Home

What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have?

This is a discussion on What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #89
Rookie

fonzy003's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienekes
"What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have?"

1. The Crib!!! Awesome!!

2. Inclusion of football gurus such as Steve O, Carmen Elektra and David Arquette! I miss this so much...

3. HORRIBLE db AI. A personal fave was the CB swat after the pass completion AND after the reciever was already headed downfield.

4. A stellar franchise mode including fabulous trades such as P. Manning for Patrick Ramsey.

5. The inability to change your depth chart at certain positions.

6. I could go with many other things but lets just leave itbe for now.

7. Everybody's favorite cover boy and athlete.......TO!!!! Sorry couldn't resist 1 more!
8. When players were tackled they would about slide about 3 or 4 yards like they were playing on ice.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #90
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Just keeping score for the original poster. Summary of all the things listed in this thread so far, plus a few of my own...

What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have?:

-Gang Tackling
-Double-team blocking
-Automatic O-line avoidance animations (meaning zero Mario-running)
-Maximum passing
-VIP recorded tendacies and the ability to play against others profile
-TV-style presentation
-Game appropriate cutscenes, (riding bike after injury, oxygen mask after big run)
-First Person Football
-Variable challege system
-Max tackling (big hit vs. wrap & tap)
-Realistic ammount of infractions that you can see actually see happening. (Hey! that guy dragged my defender down..thats a hold! Whistle blows. )
-D-lineman that can tackle while still in the blocking animation.
-Weekly Prep
-Deep(er) juke system (Madden is not far behind here)
-QB evade
-Crib
-Replay save
-Sim to end of game
-Customizable stadium music
-Defensive hot routes
-Online leagues
-Referees
-Chain Gang
-Fully animated sideline
-Sideline reporter
-Ability to assign a DB to a specific reciever all game no matter which side of the field he lines up on (defensive matchups)
-Creation of hybrid defenses such as having 4 dlineman, 2 lbs, 2 cbs, 2 ss and 1 fs.
-Fatigue (lol)
-Route running attribute (so underrated, some WR's could get pushed totally off their route)
-Comprehensive at-the-line audibles,
-A real pocket that actually surrounds the QB
-DB hand-fighting at the LOS...inside/oustide techniques
-Accurate face scans and realistic rookie faces based on blended photos. Madden faces = creeeeepy.
-dirt/sod that kicks up (zoom in on it...actually has a grass side and a dirt side. Kinda cool.)
-passing accuracy bonus for throwing on the QB's set-up "bounce"
-different throwing animations for different QB styles (sidearm, etc)
-team specific offensive formations and defensive plays
-records playcalling tendacies and AI that self adjusts to plays called several times
-play call counter showing how many times you've run a particular play
-Weekly wrap-up with highlights (seeing your highlight on Sportscenter? Priceless)
-Thick layer of dust (LMAO)
*also:
-Ability to set up and watch CPU vs. CPU games.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited by HMcCoy; 08-26-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #91
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't feel like I have anything new to add, but I'll post anyway...

I miss NFL 2k deeply, but I've also tried to make the best out of Madden. Part of it for me, at least, is mental.

I love watching CPU vs. CPU games in my franchise, to see what's happening w/ other teams. And I heard that is not on Madden 360. That's crazy to me. I had been playing Madden on ps2 all week, sulking that we didn't have a demo or sideline cam (both those cams flatter Madden's graphics the most, IMO) for watching CPU vs. CPU games, but when someone said Madden 360 didn't allow you to view CPU games at all, I became thankful that even though we lost camera angles on current gen, I could at least watch games. Overall it sucks because as the years go by and the technology gets better, we shouldn't be losing features and options. But we are (like player editor and mutiple cams on 360), and I don't understand it.

I think that people are not only going to be comparing Madden 07 to 2k5, but also comparing Madden 07 to previous versions of Madden. And I think people are right to do both. For whatever reason, we take a step forward in one area, and a step back in others. And this not only goes for Madden or EA, imo. I see it on other sports games too, and once again, I scratch my head.

I could go on and on...but really, what I want at this point, is to make Madden as fun as possible (fun for me is a combo of graphics, gameplay and user options). And that may mean, for me, playing Madden 06 (or NFL 2k5) on the current gen.

And in the year 2006, it shouldn't have to be that way.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

Last edited by inkcil; 08-26-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #92
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Just keeping score for the original poster. Summary of all the things listed in this thread so far, plus a few of my own...

-Gang Tackling
-Double-team blocking
-Maximum passing
-TV-style presentation
-Game appropriate cutscenes, (riding bike after injury, oxygen mask after big run)
-First Person Football
-Realistic ammount of infractions that you can see actually see happening. (Hey! that guy dragged my defender down..thats a hold! Whistle blows. )
-Weekly Prep
-QB evade
-Crib
-Replay save
-Sim to end of game
-Defensive hot routes
-Online leagues
-Referees
-Chain Gang
-Fully animated sideline
-Sideline reporter
-Ability to assign a DB to a specific reciever all game no matter which side of the field he lines up on (defensive matchups)
-Creation of hybrid defenses such as having 4 dlineman, 2 lbs, 2 cbs, 2 ss and 1 fs.
-Fatigue (lol)
-Route running attribute (so underrated, some WR's could get pushed totally off their route)
-Accurate face scans and realistic rookie faces based on blended photos. Madden faces = creeeeepy.
-dirt/sod that kicks up (zoom in on it...actually has a grass side and a dirt side. Kinda cool.)
-records playcalling tendacies and AI that self adjusts to plays called several times
-Weekly wrap-up with highlights (seeing your highlight on Sportscenter? Priceless)
*also:

Did I miss anything?
Nope i think you got about everything. although you probably added a few things that didnt need to be there like the faces, the faces from 2k were downright freakish
Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #93
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

How hard would it be to code defensive matchups?* This has driven me nuts for a few years of Madden now...

*Note - this is rhetorical.

Edit - That said, I thought 2k5 was worse than Madden that year. I could see why some people loved... I didn't though.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 4

-Season Mode.
-Facemask Penalty.
-Crowd and player celebrations that are appropriate to the game situation.
-Custom audibles that can be saved (some don't save in Madden 360).
-Full motion video replays and the ability to save them.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 1

there's a lot of game breaking things for me that nfk 2k5 has that madden still doesn't.

After playing 2k5 for a bit, seeing madden makes me laugh. The immersion of real simulation football goes right out the window when playing madden with my friends.

I for one, who was a long time EA/Madden fanboy, simply because the best hockey/football/basketball games at one time were from EA, have jumped ship and i've become a 2k sports fanboy.

I can't even look at madden anymore, it was that bad compared to 2k5, and it was 2k5 that really make me have a liking into the philosophy of 2ksports and its attempt to simulate REAL football and basketball. I played past 2k games, like 2k2 for dreamcast, but i was still an EA fan.

Then randomly i bought 2k5 for like 4 bucks (everyone i know had madden) and wow, group tackling and gameplay sold me.

Then i wanted to get nfl 2k6, lo and behold, i search the internet for it and then i read this little article that says EA buys out nfl license... #$%#$%#%$#

And to be honest, its not even that much of torture not playing a new football game for two year or so, because 2k5 was light years ahead of 06 and apparently 07 that i probably wouldn't even have fun playing it.

Anyways, if i do feen for a little football i'll pop in the 2k5 and probably won't buy a new football game til the exclusive license ends.

I'll continue to boycott EA games (i've grown to hate them now) and support 2k sports with my money. BTW, 2k7 = game of the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #96
MVP

OVR: 12
Wink Re: What does NFL 2K5 have that Madden still doesn't have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy

-Gang Tackling
-Double-team blocking
-Maximum passing
-TV-style presentation
-First Person Football
-Weekly Prep
-QB evade
-Crib
-Replay save
-Sim to end of game
-Defensive hot routes
-Online leagues
-Referees
-Chain Gang
-Fully animated sideline
-Sideline reporter
-Fatigue (lol)
*also:

Did I miss anything?
-complex on the fly player interactions,
-almost all animations are interuptable,
-abilty to break tackles after getting wrapped up ( unless help arrives)
-insainly varried tackles, (seemingly based on player positions and other variables)
- choice of sprinting or bracing for a intense move
are just a few more.
but it doesnt matter this is pointless now. madden fans dont care, nore do the shirts at EA.

by the way, i never see any 2k5 fans say it was perfect, just that its leauges ahead of the comp. but not perfect...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »