Home

2011 Kansas City Royals

This is a discussion on 2011 Kansas City Royals within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #65
MVP

Cabke's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: 2011 Kansas City Royals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
I don't think we worry too much over a couple mil. Just pretend David Glass is using the treasure chest of money Gil Meche gave back to him.
It's hard to pretend that David Glass is willingly spending any money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
has a little fun while playing.
This must be a Missouri thing, because having a grown man tap me in the nuts isn't my idea of fun.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #67
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
This must be a Missouri thing, because having a grown man tap me in the nuts isn't my idea of fun.
It's an athlete thing. I don't see a lot of butt slapping, nut tapping, or shaving-cream-pie-in-the-facing in the marketing world, even in Missouri.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma1093
so I don't get why people hate on him so much.
People hate on him so much because so many people are willing to defend him. If less people were willing to defend a guy who had a sub .300 OBP from 2008-2010, you'd see less people hating on him so much. Frenchy could hit like Moose next year, and people would still defend the signing. If it works out, I'll be ecstatic and admit I was wrong, but I've seen nothing in his career that leads me to believe he can repeat what he's done this year.

I don't know, maybe I'm letting past hate stay in my way, but I feel like it's pretty telling when the first thing Ryan said was "veteran leadership", and the first thing you said was "he's fun to watch". That's not what I'm looking for in a guy who is making $13.5 million over the next two years.

Quote:
It's an athlete thing. I don't see a lot of butt slapping, nut tapping, or shaving-cream-pie-in-the-facing in the marketing world, even in Missouri.
That's true.

Last edited by Chaos81; 08-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #69
MVP

Cabke's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
People hate on him so much because so many people are willing to defend him. If less people were willing to defend a guy who had a sub .300 OBP from 2008-2010, you'd see less people hating on him so much. Frenchy could hit like Moose next year, and people would still defend the signing. If it works out, I'll be ecstatic and admit I was wrong, but I've seen nothing in his career that leads me to believe he can repeat what he's done this year.

I don't know, maybe I'm letting past hate stay in my way, but I feel like it's pretty telling when the first thing Ryan said was "veteran leadership", and the first thing you said was "he's fun to watch". That's not what I'm looking for in a guy who is making $13.5 million over the next two years.
Too many people let past hate get in the way. I'm not saying he has been a good player over the last three years, he obviously hasn't. I'm saying I support the signing because of how he has performed this season. Is $13.5 too much? Hell yes. But when we have no legit shot at making a run next year, I'm definitely looking for a player who is fun to watch. Would you rather have a Terrance Long who is making $1.5 mil a year, but loses flyballs in the sky consistently, or a guy like Frenchy making $6.5 mil but has a decently consistent bat and makes some stellar plays on defense? I'd take Frenchy a million times over. What I'm saying is, why not? Who else do we have to put there? Cain? He'll make the big league club next year and will be a good fourth outfielder, but he isn't the long term option. A guy who has fun playing and does fairly well is welcome on any team. The reason this team is as fun as it is to watch is because of the atmosphere in the club house.

We aren't going to win in the next two years, so I don't see why this signing is an issue. He's not blocking anyone from coming up, he is a ton of fun to watch, and he makes the game more fun for the guys around him. Who the **** cares that he took batting practice in his boxers? He's having fun playing the game, and that's hard to do when your team is 51-73. This team does not act like a team that is 20 games under .500. And that's largely due to guys like Frenchy.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

Quote:
Is $13.5 too much? Hell yes.
We agree on things then, that's good.

Quote:
has a decently consistent bat
Consistent isn't what I think of when I think of Jeff Francouer. Unless you mean he consistently starts off well, then falls off a cliff.

2011 numbers
Opening day to May 4: .316/.357/.623
May 5 to July 14: .237/.282/.349
July 15 to last night: .319/.394/.534

Quote:
What I'm saying is, why not?
Because I'd rather see them throw Cain out there and find out what we have in him then take the $12.7 million they'd save and put it towards a starting pitcher. That's why not. As you said yourself, this team isn't going to compete the next two years, so where's the harm in putting another prospect out there every day to see what he can do? Francouer definitely isn't the future, and even if you don't think Cain is the long term answer, the only way we'll find out for sure is to play him every day. That's not going to happen as things stand now.

We all agree the starting pitching on this team is the biggest problem, right? DM spent $13.5 million on a position that he can fill with a prospect he just traded for. You can say you don't think Cain is the long term answer, but given that he traded for the guy, I don't think DM feels the same way. I'd have been perfectly fine with letting Frenchy go, keeping Cabrera (Who has had the better year), and bringing Cain up to start. Then use the money they saved there, as well as money they've saved elsewhere, to go and get a couple starting pitchers.

As it is I'm hopeful someone will trade for Cabrera so Cain can get called up to play CF next year. Probably won't happen since DM didn't trade Melky already, but I can dream.

EDIT: I should add that I don't find the Royals fun to watch anymore. It was fun at one point, but now the young guys don't seem so young, and things feel like they haven't changed much. That might help put my view on things into perspective a little more.

Last edited by Chaos81; 08-18-2011 at 11:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »