Home

50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

This is a discussion on 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14 within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #761
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
But, I have been looking at some very different approaches based on what I have learned about this game (including looking at All American as a very real option).

Cant wait to hear what comes of this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #762
Rookie

BlackRain37's Arena

OVR: 1

Josh, are you still on board that 55 is the best threshold for the game? I still have times where DE's and DT's will catch RBs from behind. Though its usually from an angle, but its still an angle that they realistically shouldn't catch them on. And I've lost count how many times I've seen either my guy or the CPU get tripped up by the famed shoestring tackle.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #763
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRain37
Josh, are you still on board that 55 is the best threshold for the game? I still have times where DE's and DT's will catch RBs from behind. Though its usually from an angle, but its still an angle that they realistically shouldn't catch them on. And I've lost count how many times I've seen either my guy or the CPU get tripped up by the famed shoestring tackle.

For heisman difficulty I am....

I'm currently looking at 50 for some work I'm doing for an all American setup though.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #764
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
For heisman difficulty I am....

I'm currently looking at 50 for some work I'm doing for an all American setup though.

Looking forward to seeing that I've been using this set as a base. Was wondering why you have face mask 3 points lower on dynasty vs. the main menu? I recently did somethin similar on my dynasty and seems like the tackling animations improved. Thx

Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #765
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I've been working for the past several weeks off and on to create a setup for NCAA which provides a more balanced and ratings-based experience. The biggest issue with this game (as with all the EA football games) is that adjusting sliders affects CPU play-calling behavior and results in a number of imbalances in player performance that results in a skewed one-way outcome for the various matchups. As such, I determined that I was going to go all-in with default gameplay and penalty sliders and conducted a number of trials.

In these trials, I came to one inescapable conclusion, Heisman is not the way to go. Heisman difficulty results in a number of issues which start us down the "slider spiral"....in short, players are overly aggressive, which leads to a lot of weird things like
  • "WWE tackles"
  • Defenders constantly overrunning plays (opening-up the read option)
  • O-linemen getting "the big push" where they can push a guy 5 yards downfield
  • Over-aggression in coverage, leading poor overall coverage and animation issues.
All of these things are issues that necessitate slider adjustments in order for the game to play reasonably well. Heck, we even went down the road of coach aggression adjustments in a vain effort to massage the problem. But, as my friend Matt10 taught me, look at the animations and fix the problem as directly as possible. So...here we go....we have issues...we're going to fix the problem....bye bye Heisman; Hello All American....and hear come the cries of, "But All American is too easy...sniffle...sniffle.".

Before this new round of testing, I last played All American 3-4 years ago. What have we learned since then that can help us?
  • HFA is a "keep games close" feature and is better when it is turned off.
  • The game plays tougher with the Main Menu fatigue slider turned "off"
  • The coach Sub Frequency is really a fatigue slider and directly impacts how well the CPU plays. We have found that a "default" value of 50 works best.
  • Use of offsetting game speeds between Main Menu and Dynasty can yield better results. More on this below...
  • Autosubs have a direct effect on gameplay. More on this below....

So, aside from the last two, this really is all pretty standard fare relative to my past work.

Game speeds: This worked really well on Madden and while I am not 100% on NCAA, the use of Main Menu speed at slow and Dynasty at normal works very well. I believe that when the two game speeds are identical, that the AI speed is "off" from the animation speed (so, you get QBs looking to throw to a receiver when he is only halfway through his route). By setting the main menu speed a notch slower, I believe that this tightens the gap and makes the CPU much more effective in targetting receivers.

Autosubs: I've said before that gameplay is most balanced when all of them are set to the same values. But here, let me throw a wrench into things. Default is not 60/80; but if you start with a brand new profile, it is actually 65/80! This was completely unexpected, but it got me going down the path of "which is default"? Well, I've played around with various settings for the last couple of months and frankly, I am still playing around with them a bit. I've played with 3 primary settings; 49/50, 60/80, and 65/80. I don't care much for 65/80; it feels a bit too "video-gamey" and I have ruled it out pretty quickly. Now 60/80 is very solid and if someone wanted to go down this direction, I wouldn't blame them.

But the autosub setting that has intrigued me is the 49/50 (which I pilfered from Madden's CFM setting). The most over-used word here is "organic"...but I am going to use it here...it feels organic. Tackling animations have variety, you see a good number of missed throws for the CPU (even though QBA is at 50), running backs have some "swerve", and because of the lower Autosub "In" value, the footplanting is much better overall.

Final Thoughts before I post the set....
  • This set is designed to provide a ratings-based experience. That means, if you have a dominant team, you will probably dominate (as you probably do on Heisman anyways). But...I also think that if you play a truly "sim" style, that you will still have a lot of fun here. I'm playing without any house rules and I have won big, won close, lost close, and been blown out. Matchups matter, but you still get that variety.
  • Also....this is the kind of set you need to play quite a few games to really appreciate. The difficulty here is deceptive. I tried the exact same setup on Heisman...and frankly, I thought it was easier because of the aforementioned issues on Heisman.
  • I have not tested on CPUvCPU or Coach Mode nor will I...don't ask me about how it plays on those modes. Also, I primarily use the d-linemen at the start of the play and then switch, if needed, later on. If you solely user a LB or DB, I have no idea how this will work.
  • Do not ask me about slider changes....the whole premise is to NOT adjust the sliders. I think if you play sim, give these a really long shot and just enjoy it without worrying about stats; I think many people will enjoy these.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (45.2 KB, 156 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #766
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
I've been working for the past several weeks off and on to create a setup for NCAA which provides a more balanced and ratings-based experience. The biggest issue with this game (as with all the EA football games) is that adjusting sliders affects CPU play-calling behavior and results in a number of imbalances in player performance that results in a skewed one-way outcome for the various matchups. As such, I determined that I was going to go all-in with default gameplay and penalty sliders and conducted a number of trials.

In these trials, I came to one inescapable conclusion, Heisman is not the way to go. Heisman difficulty results in a number of issues which start us down the "slider spiral"....in short, players are overly aggressive, which leads to a lot of weird things like
  • "WWE tackles"
  • Over-aggression in coverage, leading poor overall coverage and animation issues.
All of these things are issues that necessitate slider adjustments in order for the game to play reasonably well. Heck, we even went down the road of coach aggression adjustments in a vain effort to massage the problem. But, as my friend Matt10 taught me, look at the animations and fix the problem as directly as possible. So...here we go....we have issues...we're going to fix the problem....bye bye Heisman; Hello All American....and hear come the cries of, "But All American is too easy...sniffle...sniffle.".

Before this new round of testing, I last played All American 3-4 years ago. What have we learned since then that can help us?
  • The coach Sub Frequency is really a fatigue slider and directly impacts how well the CPU plays. We have found that a "default" value of 50 works best.
  • Use of offsetting game speeds between Main Menu and Dynasty can yield better results. More on this below...

So, aside from the last two, this really is all pretty standard fare relative to my past work.

Game speeds: This worked really well on Madden and while I am not 100% on NCAA, the use of Main Menu speed at slow and Dynasty at normal works very well. I believe that when the two game speeds are identical, that the AI speed is "off" from the animation speed (so, you get QBs looking to throw to a receiver when he is only halfway through his route). By setting the main menu speed a notch slower, I believe that this tightens the gap and makes the CPU much more effective in targetting receivers.

Autosubs: I've said before that gameplay is most balanced when all of them are set to the same values. But here, let me throw a wrench into things. Default is not 60/80; but if you start with a brand new profile, it is actually 65/80! This was completely unexpected, but it got me going down the path of "which is default"? Well, I've played around with various settings for the last couple of months and frankly, I am still playing around with them a bit. I've played with 3 primary settings; 49/50, 60/80, and 65/80. I don't care much for 65/80; it feels a bit too "video-gamey" and I have ruled it out pretty quickly. Now 60/80 is very solid and if someone wanted to go down this direction, I wouldn't blame them.

But the autosub setting that has intrigued me is the 49/50 (which I pilfered from Madden's CFM setting). The most over-used word here is "organic"...but I am going to use it here...it feels organic. Tackling animations have variety, you see a good number of missed throws for the CPU (even though QBA is at 50), running backs have some "swerve", and because of the lower Autosub "In" value, the footplanting is much better overall.

• This set is designed to provide a ratings-based experience. That means, if you have a dominant team, you will probably dominate (as you probably do on Heisman anyways). But...I also think that if you play a truly "sim" style, that you will still have a lot of fun here. I'm playing without any house rules and I have won big, won close, lost close, and been blown out. Matchups matter, but you still get that variety.
  • Also....this is the kind of set you need to play quite a few games to really appreciate. The difficulty here is deceptive. I tried the exact same setup on Heisman...and frankly, I thought it was easier because of the aforementioned issues on Heisman.
  • I have not tested on CPUvCPU or Coach Mode nor will I...don't ask me about how it plays on those modes. Also, I primarily use the d-linemen at the start of the play and then switch, if needed, later on. If you solely user a LB or DB, I have no idea how this will work.
  • Do not ask me about slider changes....the whole premise is to NOT adjust the sliders. I think if you play sim, give these a really long shot and just enjoy it without worrying about stats; I think many people will enjoy these.
Josh, thank you so much for the continued testing here and with madden. You've saved my interest in both and just in time for the upcoming seasons. Can't wait to test these bad boys out!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #767
Rookie

OVR: 0

Wow I just started a dynasty with OK State and have amazing results with these. Didn't make a new profile though. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #768
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

• "WWE tackles"

Anyone having trouble with the attachment? Can't wait to give these a shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »