Home

2011 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on 2011 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #33
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: 2011 New York Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
I know it's only his second start of the season, but this is tough to watch. His location is horrible and he's not fooling anybody with any of his pitches. Hopefully, the bats keep going and keep them in this...
I "watched" on gamecast and I can see that Hughes was horrible today. I hope he's hiding an injury and finally shares with the coaching staff.

edit: Will say this: So far, Colon is looking really good. He struggled with the first few batters he faced this year, giving up that two-run shot, but he's been pretty steady since.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 04-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #34
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah CMH, he's just looked atrocious and borderline embarrassing for a #3 in the rotation. However, how about Colon coming in and retiring the first six guys he's faced, three by way of a strikeout? Couldn't have seen that coming.

Yanks keep chipping away at that lead...

UPDATE: Just as I hit post, ARod ties the game up. Thank your teammates for picking up your poor pitching outing Hughes and saved you a loss on your record....

Last edited by jkra0512; 04-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

His location was definitely the problem today, not his velocity. He left way too many cutters over the middle of the plate. Maybe he threw so many cutters because he didn't have velocity on his fastball. Hopefully he figures it out soon. I'm in favor of letting Colon get a few starts in though. You know he has a limited amount of pitches in that arm before he either gets hurt or starts to suck. They should maximize those innings by letting him start.

Also Boone Logan is just a waste of a roster spot. He's never been great at getting out lefties and this year he has been abysmal with his location if you go back to spring training. He had a good 2 months last year, but the rest of the year he was his normal mediocre self. I would just to just DFA him but I don't see any immediate guys to add, lefty or righty, in the minors unless you want to give Buddy Carlyle or Andy Cisco innnings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Might have to put Hughes on the dl or something if this doesn't change soon. Either he is hurt, or he has to figure something out mechanically. Because he has absolutely nothing out there. Flat slow fastball, no bite on the curve, no location. His cutter is never good enough to rely on as his main pitch. He has no chance out there with the stuff he has right now.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #37
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

I believe Hughes still has options left, do you send him down to AAA and let him figure it out there and give Colon the ball until Hughes "figures it out?"

I'm not sure that's an option, but it's clear to Hughes himself that he has no confidence. Some of the postgame comments he said he feels he isn't bringing anything to the team. If that's not an issue, than I don't know what is!

Hughes was supposed to be a stalwart at the pitching position and Burnett was supposed to be the wildcard...Doesn't look like that after two starts. Pitching is 90% mental and 10% talent and right now Hughes has neither working in his favor. Poor guy, the team isn't going anywhere without him giving the Yanks multiple quality starts.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #38
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I don't know if the Yankees will send him down. That could damage him even more.

Maybe Girardi skips him in the rotation and has Hughes throw on the side. If he needs to strengthen his arm, they can do that on off-days without it hurting the team.

Colon took a loss and he never deserved it. One ER over 4 IP with 5 Ks. He was great today.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #39
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

I'm not sure what you do with him. But, I think it has to get worse before it gets better, mentally for him. He's completely broken right now and I think he needs a few more games at a different level to help him figure out what's going on. Games that don't matter.

I can't believe I am saying this but, I can't wait until Millwood gets here...
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #40
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Nova still has problems that third time through a lineup. Killed his chances to pick up a win. He was moving along well until the 4th.

Pedroia is hammering the ball. One of the only bright spots to start the season for the struggling Red Sox.

Before Granderson and Cano went deep, I heard that the Yanks generated a league leading 65% of their runs from the long ball.

Russell's got muscle.

Sent from my mobile device.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »