Home

Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

This is a discussion on Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #41
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

How many of you that get this message play every game, rather than simming? Cause I think I know why this is happening...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan1999
How many of you that get this message play every game, rather than simming? Cause I think I know why this is happening...
I had that very thought, but my post was getting long, so I left it out. As a majority simmer, I was figuring I might not be seeing it since I don't play every game. Only thing I will say is that even the games I don't play I usually set up via Sportscast Manager and then sim to the end, so I can do the lineups and everything, so I do see all of the "this guy needs a rest" or "this guy can't hit lefties" and "this guy pulled something in bp" messages, so, for what that's worth. But I did have that specific thought, to ask those who have actually seen the message if they are all play 162ers, and that might be at least a partial answer to the initial question.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #43
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelictojama
I had that very thought, but my post was getting long, so I left it out. As a majority simmer, I was figuring I might not be seeing it since I don't play every game. Only thing I will say is that even the games I don't play I usually set up via Sportscast Manager and then sim to the end, so I can do the lineups and everything, so I do see all of the "this guy needs a rest" or "this guy can't hit lefties" and "this guy pulled something in bp" messages, so, for what that's worth. But I did have that specific thought, to ask those who have actually seen the message if they are all play 162ers, and that might be at least a partial answer to the initial question.
I think that the guys who play every game and get this message don't throw what the catchers ask for most of the time, which gets them the message. Thoughts?

Does anyone really care where I sent this from?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #44
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan1999
I think that the guys who play every game and get this message don't throw what the catchers ask for most of the time, which gets them the message. Thoughts?

Interesting.

Not sure if this theory holds weight or not, but it is intriguing.

I essentially play every game and did begin calling my own game more right around the time of this prompt.

Though I still have no reason to believe this theory is true, I also have no reason not to thanks to the complete mystery surrounding it.

Hopefully others that receive this message can answer it too, so we can see one way or the other.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #45
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Interesting.

Not sure if this theory holds weight or not, but it is intriguing.

I essentially play every game and did begin calling my own game more right around the time of this prompt.

Though I still have no reason to believe this theory is try, I also have no reason not to.

Hopefully others that receive this message can answer it too, so we can see one way or the other.
I'm a simmer, so I wouldn't know. I just had the idea out of the blue.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 9

It actually sounds like a legit hypotheses to me. Especially if those that get it tend to most call their own game and have API on. This would make it look like the catcher is calling a bad game because the pitcher is shaking him off all the time. Then he decides that you way of pitch is not proper and does want to throw the pitch that you want to.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 6

Imagine Boomhauer's voice:

dang ol internet dadgum freezin game man dang ol.... man, I tellyouwhat...

Good:

David Ross calls a great game as a catcher, love it. Now I know why he has a job (and he can hit, too! why is he not somebody's everyday guy?).

Bad:

I'd love to report the actual statistics, but in my zeal to capture all of the details on paper and highlights on video, the dang old game decided to freeze up on me for the first time in forever, and caused me to lose one of my favorite games I've ever played, AND freeze up before I could write down any of my stats (CJ Wilson CG, two solo HRs, 4 hits overall, 6-7 ks, 0-1 bb, 112 or so pitches) or look at pitch selection to see how it was done (I looked at it in the 7th, and it was 90% fb and 2sm, or whatever Wilson's 2 fastballs are; Ross did start calling for the breaking stuff more later, but I would NEVER have thrown that many fastballs by choice with a starter; but man, it worked; I'll take 2 solo homers over 9 innings any time, as long as I can score 3!).

Ah, well. Anecdotally, one time through 4 catchers (Clevenger/Rookie, Ross/Conger), Ross and the rookie have called the best games. I'll keep up with it, for what it's worth. But tonight, after that happened... seems like a good time to see what netflix has.... yeah, Thor sounds good.

Ha, back to baseball tomorrow I'm sure, games to pitch, stats to track, life goes on.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelictojama
I looked at it in the 7th, and it was 90% fb and 2sm, or whatever Wilson's 2 fastballs are; Ross did start calling for the breaking stuff more later, but I would NEVER have thrown that many fastballs by choice with a starter; but man, it worked; I'll take 2 solo homers over 9 innings any time, as long as I can score 3!).
Good stuff. Good work with recording your stats. I wanted ask you to clarify your study objective (I might have missed it earlier).

Quickly, I just wanted to mention; It a tough proposition to judge if a catcher called a "good" game. I believe that it can't be based soley on stats. I'd like to believe a catcher can call a "good" game and the pitcher can lack execution or hitters can have great at bats. Not to mention, the classic, the umpire squezze "you like a fresh flordia orange all game" syndome, with causes walks and eventual meatballs. But that is besides the point because my opinions are based on conditions and not results.

I prosume you are attempting to accomplish a result oriented study - By following the catchers suggestions to a tee, you are hoping to eliminate the theory that its based on a high percentage of "shaking" off the catcher. And then that would lead us to believe the notification is soley based on that catchers success rate (wins,strikeouts,etc).

Just want to make sure Im following you correctly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »