Home

Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

This is a discussion on Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Pregame suggestion to bench your catcher for calling a bad game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan1999
How many past balls have you been getting?
I wouldn't say too many. I haven't counted, but I could probably go through my boxscores and find out. All nearly 85 of them. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Where is the energy level at for the catcher when you receive this message? I know there are some messages that you get when a player is performing poorly or having a very uneven split, etc., but I've never received this notice about calling a game myself. I thought that sort of message is just to give a variation in how you should give him a rest (based on his energy level), but it's interesting if the game actually takes this into account.

Too bad I often pitch too well for the game to think I pitch poorly. :P
He was fully rested when it happened last night. It was the first game after the All-Star break so I don't just 'think' he was fully rested. I 'know' he was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Anybody care to join me in trying to figure out the cause for this notification?
I'd love to try to figure it out with you. I've yet to see the notification in my franchise, but I am a huge believer in catchers ability to call a game. I cringe at the thought when I have to play with my "bad" catcher, even though he probably has a better bat.

How do you suggest we test this?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo22
I'd love to try to figure it out with you. I've yet to see the notification in my franchise, but I am a huge believer in catchers ability to call a game. I cringe at the thought when I have to play with my "bad" catcher, even though he probably has a better bat.

How do you suggest we test this?
Let's start with passed balls. Go through the boxscores and tally them up. I'll do the same.

Two things:

1. What really confuses me about this message is how the wording of it changes. I can't remember offhand what the exact phrases are, but the first one seems to imply poor defense, while the second one flat out questions the catcher's leadership ability. This one puzzles me!

2. How many games are you into your deepest Franchise? I don't recall seeing this prompt until June-ish. Are you at least that deep in any of your save files? I'm not saying it can't be triggered earlier, I just don't know if this is a message that needs 'time' to manifest.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I get this message all of the time, maybe every eighth game or so. Sometimes I follow up with the switch, and sometimes I ignore it. I never thought it to be about the catcher calling a bad game, though; I always thought it was because I often don't throw out my runners (normally it's because I play with the game on mute on Vita and I have no idea when the **** they're running ).

I think I've got the leadership ability one as well. I'll do a screencap of either one the next time I get them, but those were during my 2012 season. I don't think I've received them yet about twenty games into my 2013 season. It seems Brian McCann has stepped up a bit.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I get this message all of the time, maybe every eighth game or so. Sometimes I follow up with the switch, and sometimes I ignore it. I never thought it to be about the catcher calling a bad game, though; I always thought it was because I often don't throw out my runners (normally it's because I play with the game on mute on Vita and I have no idea when the **** they're running ).

I think I've got the leadership ability one as well. I'll do a screencap of either one the next time I get them, but those were during my 2012 season. I don't think I've received them yet about twenty games into my 2013 season. It seems Brian McCann has stepped up a bit.
I don't think this is it either (though the bit about not "hearing" the steals made me laugh pretty good). I throw out baserunners at a fine ratio (Auto Throwing).

I'd bet money that it's either related to defense in some form or fashion or literally has to do with the success of the pitching staff (maybe posting an ERA above, say, 4.50 over 15 games; or HR allowed being high, or BB ratios, or starter win to loss ratios, or a calculation of the overall pitcher confidence levels being below a certain threshold from the pitching staff, etc, etc).

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 06-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Let's start with passed balls. Go through the boxscores and tally them up. I'll do the same.

Two things:

1. What really confuses me about this message is how the wording of it changes. I can't remember offhand what the exact phrases are, but the first one seems to imply poor defense, while the second one flat out questions the catcher's leadership ability. This one puzzles me!

2. How many games are you into your deepest Franchise? I don't recall seeing this prompt until June-ish. Are you at least that deep in any of your save files? I'm not saying it can't be triggered earlier, I just don't know if this is a message that needs 'time' to manifest.
I may be overlooking it; I do not see a stat for passed balls when I go to the previous games boxscore.

To answer question #2, I am at the 48 game mark in my deepest franchise (Astros). I'm spending all of my time on that one now. My pitching was stupendous in April but May has been dreadful. I'll keep playing and hopefully (well not really) I'll see the message in June.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Rookie

FunkeyMonkey's Arena

OVR: 2

To those people who have gotten this meesage, do you throw the pitches the catcher reccomends? i dont ever even check anymore, i throw whatever i want to during the game and was wondering if this maybe had any effect?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #32
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo22
I may be overlooking it; I do not see a stat for passed balls when I go to the previous games boxscore.

To answer question #2, I am at the 48 game mark in my deepest franchise (Astros). I'm spending all of my time on that one now. My pitching was stupendous in April but May has been dreadful. I'll keep playing and hopefully (well not really) I'll see the message in June.
Passed balls and wild pitches can only be tracked in box scores. I doubt passed balls factor in since they happen very rarely. Even wild pitches don't happen as often as they do IRL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »