Home

Test: Dribble Penetration

This is a discussion on Test: Dribble Penetration within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #41
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Test: Dribble Penetration

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Nice.

And I am 100% these are the types of misses folks are referring to when they claim, "Too many missed layups in 2K18."
Speaking of missed layups._._
Its kind of ironic its being said on the 10 year anniversary of 2K8, lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #42
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Maybe 2K fears if this was in place it would "ruin" the H2H element of the game and cause too many whistles? Anything foul related, I assume they don't want to put it at a realistic clip to prevent too many delays in game progression.
Nah you the man, DC....as always.

And I hear that....we both know nothing changes behavior like consequences does. You still see some idiots going for chase-downs but its not as many as before...in a month it'll be even less. Why? Because they'll know how low the chances of a chase-down are versus how high the chances of a foul are.

If you blow the whistle and penalize behavior--people will stop doing it. That or they'll watch the opponent shoot FTs at the 3 min mark of the each quarter. It won't take them long to get hip.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #43
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Again, I agree with the overall premise....

but I do feel feel like as far as human vs human goes, when you factor in help defense etc...reckless driving results in more bad plays than good...

https://streamable.com/8i30x
Thats for guys like us who know 1) 80% of these guys is gonna try to go baseline 2) Our help is middle...and 3) we'll use angles and other defenders to pinch these guys so they're driving lanes are tinier than usual....meanwhile the shot-clock is inside ten by this time lol.

The casual user isn't gonna do any of that....but even still, guys can't be turboing into solid, good and elite defenders--and especially not getting rewarded by drawing fouls. With no risk of charges?...thats bad balance any way you slice it. When its someone as good as you? Them being able to exploit that is gonna be the difference...

Played this clown who had POR last night. Little rude mfer...was in his feelings and kept calling me a b@tch anytime he scored in the 4th. (thought he was owed a win because he was good or something...who knows?) So he insists on trying to come at Redick--because like alot of guys he thinks i'm hiding...long story short: Evan Turner ends up going like 2-14 (less shots for CJ and Dame..advantage me) and he quits after we get a late stop in the fourth...So I agree, skilled users are gonna be solid. My issue is the balance is gonna mean guys like Harden, Derozan, Westbrook and PG are gonna be even more dominant because they can just turbo into you....add more risk, have the ball poked away or lost due to contact, call some charges...make them have to think.

The game is beautiful and plays like a dream....making driving more balanced and seeing less makes from long distance from bad shooters is only gonna make it more EPIC.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-21-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #44
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
As usual, well done Kushmir. Always providing EVIDENCE to your claims. Wish everyone did that with their complaints.

But to answer a question about Point #2

Maybe 2K fears if this was in place it would "ruin" the H2H element of the game and cause too many whistles? Anything foul related, I assume they don't want to put it at a realistic clip to prevent too many delays in game progression.
Unless they a sim lobby, I agree that they are going to sacrifice realism in this area for so called, "fun factor" and not to alienate to many of their H2H customers.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #45
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Nice.

And I am 100% these are the types of misses folks are referring to when they claim, "Too many missed layups in 2K18."
😑

EXACTLY. "*whiny voice* "There's no way KAT should be missing those contested layups! This needs fixing."

I almost don't wanna say anything because I feel like i'm gonna jinx it...but remember when I wrote this: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2016/11/to...t-to-dunk.html

There's less dunks (which I love) and turbo isn't always dunk (even when there's an open lane) and I frigging love it. I'm shocked every day that goes by that the "control guys" haven't marched down to Novato and burned down 2K headquarters 😂😂😂 Its why I think they gotta put more balance and other good mechanics in....dudes ain't gonna do nothing but whine for a week and then adjust. #morebasketballplease

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheArc88
I knew someone would post some nonsense like this. If a guy keeps blowing past you, back up. You cant bump someone to keep thrm from driving.

Pick your posion and learn how to defend
Irl players use angles to get defenders on their hips. If you must run into a player head on that's a charge more often then not. All op is saying is that there is no balance.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #47
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

For the life of me i'm speechless looking at this thread and realizing that people were defending the infamous "defender on your hip" animation (and dribble penetration in general) when the game came out.

Soooooooooo how'd that turn out? anybody know?

I hate being the I-told-you-so-guy....but I did.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #48
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
For the life of me i'm speechless looking at this thread and realizing that people were defending the infamous "defender on your hip" animation (and dribble penetration in general) when the game came out.

Soooooooooo how'd that turn out? anybody know?

I hate being the I-told-you-so-guy....but I did.
Great bump Kushmir. I was undecided at launch how I felt about this but now it's clear as day that dribble penetration is way over the top this year.

The defense of 2K16/2K17 needs to return. The dribble penetration animation needs to be reserved exclusively for LATE and/or HARD closeouts at the 3 point line that see the ball handler put the ball on the floor while the defender's momentum leaves him back pedaling. (Or in general, any time a defender arrives late from an incorrect angle).

No player should be able to get by a defender standing still in a good defensive stance just by running straight to the basket unless it's a DRASTIC speed/strength advantage like Pau Gasol on Kyrie or Isaiah Thomas on Giannis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »