Home

Jacksonville Jaguars

This is a discussion on Jacksonville Jaguars within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #457
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Jacksonville Jaguars

Luck is, in fact, out. A win here could be absolutely huge. We could actually be alone in first place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #458
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

time for changes

team is poorly coached
Old 10-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #459
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
time for changes

team is poorly coached
Fully agreed.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #460
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

I think the biggest issue is the oline, especially Joekel. Got no pressure in the second half. And then still missed 2 game winning field goals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #461
Rookie

OVR: 0

Our pass rush is a joke.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #462
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

ESPN article on the Jags an "overreaction Monday"

On Jason Myers:

Quote:
Granted, missing the 48-yard attempt wasn’t good, especially because it was indoors on turf. According to ESPN Stats & Information, NFL kickers made 71.2 percent of field-goal attempts of 45-48 yards in 2014. However, Scobee struggled since being traded to Pittsburgh, making only 6 of 10 field-goal attempts and missing an extra point before he was released Saturday, and he’s also dealing with a quad strain that may take several weeks to heal. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Jaguars work out some free-agent kickers, but they have to be careful with Myers’ psyche. If the Jaguars are indeed committed to Myers, as GM David Caldwell said when he traded Scobee to Pittsburgh, then bringing in tryout guys would be a sign the team doesn’t have confidence in him -- the last feeling you want a kicker to have.
On Gus Bradley

Quote:
Has Bradley made some questionable decisions in personnel and during games? Yes. Has he made mistakes? Absolutely. But if you take an honest look at the roster, you’ll see there aren’t many good players. It’s comprised mostly of average players, below-average players and several players who have a chance to be above average or even good players in a year or so. The only proven player is TE Julius Thomas, and he’s hurt. Most every team’s roster is comprised largely of average players who are inconsistent and don’t make plays to win games. Good teams, however, have several great players, and that’s what makes the difference. The Jaguars don’t have great players, and firing Bradley won’t change that. Good coaches find a way to get the most out of their players, but Bradley hasn’t done that on a consistent basis. Besides, before the season began I expected the Jaguars to be 1-3 at this point, so this record shouldn’t be a surprise.
On the pass rush:

Quote:
Somebody reading this is going to think, "Bring back Cap Capi." No. He’s not the answer. The problem is that there aren’t viable options available on the street at this point, so the only option would be a trade. That’s not as easy as everyone thinks, though. You’ve got to find a team willing to trade, and if you want a big-time pass-rusher you’ve got to come up with a significant offer because there aren’t many of those guys around. Right now, draft picks are still so valuable for the Jaguars in their rebuild that they cannot afford to part with many. They had a chance with Aldon Smith and could have offered him more money than any other team because they have the most cap space, but that didn’t materialize. So the best and most logical thing to do at this point is try to scheme up pressure with blitzes. Plus, DT Sen’Derrick Marks will be returning in a few weeks and he will beef up the interior rush significantly.
To me, you have to stick with Myers a little longer. His misses, while painful, aren't chip shots. For the pass rush, there isn't much to be done. And it wasn't great in the 2nd half, but overall, it's been okay. 9 sacks puts us in a tie for 8th in the league, and we did have 3 yesterday. Getting Marks back will help. Having Fowler will be huge for next year, but that doesn't help here.

My issue is Bradley/Caldwell. I actually give Bradley a little more of a break. But he has to do something this year. I don't necessarily put a ton into penalties. Seattle led the league in penalties last year and the year before. Denver was 4th last year. It's a side effect of playing fast and aggressive. It's a style choice, and knowing where Bradley came from, it should have been expected. But he's got to get more out of this team, marginal talent or not. Defense is supposed to be his thing, and it has continually underachieved. But the talent level, here in year 3 of a rebuild, is simply not good enough. Let's talk about long term prospects: I see 6 good players on the roster defensively; Cyprien, Posluszny, Telvin Smith, Odrick, Marks, and Fowler. 2 of those aren't playing. Fowler is the only one that can be "great". Three years in and you only have half of a good defense, and one of those, probably your best one, you inherited. And another hasn't played a down. On offense, I see maaayybee 6. Robinson and Linder are both good (though Linder is now out for the year). Maybe Parnell can gel better. Thomas is obviously great. Yeldon has shown improvement from game to game. And Bortles has made a pretty big leap from year 1 to year 2. After 17 int last year, he has 3 this year, and only 1 since the opener. His Total QBR has doubled and is now that of a slightly better than average QB, and is very close to that of the Mannings, Brees, and Russell Wilson. But that's it, and even that is a stretch.

I think Caldwell has to go after this year, an thus probably Bradley, barring huge improvement. Joeckel is terrible. Bortles can still look good, but you could've had Khalil Mack and David Carr instead of Bortles and Marqise Lee. I like Bortles, but Carr is better at this point. And that's not a shock, a lot of people liked Carr. To have a top 3 pick 3 years in a row, and still be in this position talent wise is not good.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #463
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Myers was a concern for me, but I did agree that Scobee was done and would need to be replaced. He just isn't consistent and if you watch his kicks, they move way too much. One kick will move left, the next will move right. He also misses kicks during warm ups. I've never seen a kicker miss as many kicks as he can in warm ups. You have to let him kick the whole year and then decide for next year. Ideally he would be on the practice squad, but you can't carry a kicker there and he may get signed somewhere else.

I don't think the roster is the problem.

Coughlin had an expansion team competing in year 2 and year 1 may have been better than Gus' results. There weren't any stars on those teams either, younger players who got better.

Gus is not focused on details and is more about making everyone feel good, upbeat, and being friends. It all comes down to coaching. Look at the 2nd half stats on the offense. Bortles and the offense have struggled mightily in the 2nd half because the other teams make adjustments and Gus does whatever at half time, maybe he is having an ice cream party or something. The 1st and 2nd half stats are shocking.

The defense while not getting any pressure is still not allowing a lot of points. They aren't getting pressure because of the design. The run the same crap, so teams can adjust to the DL quickly. They are playing a lot of zone, but they leave Poz out there and he can't cover anything. It does help to stop the big plays, but leaves underneath and the middle open.

Gus is clearly in over his head and nothing has improved from the coaching. The same issues exist today as they did in year 1 with Gus. The players are better and I have no doubt that old TC would have this team competing for the division.

At the start of the year 1-3 was expected, but if you look at the games and how the other teams are playing, a good coach would have the Jags at 3-1.

Caldwell should be kept as he is improving the roster. I don't think Carr is better than Bortles, its the coaching that is lacking. Need someone who gameplans around the talents of the team and is able to coach.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #464
Pro

OVR: 6

The Jags need better players. I like Bortles and Yeldon. They need to keep building through the the draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »