Home

NHL 13 Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Gameplay Video within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: NHL 13 Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
But even if this is an "alpha" build - if the idea is smarter AI and more simulation-like hockey, wouldn't EA have at least tuned down the rocket passing & magnetized sticks just a LITTLE BIT??? If this was an NBA or College Hoops game - would passing the ball 500 mph to a guy only 4 feet away, ALWAYS catching those passes (which are always dead on center)... or an NFL or College Football game where the QB passed the ball to his RB in the flats at those same speed and distances - would this really be acceptable??? Come on, that's a joke.
As mentioned, it is only a video game after all. What I've always found a bit odd about this series though is that it's always looked and played like a video game. It certainly doesn't look like NHL hockey game. Whereas EA's FIFA team has made a big effort the past 2-3 years turning that series into a reasonable representation of the sport it's attempting to emulate.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
So, to recap this fine thread...

- if you see anything wrong with the game, point out any flaws, notice that the passing system is still the same... You're a "nitpicker", "overly fanatical", "unrealistic", "need to calm down" ... things like this. In simple terms, you're blind and ignorant, a pessimist who should leave OS & be excommunicated.

- if you defend the game, knowing that it's largely the same stuff year in and year out... You're "centered", "respected", "exhibit great patience", "supportive (though clearly NOT an EA apologist)" ... things like this. In simple terms, you're wise and noble, an optimist who should be revered.

It's funny that this turned into an EA vs. 2K debate (at times) - of which I never ever mentioned 2K for a millisecond. But even if this is an "alpha" build - if the idea is smarter AI and more simulation-like hockey, wouldn't EA have at least tuned down the rocket passing & magnetized sticks just a LITTLE BIT??? If this was an NBA or College Hoops game - would passing the ball 500 mph to a guy only 4 feet away, ALWAYS catching those passes (which are always dead on center)... or an NFL or College Football game where the QB passed the ball to his RB in the flats at those same speed and distances - would this really be acceptable??? Come on, that's a joke.
You really don't understand E3, do you? It's not for gamers. It's for journalists and retailers. 99% could care less how realistic NHL 13 is. They want to know if it is fun.

They tuned it to arcade, made it easy, and let guys that have no idea how to play have fun.

Apparently the job of o sports gaming forum is to take the video out of context and rip it for not being what we want.

I like realism in sports games. I've used your sliders for games. But I always prefer fun over realism. Always. they aren't going to make a hockey game as sloppy as you want, because that's not fun to play. that's some 13 year-old kid flaming the message boards because he can't complete a pass, the players are too slow, and his guy keeps losing balance and the puck.

Sports gaming on the PC basically died with Sierra discontinuing Front Page Sports, sim sports gaming went with it. They aren't making games for you anymore.

But the thing is, they are making really great games that are strategic, dramatic, and fun to play. Stop acting like a $60 console game is ever going to be a deep simulation.

In this case, I expect the game to be for more realistic and sim than you do. But I realize that 75% of their sales go to guys that want to have nights like we saw in Swingers. They don't care about realism at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vHbOilhpc
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #75
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim
Stop acting like a $60 console game is ever going to be a deep simulation.[/url]
I fully agree they are trying to cater it to casual customers because that's probably where most of their money is coming from, but why in the hell does NHL currently have settings called Casual, Normal, and hardcore when those options barely have any noticeable differences in them? If they are going to put those options in the game, they better make it damn noticeable that those options are substantially different. When I set the game to hardcore I still feel like the game plays as casual.

They can cater to the casuals but if you want the sim guys to stick around buying their game they better cater to them as well. Nobody ever said we needed some deep simulation game because that just isn't possible with hockey, but some of us are looking for a game where we feel like we are playing but also feel like we are seeing a replication to the sport when we watch it in real life. This game in no way shape or form looks that way or feels that way when I play it. I hate to mention The Show again but I get that feeling from The Show, hence the reason why I play it year round.

I understand the game is still in "alpha" stage or whatever the hell it's called but TBH people on here have every single right to be cautious to 100 MPH passes being caught left and right in the early videos because it's been that way for so damn long in this series. Heck they somewhat fixed it in 11 and then it was back to square 1 in 12 along with the pass reception slider not working. How does that happen? Why was it not patched?

I completely understand it's a video game and we aren't going to get 100% realism. To me though Sim=fun. I'm not a little kid anymore and have the mentality that I need to win every game for it to be fun. All I want is to see a replication of real life. I'm still patiently waiting to hear more info., see more videos, and at the very least play the demo before I completely critique it. However, in no way am I going to get pissed at guys on here for talking about stuff in the video because they have every right to since we have all basically played the same game with minor improvements each year, on a game that has needed many improvements for a long time. I'm just as skeptical as all of them. Ultimately we each have different tastes in the way we want a game to play out, not all of us are going to be happy and as it stands most of us sim guys have been left out of the party for a while now.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 06-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #76
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

I understand the need to have online set up a certain way, to appeal to the casual gamer.
What I don't like is how we can't make the passing realistic for offline.

I don't understand how they can't program it so if you make some pass where there is a good chance you would be off in real life it's half as accurate as it is now.
And then the pass reception depends on speed of the pass and positioning (passing rating).
Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #77
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Gameplay Video

quick slider fix - pass reception ease.

Quote:
HUGE ISSUE I can see already that disturbs me (outside of the magnetized puck to the stick):

Pucks are flying with laser like precision when passed and they are STICKING TO THE PLAYER'S STICK - Sorry, but this is a load of crap. The puck never bounces off a stick, even when it's rifled to a player 5 feet away from him with max power behind the pass.

If this is what EA believes to be an improvement, I'm sorry but this is an utter joke. There is NOTHING in that video that tells me things will improve. Maybe sliders can fix things - but we've been down this road before where slider tweaks for PASSING mean very little.

Not trying to be mean about this, but even you guys that love hockey would have to admit this looks really bad right now... I have no hope whatsoever after reviewing this video clip. The speed of guys flying through the offensive zone is bothersome as well... Oh well...
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #78
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
quick slider fix - pass reception ease.
It doesn't work in NHL 12. You put it to the max and it doesn't work at all. Unless I'm missing a tuner update or patch. In 11 they finally put it in the game and it worked, as did the slider for it. In 12 it suddenly didn't work. I don't really know how one year it happens and the next it doesn't.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #79
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_magic
I understand the need to have online set up a certain way, to appeal to the casual gamer.
What I don't like is how we can't make the passing realistic for offline.

I don't understand how they can't program it so if you make some pass where there is a good chance you would be off in real life it's half as accurate as it is now.
And then the pass reception depends on speed of the pass and positioning (passing rating).
Bingo.

I'm really hoping that as '13' is more finely tuned, we'll see what you described so well, Voodoo. At least on the hardcore setting off-line if nothing else. Because what you said here seems very reasonable, imo.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #80
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim
LOL.. I love that movie.. and that scene is a classic..

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »