Home

2011 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on 2011 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
2011 New York Yankees

I know it's still Spring Training, but we need to have some Yankees talk in here. Let's get it going.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Re: 2011 New York Yankees

Some Spring Numbers

The battle for spots 4-5.

Bartolo Colon
9 IP
8 H
3 ER
12 K
1 BB (1 HBP)

Freddy Garcia
5 IP
2 H
0 ER
3 K
0 BB

Sergio Mitre
5 IP
5 H
0 ER
4 K
0 BB

Ivan Nova
5 IP
3 H
0 ER
3 K
0 BB (1 HBP)

The Killer B's:

Manny Banuelos - 5 IP, 0 ER, 8 K, 1 BB (1 HBP)

Dellin Betances - 4.2 IP, 2 ER, 7 K, 5 BB

Andrew Brackman - 1 IP, 0 ER, 1 K, 0 BB
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Curtis Granderson has really impressed so far this spring. He looks like he hasn't missed a beat. Kevin Long really did a number on this guy. I'm expecting a .290 avg with 25 bombs out of him.

This Manny Banuelos is the real deal. I'm liking what I've seen of him. His command and mound presence are way beyond anything I expected.

I love the idea of Jesus Montero being our backup catcher. They did the same thing with Posada early in his career - let him catch a couple of games, learn the ML hitters and the pitchers on the staff.

Do you expect Cano to be our #3 hitter by the All Star break? I do.

Nunez or Pena for the utility role?

I'm looking forward to this season. It's fun to be the underdog (as much as a $200 mil team can be) by most accounts.

Let's go, Yankees!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Cano should be the #3 guy but it won't happen. There's no way Alex and Mark slide down in the lineup or even move up. Tex will be #3 and Alex #4. Cano is a very good #5, though.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Not sure about Montero as backup catcher. I'd do it if they could get him at bats at DH. Catch 2-3 games a week, DH another 2-3, something like that. But not sure if that's going to happen, they aren't going to sit Posada down. They did it with Posada when he came up, but he was 25, not 21. I think it would be doable if they were willing to still catch Posada occasionally, but they don't seem willing to do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I doubt Martin is going to catch a whole lot considering the injury.

Montero is going to get a lot of opportunities. I can see him catching 2-3 times a week without a question. But, he's not going to be an everyday player.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Montero looks good behind the plate too. He seems to set up pretty nicely, frames pitches okay (better than Posada) and everyone knows he will rake one day. Haven't seen him attempt to throw out any base stealers but I'm liking the progress. He can learn on the bench from guys like Girardi and Jorge, and just be around the vets who will show him what being a Yankee is all about.

Part of the reason why Montero should get the job is that no one is enamored with Cervelli. It would be one thing if he was some great defensive catcher and had a gun for an arm but that's not the case....and he's a pit of suck at the plate.

Montero would bring some real excitement with him too. It'd be great to see a baby Bomber position player up in the big leagues.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Ivan Nova was stellar in his previous Spring outing. 6 innings, no hits. 4 strikeouts.

He is crediting a new grip on his slider for his new rise. Apparently, after Jose Bautista launched one of his hanging sliders into the stands last year, Nova abandoned the pitch for the season, but returned to it in the off-season to refine it. It's working.

Also in former Yankees news: Ian Kennedy has been tabbed the Arizona Diamondbacks Opening Day starter. Good for the kid. I always liked him and still think he'll continue to improve. Kennedy was 9-10 last year with a 3.80 ERA in 32 starts over 194 Innings. He struck out 168 and walked 70.

I once said that Kennedy would be a better pitcher than Hughes. I still believe that, but I can't argue over having Hughes. He's got good opportunity to improve.

Last edited by CMH; 03-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »