Home

NHL 13 Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Gameplay Video within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #57
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NHL 13 Gameplay Video

I think the pass accuracy discrepancy between players is more so a point. And not that I want to see continual bobbling, but maybe it's more of a graphic want to have the puck hit the stick and maybe settle at different rates, if that's at all possible.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I think the pass accuracy discrepancy between players is more so a point. And not that I want to see continual bobbling, but maybe it's more of a graphic want to have the puck hit the stick and maybe settle at different rates, if that's at all possible.
This I totally agree with Flyboy. I wouldn't complain seeing that at all, I still feel if the pass reception slider works properly and the physics are where they need to be, we'd prolly see a few more missed sloppy passes. Or the occasional hot pass hoping a stick or what not.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
This I totally agree with Flyboy. I wouldn't complain seeing that at all, I still feel if the pass reception slider works properly and the physics are where they need to be, we'd prolly see a few more missed sloppy passes. Or the occasional hot pass hoping a stick or what not.
Honestly the pass reception is the key to separating the great passers from the good from the bad. Hockey players rarely flat out miss a pass to a player. They may give it to them too hard, or just behind them, or off the skate, etc, but they usually don't flat out miss them.

So if you get the pass reception to work properly you'd see the difference between passers. Crosby would be able to give players a pass right on their stick at the right tempo, whereas a lesser passer may put it too hard and out in front, causing the puck to skip away a few feet off the players stick, etc. Pass reception is the key.

The other issue is that vision plays a huge role in separating players, and that is a lot harder to simulate in a video game. Certain players simply see the ice better, they know where their teammate is going to be and they can anticipate the play and make a pass a lesser skilled player wouldn't even think to make. Or a less skilled player may make a bad decision that a good player rarely makes and try to force the puck somewhere they shouldn't.

For the user controlled team, this aspect is immediately negated since you control every player when they have the puck. And for the AI team, I imagine it is hard to program logic like that (we all know the difficulties in programming AI to begin with). So in that regard, a huge part of a players passing skill is already very hard, if not impossible, to differentiate in a video game.

Which really leaves pass reception as the most important factor in differentiating passers.

Last edited by AllJuicedUp; 06-16-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepockn
lol i didn't think it looked to bad, however I found the cut scenes to be really choppy. Almost like NHL 2k10 had back in the day. Hopefully they can make a smoother transition.

Do people not get the term 'Alpha build'. There's a reason for it being choppy right now...

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features. These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback. Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #61
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Sliders, pass reception. You know its funny to me, guys that rant and rave about sim hockey never mention NHL2k10's CPU AI and teammate AI's inability to even break out of the zone properly or the AI's inability to even know what positioning is, playing NHL2k10 is like being on the ice with a buzzing bee hive with guys just all over the place and sluggish skating + controls. That's fine apparently, but it's perfectly alright to bash a beta build 3+ months out with two casual guys playing it with untouched sliders.
pass accuracy slider ALWAYS on zero
pass reception slider ALWAYS on zero

2k10 has its issues but as a whole it plays much more realistic than any ea game imo. especially with sliders and the 360 patch. you played 2k10 on the ps3 and unpatched the game had a lot of problems which were remedied by the patch. so your opinion on 2k10 isnt accurate for the majority of people who still play it.

you act as if sliders work so great in ea nhl games. with pass accuracy on zero the cpu still completes 90 percent of its passes even when the cpu is an AHL team.sliders do very little for pass accuracy because the lowest slider still yields 5 gretzkys and adam oates (goalie) .

the concerns in this thread are valid whether yyou like it or not. nhl 08 until nhl 12 had ping pong and overaccurate passes. with the video it showed the same EXACT thing. Maybe if we voice out these concerns they will listen and make it very hard for arron asham dan carcillo jody shelley to complete no look behind the back passes that they have been able to perform AT WILL on ea nhl. i hope they do fix it because if they dont the game is not worth playing for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by phillyfan23; 06-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #62
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJuicedUp
Honestly the pass reception is the key to separating the great passers from the good from the bad. Hockey players rarely flat out miss a pass to a player. They may give it to them too hard, or just behind them, or off the skate, etc, but they usually don't flat out miss them.

I disagree with this.....there are quite a bit of missed passes in the nhl. the pass reception slider is a great way to differentiate players....but there are passes that miss everybody and it happens quite a bit ESPECIALLY if you are not crosby malkin. hell even those guys miss their passes sometimes completely. this aspect should also be used to differentiate players.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
pass accuracy slider ALWAYS on zero
pass reception slider ALWAYS on zero

2k10 has its issues but as a whole it plays much more realistic than any ea game imo. especially with sliders and the 360 patch. you played 2k10 on the ps3 and unpatched the game had a lot of problems which were remedied by the patch. so your opinion on 2k10 isnt accurate for the majority of people who still play it.

you act as if sliders work so great in ea nhl games. with pass accuracy on zero the cpu still completes 90 percent of its passes even when the cpu is an AHL team.sliders do very little for pass accuracy because the lowest slider still yields 5 gretzkys and adam oates (goalie) .

the concerns in this thread are valid whether yyou like it or not. nhl 08 until nhl 12 had ping pong and overaccurate passes. with the video it showed the same EXACT thing. Maybe if we voice out these concerns they will listen and make it very hard for arron asham dan carcillo jody shelley to complete no look behind the back passes that they have been able to perform AT WILL on ea nhl. i hope they do fix it because if they dont the game is not worth playing for me.

So they (EA) bump up the effect the reception and accuracy slider has then, end of problem. If the biggest issue people have is pass accuracy then I think we're in good hands.

Then again while I do agree passes on the whole are a bit more accurate than I'd like, I also realize not only is hockey the hardest sport to replicate but my AI aren't a bunch of morons. 2k10 at least on the PS3 is a pos when it comes to realism, you're right however, I haven't played the patched 360 version with all of Fiddy's roster tweaks. That being said however, the breakout AI and AI in general when it comes to things like line changes and the like is hardcoded, no amount of slider tweaks fixes that, god knows I've tried. And that's not mentioning the terribul /barkley controls.

If you're alright making those kinds of sacrifices to have more missed passes, good on you. But please don't preach to me about NHL2k10 being a realistic game, if nothing else, at least the PS3 sku, its even more acadey than NHL12.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 0

You know what would be really brilliant marketing. Tuning the game, when you know the vast majority of journalists playing it are going to be pretty awful, so that they miss passes and the gameplay is ultra slow.

There is no doubt in my mind that the game is tuned to arcade levels. The fact is, all the great hockey games of the past were arcade casual, and they were a blast to play. It's what got me into hockey. Eventually I craved more realism, but it is always about having fun.

If this were a sports gaming con, then they would need to focus on a more sim set-up.

This doesn't mean that the game won't have tape to tape passing and and magnetic pucks. It means assuming it will be, based on this video is, extremely naive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »