Home

Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

This is a discussion on Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #57
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreatOne21
It is?

I mean, 2K5 isnt perfect, nor would I say its light years ahead now (although Madden SHOULD be light years ahead at this point), but there are several aspects of 2K5's gameplay that are still superior and more realistic than current Madden.

All opinion, but I completely disagree.

Madden's "broadcast" is a joke IMO. The commentating is still terrible compared to other games. Nothing about the presentation is immersive, and big games dont feel anymore special than meaningless games.

This is fair.

The most annoying thing is that 2K5 is even remotely comparable to Madden 2018....but sadly in every area except graphics, it is. 13 years and on consoles probably 50 times more powerful than the PS2, 2K5 is still relevant, and thats sad. I am not a 2K5 fanboy by any means and I honestly get sick of talking about it, but as long as EA keeps giving us what it gives us year in and year out, 2K5 will always be relevant because it undeniably still does SOME things better than current day Madden.

As far as buying current Madden, it depends what you are into.

Since you dont follow football and dont really care about current rosters, then meh.....thats a huge draw for why alot of people buy current Madden.

Are you into franchise mode? If so, Id pick up Madden 16 or 17 for $5 or less at Gamestop. And then, keep an eye on Madden 19 to see if they improve franchise....just dont get your hopes up.

Gameplay wise....there are some things Madden does better and some things 2K5 does better.

My suggestion is, as I said, go buy Madden 16 or 17 for dirt cheap and try that. Madden 18 wasnt much more than a $60 roster update anyway, so Madden 16 or 17 should give you an idea of where Madden is at today. If you like it, then enjoy and keep an eye on future Madden's. If you dont like it....you only spent $5 and you still have 2K5 to fall back on.
Gonna have to disagree on presentation. Madden commenters will refer to previous drives, trends in the game (QB getting sacked or the defense owning)-WITH highlights during these clips, Madden commenters will refer to the playoff picture, the team's most recent draft, the following week schedule (at the end of the game), it has nice "cut-to-black" moments after injuries and time outs (mirroring broadcasts), and many, many other things that 2k5 lacks. You are letting nostalgia bias you. For the most part (outside of the beginning of the game/half/etc), the only commentating 2k5's Stevens and the other fake one do are comments on the immediately previous play. That's pretty much it.

What 2k5 did RIGHT in terms of presentation was the pregame, half-time, post-game and weekly wrap up. Madden is better in all other aspects, INCLUDING the commenters. The fake ones in 2k5 were great for the time, but they are now outdated.

Also, your claim that the game plays more realistically is also succumbing to nostalgia. There are plenty of wonky things that happened in it, including blockers randomly running in circles, for example (and yes I have recently confirmed everything I've said by looking at game play from it).
Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #58
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Oline play in madden is godawful compared to the 2k series. The pocket “forms” in Madden in a general pocket shape but it’s still patty cake until defenders are given free release to to ball carrier. Nothing was more rewarding than following blockers in the 2k series, especially APF 2k8.

2k is showing its age, but madden isn’t a great game of football for the console it’s on.

My roommate actually got a retro console that allowed us to play tecmo super bowl with updated rosters on the tv this weekend. It was the most fun I’ve had football gaming since madden left the ps2.

I can’t recommend either madden or 2k5 at the moment unless you’re really into retro gaming. There are much better games to choose in my opinion.

Nostalgia strikes again. Note the left guard.

FreeGifMaker.me
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞

FreeGifMaker.me
1 example of having nobody to block is your defense? Lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #60
Rookie

Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

On average, line play is superior in APF 2k8, I haven't play 2k5 in a long time so I couldn't give an honest review on it, but with APF I have played it a lot recently. Their is certainly broken plays during a game as their is in madden, but when madden gets its right and 2k8 gets right right, 2k8 does it better and more often.

In general though it's what you prefer, madden or 2k8 they both play completely different

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by ASZEMPLE; 02-15-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #61
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

FreeGifMaker.me

I don’t have the time or desire to find examples. It’s more about how blocking actually works. Madden doesn’t allow you to truly read blocks. It rarely matters if a defender is being blocked to the outside or inside because when the dice roll says they can beat the block they get completely clean runs at the ball carrier.

APF more so than 2k5 ...and ps2 madden to an extent..had blockers hitting defenders and driving them in various directions. You could keep the blockers between the defender and the ball carrier by reading the blocks properly. They rarely came off blocks completely clean.

An AI missed block in any game is acceptable, it happens. It’s about the overall strategy well programmed blocking provides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #62
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:

FreeGifMaker.me
Shall I post my left guard (Boss Iupati.. 99OVR, arguably the best LG in '17) pulling on stretch runs and whiffing at least 1/3 of the time, literally blocking no one?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #63
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Shall I post my left guard (Boss Iupati.. 99OVR, arguably the best LG in '17) pulling on stretch runs and whiffing at least 1/3 of the time, literally blocking no one?
Consider that an improvement. In somewhat recent past Madden releases the term "pulling lineman" was synonymous with "4 yard loss". I consider it a minor miracle that they've pulled the failure rate down to 1/3rd.

But yea, Madden has been very weak in the trenches and with blocking in general for the last two console generations. It's really tough to put it any other way. Even with undoubted improvements I've seen with M18 compared to older versions, I still roll my eyes once or twice a game when my FB intentionally side steps a LB filling the hole... I get slaughtered... FB engages SS six yards away as whistle blows.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #64
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
Consider that an improvement. In somewhat recent past Madden releases the term "pulling lineman" was synonymous with "4 yard loss". I consider it a minor miracle that they've pulled the failure rate down to 1/3rd.

But yea, Madden has been very weak in the trenches and with blocking in general for the last two console generations. It's really tough to put it any other way. Even with undoubted improvements I've seen with M18 compared to older versions, I still roll my eyes once or twice a game when my FB intentionally side steps a LB filling the hole... I get slaughtered... FB engages SS six yards away as whistle blows.
I 'like' the open field misses better..

FB V LB/S, or lineman out on screen passes.... one man to block.. ONLY man AI would logically pick to block... inexplicably misses, costing you 6..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »