Home

NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

This is a discussion on NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #113
Rookie

Garism's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuke
Saw this on the EA forums by a mod

Theres a dropin feature, but currently its NHL rosters only. Theyre working on trying to get it so we can have our created pros instead for launch, but it might have to be added in a patch.
Late reply, but very nice. Really hope I can play drop in with EASHL builds. Sometimes tough play together as a club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Hopefully in the not too distant future, we'll start seeing them releasing actual gameplay vids. Rather than hiding it away till the 11th hour, like last year. And maybe even consider community input. A guy can dream i suppose.
Hopefully so. I applaud them for getting the full feature list as the first thing, along with what gamemodes are in. If it wasn't announced, it probably isn't in as of now (GMC and shootout).
Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 AM   #114
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey87
Eventhough I usually agree with pretty much everything You have written on this forum about the game, now I have to disagree.

Name is just one field on the database table, and it has nothing to do with simming or stats or anything else for that matter. It is really just a field on the table, and data on that field gets printed to screen, that's all. Every player has an ID, and all other data (name, attributes, gear...) is linked to that unique ID.

"game doesn't know how to react" can't happen by editing player attributes. That would mean that there's not any random factors in the game, and that is not the case I believe. Just by simming two games (cpu vs cpu), You can see that there is some random factors in the game, since the result or the whole gameplay of the second game will not be identical with the previous one. It might be true, that by editing attributes (if we assume that these really have an impact on the game this year) the game can be altered to be something, that EA does not want it to be.

As I have stated above, editing rosters (players) can't damage or break the game. There is already boundaries for the values being used for attributes and all the other things. "They" are not doing it to spite us, but excluding this feature from the game has been done for some other reason than to protect their customers from breaking their game. That I can be 100% sure of.

Again, I disagree with this.
I'm not questioning you and I know what you are saying. I guess I should say that by "breaking" the game I mean it might not crash or freeze as much as it starts to play really wonky with certain edits. And by that I mean you start seeing things that they devs wish that you wouldn't when playing the on-ice product. Things that are ugly (uglier than the normal game play, if that is even possible) or things that just don't make the game look like it is representing the sport of hockey.

But I am not angry for your disagreeing with me. I spent a lot of time in NHL View back in the early 2000's lol and that is about the extent I have with programming, so by no means am I an expert on the matter.

As for the other people wondering why EA doesn't just answer the question; that has seemed to be this team's style when dealing with the public, so it is nothing new, unfortunately. They would rather say nothing than to admit failure or shortcomings within their product. Which is why a lot of us have been rubbed the wrong way for so long. When we see other development teams being forthcoming and honest in a timely fashion we kind of tend to raise an eyebrow to anything less anymore. Perhaps we are spoiled, or perhaps the other teams just a have a better grasp on the market and us as consumers.

At this point nothing would shock me anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out and blamed the NHLPA for not allowing us edit players anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they blamed lack of time to complete the feature. But I would be surprised if they addressed this anytime before August. Then they would probably come out and say what they said last year, we ran out of time before we could get it back in but it is high on our list and will return "soon". And then never provide a definition as to what "soon" means to them.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 AM   #115
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
But I am not angry for your disagreeing with me. I spent a lot of time in NHL View back in the early 2000's lol and that is about the extent I have with programming, so by no means am I an expert on the matter.
Oh, I did wrote a program for myself to edit NHL 95 databases
It was way easier back then though. I'm glad that other much more skilled programmers have been able to create programs for editing these more recent roster files, since it's too difficult for myself.

I'm not angry either. If I appear to be, it's just that language barrier...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #116
Rookie

OVR: 0

Simple question, was it fun to play ?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #117
MVP

Nickflyers's Arena

OVR: 16

How was the crowd atmosphere? That's was a big gripe of mine for the 15 game. They'd cheer like crazy after goals and fights, but come the next faceoff it'd be dead quiet. Even during gameplay, big hits, close chances, etc. didn't get much of a reaction

Twitch

YouTube Channel
Old 05-22-2015, 03:39 AM   #118
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
As for the other people wondering why EA doesn't just answer the question; that has seemed to be this team's style when dealing with the public, so it is nothing new, unfortunately. They would rather say nothing than to admit failure or shortcomings within their product. Which is why a lot of us have been rubbed the wrong way for so long. When we see other development teams being forthcoming and honest in a timely fashion we kind of tend to raise an eyebrow to anything less anymore. Perhaps we are spoiled, or perhaps the other teams just a have a better grasp on the market and us as consumers.

At this point nothing would shock me anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out and blamed the NHLPA for not allowing us edit players anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they blamed lack of time to complete the feature. But I would be surprised if they addressed this anytime before August. Then they would probably come out and say what they said last year, we ran out of time before we could get it back in but it is high on our list and will return "soon". And then never provide a definition as to what "soon" means to them.
Again, i agree! Seems like THATS THE EA WAY and i hate it!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #119
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
There will always be cheese goals.
not really in the EASHL... I have been playing in the EASHL off and on since it started in 09 and the greatest thing of all with this mode is when you play 6 v 6 there NO such thing as a cheese goal. A human goalie will stop a stupid cheese goal EVERY time. In fact the people who try to cheese goal non stop in EASHL are the easiest and most predictable ones to beat when you have a team of 6 going against them.. they literally have no chance against you. If someone can beat you by cheesing in the EASHL it's usually because you are not playing with 6 or not that good yet.. I see what those are saying about about maxing your attributes for a player that has 99% accuracy.. pinpoint passing and checks like a maniac etc. I just hope they have several different goalie builds to choose from. It would be horrible to be stuck just with one for goalie. Hopefully they have butterfly, standup, and hybrid builds

the good things about the new EASHL is you don't have to pay for boost and play so many games to get Legend now. There is a part of me that will for sure indeed miss editing my builds trying to find the best build but there is also a part of me that likes the new out of box style of EASHL to where everyone is on the same level playing field. To be honest it's going to be like when the game first comes out in the EASHL year round now and for me the best part of the EASHL always at the beginning when released.. that first month or 2 before everyone was maxed out as legends already imo. For me I'm open to the new EASHL way and I'm just glad it's back. I'm older now so I also like the fact you don't have to play so many games to level up to max attributes as well. Now all I have to do is sell my Xbone and get PS4 before NHL comes out because all people I wanna play club with and friends in person have PS4.. ugh.

Last edited by steveeee; 05-22-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #120
Rookie

OVR: 0

Sorry guys, some real life stuff has come up. Might take a few more days to get back to everyone.

One common question I saw while quickly scrolling through posts was about the overalls.
We were told that player builds were aimed to be "second to third line type players in terms of overall". This is so one player can't carry a team and decide to spin/deke/dance around the opposing team all game. It emphasizes the importance of teamwork in EASHL. If everyone was a first line type player, it would allow players to try to do it all themselves, which takes away from the teamwork aspect of the game mode.

Speaking from personal experience, I'd consider it a 2nd line build that I played. The builds were not horrible. I'm a dman, so I tested the DFD, TWD and OFD. Each had their pros/cons but because every other position has a similar overall, I couldn't notice if I was sluggish or slower than normal. I'm sure if you go from playing with boosted 99 overall HUT players to an EASHL game it could seem like a big change.

Please keep in mind that the AskEA webpage is there. They recently answered a lot more questions and hope to use this page to communicate answers to important questions / FAQ.
Link : https://www.easports.com/nhl/ask

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »