Home

2011 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on 2011 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #65
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: 2011 New York Yankees

Really finding it humorous right now that some people are blaming Cashman for embarrassing Posada and that the Yankees need to defend Posada in this situation because he's...Posada.

Wow. Just amazing. Cashman did absolutely nothing wrong. And Posada complained that Cashman should have never spoken to the press during the game saying something to the effect of: "I guess that's how he handles things today."

Man, Posada is sounding like a bitter little child. I'm beginning to get the feeling that some of the old veteran champion Yankees (need I name names?) are having a hard time coping with their decline and the blunt truths spoken by Cashman.

They are trying to make Cashman seem like the enemy and I can only wonder if they believe they are in the right because they have 5 rings.

I've said it before, as many wagon riders as you might find in Yankee-Land, the New York population loves its baseball and isn't stupid about the game. We know the truth and while we'll always love Posada for his effort, last night he looked like an overpaid crybaby.

Apologize, bat ninth/or retire, and take your paycheck for the very last year of your professional career.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
I was going to say wait until June 1st, but after this stunt you might as well bench Posada now and have Montero DH. The only thing is that Jorge doesn't really have a role on the bench and there is a 0% chance they release him.

You don't see Swisher bitching about hitting 8th after he wasn't hitting, but Posada has always been a hot head. I do know Cashman won't be too happy though.
Swisher is still playing Right Field, however.

Imagine being Posada. You are the starting catcher (most important player, alongside the pitcher) for over a decade, and now all of a sudden you are stripped of your duties and placed in the Designated Hitter position (a position that doesn't even exist in the NL), and then shuffled to the bottom of the lineup due to bad performance (but let's be honest, the entire lineup sans Granderson is playing like crap).

It's an absolute crush to his pride, and he got frustrated and acted brashly.

Any competitor, with a brain that is wired in a manner which compels them to have the innate desire to be the best, and to be a valuable contributor, should understand what's been going through Posada's head and how we got this point.

Now, am I saying Posada is not at fault for acting brashly? No, I don't agree with his choice to pull himself out of the lineup, but I absolutely understand his frustrations and the things that got him to that point.

I myself have been frustrated at work (Dunkin' Donuts) in the past when I came into work and wasn't able to grab the headset and take control the way I had grew accustomed to. It's the same as when players like TO bitch about not getting the ball thrown to them. When you feel you are the best, and that you have what it takes to be a contributor, it's absolutely frustrating when you aren't given the opportunity to be that guy.

Pride can make you do stupid things.

Last edited by tsalbysp; 05-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #67
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I agree that Jorge's anger is justified for an athlete.

The issue isn't how he handled it; it's what he said after when he's had hours to collect himself.

He could have apologized and admitted his mistake. Then people would say: Hey, you know I'd be mad too but at least he realized that he should have acted differently.

Instead we have conflicting stories and neither makes Jorge look like the good guy.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #68
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

I still don't understand why Cashman went on national television to give us....nothing about the situation. That made no sense to me. I was hoping Posada would retire, save us some money, but then I thought better of it after learning he was getting paid 13.1M this year. haha.

Definitely, not a fan of him right now. I appreciate what he did over the years, but he's pulling a Brett Favre here. You are ineffective Jorge, realize this and move on.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #69
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

He apologized to Girardi and Cashman. I'll take it.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

I think it would be smart if the team just followed what Cashman said from here on out. FO signs Feliciano and Soriano when he doesn't want to, and while one is out for the year, the other is now out indefinitely and is also a jackass throwing the offense under the bus when he hasn't pitched in the last week.

This team is effed if/when Cashman doesn't come back after this season.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #71
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Wherever Cashman ends up, I'll consider myself a follower of the team. Obviously will never stop loving the Yankees, but Cashman is to me what some free agent players become for others.

Cashman has really impressed me with his handling of the champion core. Guy runs the Yanks like a business GM should. It's too bad he gets overruled so much.

Never like his relief pitcher signings but the two best ones he didn't want to make are the ones he had to and look where those guys are now.

Sent from my mobile device.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 9

ok - last night's Rays game really hurt. AJ implodes and the offense shows no fight in the final 4 innings. Things don't look much better tonight going against James Shields, who has been outstanding this year.

This clubhouse is a mess right now too. Jeter should've kicked Jorgie's butt for quitting on the team. He's the captain - this is his job. Not for Jeter to basically give him a free pass to the media. I love Jorge for all he's done but that was bush league.

Don't even get me started about Soriano. All the chatter about his makeup has been spot on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »