Home

NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #3945
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

Hey Matt,
still fighting the good fight I see,well just to let ya know......

Picking up the game again tonight on PSN,so get ready to have your work scrutinized to hell and back....

“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #3946
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Hey Matt,

Picking up the game again tonight on PSN,so get ready to have your work scrutinized to hell and back....

ermahgerd cowher!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #3947
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Hey Matt,

Welcome back Cowher!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #3948
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Following a discussion Matt and I had via PM, I am trying to see if there is an impact on changing the Coaching Defensive Run/Pass Ratio. I have NOT tried this in-game, but wanted to see how it might impact the sim stats. All coaches were globally changed to a 50/50 run-pass ratio for Defense. If the numbers look good, I might consider to see how this plays in-game. The idea is to see if we can leverage this to get better pass defense without changing the slider settings (perhaps with a balanced setting, they will play to the opposing team's strengths). This may or may not impact the run game, but I think we could address that if needed. Here are the results. Note: all other previous changes are still in effect. For ease, here they are

• Stamina dropped by 30 for all HBs
  • Coaching Aggression set to 50 for both offense and defense (all coaches)
  • Pass/Run ratio set to 50/50 for all coaches (defense only)
The numbers following 1 sim:

• 44 players with over 200 rushing attempts (44 IRL)
  • 2 players with over 300 rushing attempts (6 HBs IRL)
  • 61 players with over 1000 rushing yards (50 IRL)
  • 1 player with 2000 rushing yards (1 IRL)
  • Top receiver (catches) - 85 (131 IRL)
  • Top receiver (yards) - 1389 (1731 IRL)
  • Number of 1000 yard receivers - 14 (43 IRL)
  • Most passing yards - 3491 (5083 IRL)
  • Number of 3000 yard passers - 7 (31 IRL)
  • Number of QBs with 60%+ completion percentage - 15 (69 IRL)
The numbers are very comparable to past sims and didn't have a major impact on the overall numbers, although there was a slight uptick in passing numbers; but not enough to not consider it statistical variability. There was a very odd top 25 though, only a couple of teams with 1 loss (one undefeated team - ECU), and several powerhouses (Ohio State, Bama, LSU, Auburn, FSU, etc.) with three or more losses. Again, maybe a coincidence...

Going to play a couple of games to see what I think....

I'm going to try a game or two and just see (OP slider set with PCV at 80 for both sides).
I ran a few experiments and I am not vouching that changing the coaching pass-run ratio to 50:50 (on defense) makes the game play better. However, I do believe that teams play more towards their opponent's coaches tendencies. If your team favors the pass, they play more towards the pass, if you favor the run, they play towards the run. I also think that goal line play calling may be enhanced.

I ran a little experiment using Navy. I played some with their natural tendencies (20:80 towards the run). The defense was geared-up towards the run, with more limited blitzing (limited in that they maybe rushed 5). Play action or straight pass plays were a little more wide open as well. I started the game over; this time after edited all of Navy's coaches to 85:15 in favor of passing. I saw more pass-oriented defensive play calls than before; I could actually run on them again. I don't think it affected the players at all, but just the plays called. Of course, even a slight enhancement in the play calling can make things go a bit better.

I don't think slider changes would be necessary if one were to implement this philosophy. However, if play-action became too powerful, I'd be tempted to bump up the CPU run defense slider by 5 or 10 points to cause them to "bite" less on it.

In my continuing efforts to avoid constantly having to change coach ratings before and after games (because I am a lazy SOB), I ran another simulation with all coaches adjusted (same as the quoted post).

Here are the results (same as before - through 12 games - not counting conf. championship games or bowl games):

(Note that all of these sims were done with Buffeyes roster, which modestly lowers THA for QBs)
  • 43 players with over 200 rushing attempts (44 IRL)
  • 0 players with over 300 rushing attempts (6 HBs IRL)
  • 61 players with over 1000 rushing yards (50 IRL)
  • 0 players with 2000 rushing yards (1 IRL)
  • Top receiver (catches) - 88 (131 IRL)
  • Top receiver (yards) - 1202 (1731 IRL)
  • Number of 1000 yard receivers - 6 (43 IRL)
  • Most passing yards - 3446 (5083 IRL)
  • Number of 3000 yard passers - 5 (31 IRL)
  • Number of QBs with 60%+ completion percentage - 14 (69 IRL)
All-in-all, numbers are reasonably stable. I think it would be safe to make this change globally to see how well it works with this slider set.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #3949
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

So Josh, it looks like only changing the run/pass ratio for defense will increase the CPU's strategy even more? I will put this to the test in-game right now. I've also changed a couple things on the slider set. 35threshold, but lowered PCV to 5/5 and OPI/DPI to 100/100. We will see.

Watch live video from Matt10l on www.twitch.tv

Last edited by Matt10; 06-20-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #3950
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Okay, guys. Cowher and I have been testing all night - only focusing on getting this pass coverage thing down. The good news is, no change in threshold. I tried to raise threshold by myself earlier, and what was crazy is that on 35 - the speed difference was gone. 81 speed LB catching up to a 91 spd WR - not right.

So, here it is. And the big number is INT @ 100. Yes. This is key. Now you really have to be smart with the football. Find your open receivers - and if you are going to take a chance you better ask yourself:

- Can my QB make this throw based on his ratings?
- Can I put the right "touch" on this pass?
- Is my player in traffic? If so, he could get the ball jarred loose or intercepted.

This really does force you to think through your progression. The pressure is there - and the CPU QB's play to their rating. There is a huge difference between a 98 THA with a 88 THA now. The User coverage is better, but not automatic 3 and out.

Enjoy - and give it some games before deciding to change anything - we are confident you will enjoy this long term.

Last edited by Matt10; 06-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #3951
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

I also wanted to back up what Matt was saying. When I jumped back into the fray after being gone for a while,Matt expressed his concern to me....the pass coverage.

I simply told him that I am confident that we can get it to a respectable level without feeling cheap,and what we have come up with is exactly that.

Also as Matt has pointed out,the 100 int does not simply mean that EVERYthing will be an automatic int,it also plays into the db's aggressiveness in going for the ball.
This post is pretty much going to mirror and reflect what Matt already outlined,as I have seen the results first hand and have seen how much better the game looks and plays.

What I can't express enough though,patience is going to be the key here....if you want to chuck it up all day with no thought to consequence,these will not be for you.
But if you want to play a game of football to where you have to be patient and pick your spots,these are your sliders.

Don't give up to soon folks,and if there's any questions you may have please don't hesitate to ask.

But do us a favor though....don't just play a few series' and complain right away,because that doesn't help us....give the game time to "open" up,and I guarantee you the results will speak for themselves.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #3952
Rookie

OVR: 0

Matt-- I forgot to save that previously played game between the Tide and the Tigers.
I played it agian last night, w/ 65 PCV, 48 threshold, and 15/0 opi-dpi. All American-All American.

It was an INCREDIBLE GAME. Played in coach mode/ 1 button with auto pass on...

Look at these numbers... TIGERS- 28 TIDE- 30.

Bama jumped to a 21-0 lead early in the 2nd.
Tigers scored 14 in the 2nd qtr. Tigers down 21-14 at the half.
Bama tacks on 3 in the 3rd. 24-14 Tide heading to the 4th.
Wright scores on a 25 yd. td pass with 6:25 left in game.... now 24-21 Tide.
Foster hits a 27 yard FG with 1:54 left. Tide up 27-21.
Mettenberger then strikes for his 4th td pass with 1:10 left to give the Tigers a 28-27 lead.
McCarron then gets the Tide into FG position and the win!

TIGERS scored w/ 1:10 left on a 42 yd strike to Boone. He beat Fulton 1 on 1. Good coverage, better throw and catch.

BAMA drove to the TIGER 13 where Foster hit a 30 yd FG for the win. Hill ran 6x for 30 yds. and was knocked out of the game in the 1st qtr.

Lsu 18 1st downs/ Bama 25

Lsu 70 plays- 410 yds- 5.9 ave/ Bama 78- 496- 6.4

Lsu- 28 runs- 65 yds- 2.3 ave/ Bama 40- 210- 5.2

Lsu- 42 pass att.- 30 comp.- 345 yds.-71%/ Bama 38-22- 286- 58%

Lsu- 11.4 yds per completion/ Bama 13.0

Lsu- 2 sacks/ Bama 2 sacks

Lsu- 5 drops/ Bama 9 (played in a rainstorm)--some huge hits by secondary forcing these drops

Lsu- 40% on 3rd down/ Bama 50%

Lsu- 0 turnovers/ Bama 1 (Drake fumble)

Lsu- 3-20 penalties/ Bama 2-30

Lsu- 434 total yds/ Bama- 629

RB's:
Lsu-
Hill 6-30- 5.0
Blue 11-10- 0.9
Mettenberger 9-25- 2.7

Bama-
T.J. 23-137- 5.9
Drake 10-54- 5.4
Henry 4-32- 8.0

WR's:
Lsu-
Boone 8-106- 13.2
Dickson 6-48- 8.0
Landry 4-65- 16.2
Wright 4-63- 15.7
Magee 2-29- 14.5
Beckham 2-21- 10.5

Bama-
Howard 5-37- 7.4
T.J. 5-28- 5.6
Cooper 3-72- 24.0
Jones 2-47- 23.5
White 4-46- 11.5
Norwood 3-56- 18.6

Last edited by 32jack; 06-21-2014 at 06:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »