Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #8009
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Catching Fire
This was a big improvement for me over The Hunger Games film. The increased budget really helped the film here, as the sets, costumes and the Arena all more accurately portrayed the images from the book.

Jennifer Lawrence's performance made the film. She has a keen ability to convey emotion with facial expressions and looks, and man, when it comes to those moments where she has to get emotional, you really feel for her character. Great stuff.

Woody Harrelson is a perfect Haymitch. Owns that character and commands every scene he is in.

The Peeta character was modified again from the book, but I didn't mind the alterations too much. The rest of the supporting characters were all solid, although I would've liked Beetee to have had more screen time.

Again, a marked improvement from the first film adaptation. This was my favorite of the three books, so I'm glad the film rose up to that level.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #8010
MVP

Cutter15's Arena

OVR: 8

Run Ronnie Run

First saw this movie around 2006 and it instantly became one of my favorites. It's hilarious from start to finish and still makes me laugh after about the 10th viewing. David Cross, Bob Odenkirk and David Koechner are awesome and Jack Black's little cameo gets me every time. I suspect many of you may have not heard of this movie so I thought I would share it. Enjoy.
Kyle Busch #18
Atlanta Braves
Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Twitter
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #8011
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Evil Dead (2013)

I never saw the original by Sam Raimi, so I can't make any comparisons of any sort. I think I knew what to expect of the film's plot but wasn't sure. I know Raimi can fall into the "campy" camp so for this remake to have a super serious tone probably throws off what most people enjoyed about the original as is.
You should correct that asap. The original is can be pretty serious, but I can see how it can construed as "camp" given the low-cost of production. The tree scene kind of freaks me out still.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #8012
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
You should correct that asap. The original is can be pretty serious, but I can see how it can construed as "camp" given the low-cost of production. The tree scene kind of freaks me out still.
I didn't mean to say that "campy" meant "silly" or "not serious." However, I did not make enough separations myself especially since I have not seen the original.

My real point was that there are many who are in a massive uproar against the remake after having seen both of them, and I couldn't help but think of the reasons either being that it was too identical or that it was not identical enough, not just because it was a remake. The quick impressions that I saw simply admired Raimi's work over Alvarez's, and since Alvarez's tone in his film can't be though of as anything else other than brooding, I made a quick shot in the dark that Raimi allowed for some campiness in his version.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I wonder if it's really just one of those things like "If this film was released twenty years ago it would have been great, but since then everything else has been released" kinds of things, like Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead is more of a classic than it is an actual good movie which holds up comparatively to today's standards (as in, if it was released today it would still be as enjoyed as it was then). I shall take no biases into my impressions, though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #8013
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I really only heard those complaints once the film was announced and prior to its release. Once it was released I was under the impression it was a pretty favorable remake from impressions. I think most of it stemmed from the fact that the original is a (cult) classic and is untouchable.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #8014
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I really only heard those complaints once the film was announced and prior to its release. Once it was released I was under the impression it was a pretty favorable remake from impressions. I think most of it stemmed from the fact that the original is a (cult) classic and is untouchable.
I expected that from the pre-release crowd, but never read up anything on this movie until its release. Post-release people are still saying it's bad, but I think that's where they're showing how biased they really are.

I guess you're right in that the vocal majority does not represent the overall majority opinion. To receive a 6.5 on IMDb is nothing to wince at for a remake, especially since I didn't find it particularly enjoyable the whole way through, though I thought the production itself was pretty well done (with the hiccup of how they went about one part I mentioned earlier).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #8015
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness both have quite a bit of humor to them, but the first one is actually pretty violent and gory

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #8016
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Anchorman II

It was alright. Definitely not as golden as the first one, as it all kinda gets old after awhile. Did I like it? Yes. However..

Spoiler

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »