Home

Hyperbole in ratings...

This is a discussion on Hyperbole in ratings... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #57
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hyperbole in ratings...

Their aren't many times numbers lie, but I will tell you straight up that they are not indicative of Okafor's skill all-around.

I live in Philly, I live for basketball, and I just so happen to have watched almost every Sixers game for the past 15 years of my life...

let's not mention I've played for both good, and bad teams so I can attest to what I'm about to say with first-hand experience.

Okafor is the type of player who plays a lot better when the game matters. Other players go out and get "garbage stats", yet Okafor would rather score when it's a 5 point game, not 25.
I've seen him locked in defensively, rotating and moving his feet...a lot more when it matters than when it doesn't.

You try and be a 7' rookie getting doubled every touch, meanwhile you got Robert Covington as the only guy who can hit a freakin shot.
No guard to initiate the offense, and get in a set to put you in a good position to score...

9 times outta 10, because of how poor this team is put together and playing, Jah gets the ball at about 20 feet from the rim, with less than 10 seconds left on the clock. Forcing him to faceup and drive into defenders...which he's actually pretty good at but he's a lot better in the actually post on the block.

He doesn't rebound as well as he does some nights, because when they start experimenting with weird lineups and he's out on the perimeter switching onto shooters he's in terrible positioning to grab a board. But even so, he still gets enough to be a serviceable rebounder as a rookie.

Same as above, it's hard to block shots covering the PF outside of the paint...but when someone takes it straight to him he's shown an ability to be like Roy Hibbert and play straight up defense and get blocks without jumping.

You can learn defense when you're 7' 260 and have long arms. No one's gonna bully him, and no one can shoot over top of him...he'll learn that soon.

One thing he has that no other rookies do? The offensive ability to DOMINATE someone. Porzingis is weak defensively, Jah showed that. KAT isn't a center, at least not a true one. And Okafor bullied him too.

When you got the reigning ROY, shooters, and a guard like Rubio looking for you 100% it's simple.
When you got Melo, Afflalo, a guy like Lopez to cover up for you on D, and again..a guard like Calderon...simple.

When you got Isaiah Cannan who can't pass or do anything but gun, no point guard play whatsoever, Nerlens who (I love) but can't play pf....it's simple, wait, no....it's a disaster.

And this is why you have to actually watch games to truly speak on what the numbers are showing. I take Okafor over them two any day of the week. You can all disagree but the numbers aren't always showing the whole story.

-Allen Iverson
Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #58
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
How does drose have a 60 middy again?

http://i.imgur.com/JzlHKXa.jpg
They probably are using a combination of NBA.com and BBreference because BBreference doesn't break things down by moving and stationary
Old 12-22-2015, 03:04 AM   #59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger Jack
Yea gotta agree that's probably going to go down as the dumbest thing I've seen all day. When you talk about Towns who has Rubio dishing, has Lavine to kick out to, has Wiggins to kick out to, has GARNETT as a mentor, has PRINCE on the wing...I mean he is free to do WHATEVER he wants with the opposing team paying him virtually no attention...

Move over to Porzingis again, you got Melo, you have Calderon, you have AFFLALO I mean is anyone Triple-teaming Porzingis? With Melo on the court? (I guess I shouldn't expect you to know the answer to that question because clearly you'd rather stare at a stat sheet than watch a basketball game but I digress).

Okafor is the only player who is facing double and triple teams night in and night out, he has a MUCH heavier load to carry and again (reading comprehension ftw) COMPARED TO THE OTHER ROOKIES Okafor is still dominating...and I mean have you seen Nerlens? He's terrible, and anyone that thinks Towns or Porzingis would change that just doesn't know basketball tbh.

Here's some gameplay footage from the sport you clearly don't watch.

But Porzingis is better right?

thank you for spelling that out. i didnt have the energy to do so lol. i dont see how one could make such a ludicrous statement tbh. you simply have to take into account the other pieces. KAT and KP have pieces around them. benches. coaches with systems. this cant be overlooked bc one wants to make a point so bad. Okafor has no culture in philly right now. no winning mentality. no mentor. no help. no nothing. he's virtually the only offensive threat and defenses hone in on him, night in, night out. there have been many games where KP performs with mediocrity, but the knicks still prevail. why? cus melo, calderon, galloway, afflalo, bench, etc. same in minnesota as you pointed out. i mean even down to gorgui deng who puts together decent, yet meaningful minutes. KP or KAT would just drop into a piss poor organization and turn it around with negative help? i say a person with that argument hasnt watched the game with any detail or historical context at all.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #60
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
They probably are using a combination of NBA.com and BBreference because BBreference doesn't break things down by moving and stationary
His moving and standing are both around 60
Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #61
Rookie

Going back to the original argument of Dirk's Midrange rating of 89 compared to Porzingis' mid range of 91. I believe even though Dirk has the lower rating he will shoot better during gameplay. I had the same issue with Kawhi Leonard who currently has the 2nd highest 3 point rating in the game at 92. He has a higher 3 point rating than Klay Thompson which bothered me at first however I realized while actually playing the game Klay will hit more 3s. The reason is "Tendency" Ratings. 2k can rate actual attributes using real life %. But this doesn't account for volume, degree of difficulty and overall skill level. Because I'm sure anyone who understands basketball will select Klay as the better 3 point shooter. Same goes for Dirk, his mid range might be rated lower but his tendency is 95 from mid range while Porzingis is a lot lower. I believe this accounts for some of the intangible circumstances that % based statistics cannot account for so even though the actual rating is lower it is balanced a little by the Tendency rating.

Last edited by ALpineNM; 12-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALpineNM
Going back to the original argument of Dirk's Midrange rating of 89 compared to Porzingis' mid range of 91. I believe even though Dirk has the lower rating he will shoot better during gameplay. I had the same issue with Kawhi Leonard who currently has the 2nd highest 3 point rating in the game at 92. He has a higher 3 point rating than Klay Thompson which bothered me at first however I realized while actually playing the game Klay will hit more 3s. The reason is "Tendency" Ratings. 2k can rate actual attributes using real life %. But this doesn't account for volume, degree of difficulty and overall skill level. Because I'm sure anyone who understands basketball will select Klay as the better 3 point shooter. Same goes for Dirk, his mid range might be rated lower but his tendency is 95 from mid range while Porzingis is a lot lower. I believe this accounts for some of the intangible circumstances that % based statistics cannot account for so even though the actual rating is lower it is balanced a little by the Tenancy rating.
No, it's all the badges Dirk has.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #63
Pro

Some of you are pretending that Okafor didn't have problems with defending and rebounding in college on a stacked team.
That's why he dropped from first in the draft.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #64
MVP

stlpimpmonsta's Arena

OVR: 11
Hyperbole in ratings...

Man people are really going out of their way to defend a player on a team with one win at the end of December? Okafor is a good OFFENSIVE player but ya going "he plays better when it matters" need to keep that junk to yourselves. Especially since many of their loses the sixers were within single digits in the 4th. Where was he then? Guess it didn't matter. Point being as that despite his offensive game (which he isn't even doing effectively) his defense is soo bad that the offense he gives doesn't even matter. Porzingas and Towns overall games are just slightly better right now because they are net positives for their teams and no it not just because of the team/talent they're playing with.

On the Rose thing I feel he needs to be at least in the low 70s when it comes to the mid range ratings.

from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stlpimpmonsta; 12-22-2015 at 12:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »