

Closing Comments
Madden NFL 08 is a great game. It's certainly the best Madden since the 2005 edition and a worthy offering for the new generation of gaming. The new animation system is outstanding and the game itself plays wonderfully. Madden succeeds where it matters most: The gameplay. Now Tiburon just needs to bolster the surrounding aspects and it could have a true classic on its hands in the near future. The presentation needs a serious kick in the ***. Let this be the last year with a radio broadcast play-by-play. It's embarrassing to listen to this homer calling (and miscalling) plays. Madden 08 is not the best football game ever made, but it is one of the better iterations in the franchise. It's certainly the best Xbox 360 football game to date.

Don't see how that is so far out there.
I do, the reviewer himself states what some of us are stating and that is that "madden succeeds where it matters most: The gameplay." If that is what matters the most, then there is no way this years maddeno8 outshines APF in the gameplay department, that would be an untrue statement in my opinion. What did the reviewer give maddens game play? What did he give APF?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »