Home

Let's put it to a vote: Do we need two game settings? (Sim vs online)

This is a discussion on Let's put it to a vote: Do we need two game settings? (Sim vs online) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you want a SIM vs ONLINE mode?
Yes, we truly need this to cater to both crowds. 139 96.53%
No, it's fine the way it is. 2 1.39%
Don't care, TL;DR 3 2.08%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #49
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Let's put it to a vote: Do we need two game settings? (Sim vs online)

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Their sim engine in some areas doesn't even match what the Commodore 64 had in the 1980's.
This line of posting ceases now. We're going to keep this thread constructive and not have any agenda posting or trolling. This is the only warning for all posters in the thread.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #50
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

What we need is an extensive and powerful tuning tool. I think as sim guys, we dig so deeply into the game anyways, building the game for competitive online play but giving us the tools to make it our own is an acceptable option.

There was no support for a better slider system when I was there, but having witnessed the arrival of the core guys on the current team, I have to believe they'd be more open too it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #51
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
What we need is an extensive and powerful tuning tool. I think as sim guys, we dig so deeply into the game anyways, building the game for competitive online play but giving us the tools to make it our own is an acceptable option.

There was no support for a better slider system when I was there, but having witnessed the arrival of the core guys on the current team, I have to believe they'd be more open too it.

I wonder if Tiburon would consider creating an interface to expose the values stored in their tuning update files to the end user to explode the amount of gameplay balancing values we had available to adjust.

Not sure to what extent these things are actually in their tuner files, but I'm imagining being able to tune gameplay balance in a bunch of detailed ways. For example, for passing alone maybe we could adjust accuracy for passes at all three accuracy levels, the proximity a defender needs to be before a quarterback "feels pressure", the accuracy penalty for "feeling pressure", the accuracy penalty for throwing off the run / off back foot, the effectiveness of playaction, etc. etc. rather than just one catch-all "QB Accuracy" slider. Heck maybe they even add some additional settings which by default are set at "zero" values but we could add in; for example, maybe we could add in an AWR modifier for all passing accuracy checks (but that would default to zero for non-Franchise play, presumably).

They'd probably still reasonably require a set of default tuning values for online ranked games / Ultimate Team / Draft Champions, and maybe they risk allowing us to basically "break the game" if we were to adjust the tuning values to rather extreme settings, but allowing this amount of fine tuning for Franchise players might be something this community would welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
No, this is not a tenable solution for very obvious gameplay balance reasons.

Just like using dice rolls exclusively, making the game painfully easy to win also minimizes the impact of stick skills on the outcome of the contest. As such your facetious proposal benefits neither tournament nor "sim" users.
I wasn't being facetious. It would be on the defenders stick skills to get to the QB, intercept the ball, swat the pass away, make the strip tackle, or time the jump to block the kicks. Don't make it so the rest of the team sits around like zombies, but if you want an interception, or even an incomplete pass, the user defender would have to force it for the most part.

The offensive players stick skills would come into play with timing of the user catch and running back moves. But all passes would be on the hands and no drops unless forced by the user opponent. No fumbles unless directly caused by stick skills, etc.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #53
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I wonder if Tiburon would consider creating an interface to expose the values stored in their tuning update files to the end user to explode the amount of gameplay balancing values we had available to adjust.

Not sure to what extent these things are actually in their tuner files, but I'm imagining being able to tune gameplay balance in a bunch of detailed ways. For example, for passing alone maybe we could adjust accuracy for passes at all three accuracy levels, the proximity a defender needs to be before a quarterback "feels pressure", the accuracy penalty for "feeling pressure", the accuracy penalty for throwing off the run / off back foot, the effectiveness of playaction, etc. etc. rather than just one catch-all "QB Accuracy" slider. Heck maybe they even add some additional settings which by default are set at "zero" values but we could add in; for example, maybe we could add in an AWR modifier for all passing accuracy checks (but that would default to zero for non-Franchise play, presumably).

They'd probably still reasonably require a set of default tuning values for online ranked games / Ultimate Team / Draft Champions, and maybe they risk allowing us to basically "break the game" if we were to adjust the tuning values to rather extreme settings, but allowing this amount of fine tuning for Franchise players might be something this community would welcome.
The tuner doesn't cover everything in detail, though since they're actually using it it possible has been expanded.

Hell, if someone could crack the save we might be able to do it. It's just an XML file.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes of course
Old 11-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
It seems then that the solution for a quick fix would have online games be in rookie mode with offensive sliders and special teams accuracy at 100. Every pass on the mark every catch made and field goals absolutely automatic and then give us sliders that work.
As someone that plays mostly MUT and DC, I don't recognize the game you are describing. I know that it is fun to paint us as dolts, but it just makes you look bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
As someone that plays mostly MUT and DC, I don't recognize the game you are describing. I know that it is fun to paint us as dolts, but it just makes you look bad.
Not painting anyone as anything. Based on the developer tweets I've read, online competitive players don't want randomness or dice rolls. I get that. If I'm playing a shooter, I don't want a grenade that I threw to slip out of my hand and land at my feet or my gun to randomly jam.

It seems that the developers hands are tied in this regard. What I meant was for the online competitive crowd to have everything be on the money UNLESS the user opponent disrupts it. Rookie mode would be that option, not because I think someone is incapable of playing but because if someone has good stick skills it's going to show. It's easy against the AI, but not easy against a good stick player who uses all the moves and switches players timely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »