Home

2011 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on 2011 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
You know how Girardi faces less scrutiny for yesterday? By bringing in Mariano instead of Robertson.

But this infatuation with the 9th inning save killed that.

What bothers me most is Girardi using the "It's only April" card. April wins count just as much as September wins.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 04-06-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 2011 New York Yankees

He should have just brought Robertson in from the start. He had him warming up first. Your telling me Girardi doesn't have faith in Robertson to hold a 4 run lead?

Also bringing in Robertson wasn't a bad move at all. Giving up a bloop double like that isn't his fault.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
He should have just brought Robertson in from the start. He had him warming up first. Your telling me Girardi doesn't have faith in Robertson to hold a 4 run lead?

Also bringing in Robertson wasn't a bad move at all. Giving up a bloop double like that isn't his fault.
Yes, that's the first thing that struck me. Soriano pitched the day before and Robertson was well-rested. 4-0 lead, you go with Robertson to start the inning. At least, that's what I was thinking Girardi would do the whole time.

But, what makes me shake my head is that Girardi said this: "A 4-0 lead isn't safe."

Apparently a 4-1 lead with the bases loaded is. Gotta go to Mo.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #28
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Taking another series before we take on the Sox. I have a funny feeling they take two of three in their opening home series.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

Big game today with Hughes vs. Lackey.

What are you guys looking for from Hughes today? I know that has been a topic of conversation here. Here's what I'm looking for:

1- Velocity going in the right direction. I'm hoping he starts hitting north of 92 mph.
2- A more concerted effort on using the changeup to set up his fastball (or visa versa) and using his "slutter" or whatever it is to strike guys out.
3- Quit nibbling and go after guys.

Discuss...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Hughes definitely needs to show improvement on the velocity. Anytime people see something different from last year, they get worried. He throws in the 90s and even if he loses, people won't point at his velocity.

Then we can start concerning ourselves with Hughes developing that outpitch. He seems to throw too many fastballs in two-strike counts. I haven't looked at stats to be sure of this, though. It just seems that way to me.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #31
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

I feel ya. That loss in velocity has definitely zapped his chances of getting swinging strikes. I'll give him a few more starts before I get concerned, but it's something to watch for sure. Maybe pitching against a rival will amp him up a little...doubtful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #32
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

I know it's only his second start of the season, but this is tough to watch. His location is horrible and he's not fooling anybody with any of his pitches. Hopefully, the bats keep going and keep them in this...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »