Home

M17 XP Slider Discussion

This is a discussion on M17 XP Slider Discussion within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
M17 XP Slider Discussion

Haven't seen a thread dedicated to this and feel it merits its own discussion.

I'm very curious to see how leagues are leaning. I'm philosophically of the belief that if everyone feels XP is a bit low, it's probably just right. I also believe some of the issues from M16 were problems from the narrow type of player that was generated in the draft classes and not a thing that could be fixed by XP sliders (e.g. in the case of CBs, with base sliders it was realistically impossible to develop any studs into 95 MCV guys... but if you cranked up XP sliders, there would be WAY too many 95 MCV guys). Luckily it seems as if M17 has either fixed or helped the player generation issue.

SO:

My initial thoughts are that progression feels much easier in M17. It's slightly tougher to supercharge a single player, but I'm not convinced they don't end up with more XP over the course of a single season. Meanwhile all your backups are getting XP. Huge net gain. The only position groups I'm leery of are:
  • QB: Feels like it *might* be a tad high. Then again you are giving up an entire position group to develop this one guy, so perhaps it's fine. I'm leaning toward the 90-100% range.
  • Offensive Line: WOW, the XP costs for blocking have skyrocketed exponentially. A 2nd round (IRL or actual 2nd round) Normal dev prospect *might* see a single blocking point upgraded over the course of his rookie season if you take some time to get AWR up to a respectable level first. Feels like a strong prospect coming out as an 85/81 might take a few entire seasons just to reach 87/84. Meanwhile pass rushers are not nearly as difficult to get to 90+ PMV, FMV, or BSH. So this is the main area I'm curious about pumping up the XP a lot... as in 200% and possibly even more.

One major caveat I'm concerned about with inflating OL XP is keeping in-game OL vs DL mechanics balanced. I'm making the assumption that the overall RBK & PBK league talent levels should be roughly equivalent to the overall PMV/FMV/BSH levels, but that may not necessarily be true this Madden. Perhaps the game is balanced such that 85 PBK matches up well enough with 92 PMV, for instance, and inflating XP so that 90-95 PBK is attainable for a few elite players throws things out of whack. Though I doubt that, since existing elite guys such as Joe Thomas are in the mid/high 90s in PBK & RBK.

Thoughts on XP sliders and OL progression in particular?

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Re: M17 XP Slider Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Haven't seen a thread dedicated to this and feel it merits its own discussion.

I'm very curious to see how leagues are leaning. I'm philosophically of the belief that if everyone feels XP is a bit low, it's probably just right. I also believe some of the issues from M16 were problems from the narrow type of player that was generated in the draft classes and not a thing that could be fixed by XP sliders (e.g. in the case of CBs, with base sliders it was realistically impossible to develop any studs into 95 MCV guys... but if you cranked up XP sliders, there would be WAY too many 95 MCV guys). Luckily it seems as if M17 has either fixed or helped the player generation issue.

SO:

My initial thoughts are that progression feels much easier in M17. It's slightly tougher to supercharge a single player, but I'm not convinced they don't end up with more XP over the course of a single season. Meanwhile all your backups are getting XP. Huge net gain. The only position groups I'm leery of are:
  • QB: Feels like it *might* be a tad high. Then again you are giving up an entire position group to develop this one guy, so perhaps it's fine. I'm leaning toward the 90-100% range.
  • Offensive Line: WOW, the XP costs for blocking have skyrocketed exponentially. A 2nd round (IRL or actual 2nd round) Normal dev prospect *might* see a single blocking point upgraded over the course of his rookie season if you take some time to get AWR up to a respectable level first. Feels like a strong prospect coming out as an 85/81 might take a few entire seasons just to reach 87/84. Meanwhile pass rushers are not nearly as difficult to get to 90+ PMV, FMV, or BSH. So this is the main area I'm curious about pumping up the XP a lot... as in 200% and possibly even more.

One major caveat I'm concerned about with inflating OL XP is keeping in-game OL vs DL mechanics balanced. I'm making the assumption that the overall RBK & PBK league talent levels should be roughly equivalent to the overall PMV/FMV/BSH levels, but that may not necessarily be true this Madden. Perhaps the game is balanced such that 85 PBK matches up well enough with 92 PMV, for instance, and inflating XP so that 90-95 PBK is attainable for a few elite players throws things out of whack. Though I doubt that, since existing elite guys such as Joe Thomas are in the mid/high 90s in PBK & RBK.

Thoughts on XP sliders and OL progression in particular?
Nice thread. I didn't get a chance to dive into CFM and test these before my EA Access trial bugged out but I am interested in seeing what other people think about this. It sounds like O-lineman will need an XP boost (according to progression testing), just need to figure out how much of a boost they need.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

I won't be able to really get into the game until next week, but I'm more interested in this than the gameplay sliders. Mostly because I can tweak gameplay throughout a CFM, but that XP needs to be good from the get go.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10

This is a great thread. Definitely interested to see what everyone finds once the game is released and testing has been done.
Milwaukee Bucks
Vegas Golden Knights
Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

I ran two 10 year test sims last year playing with the xp sliders to try to find some good balance. I'll start today and start running some more. I plan on doing as many as it takes to get a really good baseline. The way I do it is as follows:

-Use Preseason roster
-Set all positions to balanced in scheme to get the basic Ovr of players
-Write down how many players are 95-99,90-94,85-89, and 80-84 for each position and get a percentage
-Set XP for every 4 weeks
-Set XP Values (will start with default 100%)
-Sim 10 seasons and write down new data to compare to base data

I'll probably have my 1st sim done in a few hours or less.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
I ran two 10 year test sims last year playing with the xp sliders to try to find some good balance. I'll start today and start running some more. I plan on doing as many as it takes to get a really good baseline. The way I do it is as follows:

-Use Preseason roster
-Set all positions to balanced in scheme to get the basic Ovr of players
-Write down how many players are 95-99,90-94,85-89, and 80-84 for each position and get a percentage
-Set XP for every 4 weeks
-Set XP Values (will start with default 100%)
-Sim 10 seasons and write down new data to compare to base data

I'll probably have my 1st sim done in a few hours or less.
Fantastic. Looking forward to seeing your results.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

1st sim is in the books. I forgot how long it takes recordering the data lol. Anyways here we go:

Rules: 75 Man Preseason Roster/XP Sliders all at 100%/Progress set to Every 4 Weeks

How to read chart: Base is how many players were rated in each group and +10 Years is how many after simming 10 seasons. The % is just the % of players rated in each group to give you a visual that way. Total is the total amount of players rated 80+.

QB:100%
Spoiler

HB:100%
Spoiler

FB:100%
Spoiler

WR:100%
Spoiler

TE:100%
Spoiler

T:100%
Spoiler

G:100%
Spoiler

C:100%
Spoiler

DE:100%
Spoiler

DT:100%
Spoiler

OLB:100%
Spoiler

MLB:100%
Spoiler

CB:100%
Spoiler

FS:100%
Spoiler

SS:100%
Spoiler

K:100%
Spoiler

P:100%
Spoiler

So there you have it guys. Sim 1 in the books and I think we got some good data. My suggestions are what I'm looking for in this game and the may not coincide with yours so you don't have to agree at all lol. Just take the info and do what you want with it. But my goal is to hopefully find a really good base where we can start so all my fellow franchise guys who like to go years into theirs can have an enjoyable experience. And if all else fails at least we can edit everything (Thanks for that EA).

Last edited by tdawg3782; 08-22-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Good work! I did the same thing back in Madden 16, but went 20 years in the future to eliminate all the "real" players. Looks like Madden really improved with the QBs progression. Last year there was an overabundance of great QBs in the league at one time, something like 24 QBs with a 90 OVR or better rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »