Home

Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football!

This is a discussion on Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football! within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #129
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football!

Stars Emerge For Rivalry Win, But Questions Linger

Lobos Sports Writer, Dylan Mack
Las Crices, NM -

This year's version of the Rio Grande Rivalry, between New Mexico and New Mexico State, was one for the record books, as both teams combined for 91 points and over 1,000 yards of offense. The visiting Lobos made it three-straight wins in the series, with a 49-42 win in Las Cruces, but it was hardly pretty. In fact, Lobos Head Coach, Joe Gould, was furious with the performance of both the offense and defense.

"Our wideouts couldn't catch. How can you be a D-1 wideout and not be able to catch the damn ball!", Gould shouted. "Our QB throws pick after pick, and while our defense made plays when they had to, they gave up 42 damn points!"

Gould wasn't lying, as the turnover bug bit Quarterback, John Williams, again, as he threw 4 interceptions and had a fumble as well. Williams, however, did set a new career high with passing yards in a game, tossing for 389 yards, two weeks after setting a personal best with 371 yards through the air.

It also did not help that through the first half, the Lobos had five dropped passes, a couple coming in critical spots.

"It's just ridiculous. You're here to catch the ball, so catch the damn ball!" Gould shouted as he left the podium.

While the Lobos offense did explode, with some of their best numbers in two seasons, including career highs for Running Back, Keith Wallace, who rushed for 131 yards and 3 TDs, and 137 yards receiving for Wide Receiver, Adam Pruitt, adding two TDs himself, the turnovers by Williams and the numerous drops were troubling. Factor in the defenses woeful performance, surrendering 42 points, and you can see why Gould is upset.

It should be noted that 7 of those 42 points came off a 71-yard Pick Six by Aggies defender, Kris Johnson, and Williams' fumble came on the Lobos side of the field, giving the Aggies great starting position.

Initially, it looked like the Lobos were running on all cylinders. The defense took the field first, surrendering a first down before forcing the Aggies to punt. Wallace's first touch would go for 23 yards on an option to the left. Then Freshman Fullback, Andy Owens, filling in for the injured Billy Fields, would rumble up the middle on an option, collecting a huge chunk of yards himself. The Lobos would face a 4th down, but on the Aggies' side of the field, converting it without much effort. Soon after, Wallace is sampering in for his first TD of the season.

The Aggies, however, would respond with a 12-play drive, capped off with a TD run by Atari Griffin. Theensuing drive saw Williams get sacked, fumbling the ball away. It was scooped up and ran in for a TD, however, a penalty brought the ball back out, but still in the hands of the Aggies. Griffin would end the short drive with a 2-yard TD.

On the next drive, the Lobos moved down the field, finding great success with their option run, picking up huge chunks of yardage per carry. But then Williams would drop back to pass, dump it to the flat for his safety valve, Wallace, who would be out-muscled for the ball by Aggies defender, Kris Johnson, who would sprint 71-yards for the pick six.

Suddenly down 21-7 to their rival, and already having 2 turnovers early in the game, the Lobos sideline looked dejected. However, the Lobos would fight back, with their next drive ending in the endzone from a 4-yard run by Owens, his first TD of the season and of his career.

On the next drive for the Aggies, they'd face a third and long, when Senior Linebacker, Josh Williams, collapsed on the pocket, taking Aggies QB, Marcus Allen, down with him. The sack, forcing the Aggies to punt, ignited the Lobos crowd.

Williams would led the Lobos down the field, finally finding Cliff Hagen on a slant, and a TD from 21 yards out. The extra point by Richard Mason, knotted the game up at 21, with only a minute left in the half. The Lobos defense would cave, however, allowing the Aggies to march down the field, scoring a TD pass from Allen to Max Wright from 30 yards out, as time expired. The Lobos were down 28-21 as the teams went to their locker rooms.

While the Lobos had 5 first half dropped passes, the rushing attack was doing extraordinary, with Wallace having 77 yards and Owens tacking on another 42. "This was the kind of results we had been looking for when we first implemented this offense, and when Wallace became our starter", Offensive Coordinator, Zach Moore, said following the game.

The Lobos took the second-half kick and produced a scoring drive, with Wallace running it in for the second time. The ensuing drive by the Aggies would be halted, as Allen would be sacked on a third down play again. The Lobos would receive the punt, and once again produce points, this time with a 5-yard TD pass to Pruitt. The score was now 35-28 in favor of New Mexico.

The next possession for the Aggies would go three and out, and suddenly it felt like the Lobos were going to own the second half and walk away with it. But then, Williams would throw an interception, this one being picked off by Aggies Cornerback, Dan Lawson. It took little time to make the Lobos pay for that mistake, as Allen found Marco Baker for a 11-yard TD pass. The extra point would miss, leaving the Aggies down by one.

The Lobos would drive, yet again, capping off the march down the field with a 1-yard TD run by Wallace, his third of the game. The Aggies would punt on their next drive, but then Williams would throw yet another interception, this time in the endzone, killing any opportunity the Lobos had at getting points.

However, the Lobos defense would stand tall again, forcing the Aggies into a three and out. Nursing a 42-34 lead, the Lobos would make one final drive, scoring on a 23-yard pass from Williams to Pruitt, his second TD reception of the day.

The Aggies weren't done, however, as they would make one final push down the field, scoring on a 5-yard pass from Allen to Griffin. The Aggies would go for 2 points and convert, making the final 49-42.

"While the offensive explosion we saw tonighht was great, and we saw some real stars emerge for us, like Pruitt, Wallace and even Owens, our inability to take care of the football is going to cost us games down the line, if we don't clean it up", Coach Moore said. "Five turnovers to none. Five to none...that's just a horrendous stat. We're lucky to have won that game", Coach Moore added as he shook his head.

Some positives can be taken from this game: the Lobos won despite the disparity in turnovers, and their running game finally clicked the way it was hoped to. Williams also threw for another career high, while Pruitt made it two-straight games with 100+ yards receiving. "We're not wanting to throw the ball that much. It's not how we practice and it's not our expectations, but it's nice to know that we have some weapons out there when we need them," Moore later added.

As long as they catch the ball.

PNM Resources

Presents the Players of the Game

New Mexico Lobos at New Mexico State Aggies
Sep 20, 20141ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
New Mexico Lobos (2-1)714141449
New Mexico State Aggies (0-3)14146842
Team Stats Comparison
UNMNMSU
Total Offense688330
Rushing Yards29963
Passing Yards389267
First Downs3316
Punt Return Yards41--
Kick Return Yards10459
Total Yards833389
Turnovers40
3rd Down Conversion6/78/17
4th Down Conversion1/12/2
2-Point Conversion--1/1
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals7-5-06-4-0
Penalties4-273-30
Possession Time21:2011:53
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGUNMNMSU
(UNM) 1-Yard TD run by Wallace70
(NMSU) 4-yard TD run by Griffin77
(NMSU) 2-yard TD run by Griffin714
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGUNMNMSU
(NMSU) Pick Six by Johnson for 71 yards721
(UNM) 1-yard TD run by Owens1421
(UNM) 21-yard TD pass from Williams to Hagen2121
(NMSU) 30-yard TD pass from Allen to Wright2128
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGUNMNMSU
(UNM) 2-yard TD run by Wallace2828
(UNM) 5-yard TD pass from Williams to Pruitt3528
(NMSU) 11-yard TD pass from Allen to Baker (PAT failed)3534
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGUNMNMSU
(UNM) 1-yard TD run by Wallace4234
(UNM) 23-yard TD pass from Williams to Pruitt4934
(NMSU) 5-yard TD pass from Allen to Griffin (2-pt conversion is good)4942
New Mexico Lobos
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
John Williams25/3738934
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Keith Wallace141319.33
Andy Owens11706.31
John Williams7354.9
Alex Williams33411.3
Chris Coleman3279.0
Anthony Barrett122.0
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Adam Pruitt813717.12
Keith Wallace68514.1
Lonnie Charles37625.3
Darrell Fuller44110.2
Cliff Hagen12121.0
Cam Waller11616.0
Alex Williams2136.5
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Mark Adams 3
Edwin Hill1
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Adam Williams7
Chris Meeks6
Josh Williams41
Mike Burks4
Nathan Keller41
Brandon Britt41
Nick Britton3
Corey Perkins3
Tyler Roberson3
Wayne Scott2
Josh Miller2
Xavier Bennett2
Willie Roach 1
Sean Scott1
Jayson Brown 1
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Richard Mason7/77
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Quincy Fine--
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Chris Meeks35719.0
Darrell Fuller24723.5
Adam Pruitt100.0
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Darrell Fuller6416.8
New Mexico State Aggies
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Marcus Allen21/402673
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Atari Griffin14513.62
Marcus Allen11131.1
Clint Jackson1-4-4.0
Damon Spence133.0
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Max Wright711316.11
Atari Griffin4184.51
Cole Humphrey46917.2
Orlando Anderson34615.3
Brent Barber2105.0
Marco Baker11111.01
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Barry Kiniry31
Chris Wright 3
Alex Jenkins2
Terry Johnson11
Kris Malloy1
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Johnnie Wilson8
Stacy Newton7
Stephen Robison7
Claude Alford611
Dan Lawson52
Kris Johnson511
Cameron Woods4
Joe Cooper3
Kory Davis3
Dallas Roberts3
Douglas Browne3
Johnny Means2
Joel Wilson1
Todd Johnson1
Mark Green1
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Doug West4/54
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Todd Johnson730543.5
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
A.J. Barnes23819.0
Max Wright12121.0
Old 09-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #130
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

That's a good way to bounce back from the Week 1 shellacking. Really impressed with the win over Arizona State and getting them at the last second, then to turn around and overcome all the drops and interceptions to beat a rival is a nice momentum booster for the next part of the season. Keep it up!
Old 09-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #131
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
That's a good way to bounce back from the Week 1 shellacking. Really impressed with the win over Arizona State and getting them at the last second, then to turn around and overcome all the drops and interceptions to beat a rival is a nice momentum booster for the next part of the season. Keep it up!
Thanks, Careless. Yeah, Week 1 was horrific. In all honesty, I'd kinda given up late in the ASU game, but my defense managed to give me the ball back, so I was like, "Ok, we'll just wing it" and caught a lucky break. The rivalry game was definitely the most-frustrated I have been with the game in a loooong time. One of the drops was by Wallace on a beautiful wheel route, wide freaking open, and simply hits the kids hands, then the turf.

I gotta stop the turnovers, bad. I also may need to revamp my offensive line, as they're getting whipped with pass protection. Then again, I'm trying to target run-blockers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #132
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm sure you won't complain with the record after three games, though the manner in which you got there may be a little unsettling for you! Tough start against Arizona, but a great bounceback in a tough battle with ASU and then a ridiculous rivalry game that you managed to pull out against NMSU. You've definitely been performing well offensively, but the turnovers nearly derailed you against NMSU. I like how you've stayed in area for the non-conference games, battling with some local rivals is always a bit more exiciting!

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 09-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #133
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
I'm sure you won't complain with the record after three games, though the manner in which you got there may be a little unsettling for you! Tough start against Arizona, but a great bounceback in a tough battle with ASU and then a ridiculous rivalry game that you managed to pull out against NMSU. You've definitely been performing well offensively, but the turnovers nearly derailed you against NMSU. I like how you've stayed in area for the non-conference games, battling with some local rivals is always a bit more exiciting!
It's been ugly, that's for sure, and you're right, I'll take the 2-1 record, considering the play on the field. I was anticipating a down season, due to some lost talent and a ho-hum recruiting class.

We had a lot of turnovers last season, and Williams was actually slightly ahead in his TD to INT ratio this season, but is now even at 6 apiece. Not good. Also some misreads on the option have led to fumbles, which I knew was a risk when running that scheme, but it's been pretty brutal. The ASU win was miraculous, and the NMS game was just pitiful. That squad couldn't hold my guy's jock, yet we only won by 7.

As for the scheduling, Arizona is a rival, though they weren't scheduled for the season, so I stepped in. I'm trying to stick to what programs like New Mexico normally do, in regards to scheduling, and sticking to mostly western states for recruiting (Texas, Arizona, Utah, Cali). Not sure if you've ever noticed, but the state of New Mexico rarely has more than 10 recruits, with rarely a quality player among them.

Thanks for checking in.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #134
Rookie

Tyro11's Arena

Nice write up. Anytime you get a rivalry win it’s a little more meaningful. Anytime you win when throwing 4 picks is a blessing ha. But what a second half show you guys put on. Seemed like the defensive pressure was the best combatant to their QB’s pretty solid play. Obviously, game ball goes to your RB!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #135
Rookie

Thanks, Tyro. New Mexico State should have been an easy win, as their defense is awful, but I made some mistakes, keeping them in the game. On a side note, Arizona, who handed me my butt in Week 1, is 4-0, so that loss isn't looking as bad as I thought.

Game ball to Wallace for sure. He had a great game. Heck, anyone who tried carrying the rock did outstanding, with the lone exception being Barrett, who is actually a lineman, playing third-string fullback. If I can see more numbers like that, then this option attack can definitely bring in a lot of wins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #136
Rookie

Yo could Arizona be the real deal this year? I am glad you got past ASU and NMST but they were definitely shootouts, do you think your defense is having some internal issues? Great wins though setting you up for a good MWC season!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »