Home

Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

This is a discussion on Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

That would be fascinating, and would be one of those things that would be great to figure out. Might really reflect the true value of a catcher, beyond simple defense, and make it worth carrying that guy who can't, never could, never will hit, but can handle a staff. An Eddie Perez type (or insert name of any of the other catchers his royal Madduxness insisted on throwing to instead of poor Javy Lopez, who sure could hit! Totally off topic, but one of my theories/excuses for why the Braves didn't win more in the postseason is just that: Maddux was forced to pitch to Javy, and never did very well. Ok, just an excuse, but still...)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 9

Great post derelictojama....

I'm not the greatest at pitching, but I have gotten better after studying real life baseball and reading some of the great advice on this forum on pitching strategies that work in this game.

I have the API set to "On" so I always see what the catcher suggests. And I'm telling you, I notice a difference between guys. I'm playing 3 different franchises so I've worked with about 6 different catchers this season and its easy to see/feel.

The good ones call for off-speed pitches in hitters counts, will mix up location more, and call set up to get hitters out. They also do a good job of mixing up their strategy the 2nd and 3rd time through the line-up.

I have found the bad ones call a very repetitive game, asking for a ton of fastballs, won't change location. All the things that will cause you to get your brains beat in!

I know some will think I'm crazy, but when I play with a good catcher pitching is truly a joy. I will shake him off from time to time, but most of the time I'm just following, because we are on the same page anyway. His 2 strike pitches are almost always on the money.

When I play with a bad game-caller, I get frustrated at his idiotic suggestions and I end up calling most of the game myself. I question his logic and "balls" to call for 4 straight fastballs in the same location in a row. These games, my pace is slower and I'm using the pitch analysis screen a lot more!

It would be great if any of the developers could confirm any of this...I could be crazy...Or we could be on to something here. Like derelictojama said, if it's true it would change how we play the game and make roster decisions. And be more realistic!

----
Here are the guys I've used and if they are good or not

Houston - Chris Snyder - Good
Houston - Jason Castro - Bad

Mets - Josh Thole - Good
Mets - Mike Nickeas - Bad (Too bad because he is good in real life)

Yankees - Russell Martin - Average (Jury is still out for me on him)
Yankees - Chris Stewart - Good

Last edited by Geronimo22; 06-19-2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Added the catchers I've worked with
Old 06-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Pro

This actually wouldn't surprise me at all because back in the day they did have a catcher call game rating so its not like they couldn't do it again. What is a little strange is that it would mean there is a hidden attribute, which I've never know these guys to do at all. I'd be really really interested to hear from the devs on this one for sure!
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I get this message constantly about Russell Martin.

Count me in, guys.

Whatever info any of you want, just let me know. I kind of assumed this was related to fielding, but I honestly have no clue at this point.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HechticSooner
This actually wouldn't surprise me at all because back in the day they did have a catcher call game rating so its not like they couldn't do it again. What is a little strange is that it would mean there is a hidden attribute, which I've never know these guys to do at all. I'd be really really interested to hear from the devs on this one for sure!
Hidden attributes do exist.

Brian SCEA recently mentioned a hidden late-in-the-game starter's velocity rating.

Think of a guy like Verlander. There are times where in real life, his average fastball velocity will actually increase the deeper in the game he gets. This hidden rating is designed to replicate that.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Whatever info any of you want, just let me know.
Do you have a key to the golden city H&V? Can you find the truth behind this?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo22
Do you have a key to the golden city H&V? Can you find the truth behind this?
Heh...

No, but what I do have is stats. Maybe if those of us receiving this message compare notes, we can hammer the triggers behind this notification down.

My team ERA is 3.76 or so.

No key here....

Or is there?????

No, seriously, there's not.

Or maybe there is........hmmmm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Rookie

jv35's Arena

OVR: 4

Hidden attribute for velocity: I know starters usually loose velocity over the course of a game, which I assumed was from loosing energy. As for Verlander, as a Tiger fan I have the pleasure of watching him, and depending on the gun he'll start the game between 90-94 and stay between 98-100 after the 7th. I haven't seen this happen during a game of the Show, so if there is a hidden attribute, that would be awesome.

Back on topic: Earlier this year, I was wondering if catchers had a game-calling ability. I guess it's all mental but Avila seems to call a better game than Laird in my franchise. And I have a team ERA around 4, but I have never seen this message before a game. I just get the typical "Player A looked tired, maybe he should get a day off", or "Player B is only hitting X against LHP, maybe someone else should start"
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »