Home

Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

This is a discussion on Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

Are passed balls unavailable to me once a game is completed?

I just assumed they'd show up in the boxscore history screens.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Are passed balls unavailable to me once a game is completed?

I just assumed they'd show up in the boxscore history screens.
Yeah I think those should show up in the box scores when you click the past games in the schedule. I don't think there's any other way to access them, like in player cards or that stats spreadsheet type of screen.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

It doesn't matter anyway, because as I mentioned, it doesn't factor in the earned/unearned runs differentiation. So with no tracker and improper ER logic, passed balls versus wild pitches are seemingly incredibly moot, so it seems.

And FunkeyMonkey, I don't play with the PCI on. I throw my own pitches.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
MVP

And I let the CPU call the game (mostly).
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Yeah I think those should show up in the box scores when you click the past games in the schedule. I don't think there's any other way to access them, like in player cards or that stats spreadsheet type of screen.
I was talking about tallying it up from each individual game's boxscore. It's still available there, right?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I was talking about tallying it up from each individual game's boxscore. It's still available there, right?
It should be. Just tedious to tally since you need to click on every single game from the past.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
Pro

OVR: 9

Passed balls don't show up in old box scores. How do I know? I just played a game where my catcher (Jason Castro) had a passed ball. At the end of the game the box score had "Fielding - PB Castro (3)". However when I progressed ahead to the schedule screen and went back to look at the old box score, it didn't show.

Well I'll just have to keep track when it happens each game. Because it will notify you with how many you have that season. Example : Jason Castro has 3 so far.

On another note - I agree with what guys mentioned above, I really doubt it has to do with passed balls because it seems to happen very infrequently during the season.

And to answer the question - Do I follow the catchers suggestions? I'm about 90% follow with Chris Snyder and about 50% follow with Jason Castro.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 6

So I've been keeping up with this, still haven't seen the message myself, but this whole thing has gotten me to thinking about how the catchers call the games. I guess all along I've been going about 50/50, essentially using the catcher's call as a suggestion; I'll usually use it for the first pitch, not nec. location but just let the catcher decide when to bust out that first pitch breaking ball strike, etc., but the deeper I go into the ab, and into the game, the more I'll start looking at hot/cold zones, pitch history, etc., and making my own decisions. So I'm guessing 50/50, and though I've had moments where I have said both "Man, that is a really bad idea"--catcher calling for a 3rd consec high fb vs. ARod, for instance-- AND "hey, that's a good idea"--when the catcher calls for a pitch and or location that actually breaks ME out of a bad pattern, like... trying to throw 3 straight high fbs past ARod.

Anyway, to be more relevant, I have just decided I'm going to just let the catcher call my games for me for a while, see how that goes, see if I can determine any real differences between the catchers. I'm currently playing one, simming five, with both the Cubs & Angels, in the same universe; so that gives me, at this point, David Ross & Hank Conger w the Angels, and Steve Clevenger & a rookie I drafted in 2012 and is already up and producing in June 2013 on the Cubs. Now, to be just slightly scientific, my opening hypothesis is that I should pitch better when pitching to Ross, a career backup, essentially, who is my 3/4 time starter with the Angels, than to Conger, a younger guy who is unproven. Similarly, I should pitch a better game on the Cubs with Clevenger calling the game than a rookie drafted essentially one calendar year ago who is mostly up in the bigs already because he can hit & run the bases (and Wellington Castillo was hitting .155 through May). Just an opening hypothesis, and I don't know how scientific I'll end up being, but I'm tracking stats for a variety of other reasons, no problem adding a small "how the catcher called the game" procedure.

Actually started last night, so just anecdotal at this point, but I actually did let the catchers call the whole games: Cubs won 4-1, CG, 3 hitter on slightly over 100 pitches by Derek Holland (picked him up recently and have not had much luck with him until this game), game called by the rookie good hitting catcher. Hmmmm. Angels won 5-4, Dan Haren was pitching a gem until giving up a late 3 run homer in the 8th (to David Ortiz, I think, who had already hit one and I really should have put a lefty in to face him, thought Haren had one more out in him...) to tie at 4-4 then Angels won in the 9th, game called by Conger, and if you take away the Ortiz HR, which was plausibly a bad decision by the manager (me), he didn't call a bad game. So, anecdotaly, so far, the guys I expected to not call good games actually did call good games. Next games I play will be with Ross & Clevenger, so then I'll at least have one full game each to begin comparing. I could go look at past box scores, but as we've learned, the stats tracked are very limited--no passed balls, also no pitch counts, much less pitch breakdowns.

So, whatever other angle anyone else takes on this, I'm going to head down this road and I'll report in as I build up some data and maybe we'll see some trends. One final thing: the idea I have that Ross & Clevenger should call better games is VERY unscientific; it's basically going on the, if you are older & more experienced, you will call a better game idea, which is kind of facile. But, that's where I'm starting from.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »