Home

So, OSU is going to lose some Team Prestige, right?

This is a discussion on So, OSU is going to lose some Team Prestige, right? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #41
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: So, OSU is going to lose some Team Prestige, right?

I think with all of this commotion with OSU and USC dealing with suspensions and sanctions, why not bring back the player/team discipline feature into the game from the PS2 era? Give users the option to do things against the NCAA rules but if you get caught, you could lose scholarships, get players suspended, miss out on bowl game berths, etc. I would love to see it in the game, but it will most likely not be implemented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #42
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
Urban Meyer to the Buckeyes in 2012?

Shut Up and Show Me!
Nah, I'd think OSU would want to avoid numerous player arrests in light of recent events. Besides Meyer wants to stay near his family and watch his kids volleyball games. No time for coaching because family first and ...what's that?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
Nah, I'd think OSU would want to avoid numerous player arrests in light of recent events. Besides Meyer wants to stay near his family and watch his kids volleyball games. No time for coaching because family first and ...what's that?
Meyer did something about all of the arrests. Meyer lives in Ohio now too.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 AM   #44
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't know about Program Prestige, but for Fan Base they definitely get an A+, and that's just looking at the support they receive from their local tattoo parlors and car dealerships.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

In order for program prestige to drop, it should take several years of below 6* caliber ball (which I hope this is what the game does). Just like to become a 6* school, you better have several years in a row of 10,11,12+ win seasons, BCS bowl games and wins, that kind of thing. If OSU is averaging 8 or 9 wins the next few seasons, then yes, I think it might be worth a drop, but they haven't even played on the field yet. They probably won't even drop off this year because of the ridiculous decision to suspend everyone for the first 5 games. Oh wow, so they don't have to play against the MAC and Colorado. @ Miami and vs. MSU are reasonable, but suspensions should be for conference games, the ones that count. That would put a dent in your record real quick. You could a backup at every position and they'd probably still start at least 3-2. Losing just 5 guys is 4-1, maybe even 5-0. Such a punishment, starting 5-0 and getting to rest some guys an extra month.

A year or two from now, it may be a different story depending on what happens. It's going to be bad no matter what people think. Tressel leaving is not going to help much because a lot of these problems are connected to OSU. Some of them were happening before Tressel ever got there. He just chose to look the other way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #46
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwforAUTigers
From what I've learned all the coaches (including prestige ratings) are completely randomized, or at least they hinted that some where I think. Not 100% sure though.
thats not true. only the appearances and names are randomized. coach ratings are not
Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 AM   #47
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain32
I think with all of this commotion with OSU and USC dealing with suspensions and sanctions, why not bring back the player/team discipline feature into the game from the PS2 era? Give users the option to do things against the NCAA rules but if you get caught, you could lose scholarships, get players suspended, miss out on bowl game berths, etc. I would love to see it in the game, but it will most likely not be implemented.
the NCAA would have to allow it.
How many times does we have to go over this? There's a reason why there is no playoff system option in the game. The NCAA wont allow it. Same with that. They made EA pull that feature.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #48
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

Nebraska earned their way into not having a case for 6* when they had that what just happened to us loss against Washington.

OSU should still be a 6*

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...les_violations

There is a table list at the end of the article regarding violations between 2001-2010 that were actually found out.

Honestly, it seems like every top programs all around the country have had some sort of problem. My argument being unless you plan on dropping a school's prestige every time they had a major violation then you should just keep the current system.

Oregon has some smoke apparently
USC got hammered
Ohio State will get hammered
Auburn has a small fire nobody wants to pay attention to
Connecticut got punished
North Carolina's season was ruined
and it goes on and on

NCAA violations in my mind are often so min-numbingly silly that I often don't feel they should happen in the first place. A prime example being the Oklahoma State receiver(Dez Bryant?) losing his senior season over lunch. I could care less if he lied about it because some NCAA investigator scared the crap out of him by not explaining things properly causing him to lie.

Telling 18-22 year olds not to take free stuff and then punishing the schools when they do is misplaced justice. These same 18-22 year olds know that all they have to do is make it past college and the NCAA can't touch them. Generally the NCAA doesn't even find out unless some curious local reporter finds their next big break.

Honestly, I feel an NFL developmental league that can take kids straight out of high school has been long overdue especially for the kids that get thrown under the bus because they don't have the grades for college but may have the talent for football. Let the kids who want to follow the rules, graduate, and play for a college while taking meaningful classes do so. I am so tired of watching an endless procession of schools get in trouble over "student-athletes" who wouldn't even be in college if there was a viable alternative to a college system that isn't meant for everyone. I could care less if it hurts the quality of the college game since it might actually get back some of that amateurism everybody seems so fond of.

I'm sorry but when some college teams have been consistently drawing more fans than NFL teams then I really feel amateurism went out the window a long time ago. Let the bigger university athletic departments pay their players, and throw the majority of the NCAA rule book out the window. If the smaller schools can't compete, and can't even make a profit then what the heck are they doing spending that much on football teams to play at the FBS level to begin with.

I could care less if these kids get free stuff either if other people want to give them free stuff. I haven't heard of anybody losing an academic scholarship for accepting a free tat because it violates scholastic amateurism. Honestly, I respect sweater vest now more than ever before because he essentially told the NCAA to stuff it with their ridiculous rules, and went out of his way to protect the people in the NCAA system who matter most...the players. The same players who are now most likely going to be robbed of what otherwise might have been fantastic seasons over tattoo's and car deals that have been declared illegal by some over-reaching entity that is trying to control who these athletes talk to, party with, live with, work with, and study with. Goodness, I bet the NCAA is 2 years away from implanting chips into athletes so that university compliance departments can keep tabs on everything they do and say.

Universities compete for good students with academic scholarships, and then expect them to be reasonable and get good grades.
I would expect athletic scholarships to be given to good athletes with the expectations that they get passing grades and give a good athletic performance of themselves.

Instead we get an endless series of rules and regulations designed around controlling every aspect of life. Honestly, even if all the boosters for all the different schools lined up and competed over athletes with different benefits I am willing to bet the athletes would still be reasonably distributed among the various schools as long as roster limitations and transfer rules were kept in effect. (reasonably being described as similar to what we see now which is Alabama sitting on a roster of 4 and 5 star recruits, and Eastern Michigan scraping the bottom of the barrel.)

Last edited by UniversityofArizona; 05-31-2011 at 07:13 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »