Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Easy, peasy, all negative reviews lead to less people purchasing the game leads to the NFL giving up Madden for the license.

As much as I loved 2K back in the day, people really need to realize that a new 2K game is not walking through that door. Madden is a good, dare I say, great game and folks still carrying that flag should just play those old games and let the rest of the sports gaming community move on in peace! Just my $0.02 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathrneck34

Animations range from good to awful. You will still find your ball carriers getting sucked into tackle animations and receivers getting sucked into pass breakups. The players still seem to have no on-field awareness, as the amazing toe-dragging catches from old competitors like "All-Pro Football 2K8" are nowhere to be found. Player weight and momentum still mean nothing.

I just love the fact that he mention All Pro Football 2K8.

Twitter: 2k Football Now
YouTube: 2k Football Now
Old 08-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

More examples of media manipulation of information to meet their overall agenda.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I stand corrected - NPD added digital figures to its sales numbers in May 2016. The more accessible and unreliable VGChartz still reports only physical copies sold. I mixed the two up somehow.

Regardless, my point stands; if NPD is reporting Madden selling more copies than almost every game in America, it's very obviously still a popular video game and not at all declining, regardless how many units are moving during the launch window.
Wait, and correct me if I misunderstood you but you stopped reading during the first paragraph for a reason you are actually wrong about.. then also say you don’t have patience to read any article written that openly dumps on a game you enjoy spending your free time with. Then say it’s not “at all” declining even though their first week sales numbers have been cut in half since 2013-2014. Sounds like some real bias right there for someone bashing someone else for being biased. There are multiple good and fair points made in the article. I don’t agree with every word of it, but it’s not THAT off base.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
MVP

"Regardless, my point stands; if NPD is reporting Madden selling more copies than almost every game in America, it's very obviously still a popular video game and not at all declining, regardless how many units are moving during the launch window."

That is just bad logic. You are better than that.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #22
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
While you’re right about sales, I fail to see how the author making that error automatically means anything else he said is wrong. Seems to me that the conclusion isn’t justified without reading the rest of the article.

For example, and I have yet to finish reading it, but would you say he’s wrong here?

Of course, he follows up by saying the developers should not be commended for such “baby steps,” but I can’t imagine you’d disagree with the quote.

As for your side-note, negative reviews are not making people want to “dunk on” the game, and reviews that do so aren’t cheered out of pettiness or anything like that. Frustration over a lack of laser focus on simulating the National Footbalk League is what makes people want to dunk on the game, and searching for articles to show that that opinion is widespread is what people are doing becuase it helps them processess the anger at having the only NFL game put simulating the NFL as a SECONDARY productuon goal. Gamers aren’t being influenced by those articles in the slightest.

This here sums up the disconnect: The community wants an NFL simulation. The people making decisions at EA Tiburon want a more casual game to bring in more casual players who will make more microtransactions. Make simulating the NFL the main priority and NO ONE will care about the constant microtransactions. But the arcade gameplay and indifference to NFL simulation (including underdeveloped user tools to help make the game a closer sikuoation) enrage the community. That is ultimately the source of the rage, and it is absolutely connected to the fact that there is only one NFL game due to the exclusivity of the NFL license.

On another note, why is the entire thing posted instead of link? Is it not available online?
Man this is a excellent post. I cant imagine why some would say that this is a madden bashing review..It was well though out and touches on all the points of contention regarding the game. I am looking at it and I am asking what exactly is the author so wrong about?..of course it's his opinion but he basically put on paper what everyone is saying.. I have read some obvious Madden hating reviews and to be honest this is not one of them by far. I will say it again, as long as we have the same posters who immediately jump on every review when it doesn't favor Madden, we will have antagonistic threads that turn to agenda pieces. Every review that doesn't overwhelmingly put Madden in a good light is vilified unnecessarily..it's got to stop so we all can start creating positive dialogue to progress this game to the point where we all have some satisfaction..I am generally a wait and see guy when it comes to Madden but it has it's good an d bad points as usual..I think the game play is a lot smoother than last year but CPU AI..rehashed tackling animations, and scratch my head coverage make it look like it's taken a step backward or at the least is moving forward in very baby steps like the author indicated..it's a matter of do you want to pay for the baby steps...for me it still warrants a rental and used purchase but thats my opinion..I don't choose sides or disrespect anyone elses opinion...do you!!!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #23
Pro

Whenever we bring up 2K, I always point out that they are just as much to blame. When they lost the license, they should have seen that as an opportunity. There is nothing wrong with a generic game, and APF 2k8 had potential... it's death knell was not having a franchise mode.

It just blows me away that 2K has not pounced on the opportunity the have.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Why has there been so many reviews posted this year?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »