Home

MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #41
All Star

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
It's because most gaming websites don't have writers who understand sports. They frequently rate Madden higher than The Show.

Edit: Also, thanks for the kind words, guys.

Madden has been way way overrated since like madden 07 and mlb has been way underrated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 03:59 AM   #42
MVP

Syce's Arena

i like the paragraph about online play, while i have had difference experiences with connections, the opposing player sounds about right, too many play the game like its a arcade game. im more of a simulation type player so going up against players who act ******** to win just turns me away from online games mostly. its probably why i usually will only play online to play in a simulation online league where there are rules and people play the game more like it should.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #43
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic
And let's be honest, as amazing as the crowds and the stadiums look, when we're playing the game we spend most of our time staring at the players. If they take a big step forward with the realism of the player models --- without breaking anything else --- it will have a huge impact on our experience of the game.

It may seem to be ungrateful to ask for more from a game that already looks so great, but games like NBA2K and EA's UFC have raised the bar for how realistic humans can look in a next-gen sports game; in this area, MLB:The Show is still lagging a little behind.
This is what i've been saying since last year,

the players are the center of attention when it comes to graphics for sports games, no matter how you spin it. This is why some people still say the game looks the same as the ps3 version.

And for the player models to be minimally touched since the introduction of the ps4, is pretty bad IMO. Compared to the two games mentioned, NBA 2k and EA UFC, the Show's player models are not where they should be.

With that said, the first two years on ps4, they've done an excellent job with the stadiums, even though they still don't have domed versions of the retractable roof stadiums somehow, so now hopefully they focus more on the players next year.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #44
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I never understand the phrase "take big risks to move forward. "

There isn't a whole lot that I would want to change to enjoy the game.

There is a saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Changing some of the game engines radically could destroy what we love about the game.

I'm hoping that they continue to add refinements and build the game modes to the next levels.

Yep, I agree, just look at what NBA2k typically does each yr they try to add a bunch of new stuff, only to have important modes practically unplayable because of bugs they cant or wont fix. Madden typically screws thing up too each yr.

MLBTS is the only sports game you can count on yearly to be playable early on in the season. Other games sometime stay broke the whole season with so many issue to key modes. Reason why I will buy MLBTS day1, even though I typically don't play it much till OSFM rosters comes out because I know they don't screw things up so bad.

I hope these devs don't fall forth few who whine about not enough new features each yr, or big changes. Ill take a slow improvement that done right from the get go.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 10
Im big on creating players, and being black no game except this years 2k has really done a good job with hair options. I wish every game would just allow us to pick from the hairstyles of the current player's. This would be the easiest way to deal with this feature.

Outside of that, I waited two days juat for the game to install. Some craziness. After waiting, I was just ready to play, and wasnt that blown away. The game felt slow. Even though baseball is a slower paced game, everything aboit this was slow.

I found the fast counts and things got better, found the fast play, and again better... What really excited me about the game was the pitch break. I use to pitch, my brother pitched , we threw curve balls and seeing its break properly is dope.

I hit my first home run with the mariners, it was nic. But i wish they would follow the ball in the air. The ball has no business going out of our view. Thats crazy. And we shouldn't have to watch the ball from the plate. I juat think they stayed vanilla on this. There we're things they left out. And all player's arent wearing the real shoes. Many players wear New Balance, and the necklaces come out the shirts. I mean our hispanic players go hard with the rope chains.

Lastly id realy have liked to see the WBC TEAMS. a full mode or something were we can play as those teams. And a new presentation team karros has to go.

But i bought the download, so I'm stuck. It'll have to grow on me now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #46
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

8.5 - MLB 14 The Show PS4

8.5 - MLB 15 The Show PS4

Now don't get me wrong. 8.5 is super strong. But this years game oozes improvements under the hood that were immediately noticeable. Base runner speed differential, outfielder speed differential, ball spins and breaks, ball physics 4.0. Being able to the ball off your bat was a huge immersion addition IMO. Licensed equipment is massive for immersion. It looks amazing.

But let's talk about what IMO pushes the game to at least a 9.

Online and Diamond Dynasty and manual fielding.

Yes that's right. Online is working. At least for me thus far it has been excellent. I played two online franchise games last night without a hitch. Being able to finally play in 30 man league is a dream and is going to tai this game to a new level for me. While I love my offline franchise, and believe me I will still play it hardcore. Playing online in a sim league with mature players plus the addiction that is now Diamond Dynasty, this game is not leaving my console.

Fielding on this game has finally made the jump I had been waiting for since I started playing the series. And even though I auto field and manual throw on my offline franchise's and classic season replays (for player rating statistical integrity), I love to field now on The Show and am playing online like a monster because fielding is smooth, responsive and down right amazing. FINALLY!!!

I am serious.

I have shelved NBA2K15 and Madden 15. I seriously don't see myself touching those save for an occasional change of pace. Online is working and working well for the most part. At least for me and a ton of my league mates so far.

This game is certainly better than 14 on a lot of levels. It's not perfect. And I don't agree with some presentation design decisions which I have noted in my impression post so no need to re-hash it.

But this is a much better game overall than 14 and deserves the perception of that with at least a 9....not the same score as last years port.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 04-07-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 6

Good review.

The Show is consistently good. It's the best sports franchise period. It's a TRUE SIMULATION unlike other games (cough MADDEN cough) that claim to be a simulation but are more like an arcade game.

Long live THE SHOW!
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #48
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
8.5 - MLB 14 The Show PS4

8.5 - MLB 15 The Show PS4

No don't get me wrong. 8.5 is super strong. But this years game oozes improvements under the hood that were immediately noticeable. Base runner speed differential, outfielder speed differential, ball spins and breaks, ball physics 4.0. Being able to the ball off your bat was a huge immersion addition IMO. Licensed equipment is massive for immersion. It looks amazing.

But let's talk about what IMO pushes the game to at least a 9.

Online and Diamond Dynasty and manual fielding.

Yes that's right. Online is working. At least for me thus far it has been excellent. I played two online franchise games last night without a hitch. Being able to finally play in 30 man league is a dream and is going to tai this game to a new level for me. While I love my offline franchise, and believe me I will still play it hardcore. Playing online in a sim league with mature players plus the addiction that is now Diamond Dynasty, this game is not leaving my console.

Fielding on this game has finally made the jump I had been waiting for since I started playing the series. And even though I auto field and manual throw on my offline franchise's and classic season replays (for player rating statistical integrity), I love to field now on The Show and am playing online like a monster because fielding is smooth, responsive and down right amazing. FINALLY!!!

I am serious.

I have shelved NBA2K15 and Madden 15. I seriously don't see myself touching those save for an occasional change of pace. Online is working and working well for the most part. At least for me and a ton of my league mates so far.

This game is certainly better than 14 on a lot of levels. It's not perfect. And I don't agree with some presentation design decisions which I have noted in my impression post so no need to re-hash it.

But this is a much better game overall than 14 and deserves the perception of that with at least a 9....not the same score as last years port.
I agree that it's much better than '14, but it's impossible to review sports games that way. The game making improvements every year has to be assumed, otherwise we wouldnt be buying it.

That said, I really do think you're right. Granted, I didn't review '14 for OS but I wouldn't have given it an 8.5. Not to say whoever did was wrong, obviously, but my sense is that '15 is a much more polished and well-rounded title than '14.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »