Home

EA Claims Gran Turismo 5 is Very Sterile, Codemasters Accuses it as Being Boring

This is a discussion on EA Claims Gran Turismo 5 is Very Sterile, Codemasters Accuses it as Being Boring within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA Claims Gran Turismo 5 is Very Sterile, Codemasters Accuses it as Being Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Beyer
They have with NFS Shift.
SimBin didn't make Shift. They have made several great racing games for the PC as well as Race Pro for the 360. I'm really hoping they make a Race Pro 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #26
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: EA Claims Gran Turismo 5 is Very Sterile, Codemasters Accuses it as Being Boring

The beauty and fun of Gran Turismo is in Enigma's post and more so for me in the performance on the track. Gran Turismo is the most accurate "driving" sim on a console, period. Not the most accurate crashing sim. I have seen tons of people bash the game because of poor crash physics and even one comment that stated "if I drive into the braking car in front of me going 120 it should create a huge crash and a game cant call itself a driving sim if it doesnt."

Bottom line is if you make a habit of hitting a breaking car in front of you going 120 then GT is not the game for you. Thats why games like Burnout and Hot Pursuit have a market and following.

GT's brilliance on the track is found in its attention to the physics of the car and the demand of perfecting driving lines.

I can tell you as someone fortuante enough to have a G27 it is more than "fun" when you pull off a perfect heel toe shift in a race to execute a pass coming out of a corner. Sorry but no other game on a console comes close to replicating the benefits of proper driving and footwork as GT. I could care less about crash physics because after the first month or so I generally race more solo trying to best lap times anyway. After the initial group of players leave I might go online once the bumper cars phases its way out of online.

Different people have fun with different games. As someone really into racing I find most of the Need for Speed series extremely boring, including the highly reviewed Hot Pursuit. After the first 30 minutes of driving fast to initiate a similar crash animation over and over the game really didnt have much to offer.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
The beauty and fun of Gran Turismo is in Enigma's post and more so for me in the performance on the track. Gran Turismo is the most accurate "driving" sim on a console, period. Not the most accurate crashing sim. I have seen tons of people bash the game because of poor crash physics and even one comment that stated "if I drive into the braking car in front of me going 120 it should create a huge crash and a game cant call itself a driving sim if it doesnt."

Bottom line is if you make a habit of hitting a breaking car in front of you going 120 then GT is not the game for you. Thats why games like Burnout and Hot Pursuit have a market and following.

GT's brilliance on the track is found in its attention to the physics of the car and the demand of perfecting driving lines.

I can tell you as someone fortuante enough to have a G27 it is more than "fun" when you pull off a perfect heel toe shift in a race to execute a pass coming out of a corner. Sorry but no other game on a console comes close to replicating the benefits of proper driving and footwork as GT. I could care less about crash physics because after the first month or so I generally race more solo trying to best lap times anyway. After the initial group of players leave I might go online once the bumper cars phases its way out of online.

Different people have fun with different games. As someone really into racing I find most of the Need for Speed series extremely boring, including the highly reviewed Hot Pursuit. After the first 30 minutes of driving fast to initiate a similar crash animation over and over the game really didnt have much to offer.
Well said. I feel the exact same way 100%.

The game comes as close as it gets to myself personally, to getting behind the wheel of some cars I would never be able to in real life, let alone see in person. And lets me feel as close as it gets to how the car will handle and respond to me driving it.

That is not replicated in any other game to such detail on any other console. And while this may not be for everyone, it is for car enthusiasts, and that has been known since it's days on the PS2.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 11-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

EA/Codemasters = LMAO

GT5 = Perfection
Old 11-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #29
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

EA has some nerve talking about other games being sterile. Don't throw stones...

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
Banned

tKlausEffect's Arena

OVR: 1

EA can blast other people's franchises when they actually release a playable product. "Boring" and "sterile" from the same company that dumps both of it's basketball games and has not produced a nascar game for years...as well as the most bland version of Madden yet. GT5 is an outstanding game; the latest edition of the franchise that defined driving sims. I may never spend another dime on EA.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
SimBin didn't make Shift. They have made several great racing games for the PC as well as Race Pro for the 360. I'm really hoping they make a Race Pro 2.
They did. Shift was developed by Slightly Mad Studios. Pretty much the entire team of the studio is made up of ex-SimBin guys from the golden SimBin days of GTR and GTR2. Since GTR2 many developers have left SimBin. The SimBin of today has little to do with the SimBin that developed the great Sims. SimBin now just throws up little interesting touring car sims with dated graphics. The guys that made SimBin great are all Slightly Mad now and they made Shift for EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tKlausEffect
EA can blast other people's franchises when they actually release a playable product. "Boring" and "sterile" from the same company that dumps both of it's basketball games and has not produced a nascar game for years...as well as the most bland version of Madden yet. GT5 is an outstanding game; the latest edition of the franchise that defined driving sims. I may never spend another dime on EA.
It's funny, when I was first playing GT5 the first day or so I was thinking: "Man, EA could really learn a lot from Polyphony. It's obvious they passionately care about details and quality."

But, what does EA do? They blast them publicly, and make themselves look even more foolish. After the fiasco that was NBA Elite 11, you would think they would have been humbled. Obviously not.

Just a superficial observation, but I think it is has been proven true, at least in my mind...

EA is only interested in their bottom line, not overly concerned about the quality of their products. There are a few exceptions of course, but seems as if most of what they put out the past decade would come under that umbrella. Especially Sports Games. The NHL franchise is pretty much the only one that I am interested in. Doubt that their Football and Basketball games can win me back.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 11-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »