Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I stopped reading right here. Let's add some context around this, shall we?

First up, the game isn't declining in popularity. That's just a white lie based on bad data. Madden NFL 19 was the fourth-best selling game in the United States in 2018 per NPD. Second, we are all well-aware that reported sales figures of video games haven't included digital copies for years. NPD has ways of tracking those, but those numbers are held privately. We further know that digital sales now account for about half of console video game purchases.

To add further context to any apparent drop in release-date sales figures, Madden NFL 19 (and M20) released well before the NFL regular season started, unlike Madden NFL 13 (and basically every Madden up through M18 inclusive) which released at the end of August when hype for the NFL season was at a more fever pitch. Even if we take the declining launch window sales at face value, given that we know Madden still sold like hot pancakes based on NPD's reporting, it is reasonable to argue that Madden's launch window is not as important to its sales as it is to other video games and thus not indicative of the game's popularity.

From this alone, it's my opinion that this writer is clearly cherry-picking facts to support a conclusion he reached well before he put the game in the console. He wants to paint a picture that the game is declining in popularity and quality based on misleading facts and his own apparent bitterness. To be fair, that's his right - a review is an opinion piece - but I similarly have the right to criticize his opinion and dismiss his words in turn. I don't care to read anything past that first couple lines.

Side-note: what is it with specifically the Madden community and the cheerleading of negative reviews which dunk on the game? Like, why should that make any of us happen?
While you’re right about sales, I fail to see how the author making that error automatically means anything else he said is wrong. Seems to me that the conclusion isn’t justified without reading the rest of the article.

For example, and I have yet to finish reading it, but would you say he’s wrong here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Coming from "Madden NFL 19," dedicated players will be able to notice less jank in the passing game, with better catches in traffic, improved pass trajectories, the real generation of pass rush, and tempering of the omniscient, intercepting linebackers. These changes to the game do produce a better overall experience during the on-field action and help build towards a better cyber representation of the game of football. "Madden NFL 20" fixes some of the worst parts of "Madden 19...”
Of course, he follows up by saying the developers should not be commended for such “baby steps,” but I can’t imagine you’d disagree with the quote.

As for your side-note, negative reviews are not making people want to “dunk on” the game, and reviews that do so aren’t cheered out of pettiness or anything like that. Frustration over a lack of laser focus on simulating the National Footbalk League is what makes people want to dunk on the game, and searching for articles to show that that opinion is widespread is what people are doing becuase it helps them processess the anger at having the only NFL game put simulating the NFL as a SECONDARY productuon goal. Gamers aren’t being influenced by those articles in the slightest.

This here sums up the disconnect: The community wants an NFL simulation. The people making decisions at EA Tiburon want a more casual game to bring in more casual players who will make more microtransactions. Make simulating the NFL the main priority and NO ONE will care about the constant microtransactions. But the arcade gameplay and indifference to NFL simulation (including underdeveloped user tools to help make the game a closer sikuoation) enrage the community. That is ultimately the source of the rage, and it is absolutely connected to the fact that there is only one NFL game due to the exclusivity of the NFL license.

On another note, why is the entire thing posted instead of link? Is it not available online?
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 08-12-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
I stopped reading right here. Let's add some context around this, shall we?

First up, the game isn't declining in popularity. That's just a white lie based on bad data. Madden NFL 19 was the fourth-best selling game in the United States in 2018 per NPD. Second, we are all well-aware that reported sales figures of video games haven't included digital copies for years. NPD has ways of tracking those, but those numbers are held privately. We further know that digital sales now account for about half of console video game purchases.

To add further context to any apparent drop in release-date sales figures, Madden NFL 19 (and M20) released well before the NFL regular season started, unlike Madden NFL 13 (and basically every Madden up through M18 inclusive) which released at the end of August when hype for the NFL season was at a more fever pitch. Even if we take the declining launch window sales at face value, given that we know Madden still sold like hot pancakes based on NPD's reporting, it is reasonable to argue that Madden's launch window is not as important to its sales as it is to other video games and thus not indicative of the game's popularity.

From this alone, it's my opinion that this writer is clearly cherry-picking facts to support a conclusion he reached well before he put the game in the console. He wants to paint a picture that the game is declining in popularity and quality based on misleading facts and his own apparent bitterness. To be fair, that's his right - a review is an opinion piece - but I similarly have the right to criticize his opinion and dismiss his words in turn. I don't care to read anything past that first couple lines.

Side-note: what is it with specifically the Madden community and the cheerleading of negative reviews which dunk on the game? Like, why should that make any of us happen?
Digital copies are included. They been included for going on 4 or 5 years lol
Old 08-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
While you’re right about sales, I fail to see how the author making that error automatically means anything else he said is wrong.
His opinion on the game is not a matter of right or wrong; that's the thing about opinions. I simply don't have any interest to read his opinion because he very openly planted his flag in the ground as to where he intended to take the article, what with using bad facts to paint the picture of Madden as a bad game and a waning franchise.

There's a significant difference between good-faith criticism of things the game is doing right and wrong / great and poorly - Operation Sports' thorough reviews, NY KIA's pattern-match zone breakdown videos, my own informed opinion, etc. etc. - and agenda-motivated hit pieces - notably the couple openly negative reviews which have popped up in threads here and I've been so outspoken against, this one included. Similar to the last review like this which got a big thread, I picked up pretty early and obviously that the reviewer here wasn't writing about Madden in good faith, so I quickly stopped reading.

As someone who enjoys playing Madden, I no longer have patience for or interest in reading any piece which is just going to openly dump on something I enjoy doing in my free time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin32
Digital copies are included. They been included for going on 4 or 5 years lol
I stand corrected - NPD added digital figures to its sales numbers in May 2016. The more accessible and unreliable VGChartz still reports only physical copies sold. I mixed the two up somehow.

Regardless, my point stands; if NPD is reporting Madden selling more copies than almost every game in America, it's very obviously still a popular video game and not at all declining, regardless how many units are moving during the launch window.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
I stand corrected - NPD added digital figures to its sales numbers in May 2016. The more accessible and unreliable VGChartz still reports only physical copies sold. I mixed the two up somehow.

Regardless, my point stands; if NPD is reporting Madden selling more copies than almost every game in America, it's very obviously still a popular video game and not at all declining, regardless how many units are moving during the launch window.
Madden is selling half of its peak. That’s not good. While games like fifa, 2k, & MLB break their own records every year it seem like.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 AM   #14
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin32
Madden is selling half of its peak. That’s not good. While games like fifa, 2k, & MLB break their own records every year it seem like.
And 2K breaking its' own records puts it only one slot above a supposedly underperforming Madden in overall sales on the year. I'd expect the difference to be larger, given internet sentiment.

I think it's kinda cool that, especially considering that they release in the second half of the year, two sports games made it into the top ten for yearly sales. I'm not a shareholder for either company so I personally don't care about their performance beyond that.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #15
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:

I don't think the author's point was it is declining in overall popularity, just hype at release, which appears to be supported by the numbers if the data includes digital sales.

Dunking on the game should be celebrated when it is called for, which it is IMO. It's the start of demanding more from a gaming giant with a series they earn giant money from. Expecting giant improvements seems more than reasonable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 AM   #16
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Quote:
His opinion on the game is not a matter of right or wrong; that's the thing about opinions. I simply don't have any interest to read his opinion because he very openly planted his flag in the ground as to where he intended to take the article, what with using bad facts to paint the picture of Madden as a bad game and a waning franchise.

There's a significant difference between good-faith criticism of things the game is doing right and wrong / great and poorly - Operation Sports' thorough reviews, NY KIA's pattern-match zone breakdown videos, my own informed opinion, etc. etc. - and agenda-motivated hit pieces - notably the couple openly negative reviews which have popped up in threads here and I've been so outspoken against, this one included. Similar to the last review like this which got a big thread, I picked up pretty early and obviously that the reviewer here wasn't writing about Madden in good faith, so I quickly stopped reading.

As someone who enjoys playing Madden, I no longer have patience for or interest in reading any piece which is just going to openly dump on something I enjoy doing in my free time.
Then don't read them. And I say that respectfully.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »